Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's so perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Well, it's still 4 cylinders short of where it needs to be, but it's an excellent start

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Still alive, getting closer and closer to going home. Things got busy again so I've not had much time to think about car and tool stuff

Trying to work a deal on a Smithy with a shitload of tooling. Also I need to keep off of craigslist.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Back home y'all

Needed to stock back up on the essentials.

Updates are going to be low quality until my internet gets fixed. This is all being done by phone for now.

I went to Import Alliance just to hang out with some old friends. I saw some great cars too, I'll share all the pictures soon. I left IA straight for Indiana to meet back up with my dogs. It took Heidi a few hours to realize who I was. She's happy to have me home :d:

Syri and Heidi finally got to meet! Syri doesn't recognize me yet - going to spend some more one on one time with her and try to ease her into living with me and Heidi.

I also picked up THE WAGON. All my cars are at the house now short of the 2 Mercedes.

I need to clean and organize the garage before too much happens. Also goddamn I owe a lot in reg fees!

Wagon trip report: suspension vibrates a lot, so I guess I'm gonna get all the suspension bits I want and do it all at once.

Lots of weird noises!

Despite being down on power compared to the 540i, it still cruises at 100 just as easy.

I've got a decent amount of bodywork to do. I LOVE Oxford Green in person, though.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So it's taken me a while to update the post

Yeah.

ANYWAY I went to Import Alliance because I was in town. Here's a lot of pictures of neat cars.

Yes, that's a turbo K20 in a boat

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So I haven't done dick in my garage yet. It's a clusterfuck.

I've been cleaning the house, running errands, and unwinding mostly. SO MUCH MOUSE POOP! I've been laying a bunch of traps and sealing off anything they can chew on.

I finally completed the most important task:

Bringing Syri home! She came home with me today. It's going to be a bit of an adjustment for her - I need to keep a close eye on Heidi because she wants to play ALL THE TIME and Syri ain't like that. A few time-outs for Heidi and things are getting better.

They do play fantastically together, but Heidi just has way more energy. They both love being outside so much - I finally ordered an invisible fence to secure most of the yard for them. I need to talk to a fence guy about building a nice big kennel & run for the two of them.

I made a run to a local scrap yard and metal shop and picked up a bunch of junk and remnants. I've got enough to put the e30 front clip on casters now, and plenty of pieces for the odd bit of fabrication.

I stopped in my friend's shop a few times and caught this shot of an X5 on their lift - the same one I want to order:

I need to go ahead and just order it - no sign of the tariffs dropping off and getting the price back down sadly.

Some lovely flowers growing in my meadow!

Tomorrow beings the garage work. I have a large lot of equipment I'm eyeing right now, and I need to make sure there's space for it if I can work out a deal.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That yellow 510 is the stuff my heart longs for. I’m a BMW guy to the core but I’d take a minty fresh 510 over a 2002 and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What did they stuff into that Miata?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mariooncrack posted:

K20 or K24

That TME Evo is pretty fuckin sick

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Time to start unfucking the garage!

Tools and junk everywhere. The side area is worse.

I've also got a hoard of S14 parts to identify. The engine should be a 2.5L.

Gotta take some measurements

Meanwhile:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

INTERMISSION

This would be easier if I had more dolleys

The fabrication area is coming together! I've got a TIG welder on the way too! Now what about the rest of the jun

Oh.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I swear by those small $11 harbor freight dollies, they'll take way more load than you'd think they would.

And if you break it you're out 11 dollars.

Loving the thread, pass a few extra skritches to the doggos for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I think I'm up to five sets (of four) of those HF furniture dollies, they work great and I'm yet to break one.

Any chance you'll make NC E30 Octoberfest at VIR? I registered but still not sure if I'll be able to squeeze it in.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That yellow 510 is the stuff my heart longs for. I’m a BMW guy to the core but I’d take a minty fresh 510 over a 2002 and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

I like 510s but I've never driven one. Seems like they would feel similar to the 02? I'm firmly in the 02 camp though - 510s are cool I just like 02s way more

mariooncrack posted:

I think it was a K24 build. Papaya Motorsports built the car. Sounded awesome - the owner and shop are all friends so maybe I can talk my way behind the driver's seat one day!

I have a few HF dolleys but they are all taken at the moment. I need more for sure.

I won't make it to Octoberfest - too much on my plate for the rest of the year I think. I'll be at the brodeo though!

Things are slightly better in the garage! That hoist is extremely cumbersome btw. I think I should upgrade to a folding one because this one is kinda a pain and takes up too much space.

First two on the chopping block. 135i is getting oil change + new battery and the e30 is getting an oil change + the dipstick tube rewelded (I did a lovely job the first time)

The first of the new tools came in recently and I finally unboxed them!

I had a VERY tired Hitachi Drill + Impact set that this replaced. I'm most excited about the stubby impact and the ratchet!

Meanwhile outside:

The dogs were playing King of the Hill over a hole they dug together

Back inside:

I grabbed all the oil filters I had sitting around for a quick inventory

Why the gently caress do I have a VW filter?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The S2870A fits several BMW models, including the E30 325i.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That explains it! Still useless to me but I think I have a friend I can give it to. Somehow I've never owned an M20 e30

CAR STATUS

135i: Alive
Brown e30: Alive
Truck: Alive and getting new tires tomorrow! And new u-joints! No more shaky shaky
Wagon: Alive
White e34: Chargin'
Black e30: ded
M3: also ded
Mercedes both: Still not at my house

I think tomorrow is the day of burnouts

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Most of that Milwaukee kit is in my Amazon wish list. Good poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Most of that Milwaukee kit is in my Amazon wish list. Good poo poo.

dont buy them from amazon though, they are not an approved reseller of milw

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Hey thread! It's been a while!

I'd like to say I've been busy, but I really haven't. I've gotten adjusted to being back in the states now, so I've started to pick things up again!

I took some time to fix a small vacuum leak on the brown e30 and finally solved my intermittent misfire issue. There was a pinhole leak where I modified the dipstick for the OBD2 e36 PCV system. Should have fixed it ages ago.

The truck is much happier with tires made this century. The 135i definitely needs a new valve cover - my attempt at fixing the crack didn't work and it's still leaking oil into the spark plug wells. It has a new set of coil packs, and I bought new o-rings for the charge piping because of a suspected boost leak.

The garage is a loving mess. There was a company being liquidated nearby and I picked up a ton of stuff at auction. I picked up all kinds of shelves, storage, tools, an industrial sandblasting cabinet, and ended up with a laser somehow. I've been slowly moving things into the pole barn to make room, and assembling shelving

Also I finally pulled the trigger on a lift! Note the lean on the poor truck

I only had to drive it 3 miles up the street after getting it off the semi.

Now I need to get it off the truck, alone. I really shouldn't be allowed around heavy equipment.

I still have to finish assembling it.

I took a detour to a junkyard / shop down the street. Turns out it's no longer operating, at least for now. It's a family business that's been around for a few generations. They let me take a look around the yard and I found something special!

It's a Daimler Majestic Major! I wonder how it ended up here.

Also the owner is willing to sell it to me. So far all my friends think it's a great idea!

The dogs decided to have some fun in the mud

As a result of the garage being full of crap, everything is outside right now.

Also I found out my 300D is actually a 300SD! I've got a W126 S class, folks!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

So a buddy of mine found a '95 525i in Oxford Green for sale for the low low price of $500 locally. He needed the oil pan bits for his e30 24v swap and I needed a bunch of crap for the wagon project. I met up with him and we headed out into the country.

$400 later and we headed back into town with our new acquisition!

As a '95, it's got body matched side skirts and lower bumper trim as well as revised door panels and leather door pulls! It's exactly what I needed for the wagon.

Also pictured: his badass sailboat

I'll start stripping the car this coming weekend - I should have enough storage space by then to accommodate the extra parts.

I then got to work on the lift

It's functional now, but I still have a lot of work to do in the garage before I can fit a car back in here

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

If nothing else, that engine needs to go into some sort of deuce coupe or something with an exposed engine, because that looks neat as hell.

Also, it looks like you posted twice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That engine looks like a Hemi :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It probably is a gen 1 hemi if its in a desoto. The desoto versions are fuckers to find parts for. :argh:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

It probably is a gen 1 hemi if its in a desoto. The desoto versions are fuckers to find parts for. :argh:

Desoto? Daimler, my dude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_V8_engines

Some guy made a rear-engined dragster using one:

quote:

"The car, named the <i>Glacier Grenade</i>, was the first British-engined car and the first car anywhere in the world under five litres to make a quarter mile
pass in less than eight seconds, eventually running a best of 7.2 at 180 mph. Russ competed in Europe at Mantorp Park, Le Mans and Hockenheim and won the
Euro Series Championship twice in the 1980s. Since retiring from regular driving in 1990 he has kept the car and has exhibited it regularly for over twenty
years."

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, oops. I was thinking of desoto for some reason. Feel free to ignore me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

I won't make it to Octoberfest - too much on my plate for the rest of the year I think. I'll be at the brodeo though!
No Octoberfest for me either, wedding and anniversary weekend. Also pretty sure the Brodeo is on the same weekend I'm racing at Road Atlanta :doh:

So that is 0/3 events I planned on making that I'll make this year.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

No Octoberfest for me either, wedding and anniversary weekend. Also pretty sure the Brodeo is on the same weekend I'm racing at Road Atlanta :doh:

So that is 0/3 events I planned on making that I'll make this year.

You'll be missed my friend. Can't hate on being on track instead!

I finished the lift! It goes down EXTREMELY slowly with no load, and I mean EXTREMELY.

The rest of the shop took some time to get together

I took down the wooden shelving to replace it with some more practical storage

The top layer of shelving is going to serve as a big workbench in the pole barn

After a shitload of work, I consolidated my parts and reorganized things I haven't touched since the move. Tomorrow I'll actually be able to pull cars into the garage! I just need to find out what to do with the spare shelves.

This pile of crap is what I used to store parts in

All the fluids have a good home for now

Most of the parts are living on this shelf now

The fabrication area still needs a few things

These casters are for the e30 engine mock up stand. I'll have to get another set, because I'll be hauling an e34 front clip home soon!

I really like these shelves, and I picked them up for a steal at auction

Welding and PPE found a home in this cabinet, and it fits perfectly against the shelves

Somehow the delivery guy sneaked these in when I was inside. I've got a few more things coming including a trans jack!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

No driving means dead batteries. I haven't driven the wagon at all - it's got the notorious front end shimmy from worn bushings so I've just left it parked while I figure out the order. It's going to get a full suspension overhaul.

The e30 front clip has had a nice part I've been meaning to grab - a 325i cluster!

Hopefully being outside hasn't harmed it much.

The lift works! After raising and lowering the wagon a few times it descends properly now. The wagon is pristine underneath, not counting the leaks of course. Everything leaks. EVERYTHING.

The rest of my HF goodies started coming in, only they didnt ship my trans jack. Might have to pick that up in store.

The engine stands are awaiting the S14 and the M52 respectively

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Awesome.

Is that the ideal msc-6klp? Were you able to find it discounted anywhere? Cheapest I see is $3245 shipped from garageappeal.com.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Love those Daytona jacks, I wanted to get one but I need to pick it up so that was no bueno for my back, it's fuckin heavy

Can't wait to see that wagon all buttoned up it's gonna be sweet.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You're living the dream

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Awesome.

Is that the ideal msc-6klp? Were you able to find it discounted anywhere? Cheapest I see is $3245 shipped from garageappeal.com.

It is! And yeah, the price got jacked up from ~ $2500 due to tariffs. Sucks - thats about what I ended up paying.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Love those Daytona jacks, I wanted to get one but I need to pick it up so that was no bueno for my back, it's fuckin heavy

Can't wait to see that wagon all buttoned up it's gonna be sweet.

I had no idea it was going to be this heavy. Thankfully I've got an old POS aluminum jack if I ever need to transport one.

I'm excited too! I was going to take apart the e34 parts car today but I think I'm going to save that for first thing tomorrow morning. Working on the pole barn, the last bits of the garage, and the 135i today. It needs new plugs and charge pipe seals.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
:kimchi:

Replaced the plugs in the 135i. Still need to reset adaptations.

FINALLY made room in the garage to park the cars in it again!

Decided to put some of my junkyard finds into the brown car. The hazard switch has been broken, rendering the turn signals inoperable.

Only it wouldn't plug in, so I decided to try swapping housings

Unfortunately they are completely different. I snipped off the plastic locating pin that was keeping me from plugging it in and it worked fine.

The touring hatch release latches don't work - turns out the harnesses get some issues and need to be repaired.

I'll have to pull them out and go over them.

Working on setting up the fabrication area!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Also I bought an e32

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I hope there are equal length headers in the future

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That's the plan! They'll be the first headers I'll be fabbing from scratch.

I gave the engine a quick clean before I brought it inside.

I tried to get a picture of the weight - BMW claims ~617lb. I measured 635lb, minus 65 lb of chain, leveler, and stand, putting it around 570. The camera wouldn't capture the scale readout. The missing accessories probably account for the extra weight. I should be able to shed a few pounds with various deleted components and lighter manifolds.

Goddamn this thing looks cool.

Distractions aside, my first priority is getting the brown car ready for the Dragon in the fall. There's a lot of small annoying problems to fix. Also it might need a new battery, and I found a screw in one of the tires. Time for some RE71-Rs!

First off, the speakers. They rattle and sound like poo poo. Pretty sure at least one of them is blown. Sure enough:

I have "premium" sound in this car. You get four tweeters and 4 5.25" speakers. The stock speakers actually have a lot of bass for their size, making it hard to find direct replacements that match them. Since mine are hosed I don't think I'll notice a downgrade. Also, apparently one of the factory tweeters was haphazardly exchanged for some random aftermarket one - the left and right sides in the rear shelf don't match. I've got some stereo wiring to clean up too. Some of it is my doing, some of it was done before me.

I've been missing various bits of interior trim, the biggest being the headliner but that's going to wait. I picked up some door pillar trim from the yard and tossed it on.

My cig lighter mount in the front ash tray is slightly broken, making it push out whenever I try to plug in a charger. I had a spare one off the front clip so I checked it out to see if it was salvageable.

This is the backside of the tray, where the lighter housing snaps in.

Unfortunately the spare was hosed

Nothing usable. Also my "good" unit has a bit of corrosion on the bottom.

Turns out the factory lighter housing is still available and costs $10. Gonna pick up one of those voltmeter / USB ports for it and JB weld the housing in place or something.

My car had a 13 button on board computer, but it broke. I found one off an e28 and decided to try it. It looks better than the six button that's filling up the hole anyway.

Actually getting to it is a bit of a bitch - the screws that hold it in place are on the back side, and you need to go thru the glove box to get there.

Then while I was in there, I decided to fix the heater controls - I broke some of the cable stays when I removed it the wrong way ages ago and one of the vent controls is inoperable.

I put in the factory "Oh poo poo!" handles too. Should make getting in and out of that seat easier

It got a bit out of hand. I should have it all button up after the speakers come in. Going to replace all the instrument bulbs and dash bulbs too while I have it apart!

Remaining tasks:

Burn off the remaining tread on all 4 tires
Diagnose and fix slow windows
Fix driver's window track
Fix / Replace wiper motor (intermittent mode doesn't work, and it's the motor, not the relay. FUN!)
Reinstall the wind blocker for the sunroof
Redo the sunroof panel upholstery
Redesign the rear brake setup to use a drat parking brake - 135i rotors might work and I've got a set from my last brake change in mine to test. This requires pulling and replacing the rear wheel bearings :( (they're pretty new)
Adjust suspension as needed with new sticky rubber
Replace tired RTAB bushings and see if it fixes my toe out on the driver's side rear. If not I can probably get the trailing arm straightened at a frame shop on the cheap so says the forums
Figure out what is causing slop in the steering rack
Maybe wire up a horn again
Replace blower motor resistor pack
Wax the fucker
Make a straight pipe axle back for shits and giggles
Fabricate an intake to replace the factory stuff, or at least a bracket to hold the filter
Mount the e92 M3 speed cloth seats maybe, and reinstall the seat belts. Gotta decide if I want to drive another 8 hours down to NC in a bucket with a six point harness or not. It's really nice on the tail, sucks everywhere else.

Maybe I'll still get the V8 in ther

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2019

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Mount the e92 M3 speed cloth seats maybe, and reinstall the seat belts. Gotta decide if I want to drive another 8 hours down to NC in a bucket with a six point harness or not. It's really nice on the tail, sucks everywhere else.

Put the bucket in the passenger spot for the drive down then swap them when you arrive. Hell swing by my place if you're coming down early and we can swap it.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Put the bucket in the passenger spot for the drive down then swap them when you arrive. Hell swing by my place if you're coming down early and we can swap it.

Plus I get to see all your toys!

Okay so, technically I have 12 cars now, because I bought 3 parts cars. The most recent is an early model e30 I nabbed because I needed the hood. Oops. I need to do something about this eventually

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Heh, if I had the space I'd be doing the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Okay so, technically I have 12 cars now, because I bought 3 parts cars. The most recent is an early model e30 I nabbed because I needed the hood. Oops. I need to do something about this eventually

Space is the only thing keeping my cars to a somewhat reasonable level of 8. Low garage ceiling suck but I'm pretty sure I can stack formula cars so I'm keeping an eye out for used lifts.