Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Brown car lives again! You should totally do the :krad: seats

Still planning on fall brodeo?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

The garage is a mess. Every single car needs a laundry list of things. I was going to have my hands full when I came back from my trip, and that's before I got one two more cars and another dog

More dog and more cars, living the life

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:five:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meltie posted:

Stupid question; two independent megasquirts, one for each bank?

That would be true to BMW, they had a separate ECU for each bank on the M70
"The M70 has two Motronic 1.7[7] ECUs (one for each cylinder bank). To provide redundancy, the M70 also has two fuel pumps, fuel rails, distributors, mass air flow sensors, crankshaft position sensors, coolant temperature sensors and throttle bodies.[8]"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

I'm pulling the trigger on a lift! A local shop uses one of these and loves it. It's more convenient than a two most, and I can wheel it out of the way when I'm not using it. I checked out an e46 on this lift at the shop, and there was plenty of room to drop the transmission. With all the work on my plate I really need to make things easier on myself.

I think I mentioned this to you but my Dad picked one of those up last summer or fall and loves it. It does lean a little on the outward side which is a little unnerving but it seems sturdy. Even with the Yukon/Van/Model3 on it it was fine. I'd recommend recruiting a couple people to help you get it setup, standing the beam up is a multi-person event.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I think I'm up to five sets (of four) of those HF furniture dollies, they work great and I'm yet to break one.

Any chance you'll make NC E30 Octoberfest at VIR? I registered but still not sure if I'll be able to squeeze it in.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

I won't make it to Octoberfest - too much on my plate for the rest of the year I think. I'll be at the brodeo though!
No Octoberfest for me either, wedding and anniversary weekend. Also pretty sure the Brodeo is on the same weekend I'm racing at Road Atlanta :doh:

So that is 0/3 events I planned on making that I'll make this year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Mount the e92 M3 speed cloth seats maybe, and reinstall the seat belts. Gotta decide if I want to drive another 8 hours down to NC in a bucket with a six point harness or not. It's really nice on the tail, sucks everywhere else.

Put the bucket in the passenger spot for the drive down then swap them when you arrive. Hell swing by my place if you're coming down early and we can swap it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Okay so, technically I have 12 cars now, because I bought 3 parts cars. The most recent is an early model e30 I nabbed because I needed the hood. Oops. I need to do something about this eventually

Space is the only thing keeping my cars to a somewhat reasonable level of 8. Low garage ceiling suck but I'm pretty sure I can stack formula cars so I'm keeping an eye out for used lifts.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Also I need to stay off FB marketplace.

I don't need it.

DO IT :getin: I've decided if I get a dedicated hauler it'll be an older step van, just need to find one with a six foot wide rear door.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That was what I was planning when I was looking at a ramp truck, they're fairly easy to bag but the ramp surface may limit how low you can go. I'd do the same thing if I go the step van route. Arrive at track, dump the rear and raise the front so you don't need super long ramps and your angle is safe for low cars.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Starting to look like a real shop pretty quickly. Good luck on the MR2

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yup, check/lube the cable then verify the clutch and brake switch aren't sticking.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

I need to remove the garage door opener and convert to a jackshaft type opener. I can't get enough height to use my high rise jackstands and transmissions jacks right now

You could look into a 'high lift' kit for the garage door, would raise the opener and rails up against the ceiling. Jackshaft style will open up more space as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

This is why I bought it. 6/12 bolts line up, enough to make the rest of the fab work a breeze. ITS GOING TO WORK

:getin: 6/12 is not bad, plenty enough to hold things in place to fab up the other six.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Good to see you made it to the Brodeo, hoping to be there for one of them this year.

If you guys want any input on lemons/chump/wrl car prep or are ever looking for a driver let me know. Our car wasn't the fastest, heavy rear end convertible, but we rarely had a DNF and it was super easy to drive...it's currently being run around the country in vintage racing. I miss the endurance racing and weekends at the track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

Thanks man! You were missed. Give me a ton of poo poo if I haven't finished my V8 swap by spring

Monthly check on how that V8 swap is going.

\/\/ I know the feeling \/\/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 5, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That was a good 135i, I certainly thought about reaching out to you a few times to see if it was still for sale but covid and not driving really put a damper on that.

I've lost count how many cars my brother has had go back and forth.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

I now have two blown M50s kicking around - the original one in the car and the one I swapped in from the e34 that blew. I guess I can find out how cheaply I can build a 3.0L! I guess they can live in the barn for now.
Disposable M50's are great fun, build it up then when it blows up build another.

That's such a good color on the MR2.

You heading to the spring Brodeo?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

One option is rod end seals, somewhat common to see on road going rod ends or in rally applications. Probably still less than ideal for a daily driver but for something that only sees a few thousand miles a year you'll probably be fine. Make it a thing you clean, inspect and re-grease every quarter and I'd think you would be ok.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3077-001

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Some great fab work there, excited to see brown car next time you're down this way.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sounds great!

How much of that list do you hope to knock out by Brodeo time? I need to check dates and take a couple days off even if I just hang out and nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This!