Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Party Alarm posted:

Disclaimer: still in a desert going insane

So, I've been researching things. The N73 is extremely complicated and would be very, very difficult to swap.There's no way I'd try running this with the stock engine management.

It's got valvetronic (variable lift), vanos (variable valve timing), and direct injection. Of the three, megasquirt can control dual vanos, though I don't know if anyone has tried dual vanos control on an engine with two banks before.

Valvetronic: A video! It actually features the N73's valvetrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9JA5vwj-NU&t=36s

Lift is controlled via a single stepper motor per bank. Based on researching some valvetronic failures, it looks like you can just manually actuate the stepper and drive the system to full lift and leave it there. Feasible!

Dual VANOS:

Okay so, VANOS is just BMW's variable valve timing. Apparently Megasquirt 3 pro can handle this, but I doubt it's ever been tried with an N73. That's a crapshoot. A few companies make vanos eliminators - they use a few machined plates to lock the cams in place. Maybe I could make some. Maybe.

Stupid question; two independent megasquirts, one for each bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU