Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Let me guess the front tyre sizes were something like 205/50/16 on the front of the mr2, you don't run into issues with normal struts using that size tyre but if you run coilovers with higher offset wheels it scrapes on one side like that.

Also the coilovers always have tighter wheel clearance between the strut and the wheel compared to the normal struts you get.

I forget what wheels they are, they are a pretty common aftermarket choice for mr2's tho so they should be allright fitment wise. 35 offset 8j 9j staggered is fine for mr2's. Thats what i run, my track wheels are something stupid like 29 offset and with the correct sized tyres they don't rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

I installed some tension rods to adjust caster, but found they have a different angle than the stock arms and don't fit properly. I fitted them to the car temporarily but they deflect the control arm bushing more than I would like. I plan on buying some proper ones from Wilhelm Raceworks along with his geometry adjustment kit.

Are you tracking this car at all? If not there is 0 point in doing stuff like tension rods and that entire wilhelm geometry kit.

Unless you’ve got a good plan to cover up all the exposed rosejoints on the geometry kit. But even then honestly I wouldn’t trust them to hold up on a car used on the road or in the wet on a regularish basis.

Really just replacing all the old bushes, whiteline sways along with your coilovers and a decent alignment should be enough.

Even then on track I’ve been fine without the adjustable caster. I did have some on my old car more than 10 years ago and they did make a nice difference but unless you want to like use the car in competitions or something having all that adjustability(from the wilhelm kit too) is kinda overkill.

I would’ve said don’t even bother with coilovers although I know that fortune are meant to be decently tailored to the SW but they are a US centric brand so idk. I ran H&R coilovers on track and they lasted about 5 years although they were completely shot at the end of that. Running B6’s now and they work fine.

Koni yellows or Billstein B6’s would’ve been fine with a decent spring combo and new oe topmounts.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

Great username / post combo

I may end up tracking it eventually, but I definitely intend on sending it hard up at the Dragon sometime in the future after I get used to the chassis in some autocross sessions or something. My rear tie rods and some bushings are shot, and the car is lowered quite a bit, so it seems like a no brainer to spend a little extra on the geometry kit. Alex Wilhelm does a lot of good engineering.

The car is not a daily driver. I'm not concerned about the rod ends. They are used extensively on many different on-road applications. You just need to be aware they are a wear item and inspect them regularly. With the mileage I put on these things (sub 5000 a year, sometimes much less than that) the inspection period won't be annoying.

I had some uneven caster left to right. It was either due to worn bushings or accident damage - it may have been contained to the struts, I can't say because I swapped tension rods with the new coils as well when I noticed the bushings were dry rotted. It helped my tire clearance considerably and stopped them from rubbing the rear fender liners.

The car already have Tien coils on it, so I lacked the OE from strut housings and whatnot. I got a screaming deal on the FAs so it was worth it to me!

Yeah lol the name is a bit on the nose haha, a mod renamed me this when I posted too many RCR videos ages ago.

I’ve had people buying that geometry kit over here for cars pretty much only used on the road which seems like a bad idea.

I’ve got no doubts he makes decent stuff, I run his Wilwood BBK, are the rod ends generic? Part of the reason I didn’t go for his kit was because I didn’t want to have to wait around for shipping to europe if an arm gets bent or I need a replacment rod end. He’s also managed to convert his own car to double wishbone which is crazy same with the custom hubs.

Like I said the fortune coilovers are probably fine anyway, they just aren’t available easily over here.

When you say the rear tie rods, do you mean the secondary arms that go into the rear subframe that are used to adjust toe? If it’s the inner part then it’s a bit of a ballache as to sort it you might have to cut a small hole in the subframe to get access.

If you have play in those the car will drive like rear end as the rear toe will just be all over the place. I might be wrong but it’s been ages since I’ve seen a car with those issues.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man you’ve honestly tempted me to go for that kit, I had a bad experience with one of the very early bumpsteer correction kits a loooong time ago. I think it was a techno toy tuning one that didn’t even fit correctly and the joints died in like a month.

Well if I do hang onto the car that is. I’d also really be tempted by those replacement uprights he makes too. Being able to swap out the bearings like that would be brilliant.

It is just the salt exposure I’d be worried about, mine goes into storage through the winter but I have done the odd track day in december and also sometimes they will still salt the roads here up to April depending on the weather.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 5, 2022