Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

teh_Broseph posted:

Bunch of different moves to pick what to map to buttons, a weird style meter, more Tekken-ey hand to hand combat, one of the first mobs turning in to a demon and totally wrecking me till I ACTIVATED THE GOD HAND, a devil trigger meter and meter for ability charges, tank controls, some dude did an E Honda flying headbutt at me. I'm still in the first few rooms and wow there's a lot to unpack and get used to wth is going on here but I'm down with it.

Oh god yes this is going to be a fantastic rundown.

You're going to loving love GODHAND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/platinum-glad-it-did-a-lot-of-intel-gathering-on-wonderful-101-switch/

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/platinum-glad-it-did-a-lot-of-intel-gathering-on-wonderful-101-switch/ posted:

The Wonderful 101 is obviously something that we hold near and dear to our hearts. And so we’ve talked to a lot of different people about what it is and what it means,” Inaba said.

“We’ve done a lot of intel gathering and the only thing that I can say right now is that I’m glad we did. I’m glad that we talked to a lot of different people.”

Nintendo is the rights holder to the Wonderful 101 IP.

Platinum has been openly self-deprecating about the game’s sales performance on Wii U, previously jokingthat it had sold only ’13 copies.’ It’s believed the game performed poorly, with just 5,000 copies sold in its first week of availability in Japan.

Platinum has developed a strong relationship with Nintendo over the past few years. The studio ported Bayonetta and its sequel to Switch in 2018 and has at least two further Nintendo-published titles in development,  Bayonetta 3 and  Astral Chain.

Upcoming Platinum sequel Bayonetta 3 was absent from E3 2019. However, Inaba told VGC that Bayonetta 3 development is “going well”.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Aight, Ninja Gaiden Black let's do this. OK despite

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1134499625304514561

I am weak, and am shelving NGB for now at the Master Ninja runthrough with a save left at the first boss who I died to repeatedly. Totally still plan on doing that run, but it's gonna be a grind and for now I'd rather move on and knock out probably 3 other games in the time it'd take me to do it. The way the difficulties scale I have a solid gist of everything, and by Very Hard all the enemies have been introduced.

NGB is flippin' great! It's a top 3 action game for sure. Available now for :10bux: on the Xbone store, buy it, play it, enjoy it. I do have some strong disagreements with some of the presentation though to get out of the way. Original release (aka NG04) you have Normal, Hard, Very Hard. Then in NGB you have Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Master Ninja. Kind of like DMC3 US/JP/SE, the Hard difficulty in NG04 = Normal in NGB. To get to Easy mode in NGB you have to die 3 (?) times in the first level on Normal, then you get a prompt. The prompt asks 'oh you don't even want to git gud you scrub?' then calls you poo poo, has your NPC buddy laugh at you, and gives you a feminine ribbon that doesn't do anything to wear for your accessory slot instead of stuff like more damage or more mana regen.

What I would call "Hard" mode and up is awesome and scales incredibly well. Getting there is jacked up though. The game is Tekken-like in that it has a healthy sized list of moves (, weapons, items, and magic) that a lot are very good and effective, but why they're effective and for what situations is not communicated in game like at all. A lot of it is fighting-gamey in that the reasons the moves are good aren't just "does damage and is fast', but things like causes hitstun, breaks guard, has hyperarmor, has iframes. Big complex system that lends itself to learning and executing, but to get the download you really need to go outside the game to find out about it. Game's also fairly unforgiving, and plays differently from other action games. If you run in and mash buttons and try and fight like it's a DMC/Bayo, you'll get destroyed. Then they go and rename "Hard" to "Normal". If you're a new player and just grab NGB off the shelf going hey it's a ninja, cool, see "Normal difficulty" and run in it without knowing anything the game is straight up rude to the player. I mean, the director straight up retuned all the difficulty levels to line up with feedback from really good players in the original game saying they wanted more. The first 1/5 or so of the game is especially brutal too before you get upgrades to your health bar and can afford to stock up on potions; you die real fast. Also there's no NG+, no upgrades or anything carries over between difficulties, so you don't even get that motivation feelgood bump doing an Easy run like playing DMC on Normal knowing it's just to prep both your skills AND your upgrades for the higher difficulties. I think the game would be a lot better to have..bear with me..Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Super Hard, Master Ninja and be re-scaled better at the bottom/middle.

So the good side on difficulty! DMCs are really awesome about difficulty scaling, right? You get babby mode, and as you NG+ through higher difficulties you are steadily given harder challenges that give you a chance to take your increasing weapon/moveset for a spin and overcome the challenges, with this nice pacing of sometimes making you push what you've learned a little farther, to reeling it back so you can flex your practice and dunk on everything. But then you hit the high difficulties and the player can scale way past the game which shifts the gameplay away from "survive to the credit roll" and more to arcade style score attack replays. Which is totally cool and part of the DNA where these kind of games came from. But over in NGB land, I'd say NGB Normal=DMC5 SoS, NGB Hard=DMC5 DMD, then NGB has two more layers they keep cranking it up. To keep playing through those you have to keep pushing your skills and learning the ins and outs of the game mechanics more just to see the credit roll. I think it's really cool that they make these layers that keep scaling up to give you something to keep pushing yourself through besides replaying the exact same content going for high score runs (and NGB has a scoring system too); cause typically it's a different kind of metagame you have to play for doing score runs in games vs. when it's just super hard to survive through.

They put some real work into the repeated higher difficulty run loops, too. Bad action games only change health/damage numbers for higher difficulties. Good action games remix enemy placements. Great action games remix enemy placements at every difficulty and enemy behaviors. NGB will *drumroll* 1) Remix enemy placements and behaviors at every difficulty level, 2) Remix weapon, item, and upgrade placements I'm pretty sure at every difficulty, 3) Add NEW enemies at everything but Master Ninja, and 4) Even remixes the mini boss-rush at the end of the game by subbing in two new bosses for Very Hard/Master Ninja. They even one time, wish they did it more but maybe got too hard/time consuming to do: in the already complicated layout sewer level they moved one of the key items to open a door to a different chest. I was flabbergasted cause I was using a guide to make sure I did the level in the right order and it didn't match up.

The difficulty is overall very fair. Sometimes it just says gently caress you, have some bullshit to deal with. But most of the time it really is just a matter of git gud. It's a great combat system that I'm not surprised at all was made by fighting game devs (three Dead or Alive games ) that generally lets you use whatever weapons, items, etc. that you want. Different things are better in different situations, but it's not like highest difficulty Dante's Inferno/Bayonetta/Metal Gear Rising where you ignore most of what's available cause a handful of options are massively stronger. Enemy attacks and behaviors can be learned and accounted for and reacted to for the most part; there's really not much like the Bayo2 20 frame no audio cue black on a dark red background bullshit attacks.The boss fights are great. Everything is balanced well for getting really hard but not having too much enemy cheese (lookin' at you Bayo2), you aren't required to do bullshit cheese to get through (Tron Evolution), there's no easy bullshit cheese the player can do (Dante's Inferno), and the pool of usable good moves/weapons is really wide (MGR). The only other games I've played that are designed well enough to really hold up to cranking the difficulty levels and still being very interesting and well balanced are DMC1/3/4/5, so it deserves the special callout for putting the work and budget to focus on it. Especially since the DMCs are best in the biz and set standards, but NGB makes wayyy more changes across the difficulty levels. It's a different class of game when it feels more like they designed it around "endgame" and scale down for Normal mode compared to when it feels like it was designed around Normal then everything else is seeing how they can crank it up. Sure, it makes sense to design around the best possible Normal experience cause that's where a bulk of your already somewhat niche audience is going to spend their time and where reviews and all are going to come from, but wow it's great to have the few out there that really hold up the replay value.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
History break pt. 1 on who has been making all these games. The powerhouse is for sure Capcom. Note, the game histories aren't inclusive, just where things overlapped with arcades, fighting games, Resident Evils, and hack n' slashes. Turns out there was a decent amount of crossover in 2D sidescroller/platformers like Mega Man, Castlevania, Aladdin, etc. too (not listed here).

First you have the legend Hideaki Itsuno, who worked on:
Street Fighter Alpha -> Rival Schools -> JoJo's -> Power Stone 1&2 -> Capcom vs SNK -> Project Justice -> Darkstalkers -> CvS2 -> DMC2 -> DMC3 -> DMC4 -> DMC5
Pulled in to DMC2 late in the project to rush fix it enough to be able to kick it out the door, then did DMC3 for a follow-up to make it actually good. Knocked it out of the park. If you ever wondered how DMCs are so good at the "feel" of hits and moves, just look at that fighting game background.

Then in another pocket at Capcom you have:
Hideki Kamiya
Loved Zelda LttP, Gradius, original Castlevania. Worked on:
Resident Evil -> RE2 -> DMC1
Then Producer Shinji Mikami asked him to direct RE4, which turned in to DMC1.

Shinji Mikami
RE -> RE2 -> Dino Crisis -> Onimusha (Advisor) -> DMC1
Worked with Kamiya on the RE games.

Atsushi Inaba
Samurai Shodown -> DMC1
Went from SNK to Capcom to try and work on the next RE, ended up on DMC1.

After DMC1, instead of even telling them about DMC2 being made, Capcom spun Kamiya and Mikami off into independant but still owned by Capcom studio called Clover who went on to make:
Viewtiful Joe 1&2 -> Okami -> God Hand

Capcom closed Clover, and Kamiya and Mikami grabbed Inaba who they worked on DMC1 with, and opened Platinum along with:
Tatsuya Minami, who worked on:
Final Fight 2 -> Street Fighter 2 CE -> RE1 -> Darkstalkers 3

Platinum opens and they make:
MadWorld -> BayoViewtiful Joe 1&2 -> Bayonetta -> Wonderful 101 -> Bayo 2 -> Astral Chain & Bayo 3

In yet another pocket of Capcom there's:
Toshiki Okamoto
Time Pilot -> Gyruss -> 1942 -> Gun.Smoke -> Street Fighter 2 -> Resident Evil
A year after RE1 he says hey, we should make "Sengoku Resident Evil" - RE but you're a ninja in the 1500's. Looks like he didn't get to work on it, but that turned in to Onimusha, handled by:

Keiji Inafune
Street Fighter 1 -> Bunch of Mega Mans -> RE1 Dir Cut -> RE2 -> Onimusha series

Jun Takeuchi
Street Fighter 2 -> RE 1 -> RE1 Dir Cut -> RE2 -> Onimusha series

Onimusha crew was hanging out with DMC crew, cause Kamiya was checking it out before release and found the bug of being able to juggle enemies in the air with sword slashes which then went in DMC1 as a feature. Inafune then went on to be an Executive producer on a billion things including Street Fighter 4, Dragon's Dogma (back working with Itsuno from DMC2+), and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (and uhhh Mighty No. 9). Takeuchi went back to stuff like RE5, Bionic Commando, and RE7.

So Onimushas are made, other folks go on to other things, Okamoto hops back in the action games with his new indie company Game Republic, making:
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai -> Genji 2 -> Clash of the Titans
He has a crazy history. Made Gyruss and Time Pilot which went in a "Top 100 arcade games of all time" list, but was fired from Konami cause among other things, they had told him to make a driving game instead of those. Then goes to Capcom and makes more gigantic impact games like 1942, Gun.Smoke, Final Fight, and Street Fighter 2. Follows it with Resident Evil (both game and movie). Gets the idea for Onimusha, instead hops off to his own company to make some Onimusha-like action games. Company goes broke. Then makes mobile game Monster Strike which by 2018 had grossed over $7.2 BILLION dollars. What a guy.

So you have all these Capcom guys. They're cranking out fighting games and arcades. Some vets and new folks get together and kick off the Resident Evil series. They get around to 4 and just want to do a groovin' action game, one crew of RE vets pops the first good and popular 3D hack n' slash, DMC1. At the same time, another crew of RE vets does a similar thing making Onimusha. DMC1 guys split off into Clover/Platinum and make a whole bunch of action games in their style. Onimusha folks continue that series and some get their hands in Yaiba: NGZ, the Genji games, and Clash of the Titans. DMC series gets led to greatness by Itsuno. Go Capcom.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Back to Ninja Gaiden. For real, if you have an Xbone and haven't played NGB through at least Hard go scoop it up it's real good and holds up very well, and hey :10bux:. If you do, check out this guy's channel, he has some great tutorial playlists covering weapon movesets, boss fights, etc. https://www.youtube.com/user/0JoeButton0.

This was my first trip far enough back to lose now standard QoL features, and it hurt for a while. Controls and camera are a little finnicky, and holy drat REMEMBER WHEN GAMES DIDN'T HAVE CHECKPOINTS?? That was the biggest pain point, having to find and remember where save points were, along with running back and forth between combat to use the save point as a manual checkpoint system. A few save points are in really annoying spots too - one is in an enemy spawn zone so you will literally be attacked from offscreen if you load the save and don't touch the controller, and a couple of bosses don't have good save points before them. Folks talk about the camera being awful, but imo it's very OK. It does totally gently caress you in some spots, but overall I'd rather deal with the camera issues in NGB than say MGR, or maybe even DMC4. (Not necessarily how the camera itself controls, but how the levels are laid out and how the camera behaves in relation.) Still adjusting to the controls at the end of the first run through, and some solid camera work:

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1131390570306383872

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132147833140854786

Besides the QoL stuff, it's amazing that NG is in as great shape as it is. It could come out today with new shaders on top, tweaked controls, and a checkpoint systems and fit right in with modern games. But it came out in 2004, before DMC3, just a year after the hot mess DMC2. It has a different flavor than Capcom/Platinum stuff, but it's an amazingly solid game that predates a LOT of what comes to mind when you say hack n' slash, and a lot of it by a decade and 2 console generations.

NGB is..I don't know if I've ever used words this strong so seriously in my life..the Dark Souls of action games. It throws you in a harsh world without explaining much. You MUST play defensively until you git gud or you'll be destroyed. When YOU DIED you have to run back from the save point. You start with a tiny life bar that gets huge, but big stuff still hurts badly, and (after a certain point) juggling the save points and merchants essentially works the same as estus where you stock up "for free" on a limited amount of health and mana pots that you have to ration out, and come back when you die (from reloading the save). Weapons fall into a few archetypes that are generally usable anytime, but are better in some situations, and need to be upgraded. The world is all connected and gated behind locked doors. There's just this whole flow to the game that's a lot more deliberate - you start out going slow, blocking a lot, wondering if each corner you turn something is going to jump out and kill you, and bosses are brick walls. Then you pick up the flow and everything starts to click, you have that "got gud" moment where you go from hating this dumb garbage bullshit thing to really gettin' in the groove of why it got so popular.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive said this before but Im salty Ill probably never play NGB if its not released on something besides the xbox.

Sekiro does scratch that ninja exploration itch but Ive played that for over 100 hours by now

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

puve posted:

These games are really cool and overlooked entries in the genre although Shinobi hasn't aged as well as the others

I think Shinobi's the best of them, even better than the sequel Nightshade. It was really a puzzle game about one chaining every encounter in the game, including the bosses. The health drain mechanic is just there to let you know you gotta go fast.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

Hackan Slash posted:

I think Shinobi's the best of them, even better than the sequel Nightshade. It was really a puzzle game about one chaining every encounter in the game, including the bosses. The health drain mechanic is just there to let you know you gotta go fast.

Health drain mechanic letting you know you gotta go fast? Heyo, that sounds like muh jam. I tried loading up Darksiders 1 for a few hours before GOD HAND but gyuhhhh the slow walk run speed into mash YYYYYYYB started puttin me to sleep. I know the DS games are more on the Zelda side of things, but when I glanced at like 30 seconds of Darksiders 3 gameplay, and even looking at some of the menus and buttons in 1 it seemed like it'd be more about the combat. Whatchy'all think? Should I just bump those for when I just wanna play a Zelda-like, or do they pick up the pace?

My second favorite gamedesign.txt moments in NGB is at the end of the train/warehouse level, you're going along and there's [Combat room] --hallway-- [Combat room] | locked door. The key to the locked door drops from a mob in the first combat room, but not the first time you go in there. So door animation to walk in a room, kill 3 simple mobs, door animation to leave, down a stairwell and elevator animation, door animation into another room, kill a few simple mobs, boom locked door. But what, it's the end of the level why is the door locked did you miss a key somewhere? *Pull up gamefaqs walkthrough* back out, door animation, elevator animation, stairs, door animation, kill the same 3 easy mobs again this time one drops the key, door animation, stairs, elevator animation, door animation, room is empty this time so straight to door unlock and animation, end level.

What I think is going to be my favorite gamedesign.txt moment in all of everything is this:

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132123676369915904

Please someone tell me I'm dumb and missing something about this scenario! I don't get it. Why have the door locked if the key is next to it? Why put them there in an order that just makes you jump up and down and use the awful slow swimming movement? Why have the door there period? There is an (really obnoxious) encounter on top of the boat; I always did the encounter but since you're invincible during door animation type stuff I bet you can just ignore the enemies, cause not like they drop keys or anything. I love it :D. Outside that though there's really not much super dumb poo poo in the game. That entire water level is really terrible but at least in the Sigma release I hear they acknowledged that and let you skip the whole thing.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

I tried loading up Darksiders 1 for a few hours before GOD HAND but gyuhhhh the slow walk run speed into mash YYYYYYYB started puttin me to sleep. I know the DS games are more on the Zelda side of things, but when I glanced at like 30 seconds of Darksiders 3 gameplay, and even looking at some of the menus and buttons in 1 it seemed like it'd be more about the combat. Whatchy'all think? Should I just bump those for when I just wanna play a Zelda-like, or do they pick up the pace?

Darksiders 1 is literally Zelda with varying mythologies shoved into it, and you're playing a ten foot tall Link. The voicework is the big seller, at least it was to me, given War and the Watcher's voices.

The second is a bit more 'open', and, to my personal annoyance, a bit more loot heavy, as Diablo 3 came out then, and the devs got the 'looter itch' that so many games fall for. It still plays, aside from that, like a proper Zelda title, just with more number managing.

Three, to my utter disdain, rips off the Souls series for no reason other then 'this was big at the time and is super popular', though, thankfully, they added in a proper 'Classic' mode, to make the combat and timing more like the earlier games. Once that's enabled, the game plays a lot better, and is more character-action focused then the first two.

The plots are all over the place, but characterization is more what compels, at least on my end. War has the most 'distinct' personality, despite being the oldest, game wise, of the cast, but the other Horsemen have their moments.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

Please someone tell me I'm dumb and missing something about this scenario! I don't get it. Why have the door locked if the key is next to it? Why put them there in an order that just makes you jump up and down and use the awful slow swimming movement? Why have the door there period? There is an (really obnoxious) encounter on top of the boat; I always did the encounter but since you're invincible during door animation type stuff I bet you can just ignore the enemies, cause not like they drop keys or anything. I love it :D. Outside that though there's really not much super dumb poo poo in the game. That entire water level is really terrible but at least in the Sigma release I hear they acknowledged that and let you skip the whole thing.

I'm not super familiar with the original NG, so these are just guesses, but this kind of seemingly-arbitrary thing actually may have a purpose beyond just padding. It could be to remind the player a mechanic / system exists before testing them on it. Is there another area relatively soon after this where you need to swim back and forth around an area? open a chest underwater? Use a crank to open a door? etc. Alternatively, maybe the chest + crank never used to be there, but players never swam down to look inside the ship, and thus tons of players missed the treasure inside - was it something important? It may have been easier (read: have less chance of causing a delayed release date / buggy game) to just add in a lever + key puzzle to communicate to the player that there's something to find nearby than it would have been to adjust the level geometry to make the treasure easier to find. It's also possible that the designers wanted the player to slow down and take some time to explore to help pace the level better, and thus added this small exploration puzzle to force the player to slow down. This especially makes sense since you said there was a combat encounter on top of the boat, so it's possible that the designers didn't want the player rushing straight to the next room - did that room also have combat encounters in it?

Or it could just be padding lol

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ah brilliant! I'd for sure bet that's what it is, they plopped an essentially key item in that boat, after they were well into testing phase playtesters got confused, then it just shook out as a lot easier to go this route. The game supports some "Use key item" -> "Cut camera to door open animation" stuff, but wouldn't be surprised if there was a technical issue there too of making sure the player could be shown where to go; I wanna say they only do static camera cuts during those events and don't (can't?) do any panning. It's pretty far in the game, no new mechanics they're showing how to do.

Oh footnote on the NGB is Dark Souls; it has the Archers! This spot has 3 archers who will shoot from off camera as you try and get up platforms that are a little tricky with how the controls work, and will knock you back down to the bottom with one hit which causes any you've killed to respawn. By the 2nd and 3rd runthroughs I could just run past in a couple tries, but good lord got super frustrated trying to fight through them the first time.

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1131903607572451329

And save early save often cause sometimes you just get dunked on
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132011486392532994

Really hard
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1136295464368857089

Especially when you don't have much of a health bar yet
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1131754171642908678

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 28, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Has anybody tried the Devil May Cry Switch port yet? I just want a game that works. I don’t really care if it doesn’t like look amazing or whatever as long as it just like doesn’t crash constantly and doesn’t drop frames constantly.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ninja Gaiden Black
the good (played through Very Hard..I swear I'll come back for Master Ninja)
Super solid game overall - story/VA/etc. side is all totally fine, cutscenes look fantastic for how old they are and the graphics hold up very well. Combat system was built extremely well, the different weapons all have notable strengths and weaknesses (no fast switching, but there is pause switching which is fine for the game), there's a tall skill ceiling that encourages you to learn and use most of the movesets (nothing's really "broken"), and for the most part you can execute what's in your head rather than fighting the controls/mechanics to do what you actually want to. Lots of enemy variety to keep you on your toes with a healthy pool of enemy types and variations and behaviors that all change through nearly every difficulty level, and boss fights are great. Level design is groovin', lots of different room layouts for encounters which also affects how you have to play, and a variety of locales, little puzzles, etc. and it's nearly all interconnected like a Souls. In it's own tier for how well they remix everything as you go through the difficulty levels.

The bad
The OUR GAME IS SO HARD pacing is wack; it's a bit of a hurdle just to feel like you're getting a solid footing on how to play. The DH->SoS->DMD pace ideally smoothly adds difficulty as your skill and stats develop. Here Itagaki put an easy mode you have to die a few times in the first level to swap to, has the game make fun of you for playing on easy, then renamed the original Hard mode to Normal a la the DMC3 thing, and you can tell. I did normal and it ramps up real fast to some tough stuff while I was still figuring out mechanics. And there's no new game plus character carryover between difficulties so doing an entire Easy runthrough just for practice would be lame. Save points instead of checkpoints is annoying, and some encounters (bosses!) really suck for not having a save point right before. Early game sucks for how low your health bar and movesets start. Movement and camera controls are fidgety and take some getting used to.

:argh: Ghost fish (see below), easy trash mobs continuing to spawn in tedious numbers especially for health/mana upgrades, water level

A+ game, and for playing more at high difficulties I'd probably be just as happy if you plopped me down in front of DMC3, DMC5, or NGB.
e: Getting some more time to get back on the GOD HAND grind, with some Castlevania Lords of Shadow on the side.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 4, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Before I picked NGB up again, one of the few things I remembered clearly was the true boss of the game, the loving ghost fish. Mimics in Dark Souls were cool and all, but years before those NGB started throwing enemies in boxes. Not only that but they wait till you start doing higher difficulty runs, and start it a good while in the game with a poo poo-your-pants-to-pop-out-of-a-box enemy.

The first WTF
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132018706203197440

Then I died a few more times. But it's OK, I'll use this roll attack with hella iframes
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132021048986230784

Couple more deaths. Hey I'll use magic easy breezy. Use magic, open chest, animation cancels the magic and I die. And finally :black101:
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1132022255507124239

(Took me till the Very Hard runthrough to have a consistent enough way to kill them with the flails to not get hit 9/10 encounters.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So would Furi count here? It's basically Rival fights one after another.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
OK one last quick Ninja Gaiden post then it's on to GOD HAND where I'm up to the last couple bosses on Normal. Remember, before NG, Team Ninja made Dead or Alive 1-3, so sometimes high level fighting game strategies work like (shoutouts to Discord).

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1131013341600800769

Light->Light->Heavy->Shuriken cancel is pretty cool. I thought I found something broken but the more you turn the difficulty up the less it works. Holds up on these guys through Very Hard though!

https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1131764613341691904

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

David D. Davidson posted:

So would Furi count here? It's basically Rival fights one after another.

Good, but not enough player expression

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'd say it counts, scratches the same itches that many of these games do. Also gently caress yeah parrying in that game rules.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Magil of Shadow posted:

Oh god yes this is going to be a fantastic rundown.

You're going to loving love GODHAND.
So GOD HAND, man, where to start. My quick take is it has some cool stuff, but I don't loving love it :smith:. There's some really groovy elements, things that are good that are pretty unique to the game, but as a package it plays like an early/prototype kind of 'still trying to figure out how to make action games' title. Except it's not a really early action game. Let's start with where it came from.

PS2 release in Sept. 2006, which puts it releasing after: DMC1, ZoE2, Viewtiful Joe, NG04, VJ2, DMC3, NGB, and four Onimusha games.
Made by Clover studios, who went on to become Platinum. If you'll recall, it's the crew who worked on some Resident Evils, Dino Crisis, touched Onimusha, and made DMC1 before Capcom didn't tell them about DMC2 and instead spun them off to Clover, where they did Viewtiful Joe 1 -> VJ2 -> Okami -> God Hand. So thing is, there's a lot of jank and awkwardness to God Hand, but looking at how much the action game formula had been (successfully!) developed by '06, and that a lot of these folks had their hands in it and other types of Good Games (TM), I'm surprised to see how it shook out.

quote:

"I've released a lot of titles before and I feel that, perhaps specifically with regard to God Hand, I was given too much freedom to make that game just as I liked," Mikami told Edge in a recent interview. "It didn't sell too well."

So what does it have? STYLE

It has anime, and characters, and 10000 different moves, and super moves, and it's too horny, and REAL HONORABLE FIGHTING with FISTS as god intended, and it's nice and compact - very actioney, almost no fluff. With how they did the 'world building' part of it, and graphics and characters and all, I though it was actually an already developed anime series IP. And I still feel like it might be and I just didn't catch reading it somewhere.

It has anime stomps
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1147221921710391298
And the Simpsons
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1147223193846976512
And dialogue (sorry, no subtitles wth!)
https://twitter.com/TimHowa60777096/status/1147222669672296448
And a luchedor gorilla that I'll have to get a capture of later on the replay. I beat it once on Normal, and tried to jump to Hard but got fuckin dunked on, so I'm back on Normal keeping the difficulty bumped up as much as possible (which I'll talk about later for anyone not in the know) and to hop in the arena to work on my chops so I can get back to Hard.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A good transition may not be from normal to hard, but rather try normal to a kick-me-sign run (KMS) and then tackle hard. A KMS run is where you don't use the god hand nor roulette moves. This basically forces you to REALLY learn the mechanics and how to effectively handle crowds and singular strong enemies, which will set you up for tackling Hard.

It's also not just a fan challenge, there's a reward in-game for completing the run. It's named "kick me sign" run because you keep the sign that Olivia slaps on your back in the second level.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 12, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

A good transition may not be from normal to hard, but rather try normal to a kick-me-sign run (KMS) and then tackle hard. A KMS run is where you don't use the god hand nor roulette moves. This basically forces you to REALLY learn the mechanics and how to effectively handle crowds and singular strong enemies, which will set you up for tackling Hard.

It's also not just a fan challenge, there's a reward in-game for completing the run. It's named "kick me sign" run because you keep the sign that Olivia slaps on your back in the second level.

Already on it! Last left off at the start of Stage 2, sign still on :hfive:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

GOD HAND is style made flesh, or, code, I suppose, even more then Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. It oozes enough style that even it's serious moments are amazing. To this day, Devil May Sly is probably my favorite 'rival' theme in a series to date.

Also, it's the only game that isn't JoJo or FotNS related, that lets you be as anime as you want with your fighting style, from combos to special abilities.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

God Hand would prolly be my fave game of all time if I knew it existed back then. I was getting high in high school waiting for Gears of War a month later. It never stood a chance. I was a nerdy forums guy back too and I still never heard about it other than the bad reviews.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I've gotta crank something out here before my copy of MUA3 shows up and takes over the not much gaming time I've had lately! After doing about 1.5 stages on Normal and trying to keep the difficulty up and getting some practice with the KMS on, jumped back to hard, and I've made it about halfway through! Confidence is up, having some more fun with it, not looking forward to the later stages though they might break my soul. This game is pretty brutal on hard. Most enemy moves don't do any knockback, or give post-hit invuln, and a lot are rapid hits with lots of range and active frames, so it's real easy for your health bar to just disappear, cause you don't get that usual pause action games give you of "oh eff I just got hit, deep breath, OK back in there". Instead it's just, hey you're dead cause you didn't mash dodge to get out.
On normal:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1147224256981491713
On hard:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1151977534910869510
Another big difficulty point is THE CAMERA AND MOVEMENT HOLY poo poo. I think it's ~by design~ but think of the camera/movement you've complained most about in an action game, then make the screen black and white and upside down and I'd take it over what's here. It kind of works for 1v1 fights, but wow it's so bad for everything else. Then some stuff is like they made it before the control/camera system was finalized, like these guys:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1152334490615857152
So the controls are tank with no free cam controls, so left stick aims your character and the camera, plus a shoulder button to do a 180, and the cam is static behind your shoulder in third person. You're also very slow to turn. The cam/FOV/controls are rough enough they had to put a very short range radar on the screen. In a game about short range hand to hand combat, basically "fighting game footies - the game", you get a camera angle that makes it hard to see ranges. Turning to aim even a little bit or doing the 180 move take as long as a move does to come out (yours or an enemy's), so you get in these spots that just feel really lovely where an enemy is at an angle so it's this whole thing to figure out how to safely get turned to face them. It wouldn't be so terrible except there are enemies that attack really fast, or with lots of range, or teleport around. I haattee fighting those green demon guys, cause first it's a roll of the dice if they even spawn or not, then it's a roll of the dice how their AI is going to play. If they do lots of teleports, god forbid if the level geometry there shoves them at angles, then it's some of the lamest poo poo to have this ~epic intense enemy fight~ be more about just trying to aim the drat camera at it. Then even worse if it's at the end of a long segment and it kills you in 2 hits.

Some other random stuff is uh..super meter I guess I'll call the routelle wheel? and health/powerup drops. There are ARPG style smashable crates through the game that randomly drop nothing, different amounts of health, cash, DT meter, damage boost, or meter for super moves. At first I thought it was pretty neat for keeping things mixed up, but the more I've played the more annoying all the randomness to the game is getting. Maybe it'd wrap back around to fun if I kept playing a whole lot more? Those drops are the only source of health and meter for super moves. For health, it means some segments may suddenly get much easier or much harder depending on your luck of the draw. Super meter randomly refilling means instead of using the really cool moves I just hold on to them forever until boss fights. It just doesn't feel great to crush your way through a big segment, play your brains out, get hit a couple times, then at the very end a mook dies and randomly turns into a demon that does some buggy teleport and one more hit kills you from the side. Then do the same segment, play like rear end, oh but this time there were 2 health drops and no demons spawned, boom easy breezy. Same for bosses; if super meter cards or the right health stuff drop it literally doubles/triples your health, or cuts theirs in half. For some gamedesign.txt, here's the fun little dance you get to do every time you load in for a boss fight if you want to see what resources will be available for the fight, loving riveting:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1152342070721503232

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah and need to post this I stumbled on so I can close the tab, a Sengoku Basara vs. Devil May Cry two hour long stage play! No subs though :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0TvVlzpNI

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

teh_Broseph posted:

Oh yeah and need to post this I stumbled on so I can close the tab, a Sengoku Basara vs. Devil May Cry two hour long stage play! No subs though :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0TvVlzpNI

This is the greatest thing I won't be able to watch right now, but need to.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Back in! With good spirits too, trying to warm up and get back in the groove, and well
https://twitter.com/i/status/1158468533975691265
gently caress. Got through a few levels, then hit another spot where it's a handful of big fights in a row with no checkpoints, and I'm only on stage 5 of 8 and I know there are more and more of those as it goes on. Maybe it's just trying to hop back in cold but this one's sapping my will and I'm getting the itch to swap to a new game, but the whole point of jumping back to these kind of games was 'cause in previous years I never got gud and just dropped out instead of properly learning what the designers built.

:negative:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Keep it up, you can do it!!

Watching from that clip, I’d recommend trying to duck dodge more than backflipping. Backflip is easily the least safe defensive option, and it got you hit multiple times there (resulting in your death) that a duck dodge likely would have kept you alive. Duck dodging also keeps you closer to counter-attack faster, and there were a few spots in that video where your attacks missed from being too far away fro the enemy.

Also, to help you out with the camera, tapping R1 to bring up the roulette wheel will NOT remove your kick-me sign, and will instantly turn you to face an enemy. You can even cycle through various available enemies, and then cancel without using the roulette move.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also, to help you out with the camera, tapping R1 to bring up the roulette wheel will NOT remove your kick-me sign, and will instantly turn you to face an enemy. You can even cycle through various available enemies, and then cancel without using the roulette move.

oh god drat it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Definitely duck dodge more than you are, it's by far your best option in about 95% of situations with normal non-boss enemies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey guys there is a new PLATINUM action game for the Nintendo Switch coming out, and according to Internet it’s being done by more or less the same team that handled W101.

Anyone have any more information on it? What’re the best videos about it right now?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks and good call y'all! :black101: on to stage 6. Deffo have the scrublord bad habit of mashing backflip, doubly so after not playing a while.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey guys there is a new PLATINUM action game for the Nintendo Switch coming out, and according to Internet it’s being done by more or less the same team that handled W101.

Anyone have any more information on it? What’re the best videos about it right now?
Here's a longer slower look at some stuff in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3WqG1-7Ogk. I'm lookin' forward to it, but not super excited :smith:. It's Platinum, but the director is the lead designer from Nier:A, not one of the Plat folks that's been around a while. From videos it looks like it'll be Nier-ey in the sense of not having the DMC-like heavy focus on combat. Less than a month from release! (Aug 30)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgMg4rauGdw

A different video where they talk about the structure of the game.

It's definitely leaning more towards action rpg than character action game. Also 30 fps :laugh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That is one of the ugliest looking games I've seen in recent memory.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ah yes, the extremely good 30 fps Platinum games such as....Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I still pre-ordered because it looks pretty cool, I like the concept of fighting with a stand that's physically linked to you, and you can use that link to clothesline dudes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think it's fine if it's not strictly an action game, I liked Nier: A.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but they are very specifically billing it as a Platinum Action Game, and as good as Neir was to EXPERIENCE I didn’t really embrace the combat, even after leveling up all my weapons and special moves and finding all the ranged attacks.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Something about the videos make me think it’s gonna be a B tier platinum game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
What the fuuuuuck is with these gun dudes
https://twitter.com/i/status/1159464022498074626
This section has me on tilt pretty hard. Getting closer though. Home stretch where the enemies all start to be the "big" kind and checkpoints get long, which is making me switch up from banking on hand plant kick + the Fwd-Triangle jump kick doing a lot of work for damage and crowd control, since hand plant kick doesn't launch the bigs.