Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

hatty posted:

Platinum is shifting to multiplayer GAAS games right?

Gotta replicate the insane success of Babylon's Fall!

oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shame about Platinum dooming itself to the GAAS treadmill. Maybe we'll get some not-Bayonetta in a Kamiya led Kickstarter or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wouldn't necessarily be against a Platinum GaaS game but it has to be, you know, not poo poo to start with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jack Trades posted:

I wouldn't necessarily be against a Platinum GaaS game but it has to be, you know, not poo poo to start with.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the things that make the GaaS model tick would just ruin a Platinum game.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

King of Solomon posted:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the things that make the GaaS model tick would just ruin a Platinum game.

I'm predicting that the combat intricacies are largely there...except its a GAAS so there are gear checks to make sure players are spending enough money on premium currency, loot boxes, and character rolls...except there will still be players skilled enough to kill enemies with 999 hit combos doing 2 damage each hit without spending a dime so the bean counters will get mad and just make enemies invincible if you don't meet the gear score.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've seen a few GaaS games that were actually decently made in such a way that the base level difficulty was somewhere around what Platinum normally does, and the money was made from selling "DMC Items" to those who just want to progress right now without any effort.

Of course making a game like that would require much more skill and effort, but I don't think it's impossible.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

If I was a collector I would absolutely get this

https://twitter.com/wayorecords/status/1712800451601559992?s=46&t=L9W5VGBvltc-Vd8y0AJq4w

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0rIgaiPWA

March 22, 2024 let's goooooooooooo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NWkzt0pQvw

March 22nd, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr5rQ1NZ0Tw

Aug 20, 2024

Extremely hype for Rise of the Ronin. Team Ninja has been on a roll lately.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Rise of the Ronin looks goddamn awesome. A true spiritual sequel to Nioh

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally played DMCV for the first after pre-ordering when it was announced. I have a huge backlog so sometimes I just miss a game and it takes me forever to get to it. I am a huge DMC fan, I don't want to know how many hours I put in bloody palace in DMC3 and I played DMC4 on all difficulties as well.I haven't played the Vergil bit but so far I would say although the combat is as good as it's ever been. 4 was quite good but this is as good. Unless I am mistaken I feel like the enemy variety in this seems smaller than 4 or even a game like Ninja Gaiden 1-2 I played this year. Also I don't think DMC ever had the most amazing bosses except maybe in 3 where all the bosses were memorable in some way but DMCV's bosses are extremely generic. It's weird because this is a DMC game but maybe it's the artstyle or the tone so at times it doesn't feel like a DMC game at the same time.

That being said it's the best combat in an action game for me so far. Maybe 4 is close, I would have to go replay but Dante feels like a whole new game unto himself even compared to 4. In the end of the day that's what DMC has always been about, styling on the enemy in the most ridiculous manner whether it was gunslinging while skateboarding on the grim reaper or infinite juggling a demon.

Anyway been a good year for me in terms of action games, played AC6, Wulong which are not character action but still deliver on the action part. Played Metal Gear Revengeance for the first time got up the highest difficulty in that, played Hi Fi Rush which is an mind bogglingly good game. Feels like something from 2000s Capcom or peak Platinum with the humor.

I am probably gonna replay DMCV a bunch of times now. But I am looking to also played Wanted:Dead as for old titles, I feel like now I have played all the major action game series.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
DMC5 has like 18 regular enemies to DMC4's 16 (including variations on the scarecrows)

3 empusas (4 if you count the red orb empusas)
3 hells
3 lizards
2 bats
2 goat casters
2 angelos
scissors
nobody
behemoth

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

https://youtu.be/CYIRCrKfTnY?si=9rIfNS6J9E40Hh37

My best attempt at Ultimaniac Mode in FF16 and still mostly C ranks. On the bright side that makes me like 120th best player in the world according to leaderboards.

The rank system is still kinda dumb and you need to stall encounters to even have a chance of S ranks and I have no patience for that. This run alone took over 30 mins

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DMC5's good bosses are all in the last few missions, but the good ones are very good. Meanwhile the Nero fight against Gilgamesh is actively miserable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

DMC5's good bosses are all in the last few missions, but the good ones are very good. Meanwhile the Nero fight against Gilgamesh is actively miserable

Wrong.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Tell me this is a big Greek cyclops.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

DMC5 has like 18 regular enemies to DMC4's 16 (including variations on the scarecrows)

3 empusas (4 if you count the red orb empusas)
3 hells
3 lizards
2 bats
2 goat casters
2 angelos
scissors
nobody
behemoth

Maybe it's just their design or something but definitely it's hard to come from something like Ninja Gaiden where there is like 30+ enemies in each game.

That being said I am enjoying the combat, I am almost at the end of the normal difficulty run. Definitely not a fan of V even though he looked interesting visually and I like the summoner type but ya kinda boring. Nero has the dodge and insane air juggle potential with his grab. Dante is got a million possibilies with the style switch and weapon switch on the fly. Meanwhile V is just do basic combo and run away but somehow you still get ss+? I just can't fathom wanting to play more V.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ulio posted:

Maybe it's just their design or something but definitely it's hard to come from something like Ninja Gaiden where there is like 30+ enemies in each game.

That being said I am enjoying the combat, I am almost at the end of the normal difficulty run. Definitely not a fan of V even though he looked interesting visually and I like the summoner type but ya kinda boring. Nero has the dodge and insane air juggle potential with his grab. Dante is got a million possibilies with the style switch and weapon switch on the fly. Meanwhile V is just do basic combo and run away but somehow you still get ss+? I just can't fathom wanting to play more V.

I agree that V is kinda underwhelming but he's a very experimental (I don't think his pet controlling gameplay has really been done in an action game before) and I think they didn't want to make him too complicated.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It occured to me Clive from FF16 borrows moves from all DMCV characters including V. Though Torgal is nowhere near as effective as Shadow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Based on what I've heard about FF16, now that it was actually out for a while, the gameplay is pretty fun but the whole game is piss baby easy. Hopefully by the time the PC version rolls around they'll introduce a higher difficulty mode or something.

Also, I don't know the exact details of the combat system, but apparently once you unlock some of the movesets from later half of the game all the fights just devolve into waiting for the cooldown for your screenwipes. Which is something I see a lot of garbage action games do.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It's bit more complex issue than that.

You are right about the story mode. It's piss easy even if the set pieces are incredible.

However the game also an exclusive difficulty tied to Arcade Mode that works like a score attack and it also ranks you like DMC (You even have style meter that acts as a score multiplier in battles)

In Arcade Mode simply using your ultimate cooldowns will get you only C ranks at best so you need to use weaker abilities to get the multiplier up.

The downside is the Ultimaniac is really goddamn hard to get good scores on and you need 2 full playthoughs to unlock all stages.

My personal opinion is that Final Fantasy difficulty (NG+) on Arcade Mode is really the optimal way to experience the game (because the requirement for S rank isnt as demanding) unless they adjust Ultimaniac difficulty scoring.

So basically FF16 has a game within game tht's actually really fun to play and demands real skill but it's takes maybe too much effort to actually get that far.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 23, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Skrill.exe posted:

Tell me this is a big Greek cyclops.

It's a weird deformed crawling guy with an arm on his back. He wears masks, and when he changes them his moveset changes. It's a returning enemy from DMC1, but not nearly as annoying in V.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

K8.0 posted:

It's a weird deformed crawling guy with an arm on his back. He wears masks, and when he changes them his moveset changes. It's a returning enemy from DMC1, but not nearly as annoying in V.

Miyazaki-san needs to brush up on his Homer!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished DMCV, just had the final level left. Definitely an all timer for me in action games. Right up there with DMC3, NG2, Bayonetta and MGR. I do think DMCV has the best combat by far. I really wish they did a better job with the bosses early on, it felt like the last 5 bosses were really well designed and maybe the very first one you face as Nero but there was just generic demon poo poo in the middle.

Gonna see how higher difficulty goes. Dante I felt like was poo poo easy vs bosses due to royal guard, I have played so many parry based games since DMC3, I remember in 3 I couldn't time this for poo poo. Nero is also felt really strong and fun. V is the only one I am worried about replaying in higher difficulty.

With only one playthrough I would say my favorites is DMC3 > DMCV > DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC2. But I think it could change to V with more playthroughs.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In case you didn't know. Vergil campaign has an amazing new final boss.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

V isn't super fun on higher difficulties, but he's also not hard because his side dodge is essentially Nero's table hopper without the timing requirement. Absolutely disgusting how easy it is to avoid damage, it's a goatman sized invulnerability window.

Nero is actually relatively weak on your first playthrough. With DT and all the ridiculous possibilities his finger cramp inducing punches allow (Make sure you look into how that works, it's disgusting for combos even though I can't use it for poo poo), how much you can do with his arms with practice, even the fact that holding enemies as a shield is much more usable than DMC4, he's sort of ridiculous. He really needs you to think about your binds though. Without backside buttons it's actually kind of impossible to press all the buttons he needs.

And yeah, definitely play Vergil. He's fun in 3, ridiculous in 4, but in V he's kind of what would happen if you were able to take V Dante into MGR or something. Every enemy is just too slow and too weak and you obliterate them. Yet despite being incredibly overpowered, he's super fun because his tool kit is extremely flexible.

Major side note, am I the only person who thinks DMC3 is kind of bad? There is so much uncancelable lag at the end of so many moves, the input system is really unrefined compared to the later games in terms of directional inputs and such, I just don't enjoy playing it. Your play is almost entirely driven by defense, like most of the inferior games in the genre, probably half of your moves aren't even usable unless everything on screen is staggered, and on higher difficulties enemies are such insane tanks that using your incredibly slowly building and quickly draining DT for DT explosion is the only way to kill things.

I probably actually prefer DMC1 because at least it's fairly easy to figure out how to get the input system in that game to do what you need with a bit of practice, despite its many flaws. DMC3 is constant missed inputs, and also I think it has by a huge margin the highest number of badly designed enemies in the series. The character design, cutscenes, and storytelling is second only to V, which 3 really sets up anyway, but the actual gameplay I don't like at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

On higher difficulties the actual difficult part with V starts being the ability to avoid damage with all 3 of your characters while continuing to do damage.
You won't be able to dodge with V if you did nothing to stop the boss from one-shotting your pets.

Also, I think you're crazy when it comes to DMC3.
I still replay it once a year and it's super loving good. The only part of DMC3 that I think is back is how much it wants you to mash, but that's something that's easily solved on PC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's funny to me, the mash complaint is the only one I don't get about DMC 3. Crazy combos mash requirements are based on style, most of them are very easy by B or A. The only one I dislike is Nevan, because it's virtually impossible to know when to switch from mashing to holding and have it look/sound good.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I have an immense amount of fondness for DMC1 and honestly even now when someone mentions the series at all, the first thing I think of is Phantom busting into that spooky chapel at the start.

But I also remember the underwater sections. I love 1, but it's not better than 3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

V isn't super fun on higher difficulties, but he's also not hard because his side dodge is essentially Nero's table hopper without the timing requirement. Absolutely disgusting how easy it is to avoid damage, it's a goatman sized invulnerability window.

Nero is actually relatively weak on your first playthrough. With DT and all the ridiculous possibilities his finger cramp inducing punches allow (Make sure you look into how that works, it's disgusting for combos even though I can't use it for poo poo), how much you can do with his arms with practice, even the fact that holding enemies as a shield is much more usable than DMC4, he's sort of ridiculous. He really needs you to think about your binds though. Without backside buttons it's actually kind of impossible to press all the buttons he needs.

Ya I kinda spam the side dodge to protect the shadow fiend and restore his health. I kinda found a easy way to always have DT gauge with V, when there is 1 enemy left I won't execute him with o and just read the book to fill up the fight.

Agreed on the binds, it's kinda stupid how his devil arm's work. He has like 3 different mechanic that require some kind of hold or mechanic. The exceed which is easy, charging up the gun and charging devil arm. Right now I would say he is my favorite just because I feel like I got the basics down with him and can really do some decent combos with the juggling. Meanwhile on Dante in the first playthrough it feels like you are getting something new every 2 mission so you don't get much experience with anything unless you spam one weapon. I could see similar to DMC4, Dante becoming the better character as you keep doing more runs.

Jack Trades posted:

On higher difficulties the actual difficult part with V starts being the ability to avoid damage with all 3 of your characters while continuing to do damage.
You won't be able to dodge with V if you did nothing to stop the boss from one-shotting your pets.

Also, I think you're crazy when it comes to DMC3.
I still replay it once a year and it's super loving good. The only part of DMC3 that I think is back is how much it wants you to mash, but that's something that's easily solved on PC.

Ya that's the worst part of V. The pets ai is dumb rear end poo poo and just stays there in front of enemy's big planet destroying attack. So you have to keep dodging to pull them back which means you can't dps.

Crowetron posted:

I have an immense amount of fondness for DMC1 and honestly even now when someone mentions the series at all, the first thing I think of is Phantom busting into that spooky chapel at the start.

But I also remember the underwater sections. I love 1, but it's not better than 3.

I need to replay DMC1, I only made it to the last boss. But this was in the ps2 collection, going from DMC3 to DMC1 was hard in terms of the combos and overall combat. I do think the game, enemies, level design and atmosphere was amazing for 1. Really got that horror vibe from Resident Evil still lingering.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I had an xbox growing up so I was on the Ninja Gaiden side of the fence so I didn't play all of the DMC games until the 360/PS3 HD collection and playing them all back to back I ended up preferring aspects of DMC1 compared to 3SE like the bosses, enemies, environmental puzzles and general atmosphere. pretty much everything outside of the combat

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Deflecting Phantom's fireball with Dante's high time is still one of my favorite moments in all DMC games.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I think if you target an enemy as V, Shadow and Griffin will go towards it, so if you need to avoid them running into a boss aoe you should also drop targeting once you call them back. I don't think you can blame their "AI" when almost everything they do is based on your own inputs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tarezax posted:

I think if you target an enemy as V, Shadow and Griffin will go towards it, so if you need to avoid them running into a boss aoe you should also drop targeting once you call them back. I don't think you can blame their "AI" when almost everything they do is based on your own inputs

It's this.
They don't have "AI".

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It's this.
They don't have "AI".

Well, they do if you pump DT into them. I don't know if they keep respecting your targeting while they're off the leash so to speak, but they'll still follow direct commands in this state

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

You do know that you cannot dodge in this game if you don't lock on right? So the best way to protect Shadow is still to dodge so he comes closer to you but as soon as the dodge is finished he starts moving on his own. I am just saying he should stick next to you unless you input attack. It seems like after you dodge sometimes he appears a bit further in front of you where he can get one shot by most attacks even with all hp upgrades.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ulio posted:

You do know that you cannot dodge in this game if you don't lock on right?

The A button?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ulio posted:

You do know that you cannot dodge in this game if you don't lock on right? So the best way to protect Shadow is still to dodge so he comes closer to you but as soon as the dodge is finished he starts moving on his own. I am just saying he should stick next to you unless you input attack. It seems like after you dodge sometimes he appears a bit further in front of you where he can get one shot by most attacks even with all hp upgrades.

You literally can dodge by pressing the jump button.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah jump has iframes in DMC games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Major side note, am I the only person who thinks DMC3 is kind of bad? There is so much uncancelable lag at the end of so many moves, the input system is really unrefined compared to the later games in terms of directional inputs and such, I just don't enjoy playing it. Your play is almost entirely driven by defense, like most of the inferior games in the genre, probably half of your moves aren't even usable unless everything on screen is staggered, and on higher difficulties enemies are such insane tanks that using your incredibly slowly building and quickly draining DT for DT explosion is the only way to kill things.

I probably actually prefer DMC1 because at least it's fairly easy to figure out how to get the input system in that game to do what you need with a bit of practice, despite its many flaws. DMC3 is constant missed inputs, and also I think it has by a huge margin the highest number of badly designed enemies in the series. The character design, cutscenes, and storytelling is second only to V, which 3 really sets up anyway, but the actual gameplay I don't like at all.

I wouldn't say it's kind of bad, but it's definitely not as good as 4 or 5.

Makes me glad they are able to keep improving the series with each game.