Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You literally can dodge by pressing the jump button.

My original post was about Shadow recovering hp, you need to dodge sideways to do it reliably if you jump he will stay out in the battlefield and get hit by any aoe attack toward you. Atleast if he walked away from you and not stand right in front of you.

Saw a steam review that described the plot of DMCV perfectly "max0r said it best "A game about Vergil hiring Vergil's brother and Vergil son to defeat Vergil, so Vergil can become Vergil. featuring Vergil."

Ulio fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished DMCV on son of sparda. It wasn't too bad except probably Virigil which was a huge spike. Like his big timestop aoe slash attack literally ruins the run if you get hit by it and the tell seems weird for it or hard to predict.Honestly I think it's a very good fight but I remember people going crazy over it, to me it seems way too on rails and doesn't land the perfect balance of giving the player agency. But the moment of Dante, Vergil and Nero fighting is epic.

-Cavaliere is awesome, I used it way more in the hard run and found it can basically stun lock most regular enemies.
-Balrog is probably the best weapon to just air combo someone to death.
-Dr Faust is probably the strongest weapon in the game if you have the orbs for it. I might just farm the orbs in the dark knight difficulty next.

Whenever I comeback to a action game game I forget actually how hard they are compared to Souls type games which people think is hard. I mean those games are hard but you always feel like you can cheese anything. In these character action games, there is cheese sometimes but even the cheese require some execution(except faust).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Nero/Vergil fight is fantastic but the Dante/Vergil fight is way too static and he doesn't really have the ability to deal with half of Dante's toolset, it very much feels like he was designed to fight Nero and so Dante can just sidestep half his poo poo. He just walks back and forth with obvious tells for what he's about to do next.

Hard not to compare it to the DMC3 fights which are all time greats and feel completely unpredictable even though for experts I'm sure they're not in the slightest

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Nero/Vergil fight is fantastic but the Dante/Vergil fight is way too static and he doesn't really have the ability to deal with half of Dante's toolset, it very much feels like he was designed to fight Nero and so Dante can just sidestep half his poo poo. He just walks back and forth with obvious tells for what he's about to do next.

I think you wrote a wrong name here somewhere because I can't parse this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I think you wrote a wrong name here somewhere because I can't parse this.

Nero fighting Virgil is good, Dante fighting Virgil isn't as good as it was in DMC3 because Dante is OP now and Virgil as a boss feels much less chaotic/random in his moves now

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Who is ready for a new DMC game? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5KyZp38Qrc

Mobile game that is finally getting localized lol. Double lol that framerate.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Major side note, am I the only person who thinks DMC3 is kind of bad? There is so much uncancelable lag at the end of so many moves, the input system is really unrefined compared to the later games in terms of directional inputs and such, I just don't enjoy playing it. Your play is almost entirely driven by defense, like most of the inferior games in the genre, probably half of your moves aren't even usable unless everything on screen is staggered, and on higher difficulties enemies are such insane tanks that using your incredibly slowly building and quickly draining DT for DT explosion is the only way to kill things.

I probably actually prefer DMC1 because at least it's fairly easy to figure out how to get the input system in that game to do what you need with a bit of practice, despite its many flaws. DMC3 is constant missed inputs, and also I think it has by a huge margin the highest number of badly designed enemies in the series. The character design, cutscenes, and storytelling is second only to V, which 3 really sets up anyway, but the actual gameplay I don't like at all.

I liked DMC 3 a lot more til my latest playthrough where I was trying to get S ranks on everything and Very Hard began sucking due to half the enemies becoming incredibly annoying with faster movement, and then DMD was awful because it seems like the best thing to do for S ranks there is to memorize every single room and enemy spawn pattern and kill them before they can even move to avoid them devil triggering using animation cancelling Beowulf, which isn't super fun. I found DMC4 SE very fun to S rank everything except for maybe one level, and I'm working thru DMC 5 S ranks now and except for mission 10 or 11 (can't remember which) it's a lot of fun so far. Plus, I can swap over to Vergil in 5 and just get free S ranks to make myself feel better if I'm getting frustrated with the normal game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wanted: Dead is not a very good game but you also do cool poo poo like this and wish the whole game felt more like it

https://youtu.be/nOcpDPZ7PGU?si=pJGRXjFIWKdm4XdK

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Makes me wish for a Ninja Gaiden 4. Though I guess Team Ninja is busy with Nioh and its offshoots Id like then to make a game with a jump button and air combos etc.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Maybe Bayonetta 4 will be good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kamiya left Platinum so maybe he’ll do something interesting on his own

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

Kamiya left Platinum so maybe he’ll do something interesting on his own

Maybe Bayonetta 4 will be good

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Wanted Dead has been the game I’ve been the most interested in buying for awhile now.

Hard to justify the $50 or whatever tho. If it really is bad why is it still full price?

All videos I’ve seen of it look good too.

Does it have enemy lock on?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wanted: Dead is not a very good game. It's also pretty short, only 5 levels and one of them reuses a place you've already been to. I bought it for $60 on release though because I'm rich, who cares. Very memorable experience, I can't say I wasn't entertained. There is enemy lock-on, whether or not it's actually worth using is up to your personal judgment.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wanted Dead is not bad enough to not play but I really wouldn't pay more than 20 bux for it.

It *really* reminded me a lot of Bloodrayne 2, for the good and the bad.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I dont even remember the game having hard lock-on but the game does have Ninja Gaiden style soft lock that automatically targets the nearest enemy but you can also push into direction you want to attack.

Melee combat in the game works and that's probably the best thing about it. There's not lot of variety though (besides the cool melee finishers) and the combat is mostly dodging and parrying and using basic melee moves. Sorta like Sekiro with dismemberment from NG2.

There's also really bad 3rd person shooting but its more effective to just cut dudes up with your sword unless you are playing on some very hard difficulty (dont).

The game has really rough checkpointing and sometimes you have to kill waves and waves of enemies only to die to a ninja at the end.

Edit: Apparently the developers had a rough time developing this game and one of the community managers on Discord said 2023 was particularly tough time for them. According to him they are still planning on patching the game.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 10, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nero fighting Virgil is good, Dante fighting Virgil isn't as good as it was in DMC3 because Dante is OP now and Virgil as a boss feels much less chaotic/random in his moves now

I think story wise Nero fighting Virgil made more sense especially after 4 and the events of V. They just couldn't leave Dante out of the final fight even though they have kinda solved their differences in the past. The whole story was just poo poo honestly but I don't really care about the story in these games. I was kinda sad how little of Trish, Lady you see. They gave a lot of screentime to Nico which was mixed for me.

Anyway I am done, I finished it on normal and hard. Not interested in the higher difficulty and the new mode with a million enemies is not something I find entertaining. If I wanted that many enemies I would play Dynasty Warrior, it just seems unbalanced even though they changed the enemies in each location for that. Having replayed Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 last year, I would say I prefer those games. The only problem is those games higher difficulty carries no progress over which they should copy from DMC. I would still say DMCV has the most in depth combat but I don't feel like replaying it a million times like I did with 3 and 4. I do think if there was just a boss mode I would play that. The bosses grew on me especially Urizen, King Cerberus and Vergil.

Speaking of Wanted Dead that might be my next action game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanted: Dead is a Dreamcast-rear end game which is charming in some ways but it really just doesn't play on any level better than 'functional.' The mechanics are convoluted and rear end-backwards, enemies weirdly get easier as the game progresses, the story is all over the place and bizarre, and like it's the kind of game where I REALLY want to be more positive on it than I am, but it's somewhere between terrible and acceptable at the absolute best of times.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Why did they get an Australian to put on a terrible Southern accent instead of one they could handle, is my big question

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

doesn't get much more southern than australia

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Margot Robbie has said her Harley Quinn accent was easier to do than standard American because Australian speech is so non-rhotic and diphthongized anyway.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought Harley Quinn had a stereotypical Brooklyn accent?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The history behind Wanted is super weird... apparently the rich Russian guy that paid for it tried to get a bunch of different studios to make it, including Remedy, and he has a reputation in Russia for having lied about working/securing funding for all sorts of AAA games he had nothing to do with in order to pay for Wanted.

The Wanted director also said in an interview that they didn't spend as much time as the core combat and polish as they usually would because the guy paying for the game would insist on them adding minigames and wacky cutscenes and whatever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The history behind Wanted is super weird... apparently the rich Russian guy that paid for it tried to get a bunch of different studios to make it, including Remedy, and he has a reputation in Russia for having lied about working/securing funding for all sorts of AAA games he had nothing to do with in order to pay for Wanted.

The Wanted director also said in an interview that they didn't spend as much time as the core combat and polish as they usually would because the guy paying for the game would insist on them adding minigames and wacky cutscenes and whatever.

A lot of that game suddenly makes a lot more sense now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/review-devil-may-cry-peak-of-combat/

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
But its says its the peak if combat? How could it be bad?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Everyone in this thread is lying about Wanted: Dead, and obviously paid-actors trying to smear Anton Poletaev. It's the most fun I had in 2023. Only issue is it's too short.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trying to S ranks in any difficulty above Human for missions 10 & 18 in DMC 5 is making me rethink thinking the scoring system was good. I'm fine skipping non required fights to not have score go down from killing solo enemies but I'm not a huge fan of having to use royal guard or whatever to build rank up before hitting enemies because of how scoring works in 5. Really didn't notice the issue with it til these mission because most of the other missions have enough non-basic bug enemies in the fights for it not to matter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Since there aren't any new hack and slash games to talk about the recent activity on Wanted:Dead has been pretty interesting to watch. Most recently the community manager confirmed they are working on performance patches, difficulty balancing including reworking the skill tree, checkpoints and a new difficulty level.

I'm pretty sceptic if they have enough resources to patch the game but I'm interested to see where this goes, if anywhere.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Same here still. I was looking at wanted again this weekend and it is still $60. Like if it is so bad why hasn’t the price gone down?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

swims posted:

Same here still. I was looking at wanted again this weekend and it is still $60. Like if it is so bad why hasn’t the price gone down?

There a ton of bad games that never go on sale.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I got for $20 from GameStop. Xbox one. Might try it this weekend cuz janky action games from the 2000's are my poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WaltherFeng posted:

Since there aren't any new hack and slash games to talk about the recent activity on Wanted:Dead has been pretty interesting to watch. Most recently the community manager confirmed they are working on performance patches, difficulty balancing including reworking the skill tree, checkpoints and a new difficulty level.

I'm pretty sceptic if they have enough resources to patch the game but I'm interested to see where this goes, if anywhere.

I don't think they're lying but they've been promising this patch since the minute the game launched, and that was a year ago.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they're lying but they've been promising this patch since the minute the game launched, and that was a year ago.

Yeah. Though this time they've mentioned some dates at least. Tomorrow they are releasing some bug fixes like broken trophies and according to them, a more substantial patch in february which will supposedly address stuff like the hard ninja fight in the first level.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6XYHiBxkvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjOtp3QbiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydfazusHfI

Surprised at Stellar Blade. I assumed it would have been a linear action game like DMC, or maybe even a soulslike. But it looks more like Nier Automata with the town / open world structure.

DD2 looks sick as gently caress. Rise of the Ronin also looks really good.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Rise of the Ronin has my attention. I have made it known consistently since the first time I played Nioh that I loving hate Nioh's basic outermost structure of repeating missions, so taking that game and making it open-world is certainly the kind of move I can get behind. If they also jettison the loot churn and just lean into the joyous, boundless depth inherent in the mechanics in their combat systems - you could make an all-time action game with just the sword moveset in Nioh and absolutely no progression otherwise - this could singlehandedly redeem Team Ninja for me. There is a motherfucker-tier game in Nioh/2 (and I assume in Wo Long but I've not heard anything encouraging) and it could be revealed for all to see if they just have the courage to discard all the cruft laden on top of it. I believe. I am listening intently for any word of how characters are built in this game.

Also it has a grappling hook and glider so, look, it's an all-timer, my hands are tied here.

Also: Stellar Blade is going to live or die based on whether or not it is actually any fun to play, and that's the one thing I couldn't get any sense of whatsoever from the trailer. I don't mean it looked not fun, I mean it's impossible to tell how fun it will be. This kind of thing really wants a demo. We need to feel it click.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Que?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im pretty there's multiple versions of those games so they are delisting the old ones?

DMC4 was replaced by DMC4 Special Edition and DMC3 Special Edition replaced by the HD remaster collection

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Im pretty there's multiple versions of those games so they are delisting the old ones?

The original DMC3 PC port is not very good IIRC

Oh right, that makes sense.
I forgot the actual playable version of DMC3 is in the HD Collection.