Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started on hard, so far so good. Bout 100 minutes in so far, already loving the world and how good the dynamic terrain movement animation is. Going to lay off of it for tonight, the drifting joysticks on my old 360 pad are just too risky in a game this focused around balance. Ordered an offbrand 360 controller from Amazon, hope it's good because newer Xbox official controllers are way more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Change the stick dead zone in the options, you don't need a new controller!

I've toyed with that before but at this point, the deadzone would basically be the entire zone I'd want for anything less than "full blast." I also really miss the control sticks not being polished smooth, I can still remember it having grip nubbins.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Geez, when is the right "time" to deliver lost cargo? They introduced the mechanic when I was on my way to the first waystation, right? They also introduced the mailbox thingy for you to drop off stuff for a reduced payout (yikes, just realized I implicitly viewed the likes as a payout/currency lol[no, to be fair they totally put that poo poo on the score screen for missions and it has game utility]). There was like a ton of lost packages right outside the capital knot city and so close without any hazardous terrain or ghosts... why not just turn around right then and do it, so I did, but when I finished my true delivery goal it shows me walking back and forth as my route when i was really just cleaning up those lost deliveries.

Plus, I went over this mountain bit, collected a ton more lost deliveries (all to capital) and saw even more I didn't or couldn't nab. I offloaded my main mission thing. Before starting the next mission thing, I figured I'd just hand deliver the crap I had, pick up another couple on the way back too. But when I started trekking back, most of the packages were actually for the waystation right behind me, but I was nearly full already so I reasoned I'd get those on the way back...back. However, I struggled getting up and over the mountain and got caught in a timefall that wouldn't let up and I couldn't find a big enough cliff to hide under. Then when trying to get a ladder to plant anywhere, I start getting notifications of various packages rotting up.

At that point idk how long timefall will last and if it's even worth hand delivering if it'll just be destroyed en route. Should I just have done the "entrust" thing with my load and used my empty inventory to clean up waystation lost deliveries scattered about for the full reward since it's so close anyway?

I like the game so far a bunch, the one ghost segment was very fun/stressful, one point thought I was safe to breathe and run but I was very much not and I only barely survived the pirates of dark water poo poo. IMO these guys should leave me the hell alone, I'm a mailman give me a break, keep your drama in the shadow realm.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is timefall set to an area like a soft map boundary at any given "level" or just dynamic?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

There is ONE Order for Sam that I can think of that is actually optional, but you should still do it because it gets you a really fun tool. When Die Hardman tells you about stolen sticky guns, listen to his advice and go do it at the Distro Center South of Lake Knot asap.

edit: Oh also you don't need to worry about getting S ranks on Orders for Sam on the first try, they're added to the Standard Orders rotation once you finish them. There's one mission you are graded on that you can't repeat (building a postbox for Die Hardman) but I don't think it counts toward the total? I'm not sure.

S ranked that postbox mission and everything else so far! Knowing I can retry is cool, but everyone knows only the first attempt really counts.

I know I'll change my tune first time I don't get an S rank, but it seems somewhat generous on Hard for these first babby tut missions. Just did my first mission with ghosts AND human jerks. Thought I'd just take a wide crouching path around the mules, kind of up a mountain slope/face, but I still go pinged and would scuttle off in a panic. They never actually caught me, but I did freak the BB out when I "climbed down" a cliff a little too high and roughly and I ended up giving it some kind of condition or whatever :-( I was tempted to reload a save but then the ghouls showed up. That seemed fine at first, the clacker was nice and blue and I was making good progress seemingly safe, then I stopped for a second to do a radar sweep, and holy poo poo i was like mad deep into a big mob of spooker dooks and then I got grabbed b y one and the awful dark water mashing began. Got out finally but lost a little stamina and I just sprinted away in a panic but I got to destination alive.

Still got an S rank for that! A couple of my rare metal deliveries were over 6% damaged!! I'm in for some real disasters if they're already allowing me this much leeway :___:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are some of these online thingies populated from play-station or did tons of people just populate some shards heavily in first few days. I also wonder if like, you enter a shard with signs and stuff with 50-400 freaking likes, throwing your own down seems as if throwing it down to a "dead zone" in some way? Throwing stuff down in seemingly naked/fresh areas seems to get more responses.

Anyway, what I'm really wondering is why nobody but NPCs be liking my bridge or ladders.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been playing games my whole life that ceaselessly played 2-3 minutes chiptunes on a loop from the moment you turn it on to the moment you go to sleep and can finally get them out of your head.

I get what you're saying, like, it's the same dramatic pullback without any of the tension relief or new scenery to chew, but really it's just videogame music playing during routine part of gameplay.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That feeling when you offload a super heavy load and then are practically empty is awesome. Feels like a speed cheat code for a little while. Your mobility really goes nuts when you're unburdened. I went on a little side order into nearby MULE territory, rode in on the bike, nabbed the documents, then rode away. Well, I got shock speared and fell off my bike, so I ran away but it was so fast I didn't even miss my bike... until I went back for my bike later when I definitely did miss it.

I love gathering up like dozen or more of player packages to deliver, just hoovering up all the light-weight packages and stacking em tall. Gained like 12 bridge connection levels. I should probably leave this area at some point, I just keep bouncing between the first 4 places you unlock. I'm getting better at forcing the bike over the forest crater walls near Wind Farm!

I'm getting a real MGSV vibe from mission structure so far and with that means me spending the majority of my time doing side ops before ever wrapping up the MSQ.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

has anyone ever actually run out of battery because i have not

I did once, just on the starter bike and was burning energy my first time trying to get over the wind farm edge on bike and back. Luckily it died right before a bridge, so I was able to coast to its power range, then I was able to ramp down and use the speed to reach my generator by the west distribution center.

Hipster Occultist posted:

The writing is also kinda bad, the plot is easily the weakest part of this game. While the performances are relatively solid given that this is some good acting talent involved, the diolague is often pretty goddamn hammy. And the metaphors, dear lord the metaphors. They're far too simple (and less clever than the writing thinks they are) and drastically over-explained. It'd flow a lot better if Kojima just trusted his audience to get it with needing to explain it.

My goddamn eyes almost rolled out of my end when I saw that the social media device was loving handcuffs

So far I haven't hated the writing/story, but I do hate how I can tell that it's one of those deals where 99% of the mystery and intrigue is simply stuff they haven't explained to me yet, presumably stuff Sam would know himself anyway. IDK, just not a big fan on when a story hinges on the reader arbitrarily having known info withheld from them.

I do dislike a few characters so far. Ludens fan is annoying, just something cringe about the way he talks. Doesn't help the first time I showed up he's all "aw man youre the fuckin best, i mucho appreciate it wow i cant believe how cool and tough you are doing that, fuckin cool man!" Maybe I just don't like looking into that dude's dead eyes. Speaking of, does every freaking delivery-point/base just have some middle-aged dude in charge of distribution? First 3-4 were white dudes, just recently unlocked an extremely unimpressed black dude. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed he got all of these average looking dudes to get scanned for his game and all and managed to resist turning them all into Quiets.

I don't like Fragile so far, but it's 100% because of her cryptobiote thing. First time? Cool, introduce us to eating da buggies, maybe some people find eating a bug to be shocking/freaky/unusual/whatever...fine-- but she does it basically every time she shows up in a scene! Once twice in the scene, does she get a kickback every time she sponsors the things, is she trying to get Sam addicted to them? It's also just loving weird and rude to wake someone up, by offering them food you're shoving in their face before they can even really wake up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Wait till you have a gun, or ram them with a car. You can hit people with a car once and not kill them, magically.

You can hit them with bike, you just need to be fast and anticipate their attempts to dodge, if not, you can get shocked off bike. Just got to the MULE island segment of the game though so Im sure I'll get proper tools soon enough. Right now someone left a level 3 skeleton at the share locker you unlock skellies at and I've just been sprinting through their areas. I did try using one of the decoy packages but I was already running away from several people so it didn't work as I hoped.

I got a question about the BTs and the hemo grenades. I know if I direct-hit a 'unaware' BT it dies immediately. However, if you just get them with the AoE they kind of just writhe a bit and will still be an obstacle. Seems like once they're aware of you actively you have to chuck several to get them to die. Chucking them at them when they already coalesce into the freaky hell water corpses mass it takes even more hits to make em chill. Anyway to get your bike out of black goo btw? I just reloaded when it happened, didn't see a way to ride or dig it out.

Oh yeah and big spoiler question. It's too late now, I've already killed several, but I haven't even tried my poopoo and peepee grenades yet... but is there a "thing" depending on how many or if you kill BTs or not? AFAIK MGS3 was basically the only videogame in history to really care all that much about if you murder ppl or not, but still, every Kojima game I habitually avoid killing just in case (and also because avoiding killing is usually fun). I've knocked out a few MULEs but haven't killed anyone. Just curious if I get a gold star or something iof I get through the game without murdering hella BTS/MULES

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

I have bad news for you

Oh? What do you mean?

I know everyone slobs your knob for being the taskrabbit and all but idk just didn't feel genuine coming from him. Or maybe it was genuine and that dude is just sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ok cool, I won't be shy about using the tools available to me then!

Midjack posted:

Ludens Fan was a little bit of a dudebro, as was Musician. There are a few lady preppers out there in the Central region though I think all the Cities and DCs are staffed by men.

Something about Fragile’s smile was a little off putting for me and the close ups of bug eating were kinda eeeeh too but it was survivable.

The bugs seem yummy, would eat one. It's more that she's always doing it in a way like "oh-ho look at me aren't I being so veird right now?" But in-universe it's just a normal food for SAM and also IRL bugs can be eaten, so her always trying to wake you up with it or whatever just seems like she wants to be acknowledged for doing this mundane thing, and even if bug eating super creeps you out, by the fifth time... surely the novelty of shock has worn off.

Something about her render is a little freaky too, like maybe her skin is just a little too translucent? Maybe it would help if I knew the actress' previous work. Then again, still never enjoy it when sitting in private room and accidentally mash "b" too much and Sam lunges at the camera to point at his GI Joes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I use DS as a foil to people who say Kojima games are obfuscated or inscrutable. Death Stranding is scrutable. Achingly, sometimes embarrassingly scrutable. Kojima desperately wants you to know what he means.

I think his penchant for being extremely on-the-nose and heavy with symbolism has to be in some part because no matter how explicit you make symbolism, some people will always just treat it like people are over analyzing or looking too into things that aren't there. Heck even straight up warning sign or navigation symbols seem mystical to some.

Question bout building up highways, is it always just by those pylon things and are those pre-set by the game or what? I know ziplines and some sort of hoverboard are coming, but is there ever a way to got get materials from one of my 5 star bunkers and bring it over to these highways?

Also, I haven't made the effort myself yet, but can you climb all the mountains and poo poo? There's a pretty snowcapped mountain on this lake island segment place. Is it a matter of some cliffs just being too high to ever ladder up over, or straight up invisible wall style barriers long before mountain peaks?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 22, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love this game. Just spent my whole game time delivering poo poo to highways and then getting sidetracked exploring for chiral crystals. Ended up clearing out a MULE camp because they just kept running at me slowly as I bola'd them. Luckily a new prepper was hidden nearby and he wanted me to grab hi ma bunch of old nintendos, which was easy since every MULE was asleep. How long does that last, clearing a camp? Gonna try and clear the other ones next time and see if that makes my bot missions super successful. I wish you could see your bot en route and try to help it if you came across it but I guess they knew players would do that, defeating the point of it to begin with lol.

I'm running out of Ceramic (and metal and chiral crystals) from a lot of these outposts, and one time I desperately needed more ceramic to finish off the highway before someone else beat me to it. Went to a center to scavenge the share lockers and some poor sap left 800 units of ceramics just sitting by the terminal. I know I'm supposed to turn it in, but I swear, this guy must have been trying to do the same thing I was. Strangely, didn't see a name for it except for the online-player star thing, might just've been a blank or weird steam name. Anyway, thanks sucker, I finished off my fourth highway that has "significant contribution."

I also love having a highway built into areas the main game doesn't need me to go yet, discovered a farm earlier and a place I assume I'll eventually need for the story.

Oh, is "S lol" the highest rank, I finally got my first non-S ranks and quickly replaced some of them with the "S lol" but now I'm wondering where it stops. Are these S ranks just As all along and the game doesn't go below B? Also, do bot missions count for completing a task or do you always still need to do it human style once to count as "done"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I'm thirty hours in. I'm building roads and getting likes. I can't remember the last time Deadman called me.

The only characters I care about this point are "another player has used your..."

I think folks like you and I are destined to be MULES, in time.

Triarii posted:

If you have trucks unlocked, probably the best way to get loads of materials is to raid mule camps and take all their stuff. Each camp hoards a particular material, and there will be thousands of it stored in their various lockers, and it even replenishes after a while (probably when the mules respawn?). Make sure to bring your own truck because the ones they drive have crappy cargo capacity.

I don't have trucks unlocked yet, but I've been stealing MULE trucks since the first time they chase me down before I had bola gun. Just chicken-head ran around and managed to steal it from under them lol. Now with Bola gun though, MULES have become almost like walking pinatas, I kind of like when they start flashing and doing their beep scream at me, come on chumps loving bring it!!! Can't wait to raid your stupid mailbox for a new bola gun I'll use to clear out the next camp.

I should get the drat real truck though, I think the Power Skeleton lv3 lets me carry more than the truck can even handle so a lot of trips with tons of metal/ceramic take a long rear end time in this overloaded slow truck. Honestly with how much hauling I've been doing, this game needs an MGSV casette system. Yeah the cinematic tracks and stuff are dope and moody, but give me a walkman and some killer 80s hits or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can give hundreds of likes within ten seconds, maybe these folks just have way too low of a porter level to be able to send so many at once. I won't notice anyway, I'm getting thousands from highways all the time so keep your likes, email people.

I also lost 100 likes today for ramming a Porter I thought was a MULE. That's gonna take a while to offset in porter likes, but was immediately covered by building likes.

I built highways today until I couldn't find anymore to build, so then I went exploring. Sadly, you can get to a lot of stuff and find shelters and stuff but not do anything with them yet. Even found mama in a spooky zone. Also found a ton of chrilium near an incinerator, like 1200 in a small area. Was cool to scout ahead where I assume next story beats will lead me, disturbingly close to the edge of california already though, I do wish packages would spawn in these areas. I did discover the next big batch of highways, maxed out crystals on a bunch of em but decided to advance story before long-hauling materials through a BT area and all that again.

Not sure how useful these hover platforms will be, besides a kind of fun and dangerous way to go down a mountain slope? Can you attach em to your bike?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would say so, though it might not be quite as slow and tedious/technical as that? If you like the joy of traversing hazardous terrain in a variety of ways, you'll dig this.

I haven't gotten to that dope snow-climb yet, but I did wind up there a bit by accident exploring and I'm very stoked for that stretch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you eliminate all of the BTs in an area the rain will go away, but only for a few minutes tops. It seems like the devs really didn't intend for you to bother doing that.

And no, S ranks don't unlock anything on their own, you just get fewer likes and thus level up facilities a little slower.

OK so I just last night had my first failed BT encounters. Usually I just be sneaky and use my grenades and such to take em out, but yesterday I biked over a ridge and basically ramped right through a BT. I was pissed off because I just picked up two premium deliveries without accounting for how much weaker speed skeleton was. I was so annoyed by the sudden BT attack I just let them kill me.... but it takes you to a freaky area to fight a big liono BT. I blasted him with my blood-gun, but it just pissed him off, and I guess I ran out of HP/blood while fumbling to toss a grenade. I went to the dead man lake, poked some corpses, then came back to life still in the muck arena. I wound up escaping the area and that stopped all the BTs. Cool! Finish my mission with some bad grades, go back and try to do it again knowing the BTs will be gone.

Well, they came back seemingly as soon as I started that standard order again. This time I decided to set my stuff down, go get captured on purpose, then grenade the gently caress out of the BT. I start this, and I'm facing the liono but I can't get my grenade to toss, too stuck in muck, so I turn to get out of dodge and regroup but the thing ate me in one bite. Went to another dead lake but it was a lil different, and when I repatriated I caused a big void-out, which I vaguely remember Die Hardman warning me about. Yikes! Is this permanent, did I screw myself out of a good ending by doing a void out?
I'm guessing doing that method of clearing BTs is very temporary, something you'd essentially have to do every time you crossed through or had a new delivery.

BUT there's a stretch of road near The Craftsman where I was building some highways. A couple days ago, I got sick of hauling stuff by hand so I used a MULE truck* to help me out. I cleared a path to the next highway pylon using grenades, but didn't go and clear all the BTs in the area, just the ones in my way. It became safe to pass back and forth. Well, this morning, I went by again for another resource haul, and it was still clear! The BTs I remember leaving seemed to still be there and the goons I cleared out stayed gone. Like, it had been a couple IRL days + several in-game days and even world state change (I think, went to Lake Knot and Die Hardman was like you can't fragile jump anymore [boo, i was literally going to try that out today for 1st time] and implied there would be more BTs now?). It's also not a temporary storm area, weather never indicates it stops.

So possibly, clearing some BTs but not all will maybe leave the dead ones dead until they're all gone or something happens.

Triarii posted:

I actually laughed out loud when I walked over a hill and across a river to the first shelter about a mile away, and a progress map popped up indicating that I had just walked about 10% of the way across the United States of America.

I would love to get to the end and they pan out and it really is a map of the United States, just loving tiny. I mean, Outer Wilds pulled off a mini-verse pretty well.

*holy gently caress the MULE truck is as sucks as y'all said, just got the real truck this morning and holy smokes, it can carry SO MUCH and goes faster even full. I finished three whole highway segments in a row with one load of materials I casually picked up. WOuld've taken me hours to do on foot or bike otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah weather option is dope. Seems my Voidout will go away relatively soon, it's often raining in that stretch between junk and artist mom. It's also why I suspect half-clearing BTs is a good strategy to make easy passages through their areas of perma rain.

Speaking of junk and artist, BIG YIKES. First, Junk Dealer was showing me a little girl doing some awkward little kid stuff with her toy. He's lamenting the loss of his daughter, all mad at everyone because the loss of his girl. Then you find out his daughter is actually alive, cool! So you go to meet up with her and she's gotten older since the incident but you figure you'll reunite them. Surprise! That's this little girl's mom and the little girl isn't Junk Dealer's daughter, it's his lover. I was losing my mind at this point and it didn't help the actress and lines were hella strangely acted and written. I guess she's just supposed to be a young adult, but the way she's introduced read to me very much like "presumed dead child of junk dealer" complete with slightly sad nursery mobile music.

I cracked up hard when I accept the "escort mission" and figure she will be maybe tethered to me in some way like the floating trays, or a normal she will follow behind and I'll just need to take an safe route to destination... nope! She loving hops in the corpse bag like a little caterpillar and you haul her rear end while she says more weird poo poo while you're trying to keep her safe. Then you get her there and have to watch them do a marriage proposal and yeesh, that was the most bonkers part of the game for me so far. I got a fun screenshot from it though:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Where are the Otter head and the sunglasses you get from the director hidden? I can't find them.

I just got the Otter Head from Conan O'Brien lol

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I absolutely hated it until I realized no, it's okay, I love it, please let there be more VAs in this game that speak not a single lick of english, zero, none.

their little storyline is the source of some wonderful emails.

kojima should just do all the voices himself next time

I loved her accent, don't get me wrong, I think it could be a cute storyline if they just didn't make it out like she was a little kid. Speaking of that area she is in, can you get over that bit of mountain behind her place? Also what happens if you jump in the craters you dump infected packages in?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I had to do annual mandatory sexual harassment training for work, and as I was clicking through it, I started to imagine it in a Death Stranding context, like some dude walks up to a coworker's cubicle and just starts mashing the like button for 8 seconds straight, before walking away. I wonder how the porters feel when I zip up to them on my bike with a mountain of cargo on my back, force them to leap out of the way, then walk up and give them a zillion likes before zooming off. That's gotta be weird, right?

I like how if you give them enough likes, they just offer you whatever they're carrying lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

night slime posted:

What do you do on PC to recover your balance? I thought the dual shock 4 triggers were pressure sensitive or am I delusional.

Both triggers is cool but pressing b to crouch instantly resets your off balance easily too. It's a little faster than just tightly holding both straps too I think.

IN other news: You can't flip a truck, I tried my best but it just won't happen, so have fun taking sharp turns and weird rocks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Build 5 more road segments way up in the mountains and finally accepted the south knot quest. It was a hilariously chill mission since I safely took my highway all the way there. They wanted to play a music track after it too so I got off my bike and walked very slowly to let it play out a little.

Then I got to the first part of the game I haven't enjoyed. Died several times on this dumb war mission. Non-lethal stuff doesn't seem very helpful, I just keep getting gunned down when trying to rambo it. I'll come back tomorrow after watching BIG SARU do it.I'm not about trying to fight the weirdo from my bb memories.

Ok drat, obviously won't be able to pull this off but cool to know strand works.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 30, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried for a bit more at the combat section but I straight up wasn't having a good time. Lowering difficulty would've been smarter but I just grabbed a cheat table for that section to get passed it, don't feel bad about it at all. Then I unlocked the ziplines and proceeded to immediately ignore their obvious attempts to get me to monkey up the mountain the hard way when I have a road that practically leads right to where they want me to go.

Loaded truck full of every scrap of ceramic and metal I could and went back up the long mountain road, only to once again realize they wouldn't let me sequence break in any fashion. Still made it up to mountain knot nearly on truck only. These last few highway pylons are going to be tough to complete, they very purposely put one pylon that takes almost 10k of metal/ceramic to stop highwayman like myself from just truckin on up. Chiral crystals are also becoming quite scarce for these last few. Here's hoping the three next centers I officially open have the required mats. I suppose once I finish this highway, I can build a zip network, but that seems like such a hassle, manually carrying chems and special alloys to and fro. Maybe I'm just spoiled not having to use a ladder or climbing anchor in so long. Definitely should build zips to chiral artist and weather station because I always avoid their deliveries due to the hassle.

I have 5 stars from almost everyone, besides Mama, South Knot (close tho), Director (just need to do one more to officially get the star, bots got me to 4.99 stars already), and of course pizza man at barely 1, maybe even under? ...oh wait, Lake Knot dude STILL hasn't gotten that last sliver of 5 star. I kept thinking maybe the game was holding it back until story progression but we're way past that being the hub now. It's just weird bringing him a huge load of regular orders and lost parcels and he's just like "meh." Even the dude's face is severely unimpressed with everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

You don't need materials to build ziplines, just to upgrade them. A level 2 zipline has an extra 50 feet of range but that's all, so if you plan ahead you can stretch out a network with a few carefully selected upgrades.

You don't have to build ziplines at all but making the grand zipline network from coast to coast was one of the big highlights of the game for me! Not all at once, of course. I'd build out, go raise levels with some preppers to get more bandwidth, and build some more. I'd love more open world/action games that let you build your own infrastructure!

True I just have an upgrade addiction. I'm always keeping up on my 5 stars game, plenty of bandwidth to go around. I should go back to the first level sometime and check on those old boys and see if there are any secret preppers out there I missed.

I was also thinking I could use a Zipline network to get over the mountain and to these last 3 mountain pylons. Yeah, highway directly to them is cool but it is quite the long drive in a pretty slow vehicle. I keep meaning to time a trip from the "starting point" of a highway haul to the next available pylon. I'm mostly out mats right now anyway, but I'd be curious which was faster, one mega-haul the highway-way, or zipping up and down a mountain range 300m at a time carrying only 300 or so worth of mats at a time.

My money is still on truck, the absolute volume it can carry is boggling. Chiral Crystal farming is annoying, especially when I don't travel on foot or deal with BTs for a long time. I have found a few caches of hella chiralium but they're pretty rare. Part of me is tempted to send out bot deliveries, then rest in private room, and repeat just to get my outpost resources back up. So much stuff would decay though, maybe even my precious roads.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do other player Ziplines not show up or only in the next zones I haven't QPID'd yet?

What's a good load out for a Zip trip? I guess it probably doesn't matter too much aside from the PPC2s, ropes and ladders if you need em, but you could always zip back to get em on demand, right? And I could get my route differences much closer to 1 with the right zip network. Hmm I can feel the zip madness forming inside.

Wheeee posted:

ngl i fuckin loved Sam constantly talking about how FUCKIN BADASS it would be to see this AWESOME BIKE on RIDE with Norman Reedus while using the RIDE-branded special bike

my greatest disappointment with Death Stranding is the inability to have my private rooms stocked with the far superior MONSTER ULTRA WHITE

I was actually surprised when they replaced the monster with timefall porter. 3 Monsters and a bug is a bad breakfast no matter how you slice it, but 3 beers and a bug can't be better! I also like how it can turn my sweat and filth ytime-rain into Monster to drink on the go. I've yet to see the RIDE ride outside of taking a dump.

Speaking of, I took a brown dip in a hot spring known for its ability to ease bowel tension to facilitate making GBS threads. Tried to tell myself it was hot mud, but come on, it was clearly a steaming pool of diarrhea water.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 31, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hmm but what does the butt shaped lake symbolize i wonder

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wheeee posted:

They began to show up more for me as I crossed into mountain territory, but yes they show up and have been integral to my obsessively having ziplines in place to never have to walk anywhere more than once.

As to the RIDE bike, you get the design well before ziplines from a delivery I think, I forget exactly, but build one and ride around on it.

this fuckin game

I got it yesterdaym, haven't built it yet. Turns out it's a reward from one of the memory collectibles, not sure which, I usually only turn em in when I have several gathered.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Man the auto pavers on the way to Mountain Knot are insanely expensive. I'm basically driving back and forth between there and the MULEs near the Engineer making supply runs (usually stopping to farm the BT at the abandoned factory near the Craftsman for crystals).

Is there a closer source I'm missing? The terrorists nearby all stock Special Alloys.

(I admit it's entirely possible that once I actually GET to Mountain Knot they'll dump materials on me and I'll feel dumb)

I'm curious if there's a way to get stuff from the eastern region over to central, only way I know how to get back there is doing a Quiet jump. Terrorists don't spawn jack poo poo really until they're in an online area, and even then, mountain know seems to have way less mule loot than previous zones. Maybe just my luck or online region?

I do know I'm not doing the Mountain Knot city mission until the highway is done. I don't have a good excuse for this behaviour besides I know they purposely jacked up the rates on the first several pylons up that slope because they really want you to have the dramatic moment in the mission with BTs and rain and poo poo. Maybe I'm robbing myself of that moment, but I'm gaining one I look forward to like when I finally officially came to this region. Die Hardman crying about BTs and using Ziplines to get overm ountains and watch out its a danger-trip... Bud I been building highways and hoovering chiral crystals out here since before you even had me go to South Knot.

Shinmera posted:

Ah, yeah, holding fire is my mistake. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Anyway, today I went up to Mountain Knot. If I hadn't thought to put the bomb onto a carrier it probably would have been much more of a pain.

Exactly the moment I'm robbing myself of but in return I will get to just take a relaxed truck ride up the highway. I'm also very curious where the highway goes once it gets to Mountain Knot.Don't see more pylons, but do see an area westish I haven't started building roads in yet... if they are there. Sadly, no road pylons in Eastern region even once you unlock em. That region seems to benefit from ziplines a ton.

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe it's just my playstyle but from a point where I unlocked ziplines I never walked to any new place without carrying enough PCCs to construct a zipline highway on my way back. It seemed to be most efficient.
That basically made the whole second part of the game a complete breeze.

On the other hand, zip-lines kinda suck. They're so boring, you can't even even like look at your wristcuffs to read emails or the pile of data you have to catch up on. It's cool to make a delivery in 2 minutes with 1.1x trail difference but woof, if you don't have a podcast on it's just like a waste of time. I'm saying that as the kind of braindead weirdo whose been hauling resources up to road pylons for like 50 hours. I definitely want to build a few serious zipline networks, one to go a distro center to weather center to over the mountain, but I always forget to bring ladders or get distracted. I'm also not the best zip-line planner yet, Ive got at least 4 zipline thingies built just between mountain waystation and mountain distro center. Like just pylons you can skip over, either I built them too close thinking I would have to for them to connect over a ridge or whatever, or one of them is just a weird deal that only works one way. I should go clean them up to free the bandwidth, but I haven't.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha you did a lot better than me. I refused to push forward and single-handedly finished off many roads into areas I hadn't unlocked network for yet. Then did the same even when I unlocked truck and stuff. I was really hoping for more of an achievement for gettingf road done all the way to mountain. I'm hoping this means there is a road somewhere in the west USA region when we get there? 100% agree with you on needing radios in-game. MGSV had the drat walkman, we have freaking chiral printers, and floating electric highways and all that but not chiral radio? The Low Road songs are cool and all but on a 10-15 minute slowish drive from one end of region to the other would be nice to have some jams.

Also, do we ever go to Texas?

Wheeee posted:

Death Stranding is a bad game trapped inside an entertainingly dumb and good Kojima art project.

It's worth experiencing once, but I can't see ever playing it again after one thorough play through.

I disagree it's a bad game, I really enjoy the delivery loop even removed from the kojima artwork parts.

I'm not sure "worth experiencing once" is a negative thing. I can't think of any game (that didn't specifically revolve around some kind of endless replay/procedural-generation/NG+/GaaS/loot-fever system) I'd necessarily want to play more than once after completing it, especially if there's linear narrative involved? Maybe I'm an outlier and just don't revisit old beaten games very much unless it was eaten by brainworms over time and I forgot it. I feel like I have too many unplayed new games to move on to usually.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 9, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only game I can recall beating in a day is Pokemon Snap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I find the in-game music player weird - I can listen to a song so long as I do literally nothing else. I can't even read my email?

Originally you could only listen in certain Private Rooms, by going to the foam-padded vinyl appreciation booth. It got scrapped because Kojima wanted to upgrade it it to a full blown anechoic chamber but they had deadlines to meet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I turned my second monitor off and closed Discord and got some better performance out of the game, still left everything default but toggled on some upscaling thing?

I just got the quest to bring mama to her sister. McCree shows up and ambushes me with freaking three gold-face lions!! I got wrecked a few times by one, non-gold lion. I'm guessing the trick to defeating them is to cut their cords, since I just got that power. I tossed a few grenades before dying or mama dying knocked off of me, but didn't see any cords.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there somewhere nice I can set Mama down? Maybe some kind of spot immune to three evil lions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's good to know, I'll revisit tomorrow and cheese the hell out of it if I can. I didn't even want to start this mission, I justed wanted to pickup my chiral boots in her p locker lol. Quest auto-starts and even after that they like, force-walk you outside in a way I don't recall ever happening before. Fair trade if you get to camp out inside and use terminal. I did get an ominous email about autotoxemia right before waltzing in to mama house. am I about to go through the bb-less part of the game? anything I should do before engaging that or is it just a quick thing?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you want a direct spoiler (but not plot spoiler) answer: Yes. Immediately after doing the mission to take Mama to Mountain Knot, you will be without your BB for a while. It's up to you how fast you're willing to work to get it back, but there will be a whole chapter of the game dedicated to it.

If you don't want a spoiler answer: Make sure you've done everything you wanna do for now before escorting Mama to Mountain Knot. You probably should get used to trudging through snow while you have the luxury.

Got me a decent zip network over the mountains, pretty used to trudging in em by now. Got the level 3 all-terrain skelly too. Otherwise just need half a star for roboticist, I think there are some other preppers up in the mountains but I ain't seen deliveries for em yet so I assume they're locked for now.

I did have a pizza quest, but I already got auto-locked into mama mission. but once I cheese these lions, lol, no reason me and mama can deliver pizza together.

Codependent Poster posted:

Remember that running away is an option.

I feel like Higgs really needs to be taken down a peg right now. I watched some videos and I'm also realizing I have 3 lions b/c I set it to very hard a while back for the SSS ranks. Haven't felt it much yet, but this is definitely a place where it shows.

dogstile posted:

Hahaha i just figured out exactly how much i can store in an actual bridges truck.

Jesus.

E: Also I assume the otter hood is purely for use with floating carriers, you just float down a river with your stuff right?

Oh man, I don't even know if you can do floating carrier in water yet but I'm gonna try. Otter hood is just cool though, really love the squeeeeeeek noise it makes when going gon or off.

Oh yeah, other random cute detail: Left Sam and BB AFK in some hot spring, came back and BB was on his belly doggie paddling baby-syle. p adorable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

buglord posted:

Speaking of BB i really hate the glitch or whatever when you have to shake him to calm him down. For a few seconds he seems to like it but then eventually i get the warning sign and he turns away and the fluid chamber turns red. Does that happen for anyone else? It seems like you should be able to shake him more to calm him down but the game is all nope.

I have to resort to peeing since he likes watching that or double jumping a lot. I was hoping the 5gb patch would fix this.

I just keep at it, never quite get the timing perfect but just push the stick up and down repeatedly at some regularish pace and he'll eventually start laughing.

Wheeee posted:

BB likes going fast and doing sick wheelies and jumps and poo poo; sometimes when you're on a zipline he opens his little BB shade to watch and is happily clapping along as you zoom down the line

I love when the bike decides to go into overdrive, can't do it on command, tilting wheel up while going over rocks seems to be the best way. Funniest is when you get hung up on a rock lip or something, but the bike keeps building up momentum and then you go flying up really high or far fast.

BB also loves a cool double jump over a river or over a couple hills.

The big scary fight wasn't so bad, you totally can camp 100% safely it was really chill. Finally ran out of blood bags though and the white boys stopped throwing me new ones. Fortunately, discovered by accident I still have like a hundred cryptos and d-cryptos on me. Always wondered what happened to the ones I collected but didn't eat.

Also new item is lame? Power Glove seems flat worse than Gravity Glove? Rarely encounter sliding action and punching mules is last resort.

Storywise:
Wasn't expecting Mama to die but I guess also she didn't really, or kind of already was but became more alive now? I wasn't shocked, however, to find out the guy with the sinister skull face turns out to be a shady guy lol Kudos to Kojima for not naming him Betray Samman or Backstab Moleman

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The gravity gloves weren't originally in the game, they're one of the half-life tie in items. The power gloves made much more sense on the PS4 version.

Ohhh okay. I hope post-game there are more "special" items, kojima games are usually pretty great about it. There's a lot of game breaking stuff I would love to gently caress with in this engine and movement system. Some frog-leg skeleton super jumps, a BotW Glider, snowcraft, reverse sticky gun to pull youerself, hover boots, poo poo like that. Would also dig some faster vehicles, funny hat to make enemies ignore u, etc

P.S. Trying pissing in the snow!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BB enjoying sick jumps and stuff also checks out. My dad told me when I was fussy as a baby he'd throw me in the back of the Camaro and drive around until I fell asleep or cheered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Observation Towers are good for ferreting out some of those little chips. I usually ignore them but in the mountains I used one and found like 5 or 6 in this one tower field of view. Havent grabbed em yet, lot of em seem pretty tricky and trudging around the snow wears your stuff down so fast