Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

:munch:

Can't wait till she becomes Empress of China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Ooooo gently caress yeah, I'm also glad to get into one of these right at the beginning. I only hopped on Al-Andalus when it got to EU4, this ought to be just as interesting!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly I don't think anything can beat Al Andaluse's constsnt streak of bad decisions and bad luck leading to obsessively picking bad decisions until Europe is on the cusp of unrestrained nuclear warfare.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ChaseSP posted:

Honestly I don't think anything can beat Al Andaluse's constsnt streak of bad decisions and bad luck leading to obsessively picking bad decisions until Europe is on the cusp of unrestrained nuclear warfare.

We haven't even gotten to vote on anything yet! I'm sure if given a chance Goons will run Tibet just as hard face first into just as many walls.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

ChaseSP posted:

The truly crazy thing is that the leaders of Al-Andalus can for the most part legit think of themselves as on the less evil side. They're not, for example, the first ones to drop a nuke.

Obviously Tibet should ALWAYS be dropping nukes.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

habeasdorkus posted:

The truly crazy thing is that the leaders of Al-Andalus can for the most part legit think of themselves as on the less evil side. They're not, for example, the first ones to drop a nuke.

Only because the other side beat them to it.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I'll have you all know that I have over five hundred years left to make bad decisions in CK2 alone. I've been lucky for the first thirty years but that is nothing yet.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I promise you all we will have some spectacular fuckups. I can't say when or how but they will happen.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The real question is if we will continue Al-Andalus' (and Ghana's?) rich tradition of castrations in this megacampaign too.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Ibblebibble posted:

The real question is if we will continue Al-Andalus' (and Ghana's?) rich tradition of castrations in this megacampaign too.

We need to reform the faith to allow human sacrifice and holy wars, and descend upon East Asia.

:black101: BLOOD FOR THE MOUNTAIN :black101:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Execution by climbing the holiest mountain.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nonsense, it's much more profitable to trick rich Chinese merchants into paying for the privilege of dying on it!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Crazycryodude posted:

Nonsense, it's much more profitable to trick rich Chinese merchants into paying for the privilege of dying on it!

That's ridiculous. Why would someone living a life of luxury, pleasure and power risk their life to climb a deadly mountain hundreds of miles away?

Next you'll suggest that we try to sell them on deliberately exposing themselves to the winter winds, or claim that spoilt yak milk is actually incredible for the constitution and charge twice its weight in gold for a glass. :colbert:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tell them the secret to immortality is at the top of the mountain, but only those truly blessed can reach it. Now if you just gave an offering...

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 4: 893 to 900 - Gyelmo Purgyal Gyalyum

The first few years of Gyalyum's reign are characterized by her intense, almost frenzied, behavior -- wanting to do everything at once, almost too much, to the point of personal exhaustion or financial stress.

Her first decision is to move the seat of government. She has little attachment to the dingy castle at Taktsé where her grandfather lived, and so she orders the court to move to Lhasa. It is much easier for her to be in the center of things.

Her next task is to address the new dynasty atop the Dragon Throne. First, in a short and blunt letter, she sends the Jin Dynasty an old military commander and veteran of Yumtän's last war as a gesture of friendship and military support. Second, she asks not to be attacked.

The Tibetans were the first and only kingdom to make contact with the new court and to even attempt to acknowledge their domain over China. The Jin Khagan immediately agrees - perhaps so new to the rituals of the office that their letter of reply contains a grammatical error.

With that foreign threat addressed, Gyalyum turns again to domestic affairs. A few nobles, still upset about the distribution of ranks and titles, have held ambitions of deposing Gyalyum and replacing her with one of Yumtän's bastard daughters - the result of his dallying with another noble's wife. Gyalyum's solution is to revert the leadership of the Sumpa to an appropriate owner.

Then to buildings. There's always something to be done, not enough time.

Her former regent is dispatched to the west to learn about her distant relative's court at Tsaparang and produce some claims on titles.

Ösrung II is a much more impressive figure than any of his predecessors. Intelligent, stubborn, sturdy of body, quick of mind. But to Gyalyum's surprise and the court's astonishment, he is a practicing Buddhist. While much of the nobility do not follow his beliefs, this means that Gyalyum is the only remaining Bön leader of any significance.

To the east, we hear conflicting reports about the Jin Dynasty's attempt to establish itself as the heirs to the previous empire. On one day we hear they have succeeded in pacifying the remnants of the Tang, the second we hear reports of a peasant rebellion and eunuchs attacking army patrols. We conclude all under heaven is in chaos.

To cut her teeth on war, Gyalyum attacks the Buddhist lords near Banbar and then a band of Kyrgyz nomads that have set up near Derge, taking the town of Lhatok. The latter group were occupied attacking the Tanguts in Xia, so that invasion was only too easy.

While this goes on, she sets other affairs in order. One brother is sent off to marry a distant relative in the western branch of the family, and the bastard aunt that might have caused trouble earlier has been married off to a Nepalese royal.

With the patient cooperation of her court, she signs off on dramatic changes in the legal code. While much of the legal system has been in disarray since the dissolution of the empire, she has taken a special interest in codifying inheritance law, subordination to royal commands, and the divisions of land ownership.

In the evenings, when the business of court and palace is concluded, she has a servant read to her stories of old campaigns and mythical heroes. She grows obsessed over the warrior that is called "Hiskander" in the south. She lies awake in the dark and thinks about her life.

She decides to get a sword. Making high-quality weapons is expensive and time-consuming, especially in Tibet. Because of the high altitude, the fires don't burn as hot, and wood and other fuels are scarce.

She spares no expense. Even if the treasury goes into debt for a month and a half, she can live with it.

When it is made, there was an elaborate blessing and ceremonies held, something with a shower of lotus petals and perfumes, something about taking on the aspects of a wrathful protector, and the salvation of all living beings from delusion, but she calls it Rage.

Some months later, Gyalyum receives word of what she was waiting for - claims on much of the west, including their capital of Tsaparang and the trading hub of Purang.

The army marches west, and a detachment is sent to Coqên.

Some small forces are defeated quickly.

They move further west. An army approaches one of Gyalyum's forces at the Pangong salt lake.

The attackers disintegrate against her lines like wet paper. In the tumult and chaos of battle, she roars.

Gyalyum by this point has some skill in mountainous warfare. Almost by intuition, she can read a landscape for key points and hidden passes.

Now the war has become complicated. Another claimant has risen up against Ösrung II - Po the Ruthless, another Bön. Not only do we now face two armies in a three-way war, but the Pratihara from the south, under Mahendrapala I have also invaded the territory of Po the Ruthless.

Her forces press on in any case.

We advance with slow deliberation, defeating army after army, taking town after town. There is nothing to stop them.

The Pratihara soon get what they wanted - a chunk of territory near Leh, enough to command the major mountain passes of the region and divide the kingdom of Guge in two.

In a fit of paranoia or ill-tempered revenge, Ösrung II has burned alive his own sister - our sister-in-law after she married Gyalyum's younger brother, Getong.

But it does not help. Nothing can help him. Po the Ruthless has been defeated. Gyalyum advances on what is left of his forces. They are not many.

Gyalyum has broken the back of the Kingdom of Guge, where her grandfather had barely succeeded in taking a single county from it in almost a decade. The territory of Ü-Tsang now resembles a giant claw, stretching from the western Himalayas to the east.

Gyalyum's brother, Getong, comes home. He says nothing about his time in Guge, and nothing else about his wife. What could possibly be said?

Expect a state of the world post soon. Some things have changed.

A further question for everyone: How are the updates so far? Is the pace manageable? These ones have covered shorter periods because of how many wars I've had, but I was thinking of adjusting the posts to cover about 20-25 years if Tibet becomes more peaceful. Well, whenever that happens.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 7, 2019

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Updates have been of a good length.

I think 10-20 years is a good frame to cover, more if nothing is happening.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
As the French would say, this LP is tres bon

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

RULE FROM HEAVEN.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Obliterati posted:

As the French would say, this LP is tres bon

As a Bön nation we recieve many bon uses

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Update pace is good, this lp is rad, bönanotte

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I agree, this is a good pace, with more time allowed for slow periods

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Thank you for all the feedback! I'm still very new to this LP business, so I appreciate any comments.

Expect a state of the known world update later tonight or tomorrow.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
State of the World: 900

The Tibetan Plateau

The Kingdom of Ü-Tsang is now clearly the most powerful in the Tibetan plateau, and the one most likely to restore the territorial reach and political authority of the old empire.

Gyelmo Gyalyum, a lady of war by age 20, makes no secret of her ambitions.

Gyalpo Ösrung II has lost much of his legitimacy after Gyalyum's invasion. Many of the richest and most populated lands have been lost to him, and he clings a few nomadic tribes and towns on the southern rim of the Tarim Basin. His sudden and gratuitous execution of his younger sister has left him almost a pariah in his own court.

The Krygyz nomads have not only held on to their lands in Dêgê, but they have also waged a successful war against the Khitans in the north, taking Qamdo and Nangqên.

The Far North

Tuoba Renyou, the oldest son of Tuoba Sigong, rules the Tangut kingdom of Xi Xia, which gained independence around the time of the fall of the Tang Dynasty. He is known to be given to carousing and has noted cynicism towards religious practices -- though there are persistent rumors he has a taste for human flesh.

As an aside: note the coat of arms. That is not Chinese, that is the Tangut language.

Jiuquan is ruled by Zhang Xuanling, the grandson of Zhang Yichao, who rose up against the Tibetans to return territory to the Tang. He may be the last of officials still technically proclaiming loyalty to the Tang - we do not know at this point.

In the farthest north, on the shores of Lake Baikal, the Khan Aghuliq is on campaign in the west against the Cumans of Toksoba. His military campaigns and aggressive behavior are on the edge between madness and genius.

The Tarim Basin

The Tarim Basin is dominated by two kingdoms - Khuttal, which is a tributary state to the Cumans, and Guge, which is unbalanced after two major defeats.

The charismatic rebel leader Dharmadase Bharuka has already seized much of the cities around the northern side of the Tarim basin, and won control Ush Turfan after a siege.

Central Asia

The Samanids are clearly the major power in this region, with control over much of the Oxus river basin.

Shah Ahmad is clearly a man content to rest on the fruits of others' labor.

Satrap Muhammad II Banijurid of Khuttal is a tributary state to the Cumans in the north. The rebellion in the Tarim Basin is becoming difficult to put down.

Thumo Pelgyimo is still a vassal of Ösrung II of Guge, but she has no direct land route to him after the Pratihara conquest of Leh and their defeat of Po the Ruthless. She may declare independence upon Ösrung's death, if not earlier.

The 'Middle East'

There is no regional hegemon in this part of the world, and several major states compete for dominance.

Even worse, we hear reports that foreign invaders have taken the holy city of Jerusalem, wherever that is. A mystical order has been founded to drive them out.

The Abbasid Caliphate, under Calipha Paywand, daughter of Al-Mu'tazz "the Evil" is currently struggling with a major revolt.

The figurehead of this revolt is Ali al-Armani, who previously administered lands near the Jordan river. Much of his financial backing, however, comes from Sultan Murad the Fat, whose power base is in the wealthy cities of Upper Mesopotamia.

The Tahirids of Khorasan appear to have adapted their customs and habits to accommodate their subjects. Abdallah II is a young, but dutiful and pious man.

Shah Ali of the Saffarids rose to the throne at age 8 after his mother, Banebshen Golpari, died in combat.

India:

The period of Tripartite Struggle appears to be coming to an end. The Pratihara Empire now commands a dominant position across all of Northern India. They have reduced the Pala to a tributary state. The Rashtrakuta are divided first by internal factions, and then by the stunning invasion of the exiles from the Tang Dynasty.

Mahendrapala 'the Tenacious' now commands one of the most populous empires on earth. His armies have ground the Habbarids of Sindh into insignificance.

The boy-king of Bengal, Virajdendranarayan, dutifully sends coin and troops to his master in Kannauj.

Jagattunga 'The Devil' Rashtrakuta, his lands rent by familial infighting and the Tang exiles, fights interminable wars against his enemies--the Cedi kingdom to his east.

Xue Daizong, son of the exiled Tang rebel Xue Chaodu, is the second emperor of the so-called Ming Dynasty. His Tamil regent, Iracatiracatevar, now makes executive decisions in his stead.

At the furthest south, the Lambakanna still rule Lanka.

In the very north, the Nepalese kingdom is split in civil war, between the loyalists to the senile Maharaja Udayin and the rebel Birsha Licchavi, daughter of the previous king.

In the very northeast, Balavarman III, subordinate to Ü-Tsang, commands nothing and no one.

Culture:

Religion:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait that dude's house is Mlechchha, really? Isn't that just the generic Sanskrit/Prakrit for barbarian?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Wait that dude's house is Mlechchha, really? Isn't that just the generic Sanskrit/Prakrit for barbarian?

Apparently they were a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mlechchha_dynasty

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Though mlechchha is a derogatory word, Harjaravarman, a king of this dynasty, explains the term (though illegible) in the Hayunthal copper plates (Sharma 1978:91).

:shrug:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to the next bit! Awesome LP so far. What are your general plans for the next phase of things? Focus on building up infrastructure? Any particular targets for invasion? Or just see where the game takes you?

ANd loving the cultural bits as well.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

So wait, there's a perfectly good explanation for why they're named that. but it's been rendered completely illegible?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Anybody up for reading "Inscriptions of Ancient Assam" by M. M. Sharma for an explanation? The university near me has a copy...

wedgekree posted:

Looking forwards to the next bit! Awesome LP so far. What are your general plans for the next phase of things? Focus on building up infrastructure? Any particular targets for invasion? Or just see where the game takes you?

ANd loving the cultural bits as well.

Thank you!

I can only invade so much- as an unreformed pagan i can take single counties at a time, but more only if I have claims - like what happened to Guge. If I take a single county every year, I would have enough to reform the Tibetan empire in 20 years.

Given Gyalyum's extremely aggressive and ambitious personality, she may try and reform Bön. Ill see what is something plausible for her to do.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kangxi posted:

Anybody up for reading "Inscriptions of Ancient Assam" by M. M. Sharma for an explanation? The university near me has a copy...

Thank you!

I can only invade so much- as an unreformed pagan i can take single counties at a time, but more only if I have claims - like what happened to Guge. If I take a single county every year, I would have enough to reform the Tibetan empire in 20 years.

Given Gyalyum's extremely aggressive and ambitious personality, she may try and reform Bön. Ill see what is something plausible for her to do.

Have you joined the Bon Warrior lodge?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

NewMars posted:

So wait, there's a perfectly good explanation for why they're named that. but it's been rendered completely illegible?

Welcome to primary sources!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Kangxi posted:

Sure. I'm curious.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

AtomikKrab posted:

Have you joined the Bon Warrior lodge?

Gyalyum joined the Sentinels of Light in 901. It's going to be in the next update.

Rody One Half posted:

Welcome to primary sources!

I have enough problems working with smudged photocopies, Chinese handwriting, and faded carbon paper.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Sure. I'm curious.

OK here goes. The copper plate inscription Salman includes in his book goes: "Oh powerful and high spirited [...] Oh Parthiva (son of Prithivi), your future descendants will, for this reason be called Mlechchas." And no explanation is given. It's the middle of three plates described as the "Copper Plates of Harjaravarman" and the first and third plates are missing. The text in the remaining plate is also corrupt and has major gaps in the beginning.

:iiam:

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 7, 2019

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Anyway expect another update within a week

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kangxi posted:

I have enough problems working with smudged photocopies, Chinese handwriting, and faded carbon paper.
I was always fortunate to work mostly with more modern material, especially Soviet history, but yeah ancient history is a cavalcade of missing or hosed up sources. "Oops, sorry, a monk scratched out this chunk of amiannus marcelinus to make another copy of the Lord's prayer SORRY"

quote:

OK here goes. The copper plate inscription Salman includes in his book goes: "Oh powerful and high spirited [...] Oh Parthiva (son of Prithivi), your future descendants will, for this reason be called Mlechchas." And no explanation is given. It's the middle of three plates described as the "Copper Plates of Harjaravarman" and the first and third plates are missing. The text in the remaining plate is also corrupt and has major gaps in the beginning.
this is the most typical poo poo :suicide:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 5: 900 to 912 - Gyelmo Purgyal Gyalyum 'Knuckle-Slammer'

With the long war with Guge coming to a close, Ösrung II clamps down on any traitors, real or imaginary. At the same time, Ü-Tsang's smaller neighbors form defensive pacts against it.

The oldest of Gyalyum's surviving brothers has succumbed to his wounds. Her youngest brother, Getong, is her only surviving relative on her branch of the family, and by default her heir.

Po the Ruthless, on the other hand, seems relieved and grateful to be part of our domain as we share the same faith. He is soon granted control the lands around Purang.

In May 901, Ösrung II is stabbed to death in the street by armed toughs in the pay of his own sister, Purgyal Pelgyimo, ruler of Kashmir. She did not even attempt to conceal the fact. The crown of Guge passes to his infant daughter. Kashmir gains independence.

Back in Lhasa, however, Gyalyum has come across a gathering of warrior clans, dedicated to acts of physical bravery without regard for social status or rank. Gyalyum immediately asks to join, and proves herself handily by beating another member in a mock duel.

After a minor outbreak of typhoid in Lhasa, Gyalyum is tormented by nightmares of the dead and dying. They die around her but she still lives. What king can yet heal the spotted skin and aid the sick? No one.

But there is some relief - her brother has had a baby boy, hopefully ensuring the family line goes on.

Distant rumors of rebellion in the far western reaches of the world. Nothing worth worrying about.

The Sumpa tribe, still sworn vassals, have seized the pastures south of the Altyn-Tagh mountains.

At court, Gyalyum is drawn to a 'Shieldmaiden' met at the warrior lodge, Pakmodru Tse and invites her to court. Being too overwhelmed, even intimidated, to simply approach Tse, Gyalyum goes through several drafts of a letter of introduction with her most patient scribe. Tse does not reply, as the blunt nature of the letter made it sound like a threat.

Determined, Gyalyum gathers her courage and approaches Tse in person. To her relief and indeed astonishment, Tse agrees.

After a few awkward moments and pauses in conversation, the tension between them soon dissolves. Gyalyum explains her odd behavior directly, and Tse soon recognizes it for what it is. Gyalyum does not commit any obvious faux pas, and soon the conversation flows freely. In the following weeks, the pair soon become fast friends, ready to talk for hours. Soon they talk daily, then they accompany each other to outings and Gyalyum invites her to royal events. It has become apparent to all that their relationship has become something much more passionate and intimate than friendship. It is love.

But even with love, Gyalyum cannot stay still for long.

She makes ready for an invasion of the Pratihara territories near the Pangong salt lake. She sees they are involved in two wars at once, and she cannot but give them a third.

While her army is in transit to the far west, the Buddhists rise up in the Paro river valley. She dispatches part of the army to deal with them.

The Buddhists fight as though they do not fear death. One Gyalyum's most trusted commanders is killed, but in time the rebels are overwhelmed.

The bulk of the army, however, is fighting a Pratihara advance guard near Tholing. That army is soon overwhelmed, and Gyalyum is able to take a handsome trophy from the enemy.

She promptly sends it to Tse as a gift.

After the battle of Tsaparang, instructed by the Sentinels of Light, she sacrifices the enemy commander herself. Through this sacrifice, she appeals to the gods that violence be dispelled and victory come soon.

She pursues the army out of the mountains and makes ready to intercept the enemy in the plains of Gurjaratra.

The Samrat himself, Saugandeva, is seen commanding the troops, but they are never close enough to meet. She wishes it bitterly.

But it would not have mattered. Another rout.

News comes of peace in the Jin empire.

Overwhelmed with other wars, the Pratihara sue for peace.

On the way home, Gyalyum swaps stories with her troops. One shares a fanciful story he heard from a Persian merchant about armies with pale and ashen skin and wearing a cross on their armor. Gyalyum barrages him with questions, but the man admits this was a secondhand story at best, and he can tell only these scraps.

Gyalyum is barely rested from the last campaign when she receives a rambling missive from Pelgyimo of Kashmir, the one who killed Ösrung II of Guge. It has been written by someone drunk, drugged, or desperate, whipsawing between flattery, cajoling, appeals to her warrior nature and military strength, and ending with a long paragraph about how 'we are alike in many ways'. It is a call for yet another war against the Pratihara empire and to join in the defense of Kashmir.

In the end, she does not refuse. No reason not to kick a major rival while he's down.

While on the campaign, Gyalyum is told that her last brother has died from typhoid. His infant son, her nephew, is all that is left of their branch of the family.

Her army, though much smaller than before, still winds a handy victory against the Pratihara outside the city of Skardu. A major prisoner is taken, and he is soon sacrificed, to appease the gods of war.

When the surviving prisoners are questioned, many speak freely about the Chinese invaders in the far south against the 'false-Ming', and how great ships have come from the east to destroy them. At this, Gyalyum doubles over in laughter.

Her army wins another skirmish near Oddiyana.

Victory after victory. The enemy commanders themselves flee and cower before her.

Yet her own forces dwindle, the result of disease and desertions.

While the war goes on, Po the Ruthless has decided to invade the remnants of the Kingdom of Guge. So much the better for him if he wins.

This war is over. Kashmir still retains its independence, the Pratihara tide retreats. Yet Gyalyum is now acutely aware of how small her army can be, and how few Tibetans there are.

Yet she would have nothing else.

Though Tibet grows vulnerable in her army's absence.

The Jin deal with yet another rebellion of Tang loyalists. Yet all is not lost for them - they have shattered the so-called "Ming" Empire into a million pieces and publicly executed the pretender emperor. If nothing else, they have demonstrated they are the only masters of all under heaven.

Gyalyum assembles another army and sets out to punish the nomads. They have plundered a few villages along the border, so she takes from them Markam and proclaims herself ruler of all of Dege.

For all this, for all this, she continues to go to the warrior bands and compete. After a few decisive rounds of arm-wrestling, she is known as the "Knuckle-Slammer". Well, sure.

Po the Ruthless had failed in his invasion of Guge - however, his attempt weakened them enough that the Zhangzhung broke free. Gurib Zutse now rules much of Ngari.

Gyalyum does not do so well in peace. Even in a quick and decisive war, there are still innocent dead. She goes on a hunting trip with some friends from the warrior lodge and her wife. But still she wants to go back.

With Guge reduced to a few towns on the edge of the Tarim Basin, she has an idea. First, seizing the town of Karghalik.

Too easy.

After this, Khotan, the last major city of the so-called Kingdom of Guge.

Not even any battles worth remembering.

Her victory is total.

Not long after, the Zhangzhung, after long-fought independence, have fallen to her subordinates, the Sumpa.

Now the time has come for a new kingdom, of new sacrifices and new rituals, of a new priesthood and new divinity, of new gods or old.

"To all souls upon the earth, with the spirit of death all-present! What best way is there to surrender your life, but for the temples of your mothers and with the ashes of your gods?'"
-Declaration upon the Victory at Khotan, c. 912

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 7, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

drat right Tse is lucky, she's in a relationship with the greatest warrior queen the Tibetan plateau has ever seen!

Also, Po the Ruthless is awesome. Disappointed that someone with such a rockin' name is craven, though.

e: How much more until you can re-form the Tibetan empire?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 7, 2019

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's pretty interesting how easy Bon is to reform compared to say, Finnic Paganism, or worse, West African paganism.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So for role-play clearly we're looking at Gyalyum going for War-Mongering, or MAYBE Unyielding. Temporal head is obvious, then Harmonious and Unrelenting (MAYBE bloodthirsty gods what with all the sacrificing)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

habeasdorkus posted:

e: How much more until you can re-form the Tibetan empire?

Right now I have 41 counties, and I need 60.

NewMars posted:

It's pretty interesting how easy Bon is to reform compared to say, Finnic Paganism, or worse, West African paganism.

I've seen the AI reform it as early as the 880s. Ösrung II could have reformed it if he didn't convert to Buddhism.

Rody One Half posted:

So for role-play clearly we're looking at Gyalyum going for War-Mongering, or MAYBE Unyielding. Temporal head is obvious, then Harmonious and Unrelenting (MAYBE bloodthirsty gods what with all the sacrificing)?

Haven't decided what to do yet. Hierocratic may also be an interesting choice - let someone else be holy while she goes around stabbing things.