Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Crazycryodude posted:

Nonsense, it's much more profitable to trick rich Chinese merchants into paying for the privilege of dying on it!

That's ridiculous. Why would someone living a life of luxury, pleasure and power risk their life to climb a deadly mountain hundreds of miles away?

Next you'll suggest that we try to sell them on deliberately exposing themselves to the winter winds, or claim that spoilt yak milk is actually incredible for the constitution and charge twice its weight in gold for a glass. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Personally I would prefer a Hierocratic or Autonomous structure - it feels like that would fit better, and lays the ground for some interesting power struggles between nobles and the clergy since both can justly lay claim to monasteries under our government type.

Also gonna advocate for Animism or Ancestor Worship as our non-Harmonious tenet. I just think they're neat.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

First and foremost, our faith should be Hierocratic. Certainly, her Highness should still be permitted to administer individual temples and monasteries - as is traditional - but the aristocracy will function more smoothly if certain major duties are kept to the clergy, and if foreign realms should ever see the light, this would prevent troublesome wars over who gets to be in charge.

Second, let us be Proselytizing. The nobility shall spread the light by way of the sword regardless - let our priests and monks spread it by the way of words and rites.

Harmonious seems the best way to ensure a strong royal line, and to handle the theological challenges posed by Buddhism and the Chinese schools of thought. I'll also vote for Animistic - only through respecting the spirits and supernatural forces that shape the realm can we ensure that it is peaceful and prosperous!

e: changed from Unyielding to Proselytizing bc Mirdini made some good points tbh

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 8, 2019

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

AtomikKrab posted:

we have a peace treaty with china that should last at least another 13 years unless the dynasty falls. China will not take hostile actions against us during this time.

Also, the current dynasty has been constantly wracked by rebellion and famine. They've managed to wage, like... Two wars. I don't think we need to worry too much right now.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Caught up, an excellent read so far. The tale of the Empress and the Archpriestess will be an epic for all time.

Gyalyum is, without a doubt, going to be an absolutely legendary figure in Tibet and possibly in the surrounding regions as well.

Which is going to be darkly funny in a millennium when the local nationalist movement is all "gyalyum was incredibly powerful and also I guess passed some reforms or whatever, also here's a fifty page thesis on why she was STRAIGHT ACTUALLY"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

On the positive side maybe "Bön philosophy," "from Lhasa," etc. will be taken up as whimsical early-20th-century euphemisms, e.g. "she went to college for mathematics but learned much more about Bön philosophy"

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

In the broader sense, you could probably simplify that a bit by emphasizing what we've already defined about the LP timeline's Bön - i.e., institutionalized gender equality, mythologizing figures like Gyalyum and her (great?) grandpa, animism and nature worship, etc. There's also lots of room for the religion to develop and schism further as time goes on, per the needs of the story.

As for the Old Bön split, maybe it's more an issue of "we shouldn't be codifying these beliefs at all" - less a question of what the Right beliefs are and more a repudiation of the recently established institutions and scholarly traditions, or whatever. Think something like the Karaites compared to rabbinic Judaism.

From this standpoint, we might expect our new ruler to attempt to undermine the power of the church, either by openly professing his faith and saying Tse is illegitimate, or by nominally maintaining New Bön practices while feuding with her behind the scenes.

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 22, 2019

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Tse's nickname proves increasingly apt.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Frankly, pretty much every mechanic in singleplayer is gamebreaking besides Threat, which is absurd in the other direction, and the Plague

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

e: doubleposted

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

:smith: You deserved better, Trinle.

Hopefully that second son doesn't start any trouble with the succession...

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

I predict this Chinese princess is gonna inherit the will of Gyalyum

The trait between "Quick" and "Sympathy for Pagans" suggests she already has ;)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

drat, Khaireddin the Great seems cool - inspiring, learned, evidently a friend to all People of the Book, and yoked.

And he's gay too! Clearly the forces that shape this universe have spoken: If you're going to be remembered as one of the great leaders of the middle ages, You Gotta Be Gay

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

:ohdear:

Time to carve a path through Western India, maybe? Either that or hope the Mongols will accept tribute.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Jeez. Several years of narrowly averting disaster, only to get unceremoniously dispatched by... the Pratiharas, I must assume, as it surely wouldn't have been another member of the royal family or one of our esteemed Mongolian benefactors. (The very idea.)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ethiopian-Irish food?
Tibetan-Jewish food?

wanna visit this timeline

I could see matzomomo or bacon tibs being pretty alright.

On the other hand: Using injera to eat sausage links or mashed potatoes sounds utterly miserable.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

:yeshaha:

Perhaps this will put an end to all the damned stability here and among the Mongols.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

A Timid eleven-year-old as Tsenmo while the vassal kings rule, eh? :tif:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Kangxi posted:

There were also multiple Anglo-Saxon peasant leaders. There's also the lunatic syphilitic Norse queen of Wessex.

Please preserve this in the form of some kind of Peasant Federation of England in the conversion

And yeah my personal vote is either timeskip or mod in a quick self-destruct.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Tulip posted:

"Nahua pope leads successful crusade against Aztecs" is really poetic

Yeah, there's definitely A Story there. No way that dude doesn't get sainted in a century or three.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Cowards, all of you. Have you no faith in the priesthood? In the spirits of Lhasa, in your Tsenmo? Have you no desire for glory? To see the empire expand throughout the subcontinent, as is its divine right?

War. It can only be war.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Kangxi posted:

I know. I voted in Al-Andalus.

And I have to say a lot of voters are OK with stabbing members of the royal family.

You say that as though we're setting some kind of precedent. Perish the thought :allears:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

:smith:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

HereticMIND posted:

Leave her be. While having an immortal being on our side would be a huge boon for our court, this comes with the price tag of appeasing said being to the detriment of the kingdom’s long term prosperity. Besides, if she wanted to come to us, she would’ve done so.

Let this sleeping dog lie. She isn’t worth trying to forcibly brought into the fold. This isn’t to say we shouldn’t keep tabs on her, so long as we adopt a passive approach when it comes to observation: Interfere when the situation calls for it, but otherwise no contact with her or anyone she meets.

Hear, hear. Keep tabs on her, for certain, but don't interfere for the time being.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

:yeshaha:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Pacho posted:

I hope an Eurasian-wide Buddhist uprising happens and sets up a cool new status quo for late CK / EU4. One of the things that dissapointed me the most about Pope LP was how the Yazidi organically took over Europe for the new Pope to crusade it back to Catholic dominance

Sadly, the secret cult mechanics are fairly limited in that respect - until you go public, most of what you can do is set up communities to auto-flip provinces later on.

That said, modded events, console fuckery, or just a significantly premature unmasking could all make things a bit... Hotter.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Italy carrying on the legacy of the English Peasant States! Good for them.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

the bon gods have sent our liberator

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

paragon1 posted:

There's got to be some weird as hel syncretism going on between the Norse and Aztecs.

It's very simple: With Ragnarok, the forces of frost and wilderness were ascendant, but then the New Sun and his champions (who harnessed the power of the wilds but maintained human form and virtue) came from the sacred land of Vestalfheim to restore order to Midgard.

And if anyone suggests otherwise they have pyres for that.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

A! The False Prophet must be destroyed for attempting to subvert the most high office of the church!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

I would think that certain members of the court would have the sense to respect the wishes of our Tsenmo and not speak ill of the dead.

And besides, that clearly wasn't the real Tse. Immortality doesn't exist and the true Archpriestess would have reluctantly accepted the judgement of her people, not murdered a bunch of them in a doomed attempt to save her own skin.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

It's fine. It's fine. The regency is practically over already! Everything is fine!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

B.

If "immortality" is even real, it clearly drives mortals mad - turns them into crazed monsters. This is even if the pursuit does not kill you, like so many Emperors of the east choking on cinnabar and quicksilver.

Is one life not enough for our beloved Empress? It was more than enough for Gyalyum.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

What do you mean guaranteed to fail? Didn't this exact chain succeed in PopeLP?

IIRC, the chain appears the same, up to a point, regardless of whether the advisor is a fake. You can check their stats - if they're for real, the relevant one (here diplomacy) will be quite high.

Idunn has crazy high diplomacy, so she was likely legit - but as you can see, even if they're legit, you can easily gently caress it up or get unlucky.

Also, I think PopeLP had a different chain - the intrigue one - but I could be mixing up my LPs.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Ferrovanadium posted:

So is Catholicism just slowly devolving into a cannibal cult...?

We can only hope!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

Can you mod Timur to be a Khazar? I want maximum Religion Thunderdome.

Timur shows up and he's a Samaritan Khazar rallying against both the Rabbinic and Karaite factions

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So... is she gonna turn into another Gyalyum?

Honestly, if things continue along the current path, I can only see her mellowing out under the new guy and resigning herself to a life as vassal queen.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Invade China. What's the worst that could happen? :allears:

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Tulip posted:

Man there are a lot of Christian cannibals.

Maybe that's why there's so much heresy

Catharism, Lollardism, Bogomilism, all of it is fundamentally based on the same critique of "STOP EATING PEOPLE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Hell yes. This dude rules.