Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Season 2 ending stuff again I felt that both the Gabe-Belzie and Crowzaphale pairings weren't exactly earned by the rest of the show. Obviously Gabriel was a mystery box, but he was mostly used for gag humour for the entire season, and I did find Hamm's performance funny at least. The flash-backs (ugh sorry about the term) to Crowley and Aziraphale throughout history were good, but I guess since I was watching this through the lens of the book and season 1, it felt more like a buddy story rather than a romance denied. Maybe I'll look at it differently on a re-watch knowing the end goal? :shrug:

Yes. By the fifth episode this pretty much started to feel like the middle part of a trilogy, and the ending pretty much was just that. Obviously the story will continue on the Season 3, but the ending to this one was pretty much "so things just got worse and more complicated, keep watching".

I liked it all the way through, watched it during one weekend so it definitely had that certain spark in its writing, but it would have been nice to get something else than just the "we are doing setup for the next Season" as an ending for this Season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Liked this a lot. Confirmed that they did wise to reduce the cast so much. Jon Hamm is used brilliantly, and the flashbacks are all great and give it a more episodic feel.

Enjoy that they leaned into them being hot for each other. Good ending too, but very much hope they do get that third season.

The end of the episode had a distinctfully BBC problem of the finale being a BIG BAD ARMY just standing around and yelling stern things at the heroes as they meekly step backwards. Huge improvement over the last season when this was four different packs of characters all talking about THE END OF DAYS while standing still, but man British writers suuuuck at action climaxes.

I really liked how Hamm's revelation at the end had been seeded. The jukebox, the fly, etc. ...but I kind of wish they had tied that sooner to Beelzebub. I did enjoy the revelation, but it was so tied to the themes of the season that I wish it could have sat with us for longer in some form.

They better get a third season after that cliffhanger.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

They better get a third season after that cliffhanger.

Wait, WHAT?

I thought they were filming it already or it was at least ordered, and that would explain why the Season 2 got such a non-ender that actually left everything worse than ever.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
loving helll I loved season one and season two was just weirdly loving bad from episode 3 and on.

Spots were fun and interesting but mostly it was poo poo. Childish overacted and underscripted poo poo.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I didn't really like it that much. The world felt oddly small and evertyhing just meandered and the timing was off a lot of the time. A good example would be (episode 5) a scene where the brothel owner tells another character that she's a seamstress. A nice Pratchett reference, but the scene lasts for over a minute with the brothel owner hemming and hawwing about what she actually does while the other character jerks off a wine bottle. If you get the reference - and they assume you to, or why else include it - the explanation is overkill and if you don't get it, it's just a weird aside with no actual jokes in it.

Also the mini adventures in past were the best part of the series, but they were kinda awkwardly slapped in the middle of the episodes, felt like they didn't really have enough story for the main plot. The first one was the story of Job, which started with Gabriel saying a weird phrase and the either one of the main duo saying they've heard it before. Didn't come up in the Job adventure.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

I think that scene with the brothel owner was showing that there was a weird influence going on in the bookshop and it was editing her ability to say prostitute. For example everyone dancing and just knowing the steps and nobody except Nina really questioning it. Same thing with her asking them why she was 'upset but didn't feel upset' etc.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

Wait, WHAT?

I thought they were filming it already or it was at least ordered, and that would explain why the Season 2 got such a non-ender that actually left everything worse than ever.

Sorry friend,

https://www.tor.com/2023/08/07/neil-gaiman-good-omens-season-3-novel/

but hey Neil Gaiman's gonna finish the story with or without Amazon, so there will be some sort of closure.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The way these streaming content producers decide on picking up shows seem even more like calvinball than old-fashioned teevee makers :smith: That said, like 80% of the fun in season 2 was Tennant and Sheen having a jolly old time on screen, and I already have a massive book-reading back-log, make the drat show Amazon :argh:

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Just finished Season 2 - which I enjoyed, although maybe not as much as Season 1, but I've always loved the book and thought that they did a very good adaptation.

John Finnemore (Cabin Pressure, Souvenir Programme etc) seems be a great writing partner for Gaiman, and you can see his influence - the Jane 'Diamond Thief' Austen joke is definitely one of his, and his Book of Job minisode could be one of his radio sketches. If you don't know John Finnemore then I'd encourage you to go out and listen to his work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results - though Season 8 of Souvenir Programme is more of a lightly comic family drama than a traditional sketch show and the ending of Good Omens reminded me of it.

How did you all find the minisodes? Opinion seems to be divided, but I personally enjoyed them - though Nazi Zombie Flesheaters didn't quite click for me, even though I like the writers and actors.

The Ball episode felt very Gaiman though - his theme of regular people behaving under duress, like the diner in Sandman and I kept thinking that I'd read it in one of his short stories - I think it's in the Neverwhere spinoff book about the Marquis of Carabas's coat? I wonder if we'll be seeing a remake of Neverwhere too soon?

Image is an ending spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ha, I didn't make the connection in the spoilered image, but it checks out :hmmyes: