Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NorgLyle posted:

(I read all of these books back in the 90s when I would devour anything vaguely humorous that was also fantasy or sci-fi adjacent.)

How many Xanth and other Piers Anthony books did you read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

twistedmentat posted:

How many Xanth and other Piers Anthony books did you read?
Too many (which is technically "any" but for specifics I read Xanth all the way up to the one with the entire chapter devoted to moles loving, the first four Incarnations of Immortality and Ghost. I avoided by chance any of the Space Tyrant stuff which is apparently quite awful but the dual hits of mole loving and everything in Ghost were enough to break me out of it).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NorgLyle posted:

Too many (which is technically "any" but for specifics I read Xanth all the way up to the one with the entire chapter devoted to moles loving, the first four Incarnations of Immortality and Ghost. I avoided by chance any of the Space Tyrant stuff which is apparently quite awful but the dual hits of mole loving and everything in Ghost were enough to break me out of it).

Yea I read every Xanth book up to...which ever one came out after the tie in for the Companions of Xanth. I think at that point I was 16 or 17 and realized I was too old for them. I read a lot of his other books too, the one offs like Isle of Women and such. I totally thought they were clever and funny. But god drat they were bad when I grew up. Turned me off any kind of sci-fi that has comedic elements in novels. Why I HATE HATE HATE Snowcrash. Like Anthony, Stephenson just drips with smugness over his own cleverness.

This is also why i never read any Prachett books, the storybook cover art didn't help.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I read every Xanth book up to...which ever one came out after the tie in for the Companions of Xanth. I think at that point I was 16 or 17 and realized I was too old for them. I read a lot of his other books too, the one offs like Isle of Women and such. I totally thought they were clever and funny. But god drat they were bad when I grew up. Turned me off any kind of sci-fi that has comedic elements in novels. Why I HATE HATE HATE Snowcrash. Like Anthony, Stephenson just drips with smugness over his own cleverness.

This is also why i never read any Prachett books, the storybook cover art didn't help.
Pratchett's a lot better than Anthony or Stephenson. His early work has a little too much on-the-nose parody but his good stuff is more grounded in its themes and characters. He's still light pulpy airport fiction but there's nothing wrong with that, not every book has to be Serious Literature, and Pratchett's like good fast food - it's not cuisine but you'll have a good time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

The Josh Kirby art was a big turnoff for me too for the longest time, but I eventually learnt to ignore it. Paul Kirby taking over after Josh’s passing helped things a lot for me. But you can get all sorts of covers now, the publishers have gone full re-release crazy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pratchett's a lot better than Anthony or Stephenson. His early work has a little too much on-the-nose parody but his good stuff is more grounded in its themes and characters. He's still light pulpy airport fiction but there's nothing wrong with that, not every book has to be Serious Literature, and Pratchett's like good fast food - it's not cuisine but you'll have a good time.

Pratchett was a great author because he managed to write books that were both light airport fiction and had serious themes. It's why there's very little dispute that the best books in the series are Small Gods and Night Watch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

The Josh Kirby art was a big turnoff for me too for the longest time, but I eventually learnt to ignore it. Paul Kirby taking over after Josh’s passing helped things a lot for me. But you can get all sorts of covers now, the publishers have gone full re-release crazy.

Yea, everyone being wizards wearing robes and pointy hats with stars on them or witches straight off halloween decorations. It worked in the game (the only Discworld media I've ever consumes) because 90s adventure games looked like that, but as a book, it makes it looks like its for kids.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've gotten the impression he's clever without the smugness. Like the parody and jokes is a bit more subtle, rather than going HEY LOOK MY MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME IS HIRO PROTAGONIST! DO YOU GET IT?ISN'T THAT CLEVER??? AREN'T I CLEVER????

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even in 1996 I didn't think Stephenson actually thought "Hiro Protagonist" was clever. It was a parody of Cyberpunk and while it's far from his best novel, it's also fairly clear none of it was particularly po-faced.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, everyone being wizards wearing robes and pointy hats with stars on them or witches straight off halloween decorations. It worked in the game (the only Discworld media I've ever consumes) because 90s adventure games looked like that, but as a book, it makes it looks like its for kids.
To be fair, and I really dislike those covers, but that is generally what they're described as wearing. Just not often.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

One of the first descriptions of Rincewind is the fact that his pointy hat has WIZZARD on it

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Snow Crash is brilliant but I can't stand the rest of Stephenson's work.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Laterite posted:

Diamond Age is good. Anathem is great imo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember giving up about halfway through Snow Crash during his librarian infodump chapter. He’s got at least one good idea on every page, but the man can’t write for toffee.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Laterite posted:

This opinion is super weird to me

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The_Doctor posted:

I remember giving up about halfway through Snow Crash during his librarian infodump chapter. He’s got at least one good idea on every page, but the man can’t write for toffee.

The infodump chapters are actually the best part of the book. He explores interesting themes and builds a very clever world, but his prose is garbage.

Amazon is doing a Snow Crash miniseries too, right? That one will probably end up being better than the novel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

Anathem and The Baroque Cycle are capital-L Literature to me and are totes amazing.

Snow Crash will likely be decent but drat I want a long series covering the whole Baroque Cycle, it would be soooooo dope

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah I liked both of those and Snow Crash.

Couldn't get into Cryptonomicon at all though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zodiac is good, in an 80s thriller sorta way.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I don't know how Michael Sheen does it. He has a gift for taking unpleasant characters and making them feel real and human. Aziraphael for example

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You find Aziraphale unpleasant?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

Nope, quite the opposite, Martin makes him very loveable. Taken as written, Aziraphale is an effete cowardly idiot and the TV show does stray that way a bit too much sometimes, but managed to pull it back.

Edit, embarrassed I misspelled Aziraphale

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 2, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

The_Doctor posted:

I liked Crowley more than Aziraphale when I read the books but liked Aziraphale way more in the show. Either I'm no longer an edgy teenager or Sheen did a fantastic job.

Possibly even both.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sloth Life posted:

I don't know how Michael Sheen does it. He has a gift for taking unpleasant characters and making them feel real and human. Aziraphael for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMkmhtPGuo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sadly, nobody's uploaded my favorite Wesley line: "There's only one Wesley Snipes in this world!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sadly, nobody's uploaded my favorite Wesley line: "There's only one Wesley Snipes in this world!"

That and no one knowing Tracy's age are my favorite 30 Rock gags

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That Michael Sheen and Sarah Silverman dated for awhile kind of boggles my mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Laterite posted:

That Michael Sheen and Sarah Silverman dated for awhile kind of boggles my mind.

:psyduck:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Please, won't you consider signing this petition to get this blasphemous program removed from Netflix?

https://twitter.com/BloggingStaten/status/1141392463422205952

A bit older news now but I didn't see it mentioned in the thread. Netflix UK and Ireland has responded.

https://twitter.com/NetflixUK/status/1141787587390201862

Also they appear to be making a Sandman TV-series, which could be anywhere between amazing and atrocious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Executive producers Gaiman and David Goyer, Showrunner the guy who wrote Wonder Woman and has a bunch of soap comedramas like Gilmore Girls and Grey's Anatomy to his name. I'm leaning towards "atrocious but will bamboozle the online crowd into thinking it's amazing".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Executive producers Gaiman and David Goyer, Showrunner the guy who wrote Wonder Woman and has a bunch of soap comedramas like Gilmore Girls and Grey's Anatomy to his name. I'm leaning towards "atrocious but will bamboozle the online crowd into thinking it's amazing".

It will either be atrocious or it won't be Sandman.

It will be weird if it gets as far as A Game of You, though. When that story was first published everyone raved about how progressive it was because it dealt sympathetically with trans issues and even had a trans artist - and it really was progressive, 1992 was a lot shittier in that regard. But in 2020 it's more likely to be pointed out that the trans character is explicitly told "gently caress you, the universe says you're a man because you were born that way" then gets fridged as an indirect result of the actions of her fellow tenants.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

By bringing it to Netflix, they can play with Lucifer as well, can’t they?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

By bringing it to Netflix, they can play with Lucifer as well, can’t they?

Lucifer is tainted forever now, I think.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It will either be atrocious or it won't be Sandman.

It will be weird if it gets as far as A Game of You, though. When that story was first published everyone raved about how progressive it was because it dealt sympathetically with trans issues and even had a trans artist - and it really was progressive, 1992 was a lot shittier in that regard. But in 2020 it's more likely to be pointed out that the trans character is explicitly told "gently caress you, the universe says you're a man because you were born that way" then gets fridged as an indirect result of the actions of her fellow tenants.

I think a TV adaptation might want to trim some of the less central stories anyhow, both to create a tighter narrative and to conserve budget. Dream barely showed up in A Game of You and the most important consequence (Dream starting and then ending a relationship and getting sad) happened offscreen
and could easily be replaced by any number of other reasons for him to mope.

Not that I'd expect them to do that, they'll probably plow right on ahead and translate it beat for beat as much as they can.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My Lovely Horse posted:

Goyer is also famous for saying he hates comic books but mostly works with their adaptions. I think he's a primary sufferer or Nolanitis (when you think that Nolan's Batmans are the alpha and omega of comic adaptions so everything must be realistic and grounded like they were). So with Gaiman there he can't go "Having him literally be the god of dreams is unbelievable, what if we made him a psychologist that studied dreams? No Neil, no Comic Book adaption has been successful by being true to the source material. No one would go see a movie with a guy wearing a star spangled suit."

And that's what I think happens when WB gets people to adapt DC stuff.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just finished watching this show, and it's loving perfect. I enjoyed the book since it was a tour de force of Gaiman's and Pratchett's strengths, but I enjoyed this even more. Sheen and Tennant are awesome, and the way they play off of each other is incredible. I know there are calls for a second season, but I'm really hoping they leave it at one season because I don't know how they can top it.

Laterite posted:

WAT

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, Sarah Silverman is older than she seems.

Also, still not nearly as odd as Joanna Newsom being married to Andy Samberg, or that time Cat Power dated a 20 year old model

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's just more that I'd never imagine them being together, not so much an age difference. It's like how Pete Davidson managed to date Kate Beckinsale for a while (although there IS an age difference there).

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's just more that I'd never imagine them being together, not so much an age difference. It's like how Pete Davidson managed to date Kate Beckinsale for a while (although there IS an age difference there).

or the guy from super troopers that are all the drugs being married to christina hendricks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is one of the grossest things I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is one of the grossest things I've ever read.

dudes got a massive hog