Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is one of the grossest things I've ever read.

:smug: you're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Sheen and his girlfriend have a kid on the way - he's 50, she's 25 and his existing daughter is 20. :raise: I know they're both adults and I hope it works out for them, and they're certainly in a position to give the kid a good upbringing, but...it's kind of a bugbear of mine that older men dating younger women is so normalized. Like men can stay attractive as they age, but women get stereotyped as stopping at 30 - you know, just old enough to not take any crap from anyone. Not as bad as Leo's revolving door of 22-year-olds, but still.

Goddamn Particle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Goddamn Particle posted:

Sheen and his girlfriend have a kid on the way - he's 50, she's 25 and his existing daughter is 20. :raise: I know they're both adults and I hope it works out for them, and they're certainly in a position to give the kid a good upbringing, but...it's kind of a bugbear of mine that older men dating younger women is so normalized. Like men can stay attractive as they age, but women stop at 30 - you know, just old enough to not take any crap from anyone. Not as bad as Leo's revolving door of 22-year-olds, but still.

Yeah. Look at this ugly piece of poo poo. https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTUvEmBVcu/

(I don’t disagree with the thrust of your argument, but, uh, I would rephrase some of it)

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Yikes, I just reread it and I see what you mean :doh:. Should have at least added /s, but I gave it a quick edit.
I meant the entertainment/beauty industries act as if women disappear at 30 (eg Maggie Gyllenhall being "too old" to be a love interest to a 50-year-old costar while in her mid 30s, or beauty products being heavily marked with an emphasis on appearing younger). In hindsight I have a REALLY bad habit of sarcastically stating bad beliefs when I'm talking about them, and should, uh, not.

Anyway, since that was a potential derail, here's some stuff I noticed on a rewatch

Ep 6 the kidnapping from the park scene:

The foreshadowing of the swap gets a lot of "I can't believe I didn't see that" comments in C&A's demeanor, but I just noticed that the entire team of angels and their truck go right by in the background of the shot when Crowley and Aziraphale are at the ice cream stand.

There's an overhead shot of Hastur, Dagon and a third unnamed demon posing as a family, just before we cut to the ambassadors on the bench. Dagon is disguised as a man and Hastur is disguised as a woman. I love the little reminders that angels and demons don't have fixed genders (ditto Gaiman's confirmation on Twitter that Crowley is presenting as a woman during the Crucifixion flashback).

Crowley and Aziraphale's conversation at the ice cream stand is mostly taken from the book, and they're reading each others' dialogue.

The ice cream seller just stands there when they get captured. No, I don't know why either.

Did they swap faces by possessing each other or did they shapeshift? Or something else entirely? If they shapeshifted, does that mean Crowley can change his eyes? It might be from Discworld rather than Good Omens, but IIRC changing something's eyes is really difficult in Pratchett stories. If it's possession, that negates Aziraphale's "probably explode" comment.

General:

The identical "disposable demon" characters (with the pointy hair and eyeliner). They're not killed by holy water, so are they permanently dead? Are they all the same character getting repeatedly discorporated and re-embodied? There would need to be some kind of time fuckery to get three of them at Meggido it they're all the same person though. Are they clones? And how likely is it that one or all of them invented YouTube makeup artist drama?

As far as my earlier whinge goes, one fantastic thing about Good Omens is that it doesn't have the kind of gender bullshittery that shows up a lot in genre fiction. E.g. War looking old enough to have seen a few battles. Or a total lack of the "sexual violence as shorthand for a really bad villain" cliche (I just put down SM Stirling's Dies The Fire for introducing a villain this way). Or the demons played by women being just as wonderfully revolting as the ones played by men (look at the Wraith in Stargate: Atlantis for how not to do this). Beelzebub and Dagon have my favorite character designs of the whole series, with the Disposable Demon as runner-up. They don't make a fuss about this stuff, it's just kind of there, not in a self-congratulatory way. 10/10 would turn into Best of Queen again.

Goddamn Particle fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 18, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I get your drift but the entertainment industry didn't cast Sheen's real-life girlfriend.

one hopes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured their body swap was more complex than the normal shape shifting they can do. So Crawley was able to change his eyes because he was directly using Az's body to shape shift into it, rather than doing it on his own.

Also I figure Crawley as the Nanny wasn't just him wearing a dress, but was an woman, with David Tennant's face.

Lastly, a friend of mine is self learning digital art and made this, and welp

https://twitter.com/michaelsheen/status/1150181234162753537

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Goddamn Particle posted:

Sheen and his girlfriend have a kid on the way - he's 50, she's 25 and his existing daughter is 20.

Sheen should bloody well know better. They've been together 5 loving minutes and she is expecting already? Jesus Christ, man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mini episode for the 30th anniversary of the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSXoj8Kob0

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

The_Doctor posted:

Mini episode for the 30th anniversary of the book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quSXoj8Kob0

Thank you for this

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

30th anniversary?!

Ugh..... I feel so old....

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that gave me a smile.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
S2 is pretty good so let's Lazuraii this thread

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Judging by the agonized response to S2 around the internets at large, I'm going to go ahead and guess that there are an awful lot of watchers who are not readers.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I forgot all about there even being a s2, guess I know what I'll be doing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It was a fun season, but I guess we're hoping for season 3?

e: poo poo, I don't know what to spoiler or not, so for everyone's sake, watch the season first!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 30, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
wow I can't believe [soiler]crowley is trans[/spoiler]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This fourth episode is wild.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Really enjoyed the new season. Casting was excellent - very happy that they reused Miranda Richardson. Also, Moray Hunter as a Calum Gilhooley-esque demon was great. And it was nice to have all of the League of Gentlemen (including the guy who played Jeremy Dyson in the movie) sharing the screen together again.

A couple of minor irritations:

1. Maggie and Nina - I'm sure this is just a "me" problem, but for some reason my immersion gets broken a bit whenever actors play characters with their real names.

2. The subtitling was a bit off in episodes 4 and 5, with names inconsistently spelt and quite a few lines just plain wrong (eg "80% proof" becoming "thank you for sending proof", "what's it about?" becoming "what's up babe?" and "you tend to see things in black and white" becoming "you don't just see things in black and white"). And a whole scene in French with no attempt to either transcribe or translate.

Overall I enjoyed it more than the first season (where I was already overfamiliar with the story, so anything that stuck to the book had me feeling "I already know this" and anything new had me feeling "this is different, I'm not sure whether I like it").

Rappaport posted:

It was a fun season, but I guess we're hoping for season 3?

e: poo poo, I don't know what to spoiler or not, so for everyone's sake, watch the season first!

I guess so - hopefully in less than 4 years :smith:.

1 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 30, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

1 posted:

A couple of minor irritations:

1. Maggie and Nina - I'm sure this is just a "me" problem, but for some reason my immersion gets broken a bit whenever actors play characters with their real names.

2. The subtitling was a bit off in episodes 4 and 5, with names inconsistently spelt and quite a few lines just plain wrong (eg "80% proof" becoming "thank you for sending proof", "what's it about?" becoming "what's up babe?" and "you tend to see things in black and white" becoming "you don't just see things in black and white"). And a whole scene in French with no attempt to either transcribe or translate.

Overall I enjoyed it more than the first season (where I was already overfamiliar with the story, so anything that stuck to the book had me feeling "I already know this" and anything new had me feeling "this is different, I'm not sure whether I like it").

I guess so - hopefully in less than 4 years :smith:.

I think I noticed complaint 2 too, but since this show doesn't have that much gunfire and things going boom, I kept the volume fairly loud and could at least hear the dialogue fully. And this is a me non-problem, but I managed to follow the French dialogue despite not speaking French! :eng101:

I had similar vibes about this season being 'fresh' rather than an adaptation. I did find most of the things in season 1 transferring the story a few decades funny, even though Crowley having a tape recorder answering machine was a bit cringe-worthy even if the gag was funny. In this season, I particularly liked continuing the Bentley gag by making the car 'alive' and following spoken orders from Aziraphale :3:

Season 2 ending stuff I wasn't sure how to feel about things getting romantic, but... OK I guess? The cliff-hanger is a well-done cliff-hanger at least. Now we'll just have to wait for Amazon's number-crunchers to decide whether there were enough streaming minutes to make a new one. I would assume this show is sort of expensive with an ensemble cast and a lot of make-up and effects.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Rappaport posted:

And this is a me non-problem, but I managed to follow the French dialogue despite not speaking French! :eng101:

That's actually cheers me up - I did French at school (and even read the French edition of Good Omens a while ago to brush up) so wasn't sure if it would be followable by a non-speaker.

Fun fact: that French edition has a quite impressive feat of translation - Crowley is renamed Rampa, which not only keeps the meaning ("rampa" more or less being "once crawled, but no longer crawls" in English) but also keeps the allusion to a famous "spiritual fraud" (shifting it from Aleister Crowley to Lobsang Rampa).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I've had to spend some time in French-speaking countries for work reasons, so I know stuff like thank yous and so on, but I've never studied the language and couldn't have even a pidgin conversation in it if you had a gun to my head. For someone completely unfamiliar the scene might be different?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Season 2 watchers - if I thought the stuff with the angel and the demon was entertaining and fun, but most everything outside them (the kids, scenes with a ton of narration, the book by the witch, etc) was kinda lackluster, am I gonna like this season or not? I saw a review or two that seemed negative, but I get the impression the reviewers wanted something very different than what I liked about s1.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Season 2 watchers - if I thought the stuff with the angel and the demon was entertaining and fun, but most everything outside them (the kids, scenes with a ton of narration, the book by the witch, etc) was kinda lackluster, am I gonna like this season or not? I saw a review or two that seemed negative, but I get the impression the reviewers wanted something very different than what I liked about s1.

Yes.

lot less voiceover, no kids, no witch book. No mortals from S1 appear except in flashbacks iirc

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

And yes it's gotten much more textually homosexual

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This season is mostly Crowley and Aziraphale having their own adventure with a large supporting cast.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Basically sums up my problem with season 1. Loved season 2, it really benefits from having the story centred on them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I enjoyed it a lot and yes I hope the wait for an inevitable season 3 isn’t as long. Also, more Gabriel and Beelzebub.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I still have the last 20 minutes to go because I'm a coward.

LOVED the interpretation of the Story of Job, Come back when you can make a whale!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

1 posted:

It's all over the episodes, one of the early ones has an interesting interpretation of "plenipotentiary".

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

tokin opposition posted:

Yes.

lot less voiceover, no kids, no witch book. No mortals from S1 appear except in flashbacks iirc

hell yeah

tokin opposition posted:

lol hell yeah

Rappaport posted:

This season is mostly Crowley and Aziraphale having their own adventure with a large supporting cast.

yesss

Lasca posted:

Basically sums up my problem with season 1. Loved season 2, it really benefits from having the story centred on them.

sold. thanks everyone

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's all over the episodes, one of the early ones has an interesting interpretation of "plenipotentiary".

It's very possible my brain just slid over the errors until they started jumping out at me halfway through! It would be nice if there was, I dunno, some sort of document which contained all the dialogue said in an episode that could be given to the subtitler to help them out with difficult words or unclear speech, but I guess that's just a crazy idea.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably in the minority here but I actually liked S1 better. S2 was still watchable but I just didn't feel like it had any real stakes. For the faults of S1, the device of "2 days til the end of the world", "1 day til the end of the world" etc worked for me especially given the style of the show. I just didn't buy into the Gabriel /Beelzebub story line and that twist just didn't feel earned at all. Part of it was I thought Hamm did such a good job in S1, and his rebooting-Janet act was ok but got kind of tiresome

The best episode for me was the zombie episode . The two humans were fine, a little weird to hang so much of the show on them but it was ok and it got a nice resolution. Of the two main new celestials, I loved Muriel, she pretty much stole every scene she was in. Shax was pretty forgettable, which I guess was kind of on purpose since she's demon middle management but I wish they had given her a little more menace.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just didn't buy into the Gabriel /Beelzebub story line and that twist just didn't feel earned at all. Part of it was I thought Hamm did such a good job in S1, and his rebooting-Janet act was ok but got kind of tiresome

I agree, I felt like the best parts of the second series were the vignettes of Aziraphale/Crowley throughout time and the overarching plot was kind of the least interesting part. I also remain perplexed as to why they didn't make this a period piece set in the 90s, it wasn't as glaring this season compared to the last but it still didn't feel necessary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tokin opposition posted:

Despite the fact that the original text explicitly states that angels are asexual. But the 'shippers are going to love it. It's going to remind them of every lovely fanfic they've written these last four years.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Season 2 ending stuff again I felt that both the Gabe-Belzie and Crowzaphale pairings weren't exactly earned by the rest of the show. Obviously Gabriel was a mystery box, but he was mostly used for gag humour for the entire season, and I did find Hamm's performance funny at least. The flash-backs (ugh sorry about the term) to Crowley and Aziraphale throughout history were good, but I guess since I was watching this through the lens of the book and season 1, it felt more like a buddy story rather than a romance denied. Maybe I'll look at it differently on a re-watch knowing the end goal? :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Still watching so not reading a thing, but there is no way the he's repeating on me joke was not 100% Pterry.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jedit posted:

Despite the fact that the original text explicitly states that angels are asexual. But the 'shippers are going to love it. It's going to remind them of every lovely fanfic they've written these last four years.

asexual and homoromantic, open your mind to new possibilities friend

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Fun second season, bring on more Demon on Angel action

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

1 posted:

It's very possible my brain just slid over the errors until they started jumping out at me halfway through! It would be nice if there was, I dunno, some sort of document which contained all the dialogue said in an episode that could be given to the subtitler to help them out with difficult words or unclear speech, but I guess that's just a crazy idea.

Yeah I mean, it's weird, in the first couple of episodes the subtitles seemed unusually good; there was one gag where Aziraphale was like "you have to say it capitalized" and the subtitles dutifully had the word capitalized, even before he said it. I was ready to say "these subtitles are great". And then that scene with the zombies saying "I guess that's dinner then" became "I've got enough oxygen" or something lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It was a good choice to have more Jon Hamm in this. Two eps in, seems like the season arc is gonna be about hot angel on demon action.

edit: and completely forsaking the children from the first season. The smaller cast is already helping substantially with the show's focus.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 7, 2023