Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

eating only apples posted:

I loved it in its entirety and the things I missed are so minor that they don't matter, but I was sad that one of my favourite scenes was changed quite a lot (at the end) - I always really loved the kids vanquishing the horsemen with their own homemade versions of their items, Brian with his stick and grass crown and Pepper with a sword of two bits of wood, so I'd have much preferred that than all three using the flaming sword. They could have still done the "I believe in..." bit with that too.

Yeah, I missed that too.

eating only apples posted:

But it's a minor quibble. Was also quite looking forward to Pigbog and the other bikers, and the octopus, but that's a pretty hard sell. I thought I'd seen that the bikers had been cast, so maybe they had to be cut for time?

This brings up an interesting netiquette point. Does one actually have to spoiler something that was excised from an adaptation? It's basically meaningless to people who have only seen the show (or plan to). It's really only a spoiler, and not much of that, for people who see the show and then go and read the book, and the book itself is twenty nine years old!

Oh well, it's not like it's a ton of effort to be sure I suppose. What made me curious about that specific omission is that they seemed to be setting up the "I never took him" gag with Elvis since you can see The King briefly in the hamburger joint....and then didn't follow up on it. I mean, why bother leaving Elvis in the earlier scene if you weren't going to use the newspaper setup ("one of these things was true") or the follow up with the trivia game? :shrug:

Anyway, I enjoyed the series quite a bit, even laughing at some of the jokes that I knew were coming, and enjoying quite a bit of the new material as well. As with any adaptation, there are things I'd have done differently because no adaptation is exactly like the one in your head after you read a book, but this one was as good as I could have hoped for.

Well done, I think Terry would have been proud. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU