Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm having so, so much fun already.

I've tried MonHun a ton of times and always bounce off due to the huge amount of systems at play.

So far I've tried all the weapons, understand what they do and am effective. I'll be spending some time and money on this game for sure.

Are the premium cosmetic items infinite use? I got the ninja outfit from the track and am scared to use it at an early level.

As far as I can tell, you only need transmog stones when mogging an item to look like a different crafted item. The premium skins are unlimited use and do not require stones.

Also, quick tip for newer folks, start interacting with the Middleman ASAP. You want to keep cells in the oven as much as possible to start getting a collection of +3s. Also, Aether Dust is not too hard to come by, so if he’s selling a good +3 or +2 cell, jump on it. You can dust your mountain of other, less useful cells to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh, yeah, important note: you either pay Platinum OR Aetherdust, not both. Three me off for a bit too

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
For repeater folks, do you prefer throwing buffs or mines? I feel like I only use them when they’re charged anyway, and it’s a little difficult to lure monsters into a properly active mine, so I’ve just been doing with buffs.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I like the mines, I feel like I get more use out of them overall, especially against more mobile stuff where much of the buff duration is often wasted closing distance. I also mostly toss them at point blank and usually don't worry too much about luring monsters in.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Reddit How To post on repeaters says to use the buff, and I think that's probably right. Just intuitively, it seems like the "15% attack speed boost for the entire party" is meant to be the group skill and "the skill that's your best (maybe only?) way to boop" is meant for solo play.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Huxley posted:

The Reddit How To post on repeaters says to use the buff, and I think that's probably right. Just intuitively, it seems like the "15% attack speed boost for the entire party" is meant to be the group skill and "the skill that's your best (maybe only?) way to boop" is meant for solo play.

If you go for a damage build, I don't think you need the interrupt, is the point I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7EFDT0R2I has a breakdown of them all, and then a build at the end that uses the buff for solo play.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I have been playing a bit since launch and have noticed the quality of parties has dropped sharply. I am only at gear level 300 or so, but I am consistently in groups where the other 3 are downed constantly (and usually quit out) and spike the danger level.

I’d prefer to hunt in groups but because of how the scaling works I am finding this very frustrating.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You're hitting the point in the game where you need to know how to play. If you get a little further you'll push past all the people that hit the wall.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord Wexia posted:

I have been playing a bit since launch and have noticed the quality of parties has dropped sharply. I am only at gear level 300 or so, but I am consistently in groups where the other 3 are downed constantly (and usually quit out) and spike the danger level.

I’d prefer to hunt in groups but because of how the scaling works I am finding this very frustrating.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

I'm around the same area and almost never get a full team but at least they are usually competent.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Anyone got any tips on the special hellion and pangar? Can’t stay in melee range of these stompy fucks for nothing!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you are on fire, roll to put it out. i beg of you

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HEL YALL YOU CAN CHARGE AXE ATTACKS WOW THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER

Also you can move wile charging heavy attacks but not light ones. Weird.

So far I think axes are my favorite. It has just the right mix. Staff is not far behind since the inherent wound damage is pretty nuts.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

So far I think axes are my favorite. It has just the right mix. Staff is not far behind since the inherent wound damage is pretty nuts.

Also: Charging an axe attack has every subsequent attack in that combo add a little bit to your Super Buff meter

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Anyone got any tips on the special hellion and pangar? Can’t stay in melee range of these stompy fucks for nothing!

For the Pangar, I say gently caress it and pull out the Repeaters. Being able to attack it from two steps back at a diagonal gives you much better evasion opportunities, and since it's so huge, the Full-Bore Chamber (which you get at +10 at Repeater Mastery 8) and its Penetrating Shot can do $Texas damage if you land the head-to-tail full-bodylength shot.

Also useful: Your ability to actually aim means you can periodically trim the Pangar's growing ice scales on its two spine ridges. If all of them frost over, it triggers Aether-Charged mode and it becomes a bit more unpleasant.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You can also hit the tail from further back than you might think.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Other Axe tips

The axe can string together lights and heavies in any order in its 3 hit combo.

The 1st and 3rd hits are chargeable.

Rolling attacks count as the 2nd hit.

After ending with a light attack you can keep pressing light to do more attacks that ramp up in speed and damage but drain stamina. Similar to wild swings on the switchaxe.

After ending with a heavy attack you can hit heavy again to instantly repeat your last swing with bonus damage. This includes a fully charged swing.

You get a bonus for perfectly timing the release of charge level 3.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing I noticed: Some of the weapon mods/specialties rather significantly change up the way you can use a weapon, and may make a weapon family click for you when the basic version didn't. For example, the War Pike has one that charges up the quality of your shots while they're in your magazine, which is a massive boon. Usually to get a high-charge shot you need to almost completely fill up a bar that drains rather quickly by itself (and any time you receive damage), which a lot of the more mobile behemoths simply will not let you do. Since that locks away your main way of booping (and just a fair bit of damage in general), that's kind of an issue. But with that mod you can just hit it once or twice with the heavy attack, load up a low-power shot from that, and then just keep attacking normally while the shot charges up to full power on its own. I've found that makes it drastically more usable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Inzombiac posted:

You can also hit the tail from further back than you might think.

Conversely, you have to be closer than you think to empower your reload with the repeaters.

Incidentally, if you're a repeater user, holy gently caress please read this:

- The red crosshair means you're close enough to shoot. The white crosshair means get closer to the monster, you weenie.
- Your Q and your right click are useless unless empowered. To empower your... powers, reload while you're right up on that monster. Do it every time. Do it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn I'm really in the groove with the axe. Even fast shitheads like Embermane get smacked!

I was kinda feeling the drag with this game and then switched to only doing hurts that help finish quests. Y'all should really do the same.

There's a lot that unlocks and cores to be had.

Also make the Drask axe. Yes it's elemental but it does +20% damage to a monsters head. Since that is where you should be anyway, there's no reason not to use it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I must kill fast and axe too slow. I think I like everything other than chain blades and axe, which is surprising. Normally slow stuff like the hammer doesn’t do it for me, but with the feedback giving clear numbers on how much stagger I’m doing, it’s easy to see what’s working and what isn’t. (What works is light light light heavy for three attacks and then a full juiced up superslam that recharges itself. :getin:)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Normally the chains would be my first pick but they've yet to click with me.

Maybe once I get more diverse gear I can make a full evasion set and really go ham.

I did a full hammer party yesterday and it was delicious. We were doing so much stagger damage that the (bullshit electric horned) monster could never stay on his feet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bogart posted:

Normally slow stuff like the hammer doesn’t do it for me, but with the feedback giving clear numbers on how much stagger I’m doing, it’s easy to see what’s working and what isn’t. (What works is light light light heavy for three attacks and then a full juiced up superslam that recharges itself. :getin:)

I like the little hop into a slam you can do from a run, feels real good to pull that off and chain it into the combo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Conversely, you have to be closer than you think to empower your reload with the repeaters.

Incidentally, if you're a repeater user, holy gently caress please read this:

- The red crosshair means you're close enough to shoot. The white crosshair means get closer to the monster, you weenie.
- Your Q and your right click are useless unless empowered. To empower your... powers, reload while you're right up on that monster. Do it every time. Do it.

The best mindset for repeaters is to imagine them not as pistols, but as pocket shotguns. You still have the luxury of engaging from a step or three behind the melee slayers, but you are effectively using an Extended Reach close quarters weapon, not a ranged weapon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks like they opened a third dye channel on armor!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Was wondering when they would do that. It's been marked under "completed" on their roadmap for a long time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/pnNfLJt.mp4
:feelsgood:

Goddamn, the alternate throw and lightweight haft for the axe are such an upgrade it's not even funny. The throw gives you a fairly reliable boop on demand and at range, and the lightweight haft actually makes you decently mobile and lets you get off full charges way more often.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Niiiice. I just got that throw and don't have the haft yet. It's so much better than the standard throw... until you miss and it goes off into the woods.

https://youtu.be/i7ZuIgBHVT0

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 8, 2019

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
I'm enjoying this because it's monster monster hunter with transmog. that was the one thing I wanted out of monster hunter that I never got. It seems like mostly everything in the store is cosmetic besides the supplies which are easy enough to make. Is the only thing to spend money on with any real value the elite hunt pass and level skip? Or the patrol chest boost? Is that even worth it?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So is this game Epic store exclusive for a year or permanently?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MH Knights posted:

So is this game Epic store exclusive for a year or permanently?

It's coming to Switch, at least. Not sure if it's coming to Steam but it's free so who cares.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I don't know if this is on every platform, but there's a starter pack on PSN for $5 that gives you enough plat for the battle pass

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I don't know if this is on every platform, but there's a starter pack on PSN for $5 that gives you enough plat for the battle pass

It's called the Timely Arrival pack because it gives you an arrival emote that makes you teleport to the island Terminator style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD-64QzizV4

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 8, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That emote's actually awful since half the time, the circle doesn't line up with the Hunter's animation so it doesn't look like they're being zapped in at all. Like, their body will be half in the circle, half out.

vv: :same:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 8, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah I'm not using that emote ever but I did throw them a fiver because it's a fun game

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ehh they'll fix it at some point I'm sure.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Kharabak's Claw (Terra Axe) unique ability: Last hit of a combo deals +200 Part Damage

The axe 5 hit light combo ends on an overhead swing that you can keep repeating for stamina.

All of these repeated swings count as the combo ender. :getin: :black101:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you are next to a monster and downed just get yourself up, you are jacking the danger meter like nuts. I’m feeling the “300 power people don’t know how to fuckin play” slump hard.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bogart posted:

If you are next to a monster and downed just get yourself up, you are jacking the danger meter like nuts. I’m feeling the “300 power people don’t know how to fuckin play” slump hard.

I'm getting people on dire Umbral hunts using umbral weapons and sometimes radiant armor.

IT'S NOT COMPLICATED.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm getting people on dire Umbral hunts using umbral weapons and sometimes radiant armor.

IT'S NOT COMPLICATED.

They have the big helpful graphic right there! On EVERY HUNT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I played this back in the open beta and I'm glad to see it's still going! I installed because why not, and it's had some pretty sweeping improvements. Had fun tooling around and slaying monsters and learning how the weapons work now. Are the little platform icons by people's names telling me they've got actual cross platform play going? If so that's pretty dope!