Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NeurosisHead posted:

I played this back in the open beta and I'm glad to see it's still going! I installed because why not, and it's had some pretty sweeping improvements. Had fun tooling around and slaying monsters and learning how the weapons work now. Are the little platform icons by people's names telling me they've got actual cross platform play going? If so that's pretty dope!

Yeah, cross-play is in and seamless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Archenteron posted:

I've started mix-and-matching my elemental armor sets based on look, their inherent perks, and, most importantly to me because I am A Bad: Having 2 Shield Core Slots between my armor and weapon. Two shield core slots means I can slot two Nine Lives cells (so anywhere from +2 to +6 of the perk depending on cell rank). Nine Lives is ok as-is, giving a percentage chance to halve incoming damage, but at +4 and higher, the first time you would die, you don't, and get healed to 400+ health.

I haven't properly tested/checked, but I think that it doesn't count as a downing for end-of-hunt reward bonuses, and I like having that extra safety cushion, especially as I'm getting bopped by the later dire behemoths

If you're gonna run 2 Defense slots, go with Iceborne. At 4+, you take reduced damage and gain life steal whenever you are below 50%. You can sit at 50% and gain the bonuses from Rage (damage when at 50% or below) and Frenzy (Attack speed below 50%), and if you do get hit you can't be 1shot due to Iceborne defense bonus, and then get health steal to top back up to 50%.

Easily the best defense cell in the game for any weapon or build.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Jandipoo posted:

If you're gonna run 2 Defense slots, go with Iceborne. At 4+, you take reduced damage and gain life steal whenever you are below 50%. You can sit at 50% and gain the bonuses from Rage (damage when at 50% or below) and Frenzy (Attack speed below 50%), and if you do get hit you can't be 1shot due to Iceborne defense bonus, and then get health steal to top back up to 50%.

Easily the best defense cell in the game for any weapon or build.

This has been my experience as well. The Boreus Sword also has a defense slot in it that makes it fairly easy to get to +4 iceborne

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Is there a guild or organized group for this? Had about a 20% success rate this weekend, half the team being downed 2-3 times in the first couple minutes of the fight, barely got to the second stage if we got that far.

Not that I am great since I am still learning but when I appear to be the best player in the group its going to be a rough time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No group yet but I play often enough I'd be happy to set one up.

Toss your names here and I'll get it going tonight.

I'm Toonces.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I'm CorvidaeVN.

Just started playing this a few days ago, just got to the special behemoths after drask. I've been having a lot of luck with the sword, but I've been trying out all the weapons. Axe is really difficult to use until I get used to positioning and movement patterns, same with the hammer. I just CAN'T hit those tiny heads consistently.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I'm imemnok in game.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just completed the 380 armor/380 weapon and kill (the one after Riftstalker) and the NPC gave me some speech about talking to a woman investigating the most powerful behemoths from the maelstrom, I hit ok, but there's no quest in my log or anyone to talk to. Is there something else I have to do first?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sailor Dave posted:

I'm CorvidaeVN.

Just started playing this a few days ago, just got to the special behemoths after drask. I've been having a lot of luck with the sword, but I've been trying out all the weapons. Axe is really difficult to use until I get used to positioning and movement patterns, same with the hammer. I just CAN'T hit those tiny heads consistently.

The first heavy swing for the axe is chargeable and you can move while charging it.

Nigulus Rex posted:

I just completed the 380 armor/380 weapon and kill (the one after Riftstalker) and the NPC gave me some speech about talking to a woman investigating the most powerful behemoths from the maelstrom, I hit ok, but there's no quest in my log or anyone to talk to. Is there something else I have to do first?

The gun guys side quest, I think. The npc you'll be looking for to activate will be right by the fashion man.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Maybe I'm still a bit early on, so pubs are pretty disorganized, but hammer seems really group-unfriendly. I struggle to land hits in solo as is, and having the aggro get randomly assigned to someone makes it too hard to line up staggers.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I like what they've done with this game, but it kind of makes me want to try Monster Hunter World. How do the two compare?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NeurosisHead posted:

I like what they've done with this game, but it kind of makes me want to try Monster Hunter World. How do the two compare?

MHW is sprawling, beautiful and confusing where this game is rough around the edges but accessible and super focused on what's fun. Dauntless feels like version 1.7 of monster hunting where MHW is the 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, for better or worse. MHW is excellent and also on sale for PS4 at the moment. I've seen it for $20 on steam here and there, it's a no-brainer at that price.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Where in the game are the mechanics for the various weapons meant to be explained? Like, I eventually worked out the axe stuff myself but other than the movelist I don't actually remember being told how the axe works.

Also: this game is pretty fun so far in the short amount of time I've played it. It's MonHun without the prepwork which probably kills it for some people but is entertaining enough for me as a F2P. Also it's nice that I can play it on my PC, then also go play it on my couch on PS4 when I feel like it. Town gets kinda frameratey but the battles are fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sailor Dave posted:

Maybe I'm still a bit early on, so pubs are pretty disorganized, but hammer seems really group-unfriendly. I struggle to land hits in solo as is, and having the aggro get randomly assigned to someone makes it too hard to line up staggers.

As you play, you'll notice the animation tells of the monsters. Then you'll star evading attacks by reflex and land shots *just* after their attacks.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Sailor Dave posted:

There’s definitely some behemoth fights that favor one weapon over another, too. This can obviously be rectified with skill/behemoth knowledge to an extent, though. I wouldn’t be caught dead fighting an Embermane variant without a hammer. Heroic Pangar/Hellion? I’d be spending the entire fight dead if I brought a hammer. But I am also very bad at this game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Test your hammer skills against that annoying Terra bug.
It's fast, it's invisible and it has wounding ranged attacks!

I hate it!
(But I love the weapons and armor)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Inzombiac posted:

Test your hammer skills against that annoying Terra bug.
It's fast, it's invisible and it has wounding ranged attacks!

I hate it!
(But I love the weapons and armor)

I tried that bug the other night with an axe and it was just loving embarrassing. No such problems with a pike and especially sword though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have no idea how to deal with the bug swarm. I think you're supposed to attack to get em off, but with repeaters, it seems like it just doesn't work. Still though, I'll take the bugs before the fucker who goes invincible and calls down its little friends you gotta kill to do chip down its armor.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bogart posted:

I have no idea how to deal with the bug swarm. I think you're supposed to attack to get em off, but with repeaters, it seems like it just doesn't work. Still though, I'll take the bugs before the fucker who goes invincible and calls down its little friends you gotta kill to do chip down its armor.

With the bug swarms you can attack multiple times to get rid of them, kind of like fire and rolling. Or a friendly can attack you once and get rid of them.

No one ever bothers attacking their allies, and everyone always charges when he comes down to start swarming. Then instead of doing damage, they end up sitting in a cloud of bugs being staggered and stuck with the status effect afterwards.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This game is really fun. Never played any of the monster hunters though. I really get the feeling I would have loved this game as a kid, and monster designs are great.

Invisibug is the worst though, there has to be some better way for it, although I found night maps make it a lot easier, or if you can get it with a wall behind.

Riftstalker owns, it took me a few time to figure out what it’s special attack was even doing, then I figured it out and thought it was cool.

Frost boss that summons dragons is the dumbest fight I’ve done so far though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Zenithe posted:

This game is really fun. Never played any of the monster hunters though. I really get the feeling I would have loved this game as a kid, and monster designs are great.

Invisibug is the worst though, there has to be some better way for it, although I found night maps make it a lot easier, or if you can get it with a wall behind.

Riftstalker owns, it took me a few time to figure out what it’s special attack was even doing, then I figured it out and thought it was cool.

If you're using a controller, L3 will realign your camera to face the behemoth. It's not quite lockon but it helps for invisibug, riftstalker, hellion

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zenithe posted:

I appreciate the idea behind the mechanic, but you're a little limited in what weapons will be effective for killing the dragons so that you can break the ice armor on the behemoth. Or just have a single competent gun user, and they can solo the entire thing.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just shoot them and let the melee guys absorb the orbs so they wail on the stupid thing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riftstalker kept murdering me all the time until my 4th hunt and something clicked.
Now I can stomp it and almost always get a no-hitter.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Wish I could hit that point with the Wasp monster. I apparently need to break his back claws for this pair of boots? It sucks, the openings are very short.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AngryBooch posted:

Wish I could hit that point with the Wasp monster. I apparently need to break his back claws for this pair of boots? It sucks, the openings are very short.

If you're ever having problems breaking a specific part, might I recommend: gun

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I played this game during the closed beta but quit when to play other stuff. Came back earlier this week and things are just better in every way including my boys, axe and hammer. My gear and quest situation is weird though because they retooled the hell out of the equipment, monster tiers, elements, and all that leaving some of my gear better than it should be and some way worse. I've done some catching up, but I'm still going through pretty much every quest and upgrade process to get my gear up to the top again.

In other words, I'm killing all the monsters again, and I wouldn't mind doing some lower level hunts with new ppl.

IG name: Elpato1

*Edit:

NeurosisHead posted:

I tried that bug the other night with an axe and it was just loving embarrassing. No such problems with a pike and especially sword though.

Get your axe mastery up until you can equip Grim Onslaught. When the bug sprints off to get some distance to either charge you or throw blades, chuck your axe at his face. In my experience you have a 50% chance to *boop* him as he does the flying charge. The distance the bug usually gets allows him to even chuck a round of blades before charging, and you'll still get your coin flip to boop him. If you've got teammates, they can go to town while you close the distance and pick up your axe.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 13, 2019

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I’m not sure if the most recent patch fixed this or not, but the parts you’re looking for are the Claw Shell Fragments and they are a monumental pain in the rear end to acquire. The best luck I had getting them was fighting him solo with a sword - his part health scaled down enough for me to finally get the breaks I needed. I probably did him 10-15 times prior with a group and never got a single fragment even though it’s listed as “common”. Luckily the boots are worth it as the conditioning perk they grant is very handy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think my biggest qualm with the game is that elemental weakness/resistance and also perks are huge components of armor. The game really seems to expect you to pick appropriate elemental weapons and armor, but the perks associated with the armor/weapons are not very consistent in terms of usefulness at all. I've got the Embermane armor that gives you a DPS boost when you dodge through attacks and I've just been wearing it to every fight because picking an armor set with worse perks doesn't seem worth it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're ever having problems breaking a specific part, might I recommend: gun

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I’m not sure if the most recent patch fixed this or not, but the parts you’re looking for are the Claw Shell Fragments and they are a monumental pain in the rear end to acquire. The best luck I had getting them was fighting him solo with a sword - his part health scaled down enough for me to finally get the breaks I needed. I probably did him 10-15 times prior with a group and never got a single fragment even though it’s listed as “common”. Luckily the boots are worth it as the conditioning perk they grant is very handy.

Yep, so I ran the Wasp like 6 times last night and got the Claw Shell Fragments. Still wasn't able to get them by actually breaking the rear claws, instead I found out that you get 1 claw shell fragment as a bonus for never being downed in the fight. So I just went in with Bulwark Potions and focused on never getting downed. Something I did by accident and noticed because every other time I was aggressively trying to break them claws and getting myself downed a couple times in the process.

At least I've got his patterns and attacks pretty much down at this point. Except when he goes transparent, that's still a pain in the rear end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everyone should know that if you can kill a monster before they get to phase two, you'll get double rewards.

It makes going back to the early monsters more tolerable because you'll vacuum up parts like crazy.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think my biggest qualm with the game is that elemental weakness/resistance and also perks are huge components of armor. The game really seems to expect you to pick appropriate elemental weapons and armor, but the perks associated with the armor/weapons are not very consistent in terms of usefulness at all. I've got the Embermane armor that gives you a DPS boost when you dodge through attacks and I've just been wearing it to every fight because picking an armor set with worse perks doesn't seem worth it

This is pretty much a non-issue in the mid-to-late game as you’ll either assemble a build with enough defense to ignore elemental weaknesses (Iceborne builds), or you’ll get good enough at avoiding damage entirely that you can go full glass-cannon. Either way, you’re assembling your gear based on the perks rather than the elemental defenses. The one caveat would be that if your build somehow involves armor exclusively for one element you’ll probably be soft against a single behemoth type. I haven’t seen many of these yet, though.

The weapons are a bit more flexible as it’s only one perk you have to account for. That said, some weapons are strong enough to use even on same-element behemoths (Hellion weapons in particular).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally my biggest annoyance with the armor system is that there are no set bonuses. That means really the smartest thing to do is to mix and match individual pieces for the best perks and socket types. But that would also mean running around like an uncoordinated hobo, and that just will not do. :colbert:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Personally my biggest annoyance with the armor system is that there are no set bonuses. That means really the smartest thing to do is to mix and match individual pieces for the best perks and socket types. But that would also mean running around like an uncoordinated hobo, and that just will not do. :colbert:

Isn't that what transmog is for?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Everyone should know that if you can kill a monster before they get to phase two, you'll get double rewards.

It makes going back to the early monsters more tolerable because you'll vacuum up parts like crazy.

I really dislike the part breaking mechanic and apparently this reward too. It doesn't make sense, the monster is dead, harvest all the loving parts!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I haven’t bought any armor other than the basic Gnasher set upgraded to +6 or so. The orbs are usually being spent on repeater upgrades; investing in a new piece of armor is gonna set me back hard.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bogart posted:

I haven’t bought any armor other than the basic Gnasher set upgraded to +6 or so. The orbs are usually being spent on repeater upgrades; investing in a new piece of armor is gonna set me back hard.

Yeah I can't really be assed to upgrade my armor that much when you can just dodge-roll through most attacks. Guns put you in significantly less danger even on top of that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Iirc every couple of plusses on a piece of armour also upgrades the trait it has, so upgrade for that at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fried Sushi posted:

Isn't that what transmog is for?

But in my heart I'd still know it doesn't match. :arghfist::spergin:

Also I don't wanna spend money on transmog orbs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AngryBooch posted:

I really dislike the part breaking mechanic and apparently this reward too. It doesn't make sense, the monster is dead, harvest all the loving parts!

I prefer it so you have to learn the break points and focus on parts you need.

It means I can't just sit and smash faces all day. Sometimes I gotta smash toes.

Good variety.