Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
so many bugs and on so many platforms. I think they are a overreaching a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ragedx posted:

so many bugs and on so many platforms. I think they are a overreaching a bit

I want them to reach juuuust a bit further so I can play on my Switch in bed. After that, bug squish away.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Audio bug is very frustrating but it seems to be less frequent than this week than last.

I'll send friend invites to the folks who shared nicks recently. I'm kalensc on there as well.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

New trial is touuuugh. Managed a win in 8m30sec or so with random teammates.

Pure survival/stagger build with my hammer: Iceborne, Tough, Nine Lives, Medic, Knockout King all at +6 with Conditioning and Warmth at +3. Revived teammates a total of 9-10~ times iirc. Never hit 0 hp to proc the bonus Nine Lives revive, so I may tinker to improve dps and try to sub 5min.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

kalensc posted:

New trial is touuuugh. Managed a win in 8m30sec or so with random teammates.

Pure survival/stagger build with my hammer: Iceborne, Tough, Nine Lives, Medic, Knockout King all at +6 with Conditioning and Warmth at +3. Revived teammates a total of 9-10~ times iirc. Never hit 0 hp to proc the bonus Nine Lives revive, so I may tinker to improve dps and try to sub 5min.

I tried it a few times with a random group and failed every time. The challenge is kinda fun

zazzix
Aug 29, 2012
Is there still a clan in this by the way? Looking to grab an invite whenever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

zazzix posted:

Is there still a clan in this by the way? Looking to grab an invite whenever.

Sorry, I have the clan but I'm not coming back to this game.

It got me back into Hunter games and since I already had GenU, I don't want to put up with the bullshit of this one.

I didn't see a way to transfer ownership but we weren't exactly linking up a lot to begin with.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Today's patch has brought a wealth of new performance issues for me but they also have attempted to make boreus fun by making it slightly smaller and nerfing the minions quite a bit.

Maybe I won't alt+F4 when I see them on the patrol now?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Aw I loved the Boreus minions, was one of the best fights to try new tactics and crowd control.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The boreus fight still sucks but the best part of this new patch is that sometimes the pre-hunt lobby will have people start the falling animation randomly.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Jeez, stayed away from the game a few weeks and it looks different already. Devs seem to be fixing it up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

I want them to reach juuuust a bit further so I can play on my Switch in bed. After that, bug squish away.

Well the last post in this thread was like 4 months ago (lmao) but this game just dropped for the switch.

It does not run that well which is a shame because the game seems pretty drat awesome.

Are there still goons playing it on the PC or Xbox?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

Well the last post in this thread was like 4 months ago (lmao) but this game just dropped for the switch.

It does not run that well which is a shame because the game seems pretty drat awesome.

Are there still goons playing it on the PC or Xbox?

I am playing it on the PC. The new Escalation mode is pretty great. I have yet to beat the new Behemoth at the end, though, because my pubs haven't been that great. The closest I've been so far is getting it down to 50% health. It was such a great run too. We had some pretty horrific dual behemoth fights that round. The Embermane + Shroud at the end was especially terrible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there still a guild setup? I loaded it up on the PC after playing it on the switch for a bit.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

Is there still a guild setup? I loaded it up on the PC after playing it on the switch for a bit.

I dunno. I was never in any goon guild. I didn't even know this thread existed until long after it was abandoned. I would just occasionally see posts about Dauntless in the Monster Hunter thread and it was usually people saying they liked MHW better and the forum search is also useless and would never return anything at all.

I've been playing since closed beta, though, and I can pretty much do all the content in the game (except Dauntless difficulty Trials as I just don't have the free time required to practice those to the point where you never get hit, which is practically a requirement).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Playing this game the last 2 days just makes me want proper MHW or some variant on the Switch even more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nalin posted:

I dunno. I was never in any goon guild. I didn't even know this thread existed until long after it was abandoned. I would just occasionally see posts about Dauntless in the Monster Hunter thread and it was usually people saying they liked MHW better and the forum search is also useless and would never return anything at all.

I've been playing since closed beta, though, and I can pretty much do all the content in the game (except Dauntless difficulty Trials as I just don't have the free time required to practice those to the point where you never get hit, which is practically a requirement).

Ok cool.

Is there like an open world part of the game like MHW? Like I know I just started but like some of these "hunts" have taken like 5 min just to get off the ground.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool.

Is there like an open world part of the game like MHW? Like I know I just started but like some of these "hunts" have taken like 5 min just to get off the ground.

There is not and I wish there was. Maybe in the future they might have something like that. The game already has some forms of hostile wildlife although they only exist in the Trials mode. The devs have said it is something they would like to work towards.

You have the pursuit/patrol hunts where you fight one monster. You have Trials where you fight one stupidly hard monster. Then you have Escalation where you fight a whole bunch of monsters in a row. Sometimes two at once.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nalin posted:

There is not and I wish there was. Maybe in the future they might have something like that. The game already has some forms of hostile wildlife although they only exist in the Trials mode. The devs have said it is something they would like to work towards.

You have the pursuit/patrol hunts where you fight one monster. You have Trials where you fight one stupidly hard monster. Then you have Escalation where you fight a whole bunch of monsters in a row. Sometimes two at once.

OK cool. I'll keep plugging away at it and see if it sticks.

I imagine that once it comes out for the phones (sometime in 2020) it would be a much better solution vs the switch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool.

I mean... the Switch has MonHun GenU and it's super good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I mean... the Switch has MonHun GenU and it's super good.

Yes it does and I own it but honestly I've owned like every MonHun game and the only one I've managed to stick with was MHW.

There are a lot of things about MH that rub me the wrong way that world fixes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it does and I own it but honestly I've owned like every MonHun game and the only one I've managed to stick with was MHW.

There are a lot of things about MH that rub me the wrong way that world fixes.

Did you ever try Prowler mode?
I hate the annoying pre-World stuff and Prowler let's you ignore it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Did you ever try Prowler mode?
I hate the annoying pre-World stuff and Prowler let's you ignore it.

I did not! Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

I did not! Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

Prowler is deceptively complex. When I first started I watched a 45 minute guide on it and came away kinda knowing what to do.

When in doubt, throw big barrels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Prowler is deceptively complex. When I first started I watched a 45 minute guide on it and came away kinda knowing what to do.

When in doubt, throw big barrels.

OK so since you said to go back and try MH I actually did! I’m giving it much more fair shot this time and I think it might be sticking.

One thing I do like about Dauntless is that the combat seems a bit more actiony? It feels closer to how MHW combat is.

One thing I really don’t like is how long it takes to get into a hunt and actually finish it though. Also the fact that there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot to do like in MH or MHW.

So thanks for the suggestion to go back and give MHGU a shot.

Also MH looks a lot better on the switch vs Dauntless. Dauntless just looks so muddy.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Nevermind. Im dumb.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

I am surprised this thread came back to life. Do we have a more active community or is it still just a few people?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ragedx posted:

I am surprised this thread came back to life. Do we have a more active community or is it still just a few people?

It's pretty bare these days. It got necroed because it's now on Switch and that version has some choppiness issues in town.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

It's pretty bare these days. It got necroed because it's now on Switch and that version has some choppiness issues in town.

I really want to like the game but it just makes me want to play MHW more. It’s ok on the switch but MH is better.

It’s not a bad game it just doesn’t grab me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Switch release and a really cool new gameplay mode.

Escalation puts you through a series of 4-5 back to back fights. Each fight can add Trials-type modifiers and fights 2 and 4 are dual Behemoth fights (some combinations are pretty much insta-fail with most pubbies). After each fight you roll a random power up, which can be things like giving all your teammates a shield when you use your lantern, upping your damage after every Behemoth kill, making potions give an auto bullwark buff, etc).

If you have a rating over 40 after fight #4, you can fight against a new Behemoth boss at fight #5 which is a crazy flying dragon. You can latch onto it and fly around hitting it and it is quite a difficult fight. He will grab a pub and chew on them a little bit before volleyball spiking them into your other pubs causing your entire team to die at once. You can craft legendary quality weapons by beating the boss a bunch of times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nalin posted:

He will grab a pub and chew on them a little bit before volleyball spiking them into your other pubs causing your entire team to die at once. You can craft legendary quality weapons by beating the boss a bunch of times.

These seem to be at opposite ends from one another.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These seem to be at opposite ends from one another.

Yeah... So far I've only been able to get to the boss twice and only beaten it once. Sometimes you'll encounter a Tempestborne Stormclaw and a Quillshot and your pubs will just ALT+F4 on the spot. Once my pubs encountered Kharabak and Koshai on fight #4 and just got their poo poo wrecked hard. It'll probably get better over time, though. You have to kill the boss around 10 or 11 times to get enough mats to make one of the legendary weapons.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Noticed Gnasher armor doesn't seem to be available on the Switch version.

I've pubbed and gotten up to Riftstalker, but I'm a little stuck on how to get my armor past 300. Right now, I've crafted a couple of sets up to +5. Is it just a matter of doing Pursuit quests to target the materials I'm missing for +6 and beyond?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Noticed Gnasher armor doesn't seem to be available on the Switch version.

I've pubbed and gotten up to Riftstalker, but I'm a little stuck on how to get my armor past 300. Right now, I've crafted a couple of sets up to +5. Is it just a matter of doing Pursuit quests to target the materials I'm missing for +6 and beyond?

Just follow the quest line. To get the +6 and +7 upgrades, you need to unlock Dire patrols. +8 through +10 needs materials from Heroic patrols (as well as Dire). +11 through +15 requires Heroic+ patrols.

You unlock the new patrols by doing the quest progression.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Am I missing something or are the monsters on cat/dog skeletons the worst thing to fight. The lighting dog (stormclaw?) is okay, but Embermane and Stalker are just the most insufferable assholes. Trying to interrupt them with an axe is brutal if you don't have your throw ready.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

d3lness posted:

Am I missing something or are the monsters on cat/dog skeletons the worst thing to fight. The lighting dog (stormclaw?) is okay, but Embermane and Stalker are just the most insufferable assholes. Trying to interrupt them with an axe is brutal if you don't have your throw ready.

Funny, most people have problems with Stormclaw. I'm guessing you aren't fighting the Dire/Heroic variants yet? The Riftstalker is definitely an annoying fight for newer people, but the Embermane shouldn't be too difficult with the axe.

You just have to remember that the axe's horizontal strike (RMB / Y) has a huge hitbox arc and it lingers for quite some time. You may have some troubles with interrupting Embermane's short dashes, but for his long dashes you can just hold RMB/Y to charge it up and then let it go right when the interrupt indicator pops up on his head.

This is the interrupt indicator:

I still find Riftstalker a little hard to boop myself, no matter which weapon I'm using.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I've fought Heroic Stormclaw and I'm a fan of the fight. His mechanics make sense to me and even his long range game of keep away comes with a mechanic to turn it off. I've started spamming my throw for interrupts and it helps. I've given up on using normal attacks for that. The single big damage throw you can unlock has been fantastic as well. The only thing I'm not sure of at this point is what lantern to run with axe. Does attack speed increase charge speed?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

d3lness posted:

Does attack speed increase charge speed?

It absolutely does. I like to run attack speed stuff with the axe as it makes it much easier to get the determination level up.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Been playing this a bunch with the GF, her on PC and me on PS4, with a friend joining in occasionally on switch. Picked it up mainly because it's a free game with cross-play, but we've really come to like it.

Finally managed to grind away for the Thrax sword and drat does +6 rage +6 wild frenzy with a discipline cell wreck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well since someone else bumped this:

They've added at least one new monster to the game and completely redone Ramsgate.

The UI has also received a pretty substantial overhaul as well.