Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm having so, so much fun already.

I've tried MonHun a ton of times and always bounce off due to the huge amount of systems at play.

So far I've tried all the weapons, understand what they do and am effective. I'll be spending some time and money on this game for sure.

Are the premium cosmetic items infinite use? I got the ninja outfit from the track and am scared to use it at an early level.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The hammer finally clicked with me and being able to poo poo down monsters routinely is soooooo satisfying.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord Wexia posted:

I have been playing a bit since launch and have noticed the quality of parties has dropped sharply. I am only at gear level 300 or so, but I am consistently in groups where the other 3 are downed constantly (and usually quit out) and spike the danger level.

I’d prefer to hunt in groups but because of how the scaling works I am finding this very frustrating.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

I'm around the same area and almost never get a full team but at least they are usually competent.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HEL YALL YOU CAN CHARGE AXE ATTACKS WOW THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER

Also you can move wile charging heavy attacks but not light ones. Weird.

So far I think axes are my favorite. It has just the right mix. Staff is not far behind since the inherent wound damage is pretty nuts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You can also hit the tail from further back than you might think.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn I'm really in the groove with the axe. Even fast shitheads like Embermane get smacked!

I was kinda feeling the drag with this game and then switched to only doing hurts that help finish quests. Y'all should really do the same.

There's a lot that unlocks and cores to be had.

Also make the Drask axe. Yes it's elemental but it does +20% damage to a monsters head. Since that is where you should be anyway, there's no reason not to use it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Normally the chains would be my first pick but they've yet to click with me.

Maybe once I get more diverse gear I can make a full evasion set and really go ham.

I did a full hammer party yesterday and it was delicious. We were doing so much stagger damage that the (bullshit electric horned) monster could never stay on his feet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks like they opened a third dye channel on armor!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Niiiice. I just got that throw and don't have the haft yet. It's so much better than the standard throw... until you miss and it goes off into the woods.

https://youtu.be/i7ZuIgBHVT0

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 8, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MH Knights posted:

So is this game Epic store exclusive for a year or permanently?

It's coming to Switch, at least. Not sure if it's coming to Steam but it's free so who cares.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bogart posted:

If you are next to a monster and downed just get yourself up, you are jacking the danger meter like nuts. I’m feeling the “300 power people don’t know how to fuckin play” slump hard.

I'm getting people on dire Umbral hunts using umbral weapons and sometimes radiant armor.

IT'S NOT COMPLICATED.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NeurosisHead posted:

I played this back in the open beta and I'm glad to see it's still going! I installed because why not, and it's had some pretty sweeping improvements. Had fun tooling around and slaying monsters and learning how the weapons work now. Are the little platform icons by people's names telling me they've got actual cross platform play going? If so that's pretty dope!

Yeah, cross-play is in and seamless.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No group yet but I play often enough I'd be happy to set one up.

Toss your names here and I'll get it going tonight.

I'm Toonces.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sailor Dave posted:

Maybe I'm still a bit early on, so pubs are pretty disorganized, but hammer seems really group-unfriendly. I struggle to land hits in solo as is, and having the aggro get randomly assigned to someone makes it too hard to line up staggers.

As you play, you'll notice the animation tells of the monsters. Then you'll star evading attacks by reflex and land shots *just* after their attacks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Test your hammer skills against that annoying Terra bug.
It's fast, it's invisible and it has wounding ranged attacks!

I hate it!
(But I love the weapons and armor)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riftstalker kept murdering me all the time until my 4th hunt and something clicked.
Now I can stomp it and almost always get a no-hitter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everyone should know that if you can kill a monster before they get to phase two, you'll get double rewards.

It makes going back to the early monsters more tolerable because you'll vacuum up parts like crazy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AngryBooch posted:

I really dislike the part breaking mechanic and apparently this reward too. It doesn't make sense, the monster is dead, harvest all the loving parts!

I prefer it so you have to learn the break points and focus on parts you need.

It means I can't just sit and smash faces all day. Sometimes I gotta smash toes.

Good variety.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really counting on us being able to cross-progress on Switch.
Or at least transfer progress once.
I hate gaming at my desk but the Switch... is perfect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nice.

I made a guild so gimme your names if you haven't already.

Just discovered that daily patrol chests roll over. I had six waiting. I figured I'd miss out.
Nice!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll get you two in an hour or so.

Nearly all permutations of Something Awful and Goon Squad were already taken.

So we are SOMETHINGAWFUL.

If someone comes up with a better name (not hard), we can pretty easily reform.

Edit: Bloodmane Embershithead can suck my rear end.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 15, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nah, none of the monsters have a ton of moves. They are kinda easy to suss out.

The pylons shoot ball lightning that can be hit back for massive damage. Gunners and chain blades can sweep them and make the whole thing a non issue.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No that's a different electrical boss with summons, I mean the one that makes a forcefield

Oh, the electric fence one?

When it starts laying them down, go after the SECOND one it placed.
The monster will try to make its final leap back to the first pylon and you probably will get smashed.

So long as you remove two pylons, it's a total non-threat.

He sucks but overall is fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Matazat posted:

How do I get past the +5 wall? I feel weak as gently caress fighting the Dire Patrol boys, but I need their mats to upgrade my gear any further. Plus all the randies I group with keep getting steamrolled, and nobody kills the shock quills. Argh.

Go and hunt the same one over and over until you learn it really well.
The difficulty of MonHun games is not getting gear, it's learning the moves.

Eventually you can no-hit monsters that used to stomp you.

It's chasing that feeling that keeps me going.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Julius CSAR posted:

I started to play this but it didn't seem fun because there was no "hunt" to it. I spawned in with a couple of other guys and they immediately ran right to the monster and started loving it up and the whole lasted like, five minutes tops. Is that typical? Can I play by myself?

You can solo, the monsters will scale.

The hunting aspect is light for sure but the arenas get larger as you go on.

One fun trick is that when the monster goes from phase 1 to 2, it will try to point itself towards its destination. It's not 100% reliable but keep a look out.

edit:
Invites sent to everyone. Let me know if I missed you.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 18, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay so, one one hand I hate hackers but on the other hand I love sometimes teaming up with people that can nuke monsters down in 5 seconds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I haven't experienced any noticeable lag except for the beginning of most missions where it goes, "Oh you want to play? Weird but okay."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turtlicious posted:

Does the Goon Guild have a discord?

No because there aren't enough of us to justify it.
There are other Goon discords around that we may be able to snag a channel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NickRoweFillea posted:

Add me on your platform of choice, NickRoweFillea across all systems. What’s the goon guild?

SOMETHING AWFUL
I'll invite you today, probably.

I haven't been playing a ton lately.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You have to be invited.

It's not a good system right now but I hope clan mechanics get fleshed out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does anyone want to take over the guild?

I don't have time to maintain it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

zazzix posted:

Is there still a clan in this by the way? Looking to grab an invite whenever.

Sorry, I have the clan but I'm not coming back to this game.

It got me back into Hunter games and since I already had GenU, I don't want to put up with the bullshit of this one.

I didn't see a way to transfer ownership but we weren't exactly linking up a lot to begin with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool.

Is there like an open world part of the game like MHW? Like I know I just started but like some of these "hunts" have taken like 5 min just to get off the ground.

I mean... the Switch has MonHun GenU and it's super good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it does and I own it but honestly I've owned like every MonHun game and the only one I've managed to stick with was MHW.

There are a lot of things about MH that rub me the wrong way that world fixes.

Did you ever try Prowler mode?
I hate the annoying pre-World stuff and Prowler let's you ignore it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MarcusSA posted:

I did not! Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the tip!

Prowler is deceptively complex. When I first started I watched a 45 minute guide on it and came away kinda knowing what to do.

When in doubt, throw big barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ragedx posted:

I am surprised this thread came back to life. Do we have a more active community or is it still just a few people?

It's pretty bare these days. It got necroed because it's now on Switch and that version has some choppiness issues in town.