Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Here's something neat in a randomized FE5: If a store sells Venin weapons, such as axes, they are available for much cheaper than the iron weapons they turn into when you trade them. :homebrew: Repeat until money is never a problem again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21998f-FocM

This almost makes up for Leif's highest growth being 15%. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

what is Thracia mode

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

marshmallow creep posted:

Here's something neat in a randomized FE5: If a store sells Venin weapons, such as axes, they are available for much cheaper than the iron weapons they turn into when you trade them. :homebrew: Repeat until money is never a problem again.

This almost makes up for Leif's highest growth being 15%. :shepspends:

I've found it, the perfect use for :signings:. I wonder why they behave like that when they're traded...

Nihilarian posted:

what is Thracia mode

In the FE8 self randomizer, if you put 776 anywhere in your seed's name, it changes the RNG so that it's the one-RN system that FE5 and the games before it used and also gives everyone Capture as a personal skill.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 4x: Asbel is a loving Lemming

Minus Green posted:

I've found it, the perfect use for :signings:. I wonder why they behave like that when they're traded...
For some reason, the game just doesn't want you to have access to poison weapons. Even the Venin, a long range poison tome, just turns into a Fenrir if you trade it (which is a good deal, since Fenrir is like, twice as strong).

Maybe it starts breaking the enemy AI, so they took a shortcut by just preventing you all access to it? Before release, we did a lot of playtesting to see if some text strings were used on not ("Poisoned" being one of them), and managed to find a way to poison enemies legitimately, with berserking. It still didn't seem to break anything though, so... I dunno.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Probably just to avoid killing bosses by poisoning them and stepping back

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am pretty sure it's just "poison is evil" like it was in games like DnD for a while.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Oh my god, Asbel :cripes: I don't think anyone would have blamed you for not bothering to keep him alive.

Also, drat Leif is buff as hell. Too bad his promotion is so late...

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
This one sucked and I'm tired. FE6 does that to a person.

Chapter 11: Magic-using Dancers? It's more likely than you think.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I've never understood why the Light Brand deals fixed damage before FE7. It's a shame, too, because those are some really solid stats it has.

Also that Elphin is really good, drat! Certainly makes up for all the other bullshit this chapter throws at you.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Chapter 5 is taking a while to go through and write down, so here's a wonderful highlight I got from another seed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LOiVKf8xM

Faillen Angel posted:

Sadly, Elphin has no eyesore pattern; he uses the default pattern for any promoted class, since, y'know, dancers don't promote.
Nope, that looks like his regular palette, which is pretty vanilla in the first place. Aside from pissing his pants, he doesn't look too bad, honestly.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 20, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nanna, that man threw himself on his devil axe for you; can you not muster even a single +1? Damned millennial.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miacis, perhaps you might know why, but for some reason all my armors count as being mounted for moving in doors. That can't be normal behavior, can it?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

34: The Incredible Hulkyle

Just imagine this screenshot repeated about a dozen times.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 5: Thievery

Miacis, perhaps you might know why, but for some reason all my armors count as being mounted for moving in doors. That can't be normal behavior, can it?

They're getting the same indoors terrain movement penalties as mounted units, is that it? That's... strange. I don't remember that happening in my previous seeds.

I'll pass it along to Shocktrooper. Do you remember what general settings you chose (not the specific values, just what boxes were checked)?

Miacis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 25, 2019

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Miacis posted:

They're getting the same indoors terrain movement penalties as mounted units, is that it? That's... strange. I don't remember that happening in my previous seeds.

I'll pass it along to Shocktrooper. Do you remember what general settings you chose (not the specific values, just what boxes were checked)?

That links to 4x, not 5. Guess some wires got crossed.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Darn those wires! It should be fixed now, good catch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So uh, will that last Rescue have consequences in the game? I haven't really played Thracia so I have no idea where this is going.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miacis posted:

I think it was these settings but upon reflection, I think the real problem likely has something to do with how I used the same seed with slightly different settings and saved to the same location with the same name, expecting a total overwrite. Instead of outright replacing the rom with the same name as I expected, it...merged them? An earlier save on the rom had the original settings (Leif was an axefighter in the old save while he was a mage in a new one). So it's possible that the unintended behavior comes from conflicting class IDs somehow existing in the same rom?

edit: I am confused; I removed the rom that I had randomized, and tried running the randomizer again with the same name, and somehow it still has those saves. I'm not clear how that's happening.

Maybe something is going on with my emulator because I can't imagine why I can delete the rom, randomize a fresh copy, and it has the same save data.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 26, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rom save files are usually procedural and stored based off of rom name. So if you randomize, play for a bit, save, randomize, then load again you wind up with a Frankenstein of your previously recruited characters and the new randomized recruits/enemies/maps.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you're playing on snes9x, the emulator stores all saves in its Saves folder, not actually in the same folder as the rom itself. This is different to how ZSNES or VBA does things. Which means if you have a rom of the same name as one you played earlier, the save data will still exist in that folder even if the contents of the rom are different.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thanks. I think that'll clear things up.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Huh. I got a Sethgoyle in the FE8 Self-Randomizer.

E: What the poo poo? This is obviously from a different seed:

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 27, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

E: What the poo poo? This is obviously from a different seed:

For some reason, that's something that was coded as part of the skills patch that the randomizer uses, and I have no idea why. Nice Personality is at least mildly funny, but that one comes off as creepy if anything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Minus Green posted:

For some reason, that's something that was coded as part of the skills patch that the randomizer uses, and I have no idea why. Nice Personality is at least mildly funny, but that one comes off as creepy if anything.

I suppose it helps that any unit can get it so it has the chance of unintentional comedy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gheb has nice thighs... :barf:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Mareeta having the Thief staff seems like a real dick move (though not as big a dick move as giving this chapter fog), assuming she doesn't have all the stolen stuff on her once she's recruited. Also:

quote:

This line makes Raydrik read like a Bond villain and I love it.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Speaking of FE8 seeds: What is the Easter egg seed and what does it do? I'm having no luck at all trying to look or up.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Sorites posted:

Speaking of FE8 seeds: What is the Easter egg seed and what does it do? I'm having no luck at all trying to look or up.

"Fir". It gives everyone the Fir portrait (including enemies) and makes them all Archers/Snipers. I guess it's an inside joke? :shrug:

e: oh and everyone gets Nice Thighs as a personal skill

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
BOY THREE HOUSES SURE IS A GOOD GAME THAT CAN DISTRACT A PERSON FOR LIKE A SOLID MONTH ISN'T IT

Well, we're draining the Augustrian swamp. The most dangerous man in the level is a sub-commander.

04 Chapter 2, Part 2 - Alec Breaks Reality, and Stealing Via Conflagration

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Huh, just noticed that the new translation patch is still using Raquesis despite the fact that as of Heroes she's back to being Lachesis again officially. What was the timeline on that?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Honestly, no idea. I just have a lot of difficulty moving past the names I "grew up" with.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Man I love FE5, and this randomizer looks like a good way to shake it up.

How do you get the randomizer to spit out a readme?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

You're clearly carefully removing the unwanted poison from the axes as you trade them over and performing a service the merchant finds that adds value. It's not cheating, it's participating in industry!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That version of the FE4 patch is from like 2014, I think, so it's the most recent but it's not technically "new," which is why it has the Awakening versions of names. Pretty sure there's an updated version meant to be coming out sometime in the near future.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Man I love FE5, and this randomizer looks like a good way to shake it up.

How do you get the randomizer to spit out a readme?

I started over to try and move past the weird bugs I had, and I encountered a new one.

This is start of Chapter 3. Not sure what happened. This was a fresh randomize and everyone else is at least who they're supposed to be. She only officially has ranks in fire magic, but can use both of those wands (presumably the class she has remembers what she can do even if the rest of the game forgets?). Everything in the blue is empty on her character screen.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 29, 2019

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
She's a Loptian Mage, she SHOULD have staff ranks since Loptian Mages just get to have attack magic and staves before promotion. Original FE5 couldn't make proper use of that since the mage was behind enough statistically that the ability to attack pre-promotion was more a curiousity than a benefit (and losing Sage promotion benefits doubled down on that).

My run has high potential with a slow start. Only 3 of the units are GOOD combat units, one of which doesn't have a weapon due to being a Lopto mage and getting nothing but staffs. On the other hand, starting with a Thief Staff, Hammerne, Paragon Sword, a Leaf-thief with Bargain and Nihil and 8 con kind of means this is going places.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lol trying to change her portrait back to Safy's with cheats just turned her into Reinhardt, name and all.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lol trying to change her portrait back to Safy's with cheats just turned her into Reinhardt, name and all.

So THAT'S how you recruit him.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Agh, all the spawning reinforcements in the jailbreak got changed from piddly soldiers into armor knights with Steel Lances and Javelins..... Guess it's time to spawn-block them because 2 archers, a cleric, and 1 axe unit CANT handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Quick update about Sacred Stones: Next post for it will actually be the last, as I'm also rolling Chapter 20 and the endgame into one post.

I like to imagine Ayra is somehow able to control her flames such that she burns all of the enemy except their wallet.

Keldulas posted:

Agh, all the spawning reinforcements in the jailbreak got changed from piddly soldiers into armor knights with Steel Lances and Javelins..... Guess it's time to spawn-block them because 2 archers, a cleric, and 1 axe unit CANT handle that.

:tif: