Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So THAT'S how you recruit him.

I tried reloading a safe state from before her recruitment to see if that might help Safiya reload correctly and somehow she became this:

At least her/his second screen isn't broken this time, so it doesn't go a black screen for several seconds when trying to load her status screen. But holy lol.

That 20 movement is a lie, by the way. Safi-hardt has infinite movement tiles, but can't actually move.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
You know, I've played around a lot with Thracia and cheats, and I have no idea how you managed to achieve such levels of rom corruption. :psyduck:

This is FE4 Binary's A Life without Deirdre levels of broken, but on a considerably more stable engine, somehow.

Keldulas posted:

Man I love FE5, and this randomizer looks like a good way to shake it up.

How do you get the randomizer to spit out a readme?
The newest version will create a "spoilers.txt" file once you randomize the rom.

---- Sneaky edit ----

Thracia 776 — Chapter 6: Escape from the City

Apologies for the slower updates, by the way. It's been a busy week, and uh, yeah, there's been a bit of drama on the translation patch's server. That didn't help.

Blaze Dragon posted:

So uh, will that last Rescue have consequences in the game? I haven't really played Thracia so I have no idea where this is going.

You get half of your answer at the start of this update. No consequences so far.
Long-term consequences, though? Maybe. I don't know, but I can't wait to find out when we get there! :v:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 31, 2019

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I would like to thank the thread and Minus Green in particular for making this post possible. I originally joined the forums for Cake Attack's Thracia 776 LP, so a Thracia-inspired romhack feels rather appropriate for my first LP.:v:

I present, the FE8 Self Randomizer Thracia 776 mode LP:

Update 1: At least heal staves can't miss in this LP.

Let me know if you guys have any feedback or questions.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Nice, I'm glad I could inspire someone else to show off Thracia mode! I can already see what you mean about the seed being good for showing off the mode, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store.
That early Bolting is :distonk: What are the stats on that like?

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Minus Green posted:

Nice, I'm glad I could inspire someone else to show off Thracia mode! I can already see what you mean about the seed being good for showing off the mode, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store.
That early Bolting is :distonk: What are the stats on that like?
Whoops, I thought I included that one. Here it is:

It's essentially a bit worse than regular Bolting across the board (normal Bolting has 12 might, 60 accuracy and 20 weight) but given that Bolting is mainly good for sniping an enemy with long range death it's still perfectly usable. Plus you can steal more if an enemy spawns with a siege tome.:getin:

Interestingly enough, it appears that certain randomizations are independent of each other. I changed the "random skills" setting to class+personal this playthrough to mix it up a bit, and all of the character growths, weapon stats, and even getting that Bolting tome as a Rapier replacement were all still the same.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Miacis posted:

The newest version will create a "spoilers.txt" file once you randomize the rom.

Thanks for that, it was a great help. Didn't notice the new file pop in.

I'm also really sad now because HOLY poo poo my scrolls suck.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Trip report: Alfred ends up a loot pinata if you have a method of stealing it from him. It looks like he always has a weapon he can use, and a weapon Olwen can use (even if it's not the mission he's rescuing her)

1st appearance: Pugi and Kingmaker
2nd appearance: Master Axe and Earth Sword
3rd appearance: Master Axe again and Marita's Sword

Unfortunately, he has 14 speed and my Thief has 14 speed, so he couldn't steal anything, and for some reason he's untargetable by the Thief Staff in his first appearance.

Bug: I haven't been able to transform Lara. It just hangs whenever I've tried (lost a nice set of levels due to that...) Pity, too, apparently she would've become a Baron with Dance (!!!).

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Bug: I haven't been able to transform Lara. It just hangs whenever I've tried (lost a nice set of levels due to that...) Pity, too, apparently she would've become a Baron with Dance (!!!).

drat, now I want an armored dancer class. Make it happen, IntSys :colbert:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 7: Flyover Chapter

(A lot of the pictures I post with my updates have been various shitposts, from team members or yours truly, made during the course of the translation patch. This one was Cirosan's first successful insertion of new text, which more or less meant we were good for the rest of the game. Just thought I'd point that out. I think it's kinda cool. :shobon: )

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Here lies Asbel, he never scored.

I also like that Eisenhau had a Torch staff and then also a regular Torch on hand. Gotta have a backup for when you get Silenced, I guess :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, are we never to know how rescuing Eyvel affected the game? Since you'll be getting 24x anyway, now, I mean.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:siren: 35: It Ends 2: End Harder :siren:

Thus my first-ever LP comes to a close. I have to admit I got somewhat burnt out on this, and ended up rushing through the last few chapters (in terms of actually playing them, not posting the updates :v:). I also have to say I really regret not randomizing event items (at the time I didn't really think about just how much was counted as event items), as I feel that would have made things much more interesting. I'm glad I stuck it out, though, and I hope you enjoyed reading my trip report through Self Randomizer-land.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 6, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Good job finishing up! That was a Very Kyle way to end it.

I'll admit i haven't kept up with this thread at all since 3H came out, but i've at least updated the op now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Great job! I enjoyed reading your playthrough of Low Defense Emblem. :v:

I wonder if the reason some of your units don't get skills is because the RNG rolls for a skill that they already have?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Great job! I enjoyed reading your playthrough of Low Defense Emblem. :v:

I wonder if the reason some of your units don't get skills is because the RNG rolls for a skill that they already have?

Thank you! :)

And that may be it, but it would have to specifically be skills they already learned by leveling up. I must have forgotten to call it out when it happened (though you can see it on his final stat screen), but Rennac ended up with a second copy of Smite, his personal skill, when he hit level 5.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 8: And Then There Were None

Minus Green posted:

Here lies Asbel, he never scored.

I also like that Eisenhau had a Torch staff and then also a regular Torch on hand. Gotta have a backup for when you get Silenced, I guess :v:
Gotta be prepared! You legit never know what the earlygame protagonists might have, with these randomizers. In another playthrough, I already had a Berserk staff by then.
Which I had stolen from Galzus with a Bow Armor Asvel. :allears:

Congrats on your first LP, btw! I'm still catching up, but it's been an enjoyable read so far. :)

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh, are we never to know how rescuing Eyvel affected the game? Since you'll be getting 24x anyway, now, I mean.
I don't actually know how or even if it did affect the game, honestly. The next we see of Eyvel is in 24x, so it'll probably have to wait until then. She didn't show up in ch6, and she isn't in the prep screen either, so... :shrug:

Alternatively, she might show up in Chapter 21x, the prison map, which would be pretty darn funny.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Grats on your first LP finished, Minus Green! It was tons of fun seeing you run through the randomizer, and I liked the Duo Kyle Ephraim run at the beginning. You have the makings of doing well in LP! ...but maybe a shorter game would be best so you don't get burned out as easily.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Congrats on the completed LP product, minus green!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm jealous of your bow armor spam because my seed keeps giving me pegasus bandits. Hello several maps where villages get destroyed first turn!

Related: Marita still spawns even if the house she's supposedly in is destroyed.

Grats on your first LP finish Minus Green.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Thank you, everyone! :)

Charlett posted:

Grats on your first LP finished, Minus Green! It was tons of fun seeing you run through the randomizer, and I liked the Duo Kyle Ephraim run at the beginning. You have the makings of doing well in LP! ...but maybe a shorter game would be best so you don't get burned out as easily.

For what it's worth, I think my burnout was more based on a feeling of not really knowing what to say for the last four or so chapters of the game, as even with the randomized characters it's still the exact same maps and stuff. That's why I was able to squeeze the last five maps into three updates. I do have another Fire Emblem romhack in mind for an LP, but it's one I haven't finished yet so that comes first! :v:

The crusader swears are honestly one of my favorite bits of writing in this translation so far.

Also that next chapter preview :magical:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
A thing that has always struck me about Thracia 776 is how oddly sophisticated the AI is at points. Not only do you have the example Miacis gives with Marty going to buy a weapon from the shop if he can, they'll also grab weapons from each other if there's another enemy on the map with a spare.

They don't attack on the same turn as trading for the weapon, so it's not quite player-level trading, but I still found it interesting.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Thracia 776 — Chapter 8x: Up All Night

Keldulas posted:

I'm jealous of your bow armor spam because my seed keeps giving me pegasus bandits. Hello several maps where villages get destroyed first turn!

Ooof, yeah, I can see how that'd be way worse. What's funny about me getting all those bow armors, is they were already a small in-joke on the PE server, so that's been pretty appropriate. I'll touch upon it a bit in chapter 11 since, like most Thracia jokes these days, it's related to Kempf.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Jesus christ Lithis :stare: No wonder they don't give you pirates in vanilla FE5.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I know I said I wouldn't be doing Creature Campaign, but I decided to check it out just to see for myself what the bonus characters became, and I already ran into something interesting. You know how Fomortiis dropped Ravager both times I defeated him? It turns out that not only does it stay in your inventory...

...other monster classes can equip it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well now you have a very strong spider you could use!

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Oh, that's kinda cool. I'm guessing that's the reason why they make him drop it is so that your monsters have a legendary weapon of their own. That's a nice gesture.

Thracia 776 — Chapter 9: Power Limiters

Miacis fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 14, 2019

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Miacis posted:

Oh, that's kinda cool. I'm guessing that's the reason why they make him drop it is so that your monsters have a legendary weapon of their own. That's a nice gesture.

Thracia 776 — Chapter 9: Power Limiters

Pretty sure that's just 8x again.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
My bad! It's fixed now.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Swole, flexing Leif will never not be funny to me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah you're coming along to the loot pinata part. Fred in particular is hilarious since he always seems to spawn with a weapon to use and a weapon Olwen can use. I lifted an earth sword, two master axes and a shadow sword off of him, it was ridiculous. (Plus a brave sword from Olwen herself).

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
Not got a full LP to share or anything, but I did get a hella fun Self Rando run for FE8, Eirika became God Zombie, horrid bases, but incredulously great growths, and an amazing Monster Weapon, also decent colors, human skin, blue hair, red pants, still a shambling horror

The real fun is Moulder THE BOULDER, he rolled Armor Knight with a kinda jank palette I wish I kept a shot of, I made him a General with this amazing palette, I love the burnished gold look on my Mech Knight of a murder machine

And then I Skill Scroll'd Capture onto him, which means Everyone Gets Evil Eyes And Other Cool Stuff

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

No good shitposts for this chapter, so here's this incredibly rude Olwen I had show up on a previous seed.

Thracia 776 — Chapter 10: From Hicks to Kings

Sorry this update took so long... it was a bit of a slog. Now that the thread is winding down a bit, I might give more savage editing cuts to the gameplay commentary to the next few chapters. I'm not sure going in detail on the maneuvers I take is all that interesting, so I'll probably stick to talking about cool stuff you normally wouldn't be able to do on a normal playthrough.

As someone who's spent a large amount of time tuning up nice custom palettes (for older randomizers that didn't adapt them automatically), I am really impressed by how these automatic palettes are looking. That's a sick-looking Moulder, and he sounds like a blast to play. :allears:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 24, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

The FFTA reference was pretty apt; Olwen and Alfred getting their stuff jacked reminded me of how in the LP on the Archive for that game, the big scary solo encounter with Llednar was immediately neutered by Marche stealing all his poo poo. :v:

I can't wait to see Ronan's promoted sprite, I hope it looks as good as it does right now :allears:

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019

Miacis posted:

As someone who's spent a large amount of time tuning up nice custom palettes (for older randomizers that didn't adapt them automatically), I am really impressed by how these automatic palettes are looking. That's a sick-looking Moulder, and he sounds like a blast to play. :allears:

He was, and then I got Unkillable Super Fomorttis and just hit the Cheat Button on that thing, I couldn't use my Evil Eyes on him, nor Eirika's S Rank Dark Magic(he forces Animations, thus crashing anyone using something they lack an animation for), he had disgusting stats, and for some reason, even if I could have used my amazingly strong Gleipnirs on him, they uhh... somehow were both Not Extra Effective, and Not Doing Enough Damage To Even Harm Him, despite my Attack surpassing his Res before Effectiveness(Eirika had like, 63 Atk, Gleipnir was GOOD)

Oh yeah and his regular Summons? Now its a mix of extremely high power promoted humans, and 100+ HP Dracozombies

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the s rank dark tome doesn't do extra damage to monsters like the other s rank weapons do, fyi

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

lmao can that Fomo double your guys?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Okay let's actually update this.

Chapters 12+12x: Did someone say Axe?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I was about to say that Barth looks like he could be decent, what with the 104% strength growth... and then I looked at his stats again and realized he's level 12 with 6 strength :eng99:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But he DOES look like a Lego man. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FoolyCharged posted:

But he DOES look like a Lego man. Just saying.

Racist