Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

What's better than double bards? Oh baby a triple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I don't think having a third Bard is really any use.

If I get a second Heron I'll be able to generate infinite turns for my whole army because they can AoE chant. But GBA bards can only really loop each other.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Sorites posted:

If I get a second Heron I'll be able to generate infinite turns for my whole army because they can AoE chant. But GBA bards can only really loop each other.

there's one other thing they can do

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Hello again, folks! It's time for things to get...well, frankly, a little concerning. For all kinds of logistical reasons, this has to be our last solo-Ike chapter.

Path of Randomness, Episode 2: Feathers and Fur

I've recorded Chapter 3 now; trust me, things are about to get wild.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

:siren: AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION :siren:

Path of Radiance is only so well-suited to being randomized in this way. Your cast of characters is relatively smaller at first, but steadily becomes huge. It's going to be far too easy for me, even on Hard Mode, to cherry-pick a handful of blessed units and steamroll the game.

Without enemy randomization, this might not be interesting enough on its own.

So I'm going to impose at least two additional challenges:

1: Forced Contribution

Every deployed unit must gain a kill, if to do so would be mechanically possible. If this means I have to Master Seal Oscar and turbo-Forge an Iron Sword so he can chip away a Priest, then that's what happens.

2: Vindictive Deployment

Once I unlock the base menu and can start deploying characters as I see fit, I will end each update with a deployment vote. You'll get to choose half my squad, rounded up, and I actively encourage you to try and screw me over.

Rule 1 applies effective immediately. Rule 2 kicks in at the start of Chapter 8, and will apply to the rest of the game going forward.

:siren: If anyone has ideas for additional challenge rules, please let me know! I'm looking for more because this game is relatively easy even without impossible God-units (a list which right now includes Ike, Rhys, and Boyd for various reasons). :siren:

Sorites fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 3, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I can't believe you've resisted pointing out that a guy named Boyd is turning into a heron.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

:psyduck: What happened to Shinon's sprite? And how did he get un-promoted...?

As for the challenge rules, maybe one of them could be, in addition to the vindictive deployment, that you can only field one "God-unit" per map, besides Ike (if we get to a point where that won't completely screw you over).

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

05: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

Oh hey, they even added in the ballista animations from FE6! That's a nice touch.

This is actually vanilla.

Time for my seemingly daily "I know too drat much about this series" moment:

If a female Archer or either Sniper uses a ballista with the animations on in vanilla, the game hangs. Male Archers will use the ballista animation properly, but uh...

Guess what you don't get in vanilla FE8?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Minus Green posted:

As for the challenge rules, maybe one of them could be, in addition to the vindictive deployment, that you can only field one "God-unit" per map, besides Ike (if we get to a point where that won't completely screw you over).

I have no idea what's going on with Shinon. You'd think that even if he somehow rolled Archer he'd just be Rolf.

Does anyone remember if there are ballista archers (not Snipers) anywhere in FE9's late game, in any of the difficulty modes? If so, that would mean there's an enemy-only Archer class which they flagged as Promoted for exp purposes.

I'm thinking especially of the bridge and hill maps. Maybe those catapults are staffed by special Archers in the late game on, say, Easy mode.

None of this goes any way to explaining why he's Level 18. And I'll be fascinated to see whether he promotes and, if so, into what.

---

Separately, I like your deployment limit idea.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Minus Green posted:

I was just as confused about the placeholder model (especially since Archer isn't an enemy-exclusive class, which could cause that I believe) but I didn't realize at all that he indeed somehow lost his promotion, which if I understand correctly should not happen with this randomizer.

The only explanation I can find is that a tier 2 Archer exists in the game's data, unused, for some reason, and the randomizer does not put a limit on what classes it can pull.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Minus Green posted:

I have a different, if similar, idea: if you want a god unit with you from outside the vote, you have to also drag along your worst un-brought unit. Further, for every kill the god unit gets, you have to feed one to the straggler. Basically, god units take up two deployment slots and all their kills require hanger-on kills too.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

This is actually vanilla.

Time for my seemingly daily "I know too drat much about this series" moment:

If a female Archer or either Sniper uses a ballista with the animations on in vanilla, the game hangs. Male Archers will use the ballista animation properly, but uh...

Guess what you don't get in vanilla FE8?

Huh. Is that why ballistas default to not showing animations when anyone uses them? I don't remember ever running into that when I played vanilla Sacred Stones, but this was years ago, so I may just be misremembering.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serra as Hector looks so good.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Right. When using Ballistae on the map, animations are off as normal, but using them as normal weapons causes crashes.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always thought Serra looked like Sailor Moon so now I think we need a Sailor Moon reboot where she wields an axe instead of a tiara/sickle-wand/a scepter/ a stronger scepter/ a kaleidoscope/a stronger scepter/a stronger scepter with a cup on it

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always thought Serra looked like Sailor Moon so now I think we need a Sailor Moon reboot where she wields an axe instead of a tiara/sickle-wand/a scepter/ a stronger scepter/ a kaleidoscope/a stronger scepter/a stronger scepter with a cup on it

"In the name of the Moon, I WILL SMITE YOU :black101:"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was just as confused about the placeholder model (especially since Archer isn't an enemy-exclusive class, which could cause that I believe) but I didn't realize at all that he indeed somehow lost his promotion, which if I understand correctly should not happen with this randomizer.

The only explanation I can find is that a tier 2 Archer exists in the game's data, unused, for some reason, and the randomizer does not put a limit on what classes it can pull.

I'm more interested in the flying movement. A flying archer? Or is he just being carried at that moment?

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Oh, no. That's just the interface; Effect Flying means his current equipped weapon is effective against flyers.

However, he does have 8 Movement due to Celerity.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Minus Green posted:

"In the name of the Moon, I WILL SMITE YOU :black101:"

From the last romhack thread vilkacis was in! So many beautiful things.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sorites posted:

It means I can give someone four actions per turn! Imagine that, I could heal four people at once! You know, if I had a healer.

Also Rhys is the prettiest catgirl :allears:

:monocle: That is a nice sprite, and nice stats too!

quote:

Seriously, Garcia has weapon triangle disadvantage but he's way more likely to hit with an axe than most of these enemies are with a sword.

That's because Garcia is actually very good. :colbert:

(well also the randomizer but mostly just Garcia being very good)

Still enjoying Moulder the meatball-der.

marshmallow creep posted:

Serra as Hector looks so good.

She does! And is also amazing for all sorts of other reasons!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd watch it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

19: Ninian's Bizarre Re-recruitment

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I decided to start the FE8 randomizer too. Highlights so far:

-Eirika is a peg knight who should turn out good in the long run but is probably my first candidate for an energy ring because of her low base strength and lowish growth and the fact that the iron lance, while being basically the weapon with the most Hit so far only has 4 Mt.
-Seth is still a Paladin but I'm taking that as a blessing rather than a disappointment because he's a little bit stronger than his usual bases, has two weapon types, high move and has Capture as a skill, meaning I can just empty enemy inventories with him because he actually has the stats to defeat things with Capture's penalties.
-Franz is a spider with a speed growth of 65% which is good because he'll need it to use the Sharp Claw I stole off a spider in chapter 3. Speaking of...
-The Sharp Claw has 18 Mt, 61 Hit, but 18 Weight. In comparison the Poison Claw he started with only has 5 Mt and 51 Hit but he's not weighed down. So basically the sharp claw is a nuke option but does weigh him down by 6, into the negatives
-Gilliam is an Eirika Lord with a disgusting palette but came with basically standard myrmidon states including double digit skill and speed bases. Except he also has 50% strength growth, 110% HP growth and average-high growths everywhere else. Also Armored Blow for +10 Def when initiating battles and Full Metal Body to be immune to all Seal X skills. He also came with a Light Brand and we stole another one from an enemy, along with a Killing Edge, an Armorslayer and more. He's gonna stay to endgame, i have a feeling.
-Moulder and Garcia are both Soldiers, and I'm gonna dump Moulder soon because he has low everything bases and no growth goes over 40% other than HP which is 65%. He's got a growth total of only 225%. Too bad, he actually has good Con. Garcia on the other hand has a 65% strength growth and a personal skill that doubles your crit total, AND came with a Killer Lance so he's hitting 80 crit already. Unfortunately basically every weapon that isn't an Iron Lance has a hit rate below 65 so he hasn't been able to get as many hits or crits as I'd like.
-Ross is a Monk with permanent devil effect for both him and enemies attacking him. So every single attack made by or against him has to roll for triggering the devil effect. This is already hilarious because enemies have basically no luck so they're very often rolling the effect against themselves. But it is a bit crap to have am otherwise really solid unit with decent bases and growths tainted by a permanent devil effect. I'll probably still use him because he came with A rank light magic and an a Aura tome that has high might, hit and crit, but yeah. Hoo boy.
-Vanessa is a Pupil with great potential in her offensive growths but i won't be using her because her personal skill ruins her. It's called Fury and it gives her a permanent +2 bonus to strength, speed, defense and resistance, but at the cost of her taking 6 damage to herself every battle, 9 if she doubles. She only has 16 HP. I basically can't use her without dropping her to half health and I don't have a healer or access to a shop with vulneraries yet. Very sad.
-That's okay though because Colm is a Mage and has no real downsides other than being less potentially strong than Vanessa. But he has Rally Spectrum so he has utility.
-Neimi is the thief now and has growths comparable to Chad from FE6. I'll probably use her.
-I'm starting Chapter 4 now and Artur showed up and heck yeah I'm gonna use him. He's a Gargoyle with a few shaky growths but he came with 11 Strength, 13 Speed and 9 Defense at base. 16 HP is troubling but i think I'll toss the second Angelic Robe I picked up onto him to give him a better start. Plus I mean, another flier is never a bad thing.
-Haven't seen what Lute is yet, hopefully an Archer or Healer please, thank you.

It's been fun but man Chapter 2 was a rough time because all the brigands got turned into wyverns. But next chapter Bazba and all got turned into Dancers so that was funny. Also the Dancers in my run don't have Wary Fighter and can double appropriately? Maybe it got an update in the few days since the LP started.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Turns out having access to a bunch of axe class in a randomizer kinda sucks! At least Sacred Stones lets you get weird poo poo like eyeballs to help out.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It'll be fine, vilk, it's an axe user with con! Those are a novelty in your team, last I checked.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jaffar and Wallace understand, it's better to be lucky than good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

-Ross is a Monk with permanent devil effect for both him and enemies attacking him.

how

I mean a lot of that is absolutely silly but just. :psyduck:

Materant posted:

It'll be fine, vilk, it's an axe user with con! Those are a novelty in your team, last I checked.

Yes. This is correct. So on top of being terrible, he's going to get bullied by the other axe units for sticking out.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ah yes, the "Stop Hitting Yourself" skill.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

FPzero posted:

-Ross is a Monk with permanent devil effect for both him and enemies attacking him. So every single attack made by or against him has to roll for triggering the devil effect. This is already hilarious because enemies have basically no luck so they're very often rolling the effect against themselves. But it is a bit crap to have am otherwise really solid unit with decent bases and growths tainted by a permanent devil effect. I'll probably still use him because he came with A rank light magic and an a Aura tome that has high might, hit and crit, but yeah. Hoo boy.

I've never even played FE8, but now I want my first runthrough to use this randomizer. What the gently caress.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I have no idea how to react to this Ross either. Please tell me you're recording video or taking screenshots, FP, some kind of evidence you can report in this thread?

It's even better that the permanent Devil effect is on a Monk of all things. Well done, game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm playing on my phone so I haven't really taken any screens. Might be able to in the future though. Trust me when I say it's very silly.

Also I discovered that the prep screen shop sells "Amnesia Scrolls" which allow you to remove skills from units. I might use that to remove Vanessa's bad personal skill but part of me says "no this is what you were dealt, you have to live with it".

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

It's been fun but man Chapter 2 was a rough time because all the brigands got turned into wyverns. But next chapter Bazba and all got turned into Dancers so that was funny. Also the Dancers in my run don't have Wary Fighter and can double appropriately? Maybe it got an update in the few days since the LP started.

I went back to the Serenes Forest thread, and I think I downloaded the randomizer less than a day before its latest update. :doh: Looking at the changelog, there's some things I've missed and want to show off, like Thracia 776 Mode, so I might try to cobble together a bonus update or something assuming the update won't break my run.

I know in the vanilla game, there's a glitch where Tethys (or anyone, really) can learn dark magic and it caused a crash with her specifically if you had animations on, so I had believed them getting Wary Fighter was meant as a band-aid for that crash.

Glad you're enjoying it so far, though! That perma-Devil effect sounds hilarious and I kind of hope I run into that one.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I forgot I'm playing on Casual mode so I might just treat Ross deviling himself as a "the kid got overwhelmed and needs to go lie down for a bit" when it keeps happening.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Minus Green posted:

I know in the vanilla game, there's a glitch where Tethys (or anyone, really) can learn dark magic and it caused a crash with her specifically if you had animations on, so I had believed them getting Wary Fighter was meant as a band-aid for that crash.

It is, but there's nothing special about dancer animations, so you can just edit them and add the command that every other animation has that properly ends their turn and they should be able to double no problem.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

No mere randomizer can stop Hector from being the coolest and the strongest!

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Trying out the FE8 randomizer as well, played up to the start of chapter 5. Casual mode as well so I don't hate myself too badly.

-Started out with a bard Eirika and sniper Seth. Got a monk with a 14-might Aura on the prologue map, which I had to bait him into breaking on Seth (who thankfully rolled a buttload of Res) to keep him from two-shotting Eirika.
-Cavalier Gilliam is pretty drat good. Shaman Franz? 10 HP and 0 Defense. :gonk:
-Archer Vanessa and Peg Knight Moulder are adequate. Quite the eye-searing palette on Vanessa, though.
-Pirate Garcia with Seal Attack and Sol? Owns. Mage Ross is no slouch himself thanks to a strong Elfire tome.
-A pair of villages gave me Vidofnir and Naglfar :stare: I'll either have to use Franz or hope for a better dark magic user.
-Wyvern Rider Neimi with the same Devil effect as FP's Ross. Colm's still a thief.
-I ended up getting quite a lot of gold from a combination of gems and chests in chapter 3, so I fed Franz an angelic robe and dragon shield so he wouldn't be quite as much of a glass cannon.
-Artur is... well...

Yeah. Those skills are +6 speed when an enemy attacks him and +4 damage when he attacks first.
-Lute is now a doggy. :3:
-Neimi's devil skill procced twice against the chapter 4 boss. Once reflecting his damage, and the next turn reflecting hers and dying to the counterattack.
-Natasha is a Tarvos with Vantage+, which means she's always going to attack first AND negate crits.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Well that's not very nice, game.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Started my own FE8Random run and wanted to show the Seth it gave me.

Am I linking this right?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Weeble posted:

Started my own FE8Random run and wanted to show the Seth it gave me.

Am I linking this right?

Yeah, I see it. Looks like his Skill is the only thing really good about his bases, but the 80% strength and 105% HP are standouts, and his 45% speed is fine. His defences are eh, but may turn out okay with good rolls. What are his skills? I don't recognize the icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Lifetaker: Regain up to 25% Hp when he attacks and defeats a foe.

Shove

Rally Strength

Sturdy Stance: +4 Attack and Defense when a foe initiates battle.