Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think moving all this to its own thread was the right decision because there's tons of good FE content and people can have fun talking about it without affecting others. That PoR randomizer looks pretty funny. :allears:

Also vilk, I think you should give Guy the Body Ring because he's your main lord and being able to double more or even just be doubled less would be good overall. And he won't get his promo for a long time (unless the randomizer changes that) so he won't get his Con boost from promoting until near endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actual Heath only shows up early in this Hector-mode exclusive chapter, otherwise you get him before you go to the desert but after retreating from Death Isle.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I bet his first healer comes as a promotion he has to do himself. I remember the same thing happening to me when I did a randomized run years ago.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I decided to start the FE8 randomizer too. Highlights so far:

-Eirika is a peg knight who should turn out good in the long run but is probably my first candidate for an energy ring because of her low base strength and lowish growth and the fact that the iron lance, while being basically the weapon with the most Hit so far only has 4 Mt.
-Seth is still a Paladin but I'm taking that as a blessing rather than a disappointment because he's a little bit stronger than his usual bases, has two weapon types, high move and has Capture as a skill, meaning I can just empty enemy inventories with him because he actually has the stats to defeat things with Capture's penalties.
-Franz is a spider with a speed growth of 65% which is good because he'll need it to use the Sharp Claw I stole off a spider in chapter 3. Speaking of...
-The Sharp Claw has 18 Mt, 61 Hit, but 18 Weight. In comparison the Poison Claw he started with only has 5 Mt and 51 Hit but he's not weighed down. So basically the sharp claw is a nuke option but does weigh him down by 6, into the negatives
-Gilliam is an Eirika Lord with a disgusting palette but came with basically standard myrmidon states including double digit skill and speed bases. Except he also has 50% strength growth, 110% HP growth and average-high growths everywhere else. Also Armored Blow for +10 Def when initiating battles and Full Metal Body to be immune to all Seal X skills. He also came with a Light Brand and we stole another one from an enemy, along with a Killing Edge, an Armorslayer and more. He's gonna stay to endgame, i have a feeling.
-Moulder and Garcia are both Soldiers, and I'm gonna dump Moulder soon because he has low everything bases and no growth goes over 40% other than HP which is 65%. He's got a growth total of only 225%. Too bad, he actually has good Con. Garcia on the other hand has a 65% strength growth and a personal skill that doubles your crit total, AND came with a Killer Lance so he's hitting 80 crit already. Unfortunately basically every weapon that isn't an Iron Lance has a hit rate below 65 so he hasn't been able to get as many hits or crits as I'd like.
-Ross is a Monk with permanent devil effect for both him and enemies attacking him. So every single attack made by or against him has to roll for triggering the devil effect. This is already hilarious because enemies have basically no luck so they're very often rolling the effect against themselves. But it is a bit crap to have am otherwise really solid unit with decent bases and growths tainted by a permanent devil effect. I'll probably still use him because he came with A rank light magic and an a Aura tome that has high might, hit and crit, but yeah. Hoo boy.
-Vanessa is a Pupil with great potential in her offensive growths but i won't be using her because her personal skill ruins her. It's called Fury and it gives her a permanent +2 bonus to strength, speed, defense and resistance, but at the cost of her taking 6 damage to herself every battle, 9 if she doubles. She only has 16 HP. I basically can't use her without dropping her to half health and I don't have a healer or access to a shop with vulneraries yet. Very sad.
-That's okay though because Colm is a Mage and has no real downsides other than being less potentially strong than Vanessa. But he has Rally Spectrum so he has utility.
-Neimi is the thief now and has growths comparable to Chad from FE6. I'll probably use her.
-I'm starting Chapter 4 now and Artur showed up and heck yeah I'm gonna use him. He's a Gargoyle with a few shaky growths but he came with 11 Strength, 13 Speed and 9 Defense at base. 16 HP is troubling but i think I'll toss the second Angelic Robe I picked up onto him to give him a better start. Plus I mean, another flier is never a bad thing.
-Haven't seen what Lute is yet, hopefully an Archer or Healer please, thank you.

It's been fun but man Chapter 2 was a rough time because all the brigands got turned into wyverns. But next chapter Bazba and all got turned into Dancers so that was funny. Also the Dancers in my run don't have Wary Fighter and can double appropriately? Maybe it got an update in the few days since the LP started.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm playing on my phone so I haven't really taken any screens. Might be able to in the future though. Trust me when I say it's very silly.

Also I discovered that the prep screen shop sells "Amnesia Scrolls" which allow you to remove skills from units. I might use that to remove Vanessa's bad personal skill but part of me says "no this is what you were dealt, you have to live with it".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I forgot I'm playing on Casual mode so I might just treat Ross deviling himself as a "the kid got overwhelmed and needs to go lie down for a bit" when it keeps happening.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think there's something wrong with my Seth's personal skill. He has something called Grisly Wound, and it's supposed to deal extra damage equal to 20% enemy max HP after battle. However it doesn't seem to apply correctly, or maybe I should say it applies too much. I think any unit that initiates battle while standing adjacent to him ends up taking that 20% extra damage to their own health, including my own units. I can't otherwise explain why my units keep taking damage after battle at random. I'm going to have to test this more when I'm not facing down a load of mages with very strong, accurate tomes in chapter 4. If it is him causing it, I gotta remove that skill because there's no way it's intentional to have it affect adjacent allied units.

Edit: Well never mind, my run send to have glitched and chapter 4 won't end even though the defeat enemies condition has been met. I guess my run is over.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

You're the second person to report getting stuck on that chapter, so something definitely seems to be up with it.

Can you try loading your save in an unmodified FE8 rom? The randomizer is so modified I can't really say if it'll work, but it's possible you could finish the vanilla chapter and then switch back to the randomized rom after that.

I can try but I don't know how it'll work on phone. Either way I think I'm gonna report it and the weird Grisly Wound interaction to the thread on FEU.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually yeah I wanna know how many axe users you've been "gifted".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nondevor posted:

Luckily, this patch lets you skip maps! Entering the Konami code on the map turns on the Enemy Control function (lets you control other units manually), but it also brings up a Skip option in the action menu that immediately brings you to the post-map cutscene. Found out that last part by accident because I thought it meant the enemies would skip their turn, not end the map :v:

THANK YOU FOR THIS EXPLANATION! I had no clue what the code was doing because it didn't seem like it was inputting right. Since I'm playing on phone, I assumed that when I pressed "A" and didn't see the menu open up, that I wasn't pressing the screen hard enough. Turns out that inputting the code stops the menu from coming up and so I'd been double-inputting the "A" press each time. I can finally skip ahead to the next chapter and keep playing! (Goodbye good Eirika level up on the final enemy, since i needed them alive in order to use the Skip feature.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nondevor posted:

Glad that helped! The Serene's Forest post could definitely use some more elaboration on the Konami code feature. Or any elaboration, really... for example, I thought it would immediately control the enemies, but the game still makes you go through Player Phase units > Enemy Phase units etc.

Does the game keep character level-ups when you skip? When I tried it, I saw the glowing text option pop up while trying to move my characters and pressed it first thing, so I lost at least a few units' worth of exp...

Yes it does. I assume what it does is call the Ending_event for that chapter when you select the option. So wherever you happen to be, it'll just end the chapter as if you beat it that turn.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

ok wow how many Hammers has the game given you at this point? Is it enough to outfit all 7 of your axes with them?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I got to 5x in my run.

-Ephraim is a spider with a Sharp Claw only, so he's weighed down to 3 effective speed. But he also has Pursuit and that gives him an AS+2 when attacked so maybe it'll work out? His growths are gigantic too--the only growth under 30% is Res at 20. Everything else is between 30 and 75.
-Both Kyle and Forde have been rolled into Eirika Lords. Both of them have Iron Swords only. I haven't mentioned how bad the weaponry is in my run have I? Iron Swords have 3 Mt and 73 hit. Basically every single Iron and Steel weapon is under 70 hit and weak. Bows are the exception to the might rule, and Iron Lances are the Hit exception with 99 hit. Everyone hits with melee like wet paper. Kyle has Aether and the same negate seal skills all Eirika Lords have. Growths are bad, with strength being his best at 50%, and everything else aside from HP and Skill being 25% or lower.
-Forde has something called Fortress Defense. It gives him +5 Def, but -3 Str/Mag permanently. He now has functionally 2 strength, with a 3 Mt weapon. and only a 30% strength growth. Benched benched benched.
-Of course, Orson would be the guy that rolled everything good. He spawned as a promoted(?) Recruit with 35 HP, 14 strength, 13 defense, good skill and speed and res, and really respectable growths. His skills are Lucky Seven (+20 Hit/Avoid until Turn 7), Crit +15, Vantage, and Aether. I *wish* he was permanent. He got an iron lance and javelin.

Notice a problem? No keys, no chest keys, no healing items, no healer. To get through 5x. There's one vulnerary and one pure water near the boss. Most of the enemies have been re-rolled into Mages, and Anima magic is like the best weapon to attack with in the run. I think I'm gonna have to just use the code to skip this chapter because there's no reasonable way I'm getting through this without healing items. I'll lose through pure attrition.

---
Oh I guess I'll mention the other units I got between the last big post I made and now.
-Lute came as an archer, which is awesome because Iron Bows have like 9 Mt, 90 Hit, and she has some fantastic growths. She also got the skill Point Blank, which allows archers to attack at 1-range, and I gave her a random skill scroll because she actually ended up with two copies of Point Blank. She got...I can't remember the name but it gives her +4 Def and Speed whenever she's attacked. So I can basically send her in to fight anything from range, then when they attack her back she shrugs off the hit and doubles. She's going to be very good.
-Natasha got rolled into the Priest class so basically nothing changed. I don't really care, at least I have a healer now. And with Seth's weird Grisly Wound bug seemingly hurting all my units at random for no reason, being able to keep healing is very good.
-Joshua is a Bonewalker. Nothing spectacular about him, but he can use two weapon types.

-I leveled everyone I used in chapter 5 up to Level 7, except Franz who isn't allowed to use the arena as a spider because he "can't fight" says that game. I think the arena master is just scared of him.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm going to have to give up on my run. All my units are constantly taking 20% of their max hp in damage when they attack, even if Seth isn't deployed. I tried to start 5x only for Ephraim and Orson to take damage for no reason, despite defeating units in one hit. Something is horribly wrong with the Grisly Wound skill and I can't sit here and try to mitigate it's effects for the whole run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

Can't you just remove the skill? Or does it keep happening even then?

It's a personal skill, so you can't use Amnesia Scrolls on them. If I could I would have by now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I decided to restart my run with new settings just to see what would happen. After tossing out a couple runs in the prologue, like unchanged Eirika with sniper Seth and Bard Eirika with Great Knight Seth (this one hurt because Seth was really good but i didn't want to deal with bard eirika), I got a Recruit Eirika with Wyvern Knight Seth. Seemed good, weapons were okay, skills were good. Got to Chapter 1 and Franz is a troubadour and Gilliam is an ephraim lord and looks fantastic. Yep it all looks good.

Except...Breguet has Lancebreaker as a skill. And is on a gate. And all my offensive units use lances. He has 98 avoid.

My run might be over already... :negative:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I got past Lancebreaker Breguet because I forgot that Gilliam also has Lancebreaker, since it's the Ephraim Lord class skill. So they negated each others' skills and Gilliam was able to one-round him. On to chapter 2! Vanessa is an Eirika Lord, and Moulder is a Revenant. Upon entering the chapter, I see that Garcia is a wyvern rider and Ross is another Revenant. And they actually have stats and weapons and enemies nearby that won't get them killed immediately! This should be much better than the last run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was thinking, maybe the game randomizes drops based on team composition. Which could explain all the axes you've been getting from chests and stuff since you have so many axe users in your party and on the bench. No less frustrating but still, theories.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I...don't understand what you're going on about at the end of the update. :confused:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If that's what it is then I got confused by what sounded like them being angry at the situation. Unless it's because they wanted someone else to get the boss kill and it took that away from the person. I was looking for something like game irreversibly messing up their run for the...severity of the reaction.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's really weird how it keeps dumping all stats into Luck for you. About as weird as all the Hammer drops!

Also, the option to randomize Move seems like one that's more annoying than anything else, especially because promotions have such a high chance of losing move. The potential for 8 move non-mounted units is funny, but I think I'd rather play it with vanilla move options.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I started another FE8 run after that Grisly Wound glitch made me abandon my previous run. This one's looking pretty good so far. I put my character summaries in the test poster to save on page space:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154451

This isn't becoming a proper LP or anything, just periodic character updates as I play.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The freeze is specifically certain instances where you're doing high damage to enemies and a second attack lands before the damage from the first attack finishes decrementing in the HP bar. The game doesn't know what to do in that instance and hangs because it was trying to decrement but got interrupted. I think they forgot to program in the proper "wait" for the attack animation to finish when Pierce gets triggered. Javelins have a very short attack animation, so there's a high chance of it happening like that. But it's possible to trigger with any attack under the right/wrong circumstances.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wow that Amelia :magical:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think you're starting to run into the problem that promoted units in the GBA games have really bad bases for whatever reason, that get covered up by the game using a huge variety of "faction" bonuses to increase strength. Basically the designers made a bunch of extra character/faction classes for enemy units that come with pre-defined stat bonuses that get applied depending on what class the unit is when they placed the enemies. But here I'm guessing units are receiving those factional bonuses at random, which leads to the really badly statted promoted units. There's also a level penalty applied to all enemy units that basically counts the first X levels as empty. X is usually 2 but can vary slightly.

In Awful Emblem, we decided to try and make things easier on ourselves in the future by just going through all the promoted units and raising base stats. That's why we have promoted enemy units that look like this at level 5:

It's obviously going to require some proper testing once we get far enough in that promoted units are going to be a regular occurrence, and I'm sure we'll have to use factions with stat bonuses and negatives in some parts to adjust how dangerous promoted units might end up now. But those are my theories on why the promoted guys in that chapter were so anemic compared to what you might expect.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm impressed by how awful they all turned out. :rolldice:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Between both the FE7 and FE8 runs, there is definitely something wrong with the way it handles randomizing promoted stuff, unless carlyle really did roll negative on all his randomized variances. Because wow, that's a pathetic preview.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So my theory on why it seems like Neimi was gaining more exp than anyone else despite being higher level is that Soldiers in the GBA games actually have a different Relative Class Power stat than most other classes. This stat dictates base EXP gains when fighting units. I think most classes have a RCP of 3, but I think Soldiers have 2. So do Thieves. I think an Entombed has a 1? Not sure honestly and I don't have an unmodified class table to look at on hand. But this is why Soldiers are always big bags of EXP when you fight them, even though they're not promoted enemies. It's also why Thieves seem to gain more EXP when fighting, and why defeating them gives you a big EXP bonus. What you're seeing here is Neimi effectively getting thief exp gains, except on a unit that's actually likely to see combat instead of utility.

I'm guessing that's why they gave Thieves a lower RCP too, that way you can have them fight fewer enemies while doing utility stuff, and still gain levels at a reasonable pace. That is, if you ever choose to actually field a thief as a combat unit...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

And yeah thieves are usually carefully placed on the map for a purpose, but when they're randomized they can get kind of :saddowns:.

I bet it's because the randomizer doesn't randomize AI, so if someone randomizes into a thief, they don't necessarily get the required AI settings thieves normally have assigned to them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wow, your Rennac looks incredible. Those growths are fantastic all around, his skills complement him as well. I'd add him to any team in a heartbeat. Knoll looks very serviceable too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is such a pretty background, wow. Never seen it before. Of course, the GBA games also had river backgrounds but it's so rare to fight on one.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you're playing on snes9x, the emulator stores all saves in its Saves folder, not actually in the same folder as the rom itself. This is different to how ZSNES or VBA does things. Which means if you have a rom of the same name as one you played earlier, the save data will still exist in that folder even if the contents of the rom are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well now you have a very strong spider you could use!