Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say that this thread is amazing and I am happy it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serra as Hector looks so good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Faillen Angel posted:

In FE7, you can promote normally, but the Plot promotion will revert you to your base class.

In FE8, the plot promotion sets you to Eirika Lord and Ephraim Lord.

So does this mean that Guy could hypothetically promote three times? Once from Corsair to Berserker, then plot promote (demote?) to Corsair and go back? Do stat bonuses stack if this happens, or do they revert?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

This thread inspired me to try my hand at the Sacred Stones self randomizer, which has had interesting results.

Eirika's map sprite actually looks quite nice. She has Rally Str and Aegis, which lets her dodge magic attacks skill% of the time, but that strength proves a problem as by chapter 1 she can't damage the cavs that spawned.

Seth came out much better, and got Devil's Pact. So bring on the devil weapon dark magic, I guess. His summons are my most reliable attacks because Luna has poo poo aim and weighs 16, so Seth's AS is -2.

The first map also spawned with every enemy being a stave user. The boss had a recover that he never got to use, and three vulneraries he was supposed to drop. Since he used all the vulns, he dropped his Recover instead. We can't use it because Seth's staff rank is E.

Eirika and Seth's palettes. I think Seth definitely wins this one.

Franz fittingly spawns as a Shaman to follows Seth's example, but holy hell these bases. He does come with Amaterasu, which heals allies within 2 tiles by 20%, and with no other source of healing besides Eirika's vulneraries, this has been quite helpful. But his AS is -7.

Meanwhile, Gilliam is a reasonably strong revenant with Seal Skill. The Fetid Claw weighs him down by 2, but he's a bag of hit points at least. That 0 defense hurts, not to mention he still has 4 movement.

Gilliam looks like a horrible broccoli monster. Baguette also spawned as a revenant and looks like a ketchup and relish hot dog golem. He also spawned with Life or Death adding +10 to all damage totals...except Luna. Luna ignores that skill just like it ignores resistance, apparently.

Vanessa spawned basically as herself so I didn't screen cap her, but Moulder is another story! That's twice my Vanessa's speed! The defense is a little low but with a steel lance* he is my most accurate unit, beating out even Seth. Meanwhile armed with only a poison lance Vanessa's accuracy before enemy avoid is 57.

Garcia has actual defense and huge hit points, completely obviating Gilliam. His Con is just enough so he can use the Sharp Claw, which also does 15 damage. He hits for nearly twice what anyone else can do, but the big question is if he can hit. His personal skill is Malefic Aura, which increases magic damage to targets in two tiles. When I can start using something besides Luna that will probably matter, especially because...

Ross spawned as an adorable pony-mounted cheerleader with Spur Magic! This means allies adjacent to Ross will do +4 magic damage, and combined with the Malefic auras on Garcia, Seth, and Franz, that could be quite potent. Also all male allies take 2 less damage around Ross.

I'm excited to see where things go from here.

*first village*

Well, that's helpful.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 13, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I got to 5x in my run (seed name Graf) and Ephraim was yet another shaman, this time with Nosferatu, Kyle and Forde were both really, really terrible Revenants (though Forde ended up better than Kyle in every way, including having a better claw that was more accurate, more damage, and weighed less), Orson was a mage knight with Elfire, and no healing. I had to cheat heavily to even reach the boss and broke the Nosferatu and nearly broke the Elfire. I had to sacrifice Kyle and Forde to make it that far because they were terrible, and Orson had one hit point by the end.

On the other hand, this is my Lute.

Her skill might seem bad, but iron axes randomized to be very good so she basically doesn't miss anyway.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 15, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The fact that it's always luck is such a joke that you'd almost think it's intentional.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The brave sword had -- damage. Was it an eclipse weapon?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So trying out various seeds I want to recommend Johan for making Eirika an Ephraim with Fierce Stance (+6 attack on enemy phase) and good stats, because right now she's the Jeigan and clearing every map on her own. This is especially important because Seth is an assassin with 12 HP and Gilliam is a priest with 5!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In the interest of trying out some more seeds, I have ended up with a few where it was literally impossible to clear Chapter 1, but I want to shout out to Goodman. Seth makes a handsome Hero and starts with Axefaith, while Gilliam is a myrmidon with Swordbreaker and that's probably the best sprite I've seen him roll. Eirika is a troubador, and you do have to heal Seth because he does have Devil's Whim until you get an amnesia scroll.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ah ha ha, that next chapter preview.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miacis posted:

Hopefully I'm not drowning the thread out with these updates. I kinda wanted to get the pre-Manster chapters out of the way.

I'm enjoying them, so keep them up if you are inclined. I think most runners at this point are occupied with Three Houses.

Is there a way to replicate a randomization that didn't explicitly use a seed? Like does the spoiler file note the string of numbers it used to come up with something?

edit: I just discovered that if a mounted character gets the dance skill in FE5, then their map icon not only turns into a girl for the dance, it turns into two girls for the spin, and four heads for the jump.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 11, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Here's something neat in a randomized FE5: If a store sells Venin weapons, such as axes, they are available for much cheaper than the iron weapons they turn into when you trade them. :homebrew: Repeat until money is never a problem again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21998f-FocM

This almost makes up for Leif's highest growth being 15%. :shepspends:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I am pretty sure it's just "poison is evil" like it was in games like DnD for a while.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nanna, that man threw himself on his devil axe for you; can you not muster even a single +1? Damned millennial.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miacis, perhaps you might know why, but for some reason all my armors count as being mounted for moving in doors. That can't be normal behavior, can it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Miacis posted:

Thracia 776 — Chapter 5: Thievery

They're getting the same indoors terrain movement penalties as mounted units, is that it? That's... strange. I don't remember that happening in my previous seeds.

I'll pass it along to Shocktrooper. Do you remember what general settings you chose (not the specific values, just what boxes were checked)?

I think it was these settings but upon reflection, I think the real problem likely has something to do with how I used the same seed with slightly different settings and saved to the same location with the same name, expecting a total overwrite. Instead of outright replacing the rom with the same name as I expected, it...merged them? An earlier save on the rom had the original settings (Leif was an axefighter in the old save while he was a mage in a new one). So it's possible that the unintended behavior comes from conflicting class IDs somehow existing in the same rom?

edit: I am confused; I removed the rom that I had randomized, and tried running the randomizer again with the same name, and somehow it still has those saves. I'm not clear how that's happening.

Maybe something is going on with my emulator because I can't imagine why I can delete the rom, randomize a fresh copy, and it has the same save data.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 26, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thanks. I think that'll clear things up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gheb has nice thighs... :barf:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Man I love FE5, and this randomizer looks like a good way to shake it up.

How do you get the randomizer to spit out a readme?

I started over to try and move past the weird bugs I had, and I encountered a new one.

This is start of Chapter 3. Not sure what happened. This was a fresh randomize and everyone else is at least who they're supposed to be. She only officially has ranks in fire magic, but can use both of those wands (presumably the class she has remembers what she can do even if the rest of the game forgets?). Everything in the blue is empty on her character screen.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 29, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lol trying to change her portrait back to Safy's with cheats just turned her into Reinhardt, name and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So THAT'S how you recruit him.

I tried reloading a safe state from before her recruitment to see if that might help Safiya reload correctly and somehow she became this:

At least her/his second screen isn't broken this time, so it doesn't go a black screen for several seconds when trying to load her status screen. But holy lol.

That 20 movement is a lie, by the way. Safi-hardt has infinite movement tiles, but can't actually move.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 30, 2019