Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Funny you should mention the self-randomizing hack...

...because that's what this playthrough is! Whereas Yune is an executable program that randomizes the game for you, this is a ROM that randomizes itself. The customization isn't as robust, but it still leads to some pretty fun stuff. This is my first serious attempt at LPing, so there may be some rough edges here and there. If there's anything I can change or do better, let me know!

Run 1: Eirika in: The Devil's Own Luck
01: Identity Crisis
02: The Right Honorable King Breguet
03: Dance Dance Ross-olution
04: The Bandits of Doggo
05: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
06: Dancing Machine (Plus Some Words About Version 1.3)
07: One Man Army
08: Fog of Bore
09: The Fast and the Murray-ous
10: The Art(ur) of War
11: Celerity Now
12: Knightmare in Carcinoland
13: Pala-drat!
14: Ain't No Mountain High Enough
15: Another Goddamn Lance User
16: Stat Dumping: A Cautionary Tale
17: Tonight, Someone Dies
18: "Legendary" "Weapons"
19: In Which My Choice of Run Title Comes Back to Bite Me in the rear end
20: Ephraim Eat The Eggs
21: The Shortest Survival
22: Metal Gear Rising: Arturevengeance
23: It Ends

Run 2: Ephraim Didn't Eat the Eggs
24: Interlude: The B-Team
25: Getting Rich in Rigwald
26: I Have No Shame
27: Shape Up or Ship Out
28: Five Percent Discount
29: Stat Dumping: A Success(?) Story
30: Going Gold in Grado
31: Parade of Promotions
32: The One Where Ephraim Finds a Horse
33: In Like a Lyon / I'm Already Out of Egg Jokes
34: The Incredible Hulkyle
35: It Ends 2: End Harder

Fan Stuff

ephraim eat the eggs, by vilkacis

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

vilkacis posted:

The peak/water option is basically so you can get characters who start on normally unwalkable terrain to move - the bandits in Ross/Garcia's chapter can't get off the mountains if they're, say, mercenaries, for instance.

Generalter looks amazing :allears:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess "pure random" just changes which classes can and can't cross water/mountains, then?

I have no idea if the class fuckery in the prologue applies to just us or to Valter, too. I hope not, because he looks awesome as is.

Edit: That 13x looked... fun. It's a good thing Florina is strong enough to bench-press the entire army.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 1, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

Just as a warning about Death Blow; both FEH and FE14 Death Blow are part of the self-randomizing rom, so you might have a +35 Crit Eirika once she promotes.

...Huh. I didn't actually know that - I figured there would only be one instance of each skill. I look forward to what other silly skill loadouts I end up with.

Are you playing on Easy? I don't think the randomizer accounts for the tutorials, which can lead to situations like that. You might have to just play on Normal instead.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

The prologue was pretty short, so how about another quick update?

02: The Right Honorable King Breguet

EDIT: Changed the wording on my "explanation" of Barricade+ to try and better reflect what the description actually says.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 1, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I didn't notice until you reposted that screenshot that I managed to leave my mouse cursor in the active window when I took it. :doh:

I... would also appreciate an explanation on Barricade. I tried to test it out, but the next chapter isn't really turning out to be that conducive to it.

EDIT:

Roluth posted:

This line from the self-randomizer change log makes me smile:

"Flashy mode now works in vanilla! (all boss kill attacks show the critical animation)"

So the superfluous crit finishes I've been getting have been scripted the whole time??? :aaaaa:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

That's quite a lucky Ike you have there. :v:

Hopefully Oscar secretly has some wacky growths to make up for the fact that he really shouldn't be anywhere near a battlefield.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Are Black Dragons in FE9? I'm guessing not but they might be dummied.

There definitely aren't any in the normal game, and I don't think they were dummied out either. I could be wrong, though.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

03: Dance Dance Ross-olution

In which Killer Lances continue to be the bane of my (and Ross's, and Gilliam's) existence.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Sorites posted:

EDIT:What does the FE8 randomizer do with the trainee classes? I feel like most randomizers try to keep units in their starting tier (Oscar not promoted, Titania promoted) but Ross isn't any of the "zeroth tier" classes. Could someone else roll a trainee class?

... Real edit: Quote is not edit. drat.

The trainee classes are randomized just like any other, and it's possible to run into enemy trainees as well (the next chapter will have an enemy Pupil ignore this, I had to reset and now it's not there anymore). I once had a run where Eirika was a Recruit, and that was... interesting.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 2, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Wow, that poison bow... it's a good thing Lucius was able to get a spare bow so quickly.

Oh hey, Nils is actually starting to turn out decent! Good on him.

The next chapter looks like it'll be fun :allears:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

So here's a fun fact about the self-randomizer. Somehow, whether or not you visit shops in between chapters can affect how the next chapter randomizes. This can change enemy classes and stats, but more importantly, remember that picture of Neimi I posted in the last update? Well, now, all of a sudden, I have to work with this:

:suicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

FE8: Can player-monster units promote?

They can, but unless this randomizer changes it, they only gain Con on promotion.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the FE8 monster units use the same promotion items human ubits do

They can use Master Seals, but I'm not sure about other items. I would imagine so, though.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

04: The Bandits of Doggo

In which I still don't get a good opportunity to demo Barricade. I'll slow my roll on updates after this, I've just had a lot of free time to churn these out lately.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Hahaha that 50 gold. :allears: I'm thinking that's the kind of thing that's just supposed to give you gold when you take it.

I think that's exactly what it is. I remember when I was getting gold drops on chapter 1, the enemies had the corresponding gold "item" in their inventory. If only I could drop it and get the right money for it :(

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

"Hmm which of Sealen's weapons should he drop, the hammer or the hammer?"

If memory serves, his Actually Good item drop is HHM only.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:psyduck: What happened to Shinon's sprite? And how did he get un-promoted...?

As for the challenge rules, maybe one of them could be, in addition to the vindictive deployment, that you can only field one "God-unit" per map, besides Ike (if we get to a point where that won't completely screw you over).

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

05: Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Faillen Angel posted:

This is actually vanilla.

Time for my seemingly daily "I know too drat much about this series" moment:

If a female Archer or either Sniper uses a ballista with the animations on in vanilla, the game hangs. Male Archers will use the ballista animation properly, but uh...

Guess what you don't get in vanilla FE8?

Huh. Is that why ballistas default to not showing animations when anyone uses them? I don't remember ever running into that when I played vanilla Sacred Stones, but this was years ago, so I may just be misremembering.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always thought Serra looked like Sailor Moon so now I think we need a Sailor Moon reboot where she wields an axe instead of a tiara/sickle-wand/a scepter/ a stronger scepter/ a kaleidoscope/a stronger scepter/a stronger scepter with a cup on it

"In the name of the Moon, I WILL SMITE YOU :black101:"

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

It's been fun but man Chapter 2 was a rough time because all the brigands got turned into wyverns. But next chapter Bazba and all got turned into Dancers so that was funny. Also the Dancers in my run don't have Wary Fighter and can double appropriately? Maybe it got an update in the few days since the LP started.

I went back to the Serenes Forest thread, and I think I downloaded the randomizer less than a day before its latest update. :doh: Looking at the changelog, there's some things I've missed and want to show off, like Thracia 776 Mode, so I might try to cobble together a bonus update or something assuming the update won't break my run.

I know in the vanilla game, there's a glitch where Tethys (or anyone, really) can learn dark magic and it caused a crash with her specifically if you had animations on, so I had believed them getting Wary Fighter was meant as a band-aid for that crash.

Glad you're enjoying it so far, though! That perma-Devil effect sounds hilarious and I kind of hope I run into that one.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

drat, the randomizer really seems to have an axe to grind with you. It's too bad so many of your units are on the chopping block because their stats just don't make the cut...

i'll see myself out

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

06: Dancing Machine (Plus Some Words About Version 1.3)

This update ran kind of long, due in no small part to me getting kind of carried away with arena grinding. :sweatdrop:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Sorites posted:

Does Pragmatic apply to healing, or does the game know the difference between staff use and combat?

This is a newly added quality of life feature to balance out how hard it is to keep track of everything after randomizing. Talk opportunities (including between your own units) get this bubble, and enemies with dangerous weapons (effective, killer, and I think brave) get a warning icon when you're moving a unit.

Yes, the game differentiates between healing and combat, so Pragmatic wouldn't boost healing, as nice as that would be.

I had noticed the bubbles for dangerous weapons before as I definitely remember seeing them before the patch, but not the talk bubbles. They're a nice touch!

Also I can't wait to see the rest of 10-move Soren :allears:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Skills seem to get pretty wild. I can see why the game would have items to manipulate them. Nonetheless...not sure if I'm a fan. It reminds me uncomfortably of Fates.

Well, a good chunk of these skills are lifted directly from Fates, so maybe that's why they remind you of it :v: I'll admit, it does get annoying to deal with sometimes, both on my units (as a slight spoiler, the next chapter gives me a healer that has Life and Death with no way to take advantage of it) and on enemies (in this seed, Recruits have Bane as a class skill and I dread the day one of the enemy ones actually manage to proc it).

EDIT: I realized I forgot to show Joshua's growths in the last update, but they should be there now.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 5, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:laffo: The guy going "terrible, terrible, I tell you" and then giving you a hammer got a good laugh out of me.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Funny you should mention 5x, because...

07: One Man Army

I honestly was going to skip this chapter, but Ephraim's inventory changing after the first reset was enough to get me over the initial hurdles of it.

It's kind of funny that Orson ended up being good for both of us, and that Forde ended up being so awful for us both. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have complained as much about Orson's stats if he ended up as a General or something, because then I could almost expect stats like that (other than his strength). It's a shame he happened to have the best growths and really good skills, though :(

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 6, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Zurai posted:

That 5x could have been worse -- you could have had siege tome assholes around!

Well... I almost did. Thanks to the inventory randomization, the Pupil in the throne room had Bolting instead of Fire on the first run, so even if I had made it past that in the first run, I'd probably have lost someone to Bolting.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Your Ephraim is honestly really nifty (if frighteningly fragile) and your Kyle is serviceable. I can't think of any universe where you'd want to use that Forde though.

The only problem I really have with Kyle is the fact that Life and Death does absolutely nothing for him until promotion beyond making him take more damage. Once he does promote, though... :unsmigghh:

Faillen Angel posted:

:psypop:

That's 8mt and 8hit up on Vanilla. Holy poo poo.

Yep! I didn't show their stat screens, but the Baels all had really low strength, but they still had enough might to one-shot the whole party sans Orson even if they had 0 strength. The Sharp Claw having stats like that made me seriously consider using this update as a demo of the Konami code, but maybe another opportunity will arise.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I'm a bit behind, but ouch Dorcas having the Assassin promotion gains really doesn't do him any favors. It's a good thing Lucius has good promotion gains waiting for him, though. I'm also amused by Vaida "randomizing" into her unpromoted class, and Aion's whole "thunder hear my cry!!" as a Nomad Trooper with swords.

Is it possible for Kishuna's posse to randomize into magic users? Because that would be pretty funny.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

08: Fog of Bore

I went into this chapter expecting it to be a lot worse, but things went pretty smoothly.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Hi I'm just sliding in the thread to second Using Treck. I love Treck. There's that fangame where Treck's sprite is used for a Knight who's just named "Kevin" and Kevin is somehow just A GOD who solos half the maps. Do it for Kevin.

I love that the FE8 randomizer can turn your units into monsters. Do any of them give access to the final boss classes? Can you potentially roll a Fire Dragon in FE7?

Ah, Kevin. :allears: Who knew Treck but in a suit of armor could become one of the best generals of all time?

I can't speak for the Yune randomizer, but unfortunately that can't happen with the FE8 self-randomizer, as both Lyon and Fomortiis' classes seem to be locked to them, as funny as it would be to run around as a giant demon and punch people.

e:f;b

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 9, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

So it seems as though in the Sacred Stones randomizer you start with enough skill ranks to use whatever is in your inventory. So in my run Eirika (who started as herself) with the Runesword started at rank A with swords. Of course the real highlight of the run is Natasha who is also an Eirika lord starts with 20 speed.

Yes! You never start with weapons you can't use, which is a nice failsafe that the randomizer has.

:distonk:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

09: The Fast and the Murray-ous

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Is... Is that 0 Con on Fir?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Huh, it sounds like entire parties being made of wet paper with one or two exceptions is kind of a theme with the FE8 randomizer. Wonder why...

Canto+ on a foot soldier sounds amazing. Who needs a mount for hit and run tactics?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe Guy catches Hawkeye while he was training Igrene to do archery? Also, I dig Isadora's palette and her golden armor.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

10: The Art(ur) of War

:siren: Since we've hit the route split, I'm opening up where we go from here to a vote. Which route should we go with first? Also, when I tackle the other route, should it be from this same seed, or should I start a new game and see how things go? If one of those options win, I won't bore you guys with a retread of the first 10 maps again - instead, I'll have a mini-update once I've played through them, showing off the party I'll be using going into it.

If it helps inform your decision, here's a comparison shot of the two lords, as of the end of Chapter 8 (the -5 on Ephraim is from a seal skill)

Vote here! I'll call the vote in about 2 days.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Neimi is good!

Holy poo poo Devil's Pact is an awful skill.

She is, but I'd like her a lot better if she could hit her defense growth at least once. Her getting one-shotted at some point down the line is a very real possibility :ohdear:

Devil's Pact seems like the kind of thing that's nice to have for yourself but awful to run into on enemies. But now I'm just wondering if if also factors in proc skills - will Artur end up assassinating himself? :thunk:

I might call the poll early tomorrow morning if there's (still) a clear lead, but if not then I'll keep it going.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

I don't really see the results on it changing, so I'm gonna wrap up the poll. Thanks, everyone who participated! :) I'll be going with Eirika first, and then a new run for Ephraim after I finish the Eirika route.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Is there any chance people could (re)post the settings they used for their randomized seeds? Maybe even add some to the OP?

I'll add it to my OP when I'm home, but the seed name I'm using is Ashera. These are my settings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

FPzero posted:

I started another FE8 run after that Grisly Wound glitch made me abandon my previous run. This one's looking pretty good so far. I put my character summaries in the test poster to save on page space:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154451

This isn't becoming a proper LP or anything, just periodic character updates as I play.

I really should do the sane thing for my Ephraim run and not randomize thieves, because not being able to open any of the chests in Chapter 3 suuuucked.

With how awful Forde was in your other seed, too, I'm convinced that the person behind the randomizer just has something against him. He wasn't good in vanilla FE8, but he was never this bad.

And since I'm here and talking about FE8...

11: Celerity Now

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 15, 2019