Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
ooh, the ff8 self-randomizer rom sounds hilarious

also hooray for the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
mGBA is extremely simple, actually! You open the program (unzip it, then find the actual program in the file it makes), choose the rom to run from an option in mGBA (make sure it’s in a .gba format), and then, from mGBA itself, choose to apply a patch to it (patch in .ups format here). No need for an external patcher, even.

May be more complicated for windows vs mac, but I doubt it.

To make it even clearer, on a mac:

1) download mGBA and unzip it (use unarchiver or something).
2) find the actual mGBA application/program in the unzipped folder, run it
2.5) have a ROM in a .gba format, shove it into the same folder as the mGBA app for easy access
3) load the ROM using the command that appears in the "file" dropdown in the top left, shove
3.5) have a patch for the ROM in .ups format, shove it in the mGBA folder like the ROM
4) load the patch using the command that appears in the file dropdown

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 2, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Minus Green posted:

:psyduck: What happened to Shinon's sprite? And how did he get un-promoted...?

As for the challenge rules, maybe one of them could be, in addition to the vindictive deployment, that you can only field one "God-unit" per map, besides Ike (if we get to a point where that won't completely screw you over).

I have a different, if similar, idea: if you want a god unit with you from outside the vote, you have to also drag along your worst un-brought unit. Further, for every kill the god unit gets, you have to feed one to the straggler. Basically, god units take up two deployment slots and all their kills require hanger-on kills too.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Behold the single worst enemy I've ever seen...

and his boss

Oh, and let's not forget an addendum, a hilarious joke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jen X fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 4, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love that even in Randomizers Joshua is, at absolute worst, usable. I've never seen a Joshua get benched. Must be the hat. It's the Freya-effect.

my joshua is a revenant with 48 hp and no stat higher than 2

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh my god.

Okay, so, extreme spoilers for something hilarious in the fe8 randomizer:

So, you know that moment when Eirika and Ephraim get to change classes post-chapter 16? They absolutely still get to even if they're currently promoted units of an entirely different class, resetting them to level 1 and not at all touching their stats. They don't suddenly get to use new weapon types though, but I suspect if my Ephraim and Eirika weren't both magic users, they might be able to use normal weapons.

This is amazing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

Oh my god.

Okay, so, extreme spoilers for something hilarious in the fe8 randomizer:

So, you know that moment when Eirika and Ephraim get to change classes post-chapter 16? They absolutely still get to even if they're currently promoted units of an entirely different class, resetting them to level 1 and not at all touching their stats. They don't suddenly get to use new weapon types though, but I suspect if my Ephraim and Eirika weren't both magic users, they might be able to use normal weapons.

This is amazing.

Update: it turns out that they can absolutely use spears and swords, and the game deals with the impossible weaponry by just refusing to show combat animations for it. And when they use the normal class weapons in combat, the game doesn't show them hitting or doing damage.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 7, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Harken and Isadora changed classes in my run, but remained the same recuit-time wise.

Pent and Louise...ended up replacing Nils and Ninian, which is just...it's hilarious, really.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Are Heaven Seals character locked (to Lyn, Eliwood, Hector)? Cause that sucks if you can't promote her.

I think the problem is that the usable heaven seals are locked to Lyn (or rather, her class) and the class of the non-main lord — in this case, Eliwood. So Serra, having Hector's class in Hector's story, is likely unable to promote. In my game, Louise the Ninian is a Lyn Lord, so I was able to promote her with a heaven seal, but, playing Hector's story, I'm less able to promote Hawkeye, who spawned as a Hector-lord in Erk's place.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

This is true, on top of that:
yune makes the knight crest work on hector and eliwood lord classes, and the hero crest for lyn lords. Vilk has a million promotion items for her.

WHAT

oh my god I'm furious at myself, hahaha

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Minus Green posted:

31 speed on Fiora :stare: I don't blame you for just killing her off, because I can imagine it'd have made things a bigger hassle to try and play around her.

(plus her randomizing into her own class is boring, i agree)

Vaida (or whoever she becomes) doesn’t move at all if you stay away from her, the spear is supposed to hint that to you iirc

Naturally, the boss in 19x spawned with a copy of it in my game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Materant posted:

wait what

The super spear can be randomized onto other enemies!? :gonk:

YEP.

Thankfully he had a silver blade (or was it iron? I forget, I know he was a paladin) that he swapped to when I stuffed my beefiest axe unit in front of him and played "don't crit me, please", but my plan was to abuse rescuing and dancing to get him to waste all its uses.

My level 20 maxed lord could do, like, 5 damage and then get doubled for 24, and that was with a hammer, which spawned in my game with +5 str for its users.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Keldulas posted:

Is anyone running into a thing where all the units they promote get an automatic A rank in their 2nd proficiencies? Like my wyvern knights getting an A in swords immediately and so forth.

yeah

it's very weird

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

In my game, nino was priscilla, a 10 hp nomad, and jaffar was marcus, a sage. He died to enemy units before I could do anything to save him besides abuse RNG. She required a bolting chain from hell.

So my solution is was 2 units using torches, and a thief, and torch staves, and then had to ferry my bolting sage around for 3 separate shots (a myrmidon killed Zephiel if I did nothing there) and then had to straight RNG abuse to ensure Maxime died from a 4th bolting before he also killed Marcus. This was turns 1, 2, and 3.

Almost as bad as wallace (bartre) showing up in the top right corner in the lloyd map and me having to double warp-staff a dude up there to stop him from dying horribly on turn 3. All for a stupid, unpromoted cavalier!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Forblaze was a brave weapon in my run, so athos just solo’d the dragon with help from a physic staff user :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm unsure if the items actually work for that bit of insanity, I think it may only be the plot-based promotion that lets you do the crazy double-promote madness thing. I think the lunar and solar brace promotions are class-based but the plot ones are character based.

Similar issue to vilkacis having Guy unpromote in their fe7 run because the code got confused, I suspect!

...I sort of ended up with both Eirika and Ephrain promoted prior to this chapter, myself, by abusing the tower of valni too much :v:

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 27, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I did a new fe7 run and have 3 unbreakable boltings, 3 casters for such + a dancer

One of those boltings is on a character missing an affinity, meaning he has the obscene support bonuses

I think I could legitimately just zap every enemy in the game to death

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Minus Green posted:

I'll be back soon with an interlude update to introduce the party going into Ephraim's exclusive chapters, and then the LP will continue to the end of the game from there.

Seems like a good time to grind the tower of valni after the reunion, and show-off the ephraim/eirika double-promote glitch, if you're up for it and just wanna show stuff off.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh dear god

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Miacis posted:

Mounted units have a bit of a unique tiling situation, since their map sprites go over the 16*16px limitation of other classes, which I'm guess is what's causing this weird cloning stuff.

what a beautiful avatar for someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Congrats on the completed LP product, minus green!