Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Just as a warning about Death Blow; both FEH and FE14 Death Blow are part of the self-randomizing rom, so you might have a +35 Crit Eirika once she promotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

Oh hey, they even added in the ballista animations from FE6! That's a nice touch.

This is actually vanilla.

Time for my seemingly daily "I know too drat much about this series" moment:

If a female Archer or either Sniper uses a ballista with the animations on in vanilla, the game hangs. Male Archers will use the ballista animation properly, but uh...

Guess what you don't get in vanilla FE8?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Right. When using Ballistae on the map, animations are off as normal, but using them as normal weapons causes crashes.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

:psypop:

That's 8mt and 8hit up on Vanilla. Holy poo poo.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Hey, y'all! My name is Faillen Angel (or Kokoriko, but I hadn't decided on that until after I made this account), and I've noticed a distinct lack of FE6 in this thread.

My first response was: Good.

My second response, though, was less fortunate.

Let's change that, shall we?

Some notes, to begin with:

-I've never beaten FE6! For various reasons. VBA doesn't like FE6 for one thing, eating my saves frustratingly often. Plus, I'd often randomize it with frustrating results, like Fae Manakete bosses early on. Fun fact! Fae Manaketes aren't weak to dragonslaying weapons.

-The randomization settings are more for convenience, since FE6's weapon stats are frustrating in vanilla. 55 hit Steel Lances? Puhl-ease. Similarly, I chose to not randomize effects, since I like to know what things are up-front.

-With that said, growths will be noted. I will take suggestions for who to use, but sanity may prevail if things get intolerable.

Chapter 1: The one WITHOUT Roy!
Chapter 2: That didn't last long.
Chapter 3: The one without Hector! Oh, wait...:smith:
Chapter 4: The game takes it easy.
Chapters 5 and 6: things get weird in this one
Chapter 7: The one with the Arena.
Chapter 8: I may have been intoxicated for this one.
Chapter 8.5: The one where Sue goes mad with power.
Chapter 9: Did you know Horseslayers are not effective against pegasi or nomads?
Chapter 10: The True Hero Appears.
Chapter 11: Magic-using Dancers? It's more likely than you think.
Chapters 12 and 12x: Did someone say Axe?
Chapter 13: Goodbye Balance, it's been nice.
Chapters 14 and 14x: The Desert of NICE

Faillen Angel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 13, 2019

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
You can either open the rom with a program such as FEBuilderGBA or Nightmare, or, if you saved a changelog, look at that.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

vilkacis posted:

e: but please size up the images because they are tiny. You can do them all at once with irfanview, file->batch conversion, set output format to png, check the "use advanced options" box, hit Advanced, then set to 200% under resize, and uncheck the "Use resample function" box below.

Duly noted.

Update 2: That didn't last long.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

LordHippoman posted:

I love that the FE8 randomizer can turn your units into monsters. Do any of them give access to the final boss classes? Can you potentially roll a Fire Dragon in FE7?

No, but one of my broken randomizer runs turned Niime into a FE6 Fire Dragon, with a Firestone that was somehow changed to have +50 skill, even though I didn't turn item randomization on.

I don't know what happened to this day.

Part 3: The one without Hector! Oh, wait...:smith:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Nino's actually pretty usable in vanilla FE7; she just has to contend with Pent being a GOAT, plus mages in general not being too useful in FE7's endgame.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
If you promote a lord early, it doesn't count them as 21+, so you're likely to get the low level chapter unless you deliberately hold back promotion.

Chapter 4: The game takes it easy.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
In FE7, you can promote normally, but the Plot promotion will revert you to your base class.

In FE8, the plot promotion sets you to Eirika Lord and Ephraim Lord.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

marshmallow creep posted:

So does this mean that Guy could hypothetically promote three times? Once from Corsair to Berserker, then plot promote (demote?) to Corsair and go back? Do stat bonuses stack if this happens, or do they revert?

When depromoted, stats above the cap will revert to Corsair's caps (ie; all 20).

Chapters 5 and 6: things get weird in this one

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I'm upset because it's always FE6 that breaks like this to me. Maybe the clean rom I'm using is busted? But this is a special brand of broken.

I'm so sick of this poo poo, man. I'm at my limit.

I can continue the run, but how does this even HAPPEN?!

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
You SHOULD be able to use a Knight's Crest on her, IIRC; I know that was a thing on old randomizers.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Gerik doesn't seem so bad; Healing has a minimum turnout, and Slayer is based on weapon might.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

FoolyCharged posted:

Gerik's starting page looked very promising for a cool mage/general type thing.

And then you hit his growths and realize he's only gonna gain 2-3 points on average for 90% of his stats if he goes all the way to 20/20.

Eh; Magic is all you REALLY need for a healer.

Anyways.

Chapter 7: The one with the Arena.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
But...Lyn was a Monk! You don't have a Bishop! You have a Sniper!

...Unless my memory is terrible and Bishops are bad, or something. Very well could be the case.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Shitenshi posted:

That bug with Eliwood's portrait going black in Hector's route after Ninian gets shanked isn't present in the JP version at all for whatever reason. I wonder what weirdness went on in the translation process to make that happen.

I believe this is actually the result of a bad ROM dump that nobody's bothered to fix.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I would have given that Rennac a shot, depending on what the tomes were like in that seed.

Shitenshi posted:

I'm not that familiar with FE so feel free to tell me off, but how the gently caress was Linus able to clone himself again?

Enemy Staff AI is weird...

Unrelated, but one time I got Eclipse Fire. That sure made Arena Grinding "fun".

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Fir is the filler sprite, since there's an easter egg with her, and also because otherwise the "portrait" would be a collection of garbage sprites.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Minus Green posted:

The garbage sprite thing makes sense, but what's the easter egg? I don't think I've ever run into it.

Use the seed "Fir".

Chapter 8: I may have been intoxicated for this one.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Funny thing about Despoil: If you randomize...chest items, I think? Your rewards from Despoil are also randomized.

Who likes grinding out Excaliburs and Boots? :dance:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Update 8.5: The one where Sue goes mad with power.

don't have much else to say tbh

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Sure Shot on a Dark user seems fun, but that speed...

Also :lol: that short spear

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Chapter 9: Did you know Horseslayers are not effective against pegasi or nomads?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
the route split votes are even so i'm going route a, because of someone we'll see next chapter and because i don't want more devil axes

Chapter 10: The True Hero Appears.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Nihilarian posted:

i think all my 99 use weapons fell to 33/99 at some point? no way i've already used that many

That's a thing with GBAFE; If something has more than...60 uses, I believe? It'll lose 60 uses on reset.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

quote:

Not pictured: Her being in a magic class before this has broken her animations, as all that happens here is that she raises and lowers her sword, gains experience, and then the enemy disappears from the map.

I believe she, by nature of having magic ranks, is trying to use the magic sword animations, but most swords don't have animations associated. I'm not 100% on the reasoning though.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
This one sucked and I'm tired. FE6 does that to a person.

Chapter 11: Magic-using Dancers? It's more likely than you think.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Okay let's actually update this.

Chapters 12+12x: Did someone say Axe?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
FIND OUT ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF DRAGON BALL Z

right now

Chapter 13: Goodbye Balance, it's been nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I'm not playing on hardmode, because I already am bad at FE6. Don't need more of that. I do wonder what nonsense he'd have with the buffs, though...

Chapters 14 and 14x: The Desert of NICE