Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sounds like this should be extremely my poo poo, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Reading about the Inca, and while I knew they had developed an Empire, I didn't realize how quickly it arose in the mid 1400's.

I see you are not an EU4 player. (Global-scope historical strategy game spanning the years 1444 to 1820 where basically any organized political state that existed in the timeframe is playable; one of the more interesting underdog type campaigns is to start out as one of the rising New World powers and try to grow strong enough to resist the Europeans when they come knocking.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I was hoping for more discussion but I'm assuming everyone is just sortof responding with stunned silence.

My favorite section overall is probably the one about how the entire Amazon isn't a wild forest: it's a planted orchard.

Yah. Humans get everywhere and meddle with everything. Of loving course they did so in the Americas before Columbus, too.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Alhazred posted:

That sections blew my mind. I've always thought of the Amazon as untouched forest, not a post-apocalyptic wilderness. I also liked how pedantic Mann was about the definition of the Amazon.

Yep.

I pretty much knew already about the scale of pre-contact societies in Mesoamerica and the Andes but the Amazon stuff was new to me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Also pretty interesting to see some detail about how some other areas weren't overwhelmed by European settlers until a great deal later; like New England where the combination of epidemics and other unfortunate sequences of events among the natives with the influx of settlers who had the numbers and organizational capability to exploit the situation happened over 100 years after the fall of the Mesoamerican and Andean native civilizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

1493 goes into this in detail; one takeaway is that using imported military POWs as slave labour is a great way to have well organized slave revolts.

Funny, that.