Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flying_Crab posted:

I mean how much worse can it be than Tegel?

Heathrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nk has been treated rightly as a rogue state since forever.
Acknowledging them, and worse, begging as trump did, gives them hard earned legitimacy that curiously, trump does not give to your own allies.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
99.9999% of this nonsense is trump fishing for a nobel peace prize.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Like, you send underlings to deal with someone who isnt worth your attention, which is what every president ever has done. And trump somehow misreads this as THEY DIDNT HAVE THE GUTS.
It would be comical if it wasnt giving the rubber stamp to a regime of institutional slavery

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nk has been treated rightly as a rogue state since forever.
Acknowledging them, and worse, begging as trump did, gives them hard earned legitimacy that curiously, trump does not give to your own allies.

Time to become canadian i guess? Or french?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

King of Bees posted:

Loving airport chat to close.out the month. Also, what's the problem with Trump walking into NK? It should have been done a long time ago imo. I loving hate Trump just for reference.

It gives KJU a propaganda win and legitimacy on the national stage that he'll be riding on for years in exchange for nothing except our big wet president getting his ego stroked.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Also boosts Kim's propoganda game as king of the world and the US bring a bunch of snivelling dogs begging for scraps. Helps him keep an iron grip on his populace when his bullshit now seems like it is true.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he walked under the already very low bar of dictators we'll be friends with

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Engh. We haven't done anything with NK except starve the populace and hope they don't manage to obtain nukes since at least Clinton.

NK is a tyrannical dictatorship with all that entails, but everyone was pretty much just ignoring it (at best) and hoping it'd be someone else's problem for at least thirty years. Trump's incompetent and pretty likely to get a bunch of Koreans killed (and some Americans), but it's not like anyone else was doing anything good with the situation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is an impressive level of disingenuousness.

Keep this in mind the next time someone refers to the Washington Post a liberal or left leaning publication.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

Engh. We haven't done anything with NK except starve the populace and hope they don't manage to obtain nukes since at least Clinton.

NK is a tyrannical dictatorship with all that entails, but everyone was pretty much just ignoring it (at best) and hoping it'd be someone else's problem for at least thirty years. Trump's incompetent and pretty likely to get a bunch of Koreans killed (and some Americans), but it's not like anyone else was doing anything good with the situation.

Oh come on dude

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

"It's not like anyone else was doing any good with the situation" :goonsay:

Thanks, I too adore seeing decades of american foreign policy washed away but hey, at least he gave it a shot!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Huh so all those humanitarian food shipments we send to north korea are full of division dumplings. Go figure

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Viva Miriya posted:

Thanks, I too adore seeing decades of american foreign policy washed away but hey, at least he gave it a shot!

Cuba was also decades of policy....that trump restored. Doing things over and over expecting to change poo poo is dumb. This one dosen't bother me near as much as him making GBS threads on PR, reshitting on Cuba or saying nazis are people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dont really see a huge amount of sunlight between norks and nazis tbh

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

As far as I can tell, US NK policy was "slow down NK's acquisition of nuclear weapons and ICBMs that can get them to the US east coast by helping starve a lot of it's poorest citizens with no actual plan to effect meaningful change before they got across the finish line."

That policy sucks, has always sucked, and has reached the end of it's useful life, seeing as they now have nukes on ICBMs that can probably hit Washington.

Trump is totally likely to make things worse, but so far NK and SK seem to kind of be handling poo poo on their own relatively well since SK elected someone who was willing to talk to the north.

Trump "legitimizing" NK... Who gives a flying gently caress? It's not like we weren't super great friends with dictators across the world who do a bunch of terrible things to their own people and their neighbors. The only thing that's changed is to more squarely foreground American hypocrisy. Overall that's probably a good thing, if we're not willing to stop being shitheads.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A lot of NK foreign policy is also to keep the regime from collapsing. Because once that happens, millions of refuges stream into SK and China, and it’s a humanitarian crisis on a whole new level.

There’s no easy way to deal with NK.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

As far as I can tell, US NK policy was "slow down NK's acquisition of nuclear weapons and ICBMs that can get them to the US east coast by helping starve a lot of it's poorest citizens with no actual plan to effect meaningful change before they got across the finish line."

That policy sucks, has always sucked, and has reached the end of it's useful life, seeing as they now have nukes on ICBMs that can probably hit Washington.

Trump is totally likely to make things worse, but so far NK and SK seem to kind of be handling poo poo on their own relatively well since SK elected someone who was willing to talk to the north.

Trump "legitimizing" NK... Who gives a flying gently caress? It's not like we weren't super great friends with dictators across the world who do a bunch of terrible things to their own people and their neighbors. The only thing that's changed is to more squarely foreground American hypocrisy. Overall that's probably a good thing, if we're not willing to stop being shitheads.

Oh ok cool

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

FrozenVent posted:

A lot of NK foreign policy is also to keep the regime from collapsing. Because once that happens, millions of refuges stream into SK and China, and it’s a humanitarian crisis on a whole new level.

There’s no easy way to deal with NK.

This is why a lot of South Koreans don't want reunification. It took the German economy, what, 10 years to bounce back after the wall came down? Korean reunification could cause a full blown recession.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BigDave posted:

This is why a lot of South Koreans don't want reunification. It took the German economy, what, 10 years to bounce back after the wall came down? Korean reunification could cause a full blown recession.

China doesn't want the US so close to its borders either. So they have been in support of the status quo too.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

China doesn't want the US so close to its borders either. So they have been in support of the status quo too.

And they don't want a million refugees crossing the Yalu and upsetting their economy or social order.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Getting mixed signals here. We have to destroy Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela because of reasons...But a tiny worthless little country that's basically a cult is now our best friend because Cheddar Cheesebrain says so?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Casimir Radon posted:

Getting mixed signals here. We have to destroy Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela because of reasons...But a tiny worthless little country that's basically a cult is now our best friend because Cheddar Cheesebrain says so?

Yeah if the leaders of those countries sucked up to Trump a little, they’d be your best friends as well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BigDave posted:

"Sign deals to build stuff currently made in China with the Koreas at reunificaton, with economic incentive packages and all sorts of UN aid. The wall comes down, factories go up, bing bong boom, so simple."

- President Deals, any day now

Two weeks later, communist forces take over parliament and plans for Red Dawn are put into place.

I don't need drugs anymore. The world took all the acid and I'm sick of the bad trip it's taken us on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BigDave posted:

Is it that much better to live permanently under the gun of a nationwide humanitarian crisis that half of America is desperate to paste regardless of the consequences to the region

At what point does a recession become worth it to move past all that

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/JFXM/status/1144300321889574912

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

I didn't think I had the capacity to be surprised any more by this administration, but here we are. That thread is a pro click.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I am very much looking forward to reading this based on that first tweet alone, oh boy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

iKon posted:

I didn't think I had the capacity to be surprised any more by this administration, but here we are. That thread is a pro click.

Grifters gonna grift, con-men gonna con. The entire world is their stage now that they got their orange-skinned god in the White House. Of course the middle-east peace plan would be nothing but an opportunity to line their own pockets. There's human misery there, that's profitable.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

BigDave posted:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If you'd like to point and laugh at Germany some more, it's now looking like it's likely that the 2020 opening of the Berlin-Brandenburg airport (BER) will have to be postponed yet again, probably to 2022.
To explain exactly how this could happen would take too long, so the tl;dr version is: BER was supposed to be the shiny jewel in European commercial air travel shown-off by the recently reunited Germany (yes, "recently", because that's how far back the planning goes), so the supervisory board was stacked with politicians that had no clue how to build an airport. What ensued was a comical amount of incompetence, stupidity, and corruption, it's all there. A perfect storm of stupid.

LOL.

More than ten years.

Edit: The US is still hosed up from the Civil War. Some stains don't ever come out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm sorry, what was our coherent multi-decade policy? :lol:

I'm not applauding Trump but come on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

USA #1?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Live from Portland this weekend, inside the imagination of the conservative id.

NGOTALITY

(Quillette editor was marching with terrorist group Proud Boys invading Portland where they've been known to assault and murder people and intimidate with deadly weapons. He stepped out of the parade to start a fight with someone on the sidewalk and got punched, then shake'd for it. Immediately Malkin started a GoFundMe cuz if you ain't griftin', what's the point?)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

welcome to the Washington Post and NY Times coverage of Bernard Sanders

They hate him more than they hate trump and it's hilarious.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Keep this in mind the next time someone refers to the Washington Post a liberal or left leaning publication.

The MSM is all liberal media they squawk.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 1, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I'm sorry, what was our coherent multi-decade policy? :lol:

I'm not applauding Trump but come on.

How about "Anything but what Trump is doing right now would be a good policy."?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

heads up john oliver talked about this tonight

with a special fun voice guest

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also crusty the main story is on amazon warehouse workers

id be really interested to hear your take on it, if you don't have hbo then it'll be on youtube come morning if you got time for it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you search for John Oliver on YouTube and filter to the last few hours you'll get the whole show. Usually right after it airs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holy poo poo the bear spray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also crusty the main story is on amazon warehouse workers

id be really interested to hear your take on it, if you don't have hbo then it'll be on youtube come morning if you got time for it

I've seen the videos and complaints. A lot of it comes down to management. I worked pick, so I walked a lot. I lost a decent slab of weight when I worked christmas season one year, then three months again for prime day season the following year. Full time is pretty loving miserable during mandatory overtime, because it ramps up to 55-60hrs/wk for a few weeks. Never worked pack, but I imagine that has its own problems. I would average 12 miles a day on ten hour shifts, always kept my pick rate at least 10% expectations.

That was in the South though, where a lot of people applying weren't in condition to walk 2 miles a day, let alone 10+. People dropped like flies. I worked nights, so I wouldn't roast in the summer warehouse heat. I knew how to scheme my scanner and time to be near the exit at break time, managed my urine like an adult. But that was one location and only my experience. I never saw anything shady go on inside either.

It's a warehouse job, they all suck. But I've had worse jobs by far.

E: OOOOHH. I didn't realize when I read your post that it was on last week tonight this week. Watching it in a minute.

E2: E Harder: yeah, they definitely have problems, but like I said, management. poo poo management doesn't care about the human cost. I never encountered bear spray though, or robots. And yeah, it got hot, why do you think I picked night shift? Also, not a great job for 70-somethings. Or 20-somethings who are definitely way more out of shape in reality than in their minds. Walking long distances never really bothered me though, walking beans and de-tasseling corn as a kid saw to that. It's not a job for everyone.

That XPO logistics poo poo doesn't surprise me though. It's not just amazon, but being the biggest garners the most attention.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 1, 2019