Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/JFXM/status/1144300690308816896

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

July current event:

America's Mayor Rudy Giuliani yet again in the news for being bought and paid for by Russian-Ukrainian tycoon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/30/us/politics/ukraine-giuliani-foreign-work.html

Edit: current event #2: today is my birthday, marking one year closer to inevitable death

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arc Light posted:

July current event:

America's Mayor Rudy Giuliani yet again in the news for being bought and paid for by Russian-Ukrainian tycoon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/30/us/politics/ukraine-giuliani-foreign-work.html

Once again it's always projection with these fuckers - re: Giuliani trying to make Biden-Ukraine a thing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Godholio posted:

I'm sorry, what was our coherent multi-decade policy? :lol:

I'm not applauding Trump but come on.

Not this shitshow thats for sure. Smdftb godholio

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FAUXTON posted:

Once again it's always projection with these fuckers - re: Giuliani trying to make Biden-Ukraine a thing.

Maybe one day people will catch on

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Protesters in Hong Kong stormed the legislative assembly and occupied it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.cb64e46715e9

I think this is probably the most dramatic middle finger to the PRC since the handover in 1997.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have no clue what's going on in Hong Kong right now but holy poo poo it's wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhrsPsuh-XA

It's the China Uncensored channel, so if it goes down. Didn't realize it until I heard Chris Chappels voice.

Protesters broke into the legislature building and hung a British Hong Kong flag.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hong Kong protestors tried to storm their legislature.

quote:

HONG KONG — Protesters stormed Hong Kong’s legislature and occupied the complex on Monday night, the anniversary of the semiautonomous territory’s return to Chinese rule, escalating a crisis that is testing Beijing’s grip over the city.

The mostly young demonstrators smashed metal shutters, broke windows and ripped down metal fencing around the Legislative Council, eventually forcing their way into the building where riot police tried to push them back with tear gas. Meanwhile, a massive peaceful march shut down the city’s main thoroughfares — the latest in a string of acts of civil discontent that have rocked the Asian financial hub in recent weeks.

Video broadcast from inside the legislative complex by local television stations showed riot police standing behind metal shutters as protesters repeatedly slammed against them and tried to pry them open. By 9:30 p.m. local time, dozens of demonstators had entered the building and could be seen roaming the complex wearing yellow hard hats and carrying umbrellas. Demonstrators spray-painted graffiti on wood-paneled walls cursing the Hong Kong government. Others emptied the office rooms of chairs and desks. Outside, protesters cheered as more windows and doors were smashed open.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.9b55b884fff1

EDIT: Damnit beaten

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You have a story, at least. I was just casually flipping through youtube.

E: holy poo poo, I didn't realize that dude (chris chappel) was actually in hong kong right now. Usually he's in his matchbox apartment studio or whatever.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 1, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If China rolls in and basically crushes the protest, then ends what remaining autonomy HK had, not only would trump probably do nothing beyond whining on camera but it'd probably make for an interesting slump in real estate investment/purchases assuming HK falls under the tighter SAFE controls they have over most of the mainland. Then again the money would presumably just start flowing out of other special zones instead but I think (and admittedly it's been more than a year since I was regularly dealing with the money laundering risk tied to capital flight) they're not as easy to bypass as HK is.

Third hand, connected people will always have a way and if you're able to buy a million$+ house in Arcadia or Irvine as a cash purchase you're probably connected.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
are we sure trump would really protest

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

are we sure trump would really protest

All China would have to do is rename a reeducation camp "Trump Luxury Villas".

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sheefy McFly arrested by Detroit police — while working on mural for the city

quote:

On Wednesday, artist Sheefy McFly was arrested by two Detroit police officers who believed he was vandalizing a viaduct near 7 Mile and John R on the city’s northeast side.

In fact, 29-year-old McFly was working for the same employer as the police officers — the City of Detroit.

As part of City Walls — a sweeping, multi-year beautification effort to combat illegal graffiti with city-sanctioned artwork — McFly was commissioned to paint a mural at that viaduct in hopes of preventing future vandalism.

As McFly tried to explain the situation to the police, he said more officers arrived with “four or five police cars” on site. And even as a city official showed up to vouch for the artist and spoke with a DPD supervisor, McFly said the situation escalated.

Detroit Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood said the officers found him to be uncooperative with their investigation.

The disagreement led to McFly being arrested for alleged resisting and obstructing police, as well as on an outstanding traffic warrant, said Kirkwood.

Kirkwood added that the resisting and obstructing charge will likely be sent to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office for further review.

McFly said when he walked away to check his bag for his permit, officers tried to detain him, with one of the officers putting her hand on his neck.

“They treated me like a felon even though I was commissioned by the city to do this,” said McFly, who added that he felt “depressed” after being arrested for the first time.

“I felt threatened for my life,” said McFly. “I felt like if I really didn’t keep my composure, they would’ve beat my (expletive).”

McFly said he spent about 24 hours at the nearby Detroit Detention Center before being released, describing the conditions as “horrible.”

“We had to sleep on mats. They didn’t clean any of the cells,” said McFly. “It felt like animals in a cage.”

Woof, glad there were some "good" cops to stop an obvious violation of someone's rights

Imagine if they'd actually arrested a city worker for doing the job he was contracted to do and how bad that would be

Good thing that cops do their best and that no one was even mildly inconvenienced by some fat gently caress's power trip

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Sir, this is a Wendy’s drive thru.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

oh wow so he was charged with making grafitti?

quote:

outstanding traffic warrant

hmmmm

I for one am shocked that noted rational actor professor bling , who encourages people to kill themselves, buried the lede on that one.

quote:

“When we’re doing murals, we have a police lieutenant we work with to make sure surrounding precincts are aware that it’s a city-sponsored program and the artists have permits,” said Dick. “Unfortunately, some random officers who weren’t associated with the nearby precincts drove by and saw him and thought it was an unauthorized action. They stopped him and he didn’t have his permit with him.”

He said other artists working on the project have been questioned by Detroit police in the past, but “there was no issue because they had their credentials,” said Dick.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Further in the article it clarifies it’s unpaid parking tickets.

Also they definitely were pursuing those graffiti charges...

quote:

The Cops ain’t realize they arrested the best Artist in Detroit. The Head of the Graffiti Task Force investigated me and asked what’s my tag name....I said I don’t do Graffiti I sell paintings. I’m a commissioned muralist.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

oh wow so he was charged with making grafitti?

hmmmm

I for one am shocked that noted rational actor professor bling , who encourages people to kill themselves, buried the lede on that one.

How the gently caress is a fuckin traffic warrant "the lede"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

how the gently caress are warrants for unpaid traffic/parking tickets legal? Around here it's considered a civil matter Nd at best they can suspend your license and / or registration.

Which is still horribly regressive against the poor but we can't arrest you.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

How the gently caress is a fuckin traffic warrant "the lede"

because he wasn't actually arrested for painting the mural

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

how the gently caress are warrants for unpaid traffic/parking tickets legal? Around here it's considered a civil matter Nd at best they can suspend your license and / or registration.

Which is still horribly regressive against the poor but we can't arrest you.

Detroit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Smiling Jack posted:

because he wasn't actually arrested for painting the mural

quote:

The disagreement led to McFly being arrested for alleged resisting and obstructing police, as well as on an outstanding traffic warrant, said Kirkwood.

They found the traffic tickets AFTER they detained him for the bullshit charges.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Stultus Maximus posted:

They found the traffic tickets AFTER they detained him for the bullshit charges.

oh thank god it's an eyewitness tell me more

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

you idiots are missing the real issue here which is that you can get arrested for unpaid parking tickets

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

you idiots are missing the real issue here which is that you can get arrested for unpaid parking tickets

SPLC has been fighting on that front heavily.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

SPLC has been fighting on that front heavily.

Good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1145726686589329410?s=20

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Huh, well there are some good officers too you know.

:q:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
We just need some good people to change the culture of CBP from within

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They're literally all garbage

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

holy poo poo 9,500 officers posted about AoC?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

holy poo poo 9,500 officers posted about AoC?

More like "This is what Facebook chat would look like if the SS had Facebook"

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Found a rare Good Shoot

quote:

A Sacramento Police officer was shot and killed after being ambushed while responding to a domestic violence call, officials said Friday. The department has faced criticism because it took 45 minutes to transport rookie Officer Tara O'Sullivan to a hospital, where she later died.

Chief Daniel Hahn released body camera footage late Friday at a news conference. Hahn said the attacker placed four weapons in different rooms of his house and shot them at officers who knocked on his door. The shooting continued for hours.

As officers entered the garage, an officer can be heard saying, "Hello, police department. If you're in here, let me know. You're not in trouble, dude," CBS Sacramento reports. That's when the suspect, Abel Sambrano Ramos, allegedly started firing at them.

O'Sullivan was behind the lead officer and was hit multiple times, police said.  Police retreated to safe positions and determined the tools they had would not be able to withstand gunshots from the suspect's high-powered rifle. As a result, at around 6:30 p.m., police called for an armored vehicle.

Officers said they had difficulty getting the vehicle to O'Sullivan's position because of multiple fences between them and where O'Sullivan was lying. And while police were moving onto the property in the vehicle, the suspect continuously fired at the armored vehicle.

Hahn said Friday that officers couldn't immediately rescue O'Sullivan because the high-powered bullets could have punctured their protective vests, wounding or killing them.

Officers fired back at the suspect while others took O'Sullivan into the vehicle. As they were leaving, the vehicle became disabled and officers put O'Sullivan in a nearby patrol car where a California Highway Patrol officer with medical training tended to O'Sullivan. She was taken by that patrol car to the hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Police say Ramos began talking with crisis negotiators at 10:40 p.m. and eventually surrendered at 1:54 a.m.

Ramos was charged Friday.

Inside Ramos' home, police say they found four guns, two assault rifles, a shotgun and a handgun. Based on the number of shell casings spread throughout the home, police determined all four weapons were used in the standoff. They also found two more weapons in the garage.

Officers will be at the scene of the shooting throughout the weekend, processing evidence.

In all, officers fired more than 100 rounds at Ramos, but police have not determined how many rounds exactly Ramos allegedly fired at officers. They believe he fired at least 30 times at officers over the span of four hours.

The lede the cops buried is that they entered the home with weapons drawn, while saying "you're not in trouble, dude," which, lol

Clear case of self defense. Just loving lol at the use of "ambushed"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Oh gently caress off.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They should seriously ban everyone who applies to wear a uniform for life from actually wearing one and then just fill the positions with people randomly selected from the rest of the population.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HEY LOOK GUYS! I'M APPLAUDING A GUY WHO KILLED A POLICE OFFICER AFTER A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CALL!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Professor Bling posted:

Found a rare Good Shoot

The lede the cops buried is that they entered the home with weapons drawn, while saying "you're not in trouble, dude," which, lol

Oh gently caress off I hope you catch a long probation, edge lord.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Oh gently caress off I hope you catch a long probation, edge lord.

if he didn't catch anything more than a one day probie after telling someone to kill themselves he's probably gonna slide on this also

edit: oh yeah, he also got by with the Dallas reference which is when a mentally ill military veteran killed five cops at a peaceful protest

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 1, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hong Kong protesters are getting tuned up by riot police.

quote:

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong police fired tear gas in running battles with hundreds of protesters, some of whom stormed the legislature, destroyed pictures and daubed walls with graffiti, on the anniversary of the city’s 1997 return to Chinese rule on Monday.

Police arrived by bus and moved into position as about a thousand protesters, furious at a proposed law allowing extraditions to China, gathered around the Legislative Council building in the heart of the former British colony’s financial district.

Police fired several rounds of tear gas as protesters held up umbrellas to protect themselves or fled. Plumes of smoke billowed across major thoroughfares and in between some of the world’s tallest skyscrapers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-idUSKCN1TV0YE

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

Found a rare Good Shoot

You're a sick gently caress my dude. gently caress off forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

BigDave posted:

Hong Kong protesters are getting tuned up by riot police.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-idUSKCN1TV0YE

Wonder if China is gonna import mainland shock troops.

HK police used to be pretty professional but supposedly the mainland govt has pretty ruthlessly eliminated anyone not "politically reliable" over the last few years.