Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Hey here's a stupid question.

Will I really see any adverse effects if I run two different brand rotors on the rear of my car?
Amazon sent me one, refunded the other and tells me its 3 to 5 months before they will restock now. There's another brand for the same price so will it wreck my poo poo if I do this? I'm guessing there's no harm but someone might have some science and numbers that say not to do this.

Almost certainly made in the same factory. No problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd send back the other one and buy 2 of the same brand. I've no doubt they're the same but it's Amazon's screw up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Hey here's a stupid question.

Will I really see any adverse effects if I run two different brand rotors on the rear of my car?
Amazon sent me one, refunded the other and tells me its 3 to 5 months before they will restock now. There's another brand for the same price so will it wreck my poo poo if I do this? I'm guessing there's no harm but someone might have some science and numbers that say not to do this.

If they are made out of different materials and are slotted/vented different, maybe. If you're getting one at the same price and they optically look the same, the chances are excellent they literally came from the same factory anyhow. I'd run with it assuming you are running the same pads.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
A rotor should just be a hunk of metal. I'd be more concerned about the pads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone is so mean to fridge corn :ohdear:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I like the hyper specific and bougie mechanic pics. I ain't seeing that kinda poo poo every day, yo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

I'd send back the other one and buy 2 of the same brand. I've no doubt they're the same but it's Amazon's screw up.

This ended up being the most cost effective solution. Scored two blanks for $39 shipped.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Rhyno posted:

This ended up being the most cost effective solution. Scored two blanks for $39 shipped.

I hope that they’re literal blanks with no stud holes :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferremit posted:

RUDE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dinner tonight: Strip steaks with a Madeira and black truffle mushroom sauce

Slice about 2 cups of mushrooms with a bit of garlic and butter. Cook until mushrooms are browned

Add about 3/4-1 cup of full bodied Madeira wine, reduce until about 1/4 original volume remains (blurry I know)

Add 1-3/4 to 2 cups of beefstock and a couple teaspoons of cornstarch and tomato paste to thicken/give further body

Heat to boiling for a minute or two until starts to thicken, then add about 5-6 teaspoons of black truffle salsa/sauce

In the meantime, start on the proteins. In this case, a fairly basic strip steak

Grill and sear it and and serve with sauce liberally put on top - add more as you go (Not in photo - token green poo poo). However, in Potato that is hot as lava, cheddar cheese, healthy amount of sour cream and real bacon bits.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KillHour posted:

Everyone is so mean to fridge corn :ohdear:

I used to just be a massively annoying troll itt so its understandable tbh

I just got bored of it and stopped posting like that (mostly) a while ago

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

gently caress me, that looks good!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

freelop posted:

Watched the first 2 episodes of Good Omens and it's very good so far. It's stayed very faithful to the books.
We wrapped this up last night. Some really good additions the duo through the ages but I did miss some of the stuff that didn't make the cut biker gang. Overall really enjoyed it. Now I'm itching to go back and re-read the book for probably the 5th time.

meatpimp posted:

All your heat went to Tennessee.
It did, the last week or so has been miserable. It's dropped to comfortable 80's now which is very appreciated.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

bolind posted:

gently caress me, that looks good!

Oh, it was. It was. I'm not usually a big sauce guy, but god drat does that taste good on beef. Even a burger.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

I've been trying to find a pair of worn out 35x12.5s for measurement, and i've discovered there is NOBODY more delusional than people trying to sell used tires.

Cords showing is 50% tread, good for 2 more summers, $75% of new price

meanwhile I just scrapped a set of 10 ply 275/70R18s at 8/32" after a year of them sitting on kijiji. Even at ':10bux: or trade for a 6-pack' nobody fuckin wanted em.

Powershift posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of a cheap BEAMS/6 speed from the local JDM place.

ftfy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOOEH9hQfM

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

How else you gonna fit those 5 stud rotors on your 4 stud junker?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I used to just be a massively annoying troll itt so its understandable tbh

I just got bored of it and stopped posting like that (mostly) a while ago

I'm just naturally massively annoying.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

KillHour posted:

Your cautionary tale of supercar ownership has been very helpful though!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

KillHour posted:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm a week late, but a reminder: Bad Obsession posted another of their behind the scenes videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ6eNj-IzQ

This time they're making a lift!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I’ve been missing the June chat thread for two days. That is shameful.

Corn is good. Both as a grain and poster. I’m also known for probably having bad opinions but I’m not gonna change for you nerds.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had to wait forever to pull into pro parking at Lowes, because all the "I need a truck for TRUCK STUFF!" bros were busy loading a single 2x4 and a stick of 1/2 PVC into their F250s, meanwhile the Danger Ranger is hauling 1600 lbs of concrete, and a load of lumber strapped on garbage to re-frame part of my house and build a deck. Look at that stance in the rear :discourse:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 3, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One of the delivery companies I contract with does Home Depot same-day deliveries. We have a specific weight limit, and we can turn down deliveries if they exceed that limit - but you have to text or call dispatch. Their driver app WILL NOT let you move on to the next task until they've removed it (and when they do that, you wind up not getting paid for the time or mileage driving to the store) - they might take 2 minutes, they might take 5 loving hours, they might not even fix it until a day or two later :fuckoff: (my record is 3 days). I can't count how many times I've wound up with my car completely bottomed out from 1000+ pounds of cement in the trunk and back seat, then sent to pick up 5 or 6 cases of copy paper from Office Depot on top of that before dropping off the cement. Or how many times I've had to haul a water heater, or fully assembled grill, or or or or... well a lot more poo poo that I'm really not supposed to carry to a passenger car. This particular delivery company gives ZERO fucks. The only reason I can haul this kind of poo poo is because I don't have a B pillar; thus, much easier to load the Satshit.

If a loving SATURN COUPE that's lost about half of its ponies since it left the factory can do that poo poo, you're failing at driving at driving even a 1980 Chevy Luv.

I think I had at least 3000 lbs of sandbags in my F-150 at one point (1980, 351M, C6 auto - slow as hell when empty) - my hometown tends to flood badly when the skies really open up, and back then you could just go to specified areas and get sandbags (I think I had to go to the local army base? it's been so long I don't remember). The front tires were barely on the ground, and sandbags were piled almost to the roof of the bed cap (your 70s/80s style bed cap, not a tonneau cover). "Sketchy" didn't begin to describe handling, and I'm sure a 240D Merc would have been able to outrun me if they were at half throttle. I couldn't get over about 40 MPH, WOT, that night, and stopping was more of a prayer than anything. It DID make it to my parents office (water at their front door was almost waist deep at the worst), and we got the sandbags piled up high enough to allow only minor flooding (a few inches of water in their office when it was 3+ feet high at the door - most of it seemed under the walls). Side note: some jackass hauled rear end past the overhead door of their office doing at least 40 during that flood, and caused the overhead door to completely cave in, basically loving all efforts to save the contents inside. Parents owned a carpet cleaning company at the time, and there were rugs inside that were worth $10k+....

Carolla update (if I get this car, it'll be named Adam Carolla, because I can't stand him) - friend stuck a trickle charger on it today. Found a mouse nest under the hood, but it was on top of the engine cover. Nothing under the cover. Apparently has an aftermarket alarm that was pretty easy to disable (it has the factory key fobs, why would someone put an aftermarket shitshow in it?! he said the hazards started flashing and it started giving a very weak siren as soon as he hooked up the trickle charger - he got it to stop pretty easily once I described what a valet switch looks like). He hasn't been able to start it (because :laffo: 3 amp trickle charger on a battery that's been completely dead for 3 years), but it shows signs of life when turning the key (dash lights barely light up, gauges twitch; no odometer or radio, everything dies if you touch a window switch... but he said all of the lights were very dim + seat belt beeper/key in beeper were very weak anyway; tl;dr the battery is FUKT).

I'm probably heading up to DFW in a week or two anyway; parents have quite the honey-do list that they can't afford to pay for (one of which will be ripping out their shitbox sprinkler controller and putting in an internet-connected one, since stepdad doesn't believe in changing the backup battery and VERY much believes in unplugging the drat thing to charge his weed whacker), close friend also has an AC that she can't afford to get fixed (gently caress slumlords that force all repairs onto the tenant - from what she said it probably just needs a cap - I'm half tempted to walk up to her landlord's door and say "catch" with the old cap [I'm not that stupid, her landlord has a billion cameras around his house]). I expect stepdad to have a couple of strokes when he finds out how much an IP-connected sprinkler controller will run, and a second stroke when I say I need to either run ethernet to the garage or at least throw in a wifi extender (I have bulk Cat5E, wall plates, keystones, etc... so it's just materials until he pisses me off, at which point I start billing $150/hr, rounded to whole hours, as a gently caress you fee). I'M NOT TECH SUPPORT FUCKER, I REFUSE TO DEAL WITH THIS poo poo UNLESS I CAN DIRECTLY ACCESS IT GODDAMNIT. I am NOT helping your dumbass reprogram an 18 year old sprinkler controller that I've been trying to get you to replace for over a loving decade, and I'm sure as gently caress not gonna explain (again, after a decent rain) why poo poo won't work when there's been a rain sensor directly in-line with everything for 15 years.

YES I KNOW YOU'RE ALL SCREAMING TO RUN AWAY FROM THE COROLLA. 0% APR owner finance when you have terrible credit is hard to say no to, damnit, so it's still getting a hard look.

Why no, I haven't had a super lovely day, why do you ask?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 3, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm on team Corolla, it sounds okay, it runs, 4 years is not enough to destroy all the seals and rubber bits, even in Texas, and especially if run occasionally. If you say it's a very good price for your area I believe you because you're... thorough. 0% APR is hard to turn down too.

The Ranger has the i4, it does not accelerate quickly, especially when loaded down, the 5 speed helps a little.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm leaning toward Corolla, but I know I'm gonna need to dump a bunch of money into it (I'm budgeting about $1k; a lot less if it can be safely driven with the current tires, but that's just deferring the inevitable for maybe a month). I'm going into it knowing this. I've also had to deal with rodent-damaged engine harnesses before (on my last car and on my mother's car); so long as you have a decent meter and tools, it's not the end of the world (but I'll be teaching the neighborhood a lot of new ways to cuss while I trace everything, and I'll have to get a tracer again).

That 0% owner finance is the biggest reason I'm considering it. I have poo poo for credit (a bunch of really old stuff [10+ years old] got re-aged and popped back up even though they don't have a current phone # for me - I've been very careful to keep all accounts tied to an old Google Voice number, so at least my phone doesn't blow up all day). I keep disputing, but it pops back up within a few weeks. My GF is willing to cosign (she has a credit score well into the 800s, and has had the same employer for over 15 years), but I make more than she does. Once you look at her monthly expenses vs income, banks realize she shouldn't be able to sign for even a $500 personal loan.

My stepdad cosigned on a Sallie MaeBitch loan; I'm not going to ask him to cosign on anything else until that's paid off (and again... like GF, he has a perfect credit score, but really doesn't make a whole lot - I think he's pulling $45k or so as an assistant manager for a well known drug store chain, and that's after ~20 years of working there). Mom's credit is decent (bankruptcy about 5 yrs ago where she got over 100k wiped out - she couldn't work for a few years thanks to hip issues) (she's in the low 700s), but the income comes into play again. My (blood) father has a literal perfect credit score; he pulls drat near 1/2M a year if not more, but won't cosign for even my stepmother.

tl;dr: rock, is that you? I wanna introduce you to this hard place

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 3, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope the Corolla works out, ditto the new job so you can stop killing yourself with this gig economy stuff.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I hope the Corolla works out. Mostly so you have a reliable shitbox, but also so we can be e120 Corolla buddies :hfive:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You already know what to look for on a car that's sat, and I agree that I don't think a Corolla of that vintage will have experienced as much seal dry rot as an older car. Go for it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol we have 8-10 weeks of summer like weather left and its currently 52 outside

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol we have 8-10 weeks of summer like weather left and its currently 52 outside

57 here. Chilly enough to keep my rear end inside for the rest of the day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A game: one car via magic

So here is the ad for a local dealer out of a Canadian 1985 newspaper that a genie shows you. The genie (it's complecated) says he will go back in time and deliver you the car you want to buy, according to these rules:

1. You can buy one car
2. You are buying it sight unseen
3. You have to pay the asking price (the genie finds bargaining tedious)
4. The asking price will be transmuted to the 2019 value via inflation (the genie probably could get around this, but apparently this is a much bigger ask than time travel and returning car-sized objects to the present)

So, which one car would you buy?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
VW bus or impala are probably the better investments but in my heart I know I want the bitchin’ Camaro!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Signet.

So, goofy weird dude at work that I had the tiff with has been having a really rough couple of weeks. He's been raving about how excited he is for the new Godzilla flick and when going through my crap I found a Godzilla bank I'd forgotten about so I gave it to him on friday. Today the guys on his shift told me how he was happier than they'd seen him in months, just all smiles and laughter. So that made me feel good. Hopefully when he snaps and shoots up the building he will spare me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Honda Wagon, 100%

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Home made truck camper

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

VW bus or impala are probably the better investments but in my heart I know I want the bitchin’ Camaro!

I was all about the Camaro until I saw 6cyl. That thing is a loving turd.

I'd do one of the squarebodies, easily. If they're actually clean and original, even asking price x 1.5 for inflation would be a solid deal compared to buying those same trucks today.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Iron Duke-powered Spirit is right in my wheelhouse (I've owned two).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how it's June in AZ and we still aren't hitting consistent 100+ degree days yet.

I'm not melting in TX yet, but I heard Cicadas in the trees the other night, so it's summer as far as I'm concerned.
It has been humid as hell, though, and has rained like every week. A lot. Like "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" a lot.

As far as long-distance driving, longest I've done is ferry an off-lease car back to Dallas, TX from Phoenix, AZ. They flew me out, and I drove a '90s Olds Cutlass Ciera a little over 1,000 miles. Took me about 20 hours. I wasn't hurrying, I stopped at a rest stop in New Mexico to sleep (started driving at about 5 PM Friday, after work and after flying out to Phoenix), and the national speed limit was still 55 at the time. I found out it had a cassette deck, so I took my big organized of cassettes with me to keep me company.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A game: one car via magic

So here is the ad for a local dealer out of a Canadian 1985 newspaper that a genie shows you. The genie (it's complecated) says he will go back in time and deliver you the car you want to buy, according to these rules:

1. You can buy one car
2. You are buying it sight unseen
3. You have to pay the asking price (the genie finds bargaining tedious)
4. The asking price will be transmuted to the 2019 value via inflation (the genie probably could get around this, but apparently this is a much bigger ask than time travel and returning car-sized objects to the present)

So, which one car would you buy?

None. They are all Canadian, and therefore contain rust. I *might* pay the 1985 price *without* inflation on a few. The '68 Dart would probably be worth the inflation price, and the VW van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The VW van would yield a tidy profit in this scenario so I'd go with that