Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Making blanket statements about any race isn't okay.

The French Grand Prix is never entertaining. The drivers are too willing to abuse track limits because there are no consequences, and it becomes 100% about the car and 0% about the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Making blanket statements about any race isn't okay.

Okay but white people are terrible. Have you seen how we dress?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

I cut my FB usage by 75%. Took the app off my phone and my brain is so much healthier. But on weekends off at 2am I had nothing better to do so I did some catching up on distant friends lives and got sucked into some silly crap.

Literally anything, including sleep, would be a better use of your time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Powershift posted:

The French Grand Prix is never entertaining. The drivers are too willing to abuse track limits because there are no consequences, and it becomes 100% about the car and 0% about the driver.

I laughed at this. Thank you.

Rhyno posted:

Okay but white people are terrible. Have you seen how we dress?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I got reconnected with a former friend and turns out he's still the same lovely person he was a decade ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Literally anything, including sleep, would be a better use of your time.

Look, I can only jerk off so many times in one night.

mariooncrack posted:

Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I got reconnected with a former friend and turns out he's still the same lovely person he was a decade ago.

That sucks man, my life improved tremendously by severing ties with a few dozen people.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I would sever ties with lovely people, but poking holes in their flawed worldviews and flat out false assertions brings me a weird, depraved sense of pleasure and superiority.

Tldr I guess I love making fun of idiots and making them look dumb.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Why else would it need 2 axles? :shrug:

e:

heh heh heh

That is some serious hotness. Now just imagine JPS Group A livery and I think we have perfection

KakerMix posted:

Social media as a whole is terrible and bad so stick to SA and stop everything else.

I dropped Facebook usage in the last year (I refuse to use Twatter or Instaspam or whatever the gently caress else) and honestly.... best idea. Social media is a loving poison on society.

Yes I have had a priaprism for over four hours, why is that an issue?

(427 with a Whipple S/C under the bonnet)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I enjoy it when Cat and Kastein encounter my one super Republican friend on FB. Always amusing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

I found some fairly inexpensive covered 12' x 40' parking in a gated / video surveillance storage place. Tarp or car cover chat: should I bother, would they hurt more than they help? I don't have any covered parking at home, and out of the 6 Japanese cars 3 I am especially worried about keeping the paint nice. My main desire for covers at the storage lot if I rent there is to hide them from prying eyes.

Just buy some cheap car covers. They keep the dust/spider poop off at the least.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quick reminder that SA is social media too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, not really. We're pretty anti social.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Rhyno posted:

So are Twitter and Facebook :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lol, somebody wasted :10bux: and it's not even clever.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I woulda make a joke about putting a 6-71 on yo shitposting machine.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Someone with poor taste didn't like your hastily-'shopped Lincolncheros

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah that's pretty lame. I would have gone for "Truckfuckling Weirdo".

and I would wear that with pride

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Had a lovely past couple of days. My folks (mom and step father) always visit us this time of year for my moms Birthday, just a tradition. They arrived Weds afternoon. Thursday my wife and I go to work and they go out to do some shopping. Dad starts feeling really uncomfortable and not well - get's home and discovers he has a hernia sticking out around his navel. Interestingly, this happened last year when they visited before. Feels a bit better as the day goes on so he doesn't go to the hospital. However, Thursday night was not good and slid into feeling much worse.

Friday AM, goes to the hospital emergency. Doctors try to physically push it back in. Super painful and it's not going in. Get an X-ray and appears to be a blockage which sort of explains the problem, but added bonus, the xray captures a mass on his lung. They order a CT scan. Starts drinking contrasting agent, can't keep it down and projectile vomits it (which I'm sure feels great with a hernia). However they are able to do the scan and it confirms the obstruction and also confirms a 9x12CM mass in his lung. Great.

Long story short, they have to do emergency surgery but don't like the idea of him going under due to the mass on his lung, but have no choice. Do some basic testing for lung performance, which he passes to their satisfaction and he's wheeled off to the OR.

Good news, hernia surgery goes off without a hitch @ 7PM Friday. Hole approx a finger tip wide. Opened it slightly more, examined the intestine, seemed healthy so they pushed it back in. Old fucker gets discharged @ 10AM yesterday and he's home yesterday morning and is eating pizza in the afternoon feeling like a million bucks.

However, read the report and the radiologist forwarded to his doctor and thoracic surgeon and says the mass high suspicious of malignancy. So he'll probably be going under the knife again in a couple weeks as they need to get a firm idea on the mass.

Lifetime smoker although he did stop cold turkey 4 years ago.

And I slept absolutely terribly last night. Maybe 2-3 hours tops. Too hot in the bedroom and my back is absolutely killing me.

Don't smoke people.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Had a fun night - the good, saw CHVRCHES up close (ow my ears, out of concert practice and forgot ear protection, welp):

Beautiful night and a good show. Started raining during their final song and we got a beautiful sunset.

And as we had child care lined up for the evening, stayed at the Brown Palace:

However Denver had torn up one of the main drags downtown for paving and I tagged a water grate pretty hard:

Welp. That didn’t take long. They’re forged ... maybe can be repaired? Should have taken the Land Cruiser into unknown territory, lesson learned. Wife and I had a fun night regardless.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 30, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Antisocial implies that you're problematically antagonistic and have problems with authority

My psychologist suggests that I use asocial to describe the aversion to human interaction

Problematically antagonistic actually is pretty accurate sometimes...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yikes. Get well soon, stepdad. Feelin' ya on the "too hot to sleep" front.

The Door Frame posted:

Antisocial implies that you're problematically antagonistic and have problems with authority

Welp

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

Good news, hernia surgery goes off without a hitch @ 7PM Friday. Hole approx a finger tip wide. Opened it slightly more, examined the intestine, seemed healthy so they pushed it back in. Old fucker gets discharged @ 10AM yesterday and he's home yesterday morning and is eating pizza in the afternoon feeling like a million bucks.

However, read the report and the radiologist forwarded to his doctor and thoracic surgeon and says the mass high suspicious of malignancy. So he'll probably be going under the knife again in a couple weeks as they need to get a firm idea on the mass.

:(
Hopefully it's something manageable. Good to hear that the hernia-operation went well though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks.

Ironically, if he didn't have the hernia who knows how long it would have been for them to detect the mass. It isn't tiny, but since it wasn't giving him any symptoms... can breathe fine, not coughing blood or anything, exercises fine, hopefully early enough to deal with it.

As a Canadian we like to bitch and moan about our healthcare system and how sometimes it takes a while for some services, but in an emergency I've got no complaints.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Thanks.

Ironically, if he didn't have the hernia who knows how long it would have been for them to detect the mass. It isn't tiny, but since it wasn't giving him any symptoms... can breathe fine, not coughing blood or anything, exercises fine, hopefully early enough to deal with it.

As a Canadian we like to bitch and moan about our healthcare system and how sometimes it takes a while for some services, but in an emergency I've got no complaints.

They best thing Klein did for healthcare in Alberta was start everyone towards putting hospitals under a unified administration. I work adjacent to healthcare (x-ray service) and I've seen them take enormous strides in so many different areas. The experience in an Alberta Emergency room is not what is was 12 years ago when moms were having miscarriages in waiting rooms, but it sounds like it's better than a lot of provinces get.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Now I see why work can't keep anyone in frozen. There's 5 of us there. And the rumor mill is loving strong. I had someone confront me about a joke I made on my day off while shopping in the store; I jokingly said "oh, guess I should call off tomorrow" when a coworker mentioned we had 3 pallets of ice cream coming in, and the person I said that to understood it was a joke. That was a week ago. Apparently someone else within earshot didn't take it that way.

He confronted me early this morning and said he's going to be really pissed if I call off this Friday. I explained "not only was that a joke, it was a joke made on my day off, while shopping, as a customer. OVER A WEEK AGO. I don't call in unless I have liquid coming out of both ends." He also got bitchy about me sitting on the floor to stock the bottom shelves instead of kneeling. My knees and ankles can't handle being on my knees for extended times, and it's much easier (and faster) for me to get up from stocking those bottom shelves if I sit on the floor with my legs crossed. I found the latter part out from another coworker (the only other frozen employee in his 40s - he does the same thing because he needs knee surgery, same person gets bitchy with him about it). I have knee pads (nice ones with gel), but they only do so much.

I forgot how strong the rumor mill was in retail. :cripes: I'm just not gonna say anything to him at all except for stuff directly related to the task at hand, and make sure he's not within earshot during personal conversations. He acts like he's a manager when he's not. The guy in his 40s is welcome to act like a manager; he's been there since the store opened, the only reason he isn't is because he doesn't speak much English (he speaks enough for us to communicate, and I've found myself breaking down requests from the dept manager into simpler terms for him, or sometimes using Google Translate to translate to/from Portuguese).

Amazing how one person can change my opinion of a place so quickly. I don't want to stir up anything, but I much prefer dry grocery vs frozen. More opportunity for extra hours there anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If he's not your boss, not a manager, i.e. a co worker tell him to mind his business. If he persists tell him to gently caress off.

Otherwise, he will continue to be up your rear end, there's nothing worse than co workers who think they can be your boss, you have to nip that poo poo in the bud asap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tremek posted:

Had a fun night - the good, saw CHVRCHES up close (ow my ears, out of concert practice and forgot ear protection, welp):

Beautiful night and a good show.

They're so fun in concert, just ridiculously high energy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

STR posted:

Now I see why work can't keep anyone in frozen. There's 5 of us there. And the rumor mill is loving strong. I had someone confront me about a joke I made on my day off while shopping in the store; I jokingly said "oh, guess I should call off tomorrow" when a coworker mentioned we had 3 pallets of ice cream coming in, and the person I said that to understood it was a joke. That was a week ago. Apparently someone else within earshot didn't take it that way.

He confronted me early this morning and said he's going to be really pissed if I call off this Friday. I explained "not only was that a joke, it was a joke made on my day off, while shopping, as a customer. OVER A WEEK AGO. I don't call in unless I have liquid coming out of both ends." He also got bitchy about me sitting on the floor to stock the bottom shelves instead of kneeling. My knees and ankles can't handle being on my knees for extended times, and it's much easier (and faster) for me to get up from stocking those bottom shelves if I sit on the floor with my legs crossed. I found the latter part out from another coworker (the only other frozen employee in his 40s - he does the same thing because he needs knee surgery, same person gets bitchy with him about it). I have knee pads (nice ones with gel), but they only do so much.

I forgot how strong the rumor mill was in retail. :cripes: I'm just not gonna say anything to him at all except for stuff directly related to the task at hand, and make sure he's not within earshot during personal conversations. He acts like he's a manager when he's not. The guy in his 40s is welcome to act like a manager; he's been there since the store opened, the only reason he isn't is because he doesn't speak much English (he speaks enough for us to communicate, and I've found myself breaking down requests from the dept manager into simpler terms for him, or sometimes using Google Translate to translate to/from Portuguese).

Amazing how one person can change my opinion of a place so quickly. I don't want to stir up anything, but I much prefer dry grocery vs frozen. More opportunity for extra hours there anyway.
Yeah like was said, does he have authority? If not just do the equivalent "lol whatever dude" and leave it at that. He's the insecure weirdo, make him hoist that burden.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I did the opposite, I responded to everything with "yes boss" or "no boss". Which seems to offend him. But he's acting like a boss, so I'm going to call him boss. And MOST of the time, I use "boss" as a sign of respect. Unless I'm using it sarcastically.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If he's not the boss, he shouldn't be acting like the boss.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Man forget that dude STR

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Exactly. But I'm the lowest guy on the totem pole, I don't want to go bitching to actual boss a month into working there. Hence why I'm using the sarcastic version of "YOU GOT IT BOSS" and basically ignoring him.

I only work with him 1 night a week right now, so that's a help. The guy who's been there forever respectfully asks me to help him or to go work on another aisle. I'm fine with that. That dude knows his poo poo, he's been there literally since the store opened. He genuinely deserves to be promoted, but won't be because of his (lack of) English.

I'm supposed to have a 30 day review next week. I plan to bring up the constant "hey can you go do this?" from other coworkers or lifetime-poor-English-speaking dude, followed immediately by "wtf are you doing" from dickhead. If it comes down to it, I can always throw out the diabetes card and how keeping my hands in a -20F freezer is bad for my circulation, and request accommodation for my disability (the accommodation I'd request would just be getting moved to dry grocery, which I'm much faster at anyway).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 30, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just avoid his bullshit for now and once you actually get promoted above him lord that poo poo over him every loving day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He had the balls to ask why I was still on the clock... while he was off the clock, out of uniform, and doing his shopping, 30 minutes after he clocked out.

"I'm working, sir. May I help you find something? :v:" (my dept manager asked if I could stay late to throw 3 pallets of water) (and I got NO problem staying late while I'm PT, I'm gonna end the week with 38 hours, and the longer I average over 32 hours a week, the faster I get an automatic conversion to FT whether they want to authorize it or not)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember when I first started working security at the resort, and there was an older grounds guy that would try to get me to do his job. "you're just standing around so why don't you help with the trash" I laughed and said that's what I'm paid to do, is stand around. "but youre not doing anything" at that point I was like just get the hell away from me, if you have a problem with me take it up with management. He did and they reminded him what his job was, and what my job was, and not to bother me anymore. He was fired not long after that :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

People are weird and petty about the strangest things.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Binky is live for us plebs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtLmuTgYTZw

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

...in COLOUR.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tremek posted:

I saw them here on their first tour, they were amazing. Bought tickets for me and my daughter to see them last time they came to the Ogden, and they sold out two shows, but the power went out and we waited till 9:45 before just walking out. Never found out if they even played or not. I would have liked to see them again but I hate festival type shows where half the people aren't in to whoever's playing and just have loud drunk conversations while waiting for their band.

On the above subject of severing ties, I kind of pride myself on having not a lot of friends but the ones I have are gold, the kind who would step in front of a train for you. I had to sever ties with my welding buddy a few weeks ago though, because he won't grow up. He's 33 and drifts between living at home and being homeless when he gets in a fight with his dad who kicks him out. He works jobs until he calls in sick (hung over) too many times. But the worst is that he has no judgement so drinking is a huge problem. Last time we drank together he comandeered my computer and played trance songs super loud for like 2 hours when we had planned to watch a movie. At 11 PM he realized he was sobering up and declared he needed more booze. It was a work night so I was about to kick him out, and I told him he was cut off. He started rifling through my kitchen demanding I serve him. When I refused, he sat down on my couch pouting and then passed out.

Next time we hung out I told him in no uncertain terms that our days of drinking together are over. I love talking cars with him and watching movies with him, and doing projects together (I make flanges that he gets waterjet for custom exhaust stuff) but he's no fun when he's drunk, he's either belligerent or he passes out. So that lasted all of 2 weeks when he decided the workaround was to just show up at my place already drunk. The worst part was that I didn't figure it out until we were on our way to dinner in his car. He proceeded to talk super loud through dinner, ordered a full serving of sake and was absolutely hammered at the end of dinner. Like he tried to scoop his leftovers into the to go box and a lot of it ended up on the table.

First time in my life I've ever asked someone for their keys. At first he was belligerent as expected, he actually said "No! I drive!" in a fake whiny baby voice that is meant to be a joke, but the good part is that he immediately realized that the night was about to go sideways if he didn't cave. So I drove back to my place and he immediately passed out on the couch. I let him sober up and then kicked him out, and I haven't heard from him since. Sucks to lose my welding buddy, he was very good and now I have to find someone else or pay people to weld my poo poo.

On a more positive note, my daughter just turned 17 this week and it's an eerie age. Like we think of 18 as the big milestone but in truth it's really 17. I wanted to make my daughter a playlist but almost every song I could find is about how 17 year olds are hot party girls and the singer wants to get in their pants. Even the Beatles "She was just 17... you know what I mean. *wink*

Now for the positive part. She's getting competent at driving and it's pretty cute.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Sucks to lose my welding buddy, he was very good and now I have to find someone else or pay people to weld my poo poo.

It's not good to make and keep friends based on what they can do for you tho, I've never understood people that do that poo poo.

If you wouldn't have been his friend if he didn't weld really good and free, you probably should have never been his friend to begin with, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not good to make and keep friends based on what they can do for you tho, I've never understood people that do that poo poo.

If you wouldn't have been his friend if he didn't weld really good and free, you probably should have never been his friend to begin with, no?

That's pretty loving judge-y