Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's not good to make and keep friends based on what they can do for you tho, I've never understood people that do that poo poo.

If you wouldn't have been his friend if he didn't weld really good and free, you probably should have never been his friend to begin with, no?

LloydDobler posted:

On the above subject of severing ties, I kind of pride myself on having not a lot of friends but the ones I have are gold, the kind who would step in front of a train for you.
(...)
I love talking cars with him and watching movies with him, and doing projects together (I make flanges that he gets waterjet for custom exhaust stuff) but he's no fun when he's drunk

Sounds like there was some genuine friendship there, and welder guy has slipped into a bad spot with the bottle which pushed the friendship into that strictly-exchanging-favors kind of place.

I'd put an emphasis on getting help in any future communications but otherwise I wouldn't blame you for letting that line go dead at least until buddy gets straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's not good to make and keep friends based on what they can do for you tho, I've never understood people that do that poo poo.

If you wouldn't have been his friend if he didn't weld really good and free, you probably should have never been his friend to begin with, no?

I can see how you got that from what you quoted but it's not like that at all. I would design parts and reverse engineer flanges for him to weld and make money. It was mutual. In fact, I probably did more labor for him than he did for me over our 10 year friendship. We met at work and our love of cars, movies and music made us friends. We were hanging out to watch a movie on both nights I mentioned.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 30, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Powershift: still a windbag

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Powershift: still a windbag

Yup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I can see how you got that from what you quoted but it's not like that at all. I would design parts and reverse engineer flanges for him to weld and make money. It was mutual. In fact, I probably did more labor for him than he did for me over our 10 year friendship. We met at work and our love of cars, movies and music made us friends. We were hanging out to watch a movie on both nights I mentioned.

Ok gotcha. It's just that I've known people that base friendships on a what-can-you-do-for-me basis and it irks me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ok gotcha. It's just that I've known people that base friendships on a what-can-you-do-for-me basis and it irks me.

It's so much worse when it's family,.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

It's so much worse when it's family,.

Yep. Especially when they "keep score", never understood that poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

How does someone get so butthurt over Powershift?

slibebite -- best wishes on a good outcome there, that's a lot for a visit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I don't know, I'm adorable :3:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yep. Especially when they "keep score", never understood that poo poo.

My father does this.

He's been doing some work at my grandmother's house on and off since 2016 and it turned out he's been keeping elaborate logs of his time and activity there. To what end, nobody knows.

Then last summer my brother (he currently lives with my parents while attending firefighter/EMT training) found this little gem:

He broke his lot down into sectors/zones, and keeps a detailed log of how many times he's mowed each zone.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Dagen H posted:

Someone with poor taste didn't like your hastily-'shopped Lincolncheros

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Do these people just not have real problems to deal with?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

QuarkMartial posted:

Do these people just not have real problems to deal with?

They are the problems.

:colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm just over here FUMIN' about cab overs

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KakerMix posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

I don't know, I'm adorable :3:

Not quite as adorable as a kitten but eh. Anyone who blends an E30 M3 into a Cossie is good in my book.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Joke's on them, I'ma just go harder and dumber.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Need to start with the Harold and Maude car.

And you need to start the July chat thread with your work. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

This but it's one of those "I'm MAD about X" custom titles.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Should I borrow money from my parents to buy a 432 ft2 trailer in a park in Ocala?

Yes. Yes I should.

meatpimp posted:

you need to start the July chat thread with your work. :getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Should I borrow money from my parents to buy a 432 ft2 trailer in a park in Ocala?

Yes. Yes I should.

And leave Ohio? :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Another winter and I may slit my wrists. I'm not fuckin' joking.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Need to start with the Harold and Maude car.

And you need to start the July chat thread with your work. :getin:

okay i did one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893001

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dagen H posted:

Ocala is in the heart of North/Central Redneckistan. Good luck :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beach Bum posted:

He's in the Ohio equivalent. He'll fit right in.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What he said

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Beach Bum posted:

I lived in an even more redneckistan part of North FL and it was fuckin awesome and fun with tons of cool people. I'd move back in a second if I didn't live on a property that is 90% garage/10% living space car guy heaven (just need a lift soon).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

I lived in an even more redneckistan part of North FL and it was fuckin awesome and fun with tons of cool people. I'd move back in a second if I didn't live on a property that is 90% garage/10% living space car guy heaven (just need a lift soon).

Oh there's a lot to be said for that kind of lifestyle, if it's your thing. It seems to be a very polar love/hate thing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Oh there's a lot to be said for that kind of lifestyle, if it's your thing. It seems to be a very polar love/hate thing.

I live a bit south of there in Brooksville/Spring Hill. Its perfect for me. I'm around an hour out from tons of good beaches, nightlife, etc. I'm 15 minutes from world class saltwater fishing, an hour from multiple world class freshwater fisheries, tons of gorgeous camping opportunities and I can get away from civilization very, very quickly if I want. Its redneck as gently caress, but uh... at least it ain't pasco county?

Edit: And for fun, its a decently AI area. You've got Gainesville to the north with the gator nationals, Ocala has jumbolair which hosts some top speed racing shenanigans a couple times a year and has the don garlits drag racing museum up there. A run to Orlando gives you orlando speed world with regular drifting events and Formula D once a year. Somewhere out by starke you have the F.I.R.M. which is some sort of fancy motorsports track with rally poo poo and other racing.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 1, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Powershift posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dagen H posted:

Ocala is actually pretty nice, if i wanted to live in a warm climate BFE that's where I'd go. there or Sebring.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

What a difference a day makes.

Everyone is ok - got the dogs out of the dog run behind the garage by ripping the fence down, cats survived inside, all people accounted for. The house survived and didn’t burn inside but has a lot of smoke damage. E63 is obviously gone, Land Cruiser was parked on the concrete pad and is scorched but drivable as I moved it in my last ditch effort as the garage was fully engulfed.

Just wow. Stunned right now. Thankful we’re alive. Smoke alarms didn’t trigger.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy gently caress dude :stare:

glad everyone is ok!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tremek posted:

Everyone is ok - got the dogs out of the dog run behind the garage by ripping the fence down, cats survived inside, all people accounted for. The house survived and didn’t burn inside but has a lot of smoke damage. E63 is obviously gone, Land Cruiser was parked on the concrete pad and is scorched but drivable as I moved it in my last ditch effort as the garage was fully engulfed.

HOLY gently caress dude :stare: Glad everyone is good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress!

Glad you guys are safe!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Holy gently caress

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Holy poo poo piss

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Big fires like that are so scary....Happened to me on the job once and I'll never forget it.

If you haven't already, contact the red cross they should be able to help you if you need it.

Sorry man that sucks :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tremek posted:

Holy poo poo. No smoke alarms?! What caused it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I know Mercedes have a reputation for expensive maintenance, but drat dude, you didn't have to go that extreme

Seriously though, drat. glad to hear the damage is limited to material things.