Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's amazing how good the casting is for the mcpoyles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/6/21/18693524/perpetual-grace-ltd-epix-review-ben-kingsley-epix-now

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

cheeeeesecake posted:

Anyone else just find themselves randomly chanting "Get it, get the rhythm get the rhythm there you go there you fuckin go"?
Just me? OK!

It's been popping into my head at random, but who can say no to the occasional Ben Kingsley brain worm while you're doing things?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been popping into my head at random, but who can say no to the occasional Ben Kingsley brain worm while you're doing things?

If you haven’t seen “Sexy Beast” with Sir Ben, its worth a watch- there’s some Don Logan going on in Grace...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCjNn2uJr4

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
hell yea cool rick shows up in episode 4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Poor Felipe :(

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is brutal to watch. Hope everything works out well for him.

Also, this show loving rules.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 25, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
This show is so drat good. The little subtle things like every father at career day being factory workers are hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I love this show hahaha

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
that credit sequence was bruuuuuttaaaalllll

great eppy, especially the fathers day bit something about how he says "my sons" and how he says it so often kills me

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love this show.

The car crash through the window slayed me.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This show is amazing and the most recent episode is one of my favorite episodes of television I've ever seen.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, if this was just Guzman/Kingsley together for the entire length of the season, that'd be fine with me. I will say, I'm a bit confused by the repeating of certain phrases that Pa and Ma seems to have. Not so much in the 'Get the rhythm' sort of chanting, but more like how Kingsley would go "Hey Crumb. You're a crumb, Crumb. Why don't you love your loving wife, Crumb. Ya loving crumb. He's a crumb."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
its because hes a crumb.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Pa is such a complex and strange character that I legitimately can never tell how he's going to handle any situation

Instead of killing Guzman he instead chose to save his marriage giving him advice while they chopped down that tree together knowing that this is the man that buried the love of his life alive and could have killed her by being an idiot

I enjoy the fact that I never know how a scene will play out in this show it's always so unexpected

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Goddam this show.

Despite the levity, the confusion around whether he is being played and the eventual emotional resolution to the tree cutting scene, the whole time i was screaming inside my head "HURRY THE gently caress UP AND CUT THE TREE I DON"T WANT MA TO DIE"

The show is so effective

Also that book was hilarious. "Black Crows"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I loved Pa taking the time to be a writing critic in the middle of all the nonsense that was happening at the time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah I loved Pa taking the time to be a writing critic in the middle of all the nonsense that was happening at the time

I laughed so hard at the offhand remark "I hope that's for someone else" when he saw the typewriter

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Do we have evidence/actually seen that Ma and Pa are evil people with millions of dollars or are we just going off the account of the dead beat, possibly child murdering son of theirs?

I can't recall whether we saw James uncover a pile of cash/guns/drugs or I'm just thinking about Sneaky Pete when he found all that poo poo on the boat

(Putting aside the fact Pa killed a man with a shoe and appears to be a complete psycho)

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Looten Plunder posted:

Do we have evidence/actually seen that Ma and Pa are evil people with millions of dollars or are we just going off the account of the dead beat, possibly child murdering son of theirs?

I can't recall whether we saw James uncover a pile of cash/guns/drugs or I'm just thinking about Sneaky Pete when he found all that poo poo on the boat

(Putting aside the fact Pa killed a man with a shoe and appears to be a complete psycho)

Byron's narration in episode 2 has him talking about the psychological techniques he's developed to access the savings of his hosed up parishioners, so it can't be wholly invention on Real Paul's part.

Also you're lucky I don't care about Sneaky Pete sir.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Goddamn. This show is so good, but so loving weird in tone. I feel like watching Patriot is almost mandatory just as a primer for the weird tone and dialog for this.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Two thoughts:
1) The Special Boys is an amazing gang
2) Just look at the goddamned photo!

Episode 6 was an emotional rollercoaster.

Also, something I don't seem to understand: they were looking for someone cynical and detached and the protagonist was supposed to be it - but why/how? Other than actually agreeing to the plan (which is a big ,,but) he seems really emphatethic and more stoic than cynical.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This goddamn show, man. It’s definitely even weirder than Patriot. I feel like watching the season all in one go, whenever I do that, is gonna be a more satisfying experience than watching it weekly, but I’m still really enjoying this watch.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Szurumbur posted:

Also, something I don't seem to understand: they were looking for someone cynical and detached and the protagonist was supposed to be it - but why/how? Other than actually agreeing to the plan (which is a big ,,but) he seems really emphatethic and more stoic than cynical.

Isn't it cynical as in a broken and nihilistic whats the point of life kind of way? The dude had nothing to live for.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

Isn't it cynical as in a broken and nihilistic whats the point of life kind of way? The dude had nothing to live for.

But he still calls his Dad, he obviously cares for Glenn, he didn't fight with New Leaf, he found the Special Boys :v: I mean, he might not care for his life, but that doesn't seem to pertain to others'.

Also the latest episode was really heart-warming, I wish my Dad spoke English, so I could watch the show with him - not that he's a village idiot or a town drunk.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Inspector 34 posted:

Goddamn. This show is so good, but so loving weird in tone. I feel like watching Patriot is almost mandatory just as a primer for the weird tone and dialog for this.

It also feels like coming home after getting super into patriot with all the little references. Cutting off fingers, first person blurry vision cam, Glenn Pirdoo/Glenn Purdue...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this latest episode might be the weirdest and most idiosyncratic one yet haha. it’s also, I think, the first one with a solo Conrad writing credit. man this dude is the best

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Watching it now and I think it might be the best so far even though the plot hasn't advanced much. Just lots of really great moments.

edit: Ok so more plot stuff does happen in the second half of the episode but I still like it more for Special Boys special moments

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 23, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the special girls are also special boys

edit: i feel like being in these shows must be either a treat or a nightmare for these actors/actresses. the dialogue is just so loving funny how do they handle it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I will love this show Five-ever

I swear, in the space of five minutes we had:
"Most of those words"
"Enfroshment"
"Complered"
"It started with a 3"
"King of Texas"
"Five-ever"
"Lightness of the Future"
"Fight-Dancing"

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
The fight dancing was so perfect

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the first 20 minutes of episode 9 is like peak weird dialogue.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The opening scene with Kingsley is the only time I fully haven’t understood what’s going on. Are we just meant to assume that he killed one of the cartel guys off-screen in between the end of episode 7 and now?

Anyway otherwise it’s still a loving awesome episode. Byron and the coroner guy’s speeches were both fantastic, and the editing during the latter is somethin’ else.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The opening scene with Kingsley is the only time I fully haven’t understood what’s going on. Are we just meant to assume that he killed one of the cartel guys off-screen in between the end of episode 7 and now?

When he was in jail he killed a guy with his shoe, it was the son of the cartel lady - he is explaining to her why he killed her son

I loving love this show, at first I didn't know it was a Conrad thing and was like "I'm getting big Patriot vibes here"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh that’s right, I forgot we saw her before as the mother of the shoe victim. Thanks!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
This is inarguably the best show on television.

The dialogue makes other shows look like child's play.

Where is the buzz it deserves?

The fans are hunkered

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Almost every patriot alum of consequence has shown up now who we missin?

Id honestly love if this guy just kept doing shows with mostly the same cast orbiting a main star

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, Patriot is really good. How had I not heard of the show until recently?

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Yeah, it is ... pretty good.

The only reason I'd heard of it was because of Barry comparisons. Must have been seriously under-marketed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao that loving ending