Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, great luck on my behalf, I felt so clever when I was playing around with symbol combinations by a house and caused the dam to shatter and change the water level in The Stranger. My mind really started racing about the ways I'd be able to use this at will to get around to different places like the cabin covered in ghost matter, but really what great luck to stumble upon that combination on my first time!

It turns out it's a timed thing that always happens at exactly the same point in the loop :doh:

Edit: Also I found the room full of corpses through the painting that is set back just enough to access a stairway. That was... unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

cuntman.net posted:

just had my funniest death yet while exploring the twins. decided it was a good idea to land my ship in the gravity cannon despite knowing its called that. then i summoned the nomai shuttle which exploded my ship. then i got in the nomai shuttle, tried to fly it, crashed, and died

Had a similar experience on the Ember Twins, except somehow MORE stupid

Explored the gravity cannon on foot, turned it on, looked onto the humming platform, and thought to myself: I wonder what this thing, explicitly called a gravity cannon, does
Stepped on the platform
Was instantly flung vertically upwards, away from Ember Twins and, as it happened at that moment in time, straight into the sun
I don't know what I was expecting, there was honestly not much happening thought-wise at all

I love reading about dumb deaths in Outer Wilds

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it really dumb if it teaches you something?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I've been watching two blind LPs on YouTube lately: Noah Best Drummer and BeccaBytes. Both of them managed to get to the black hole forge in unconventional ways. Becca rode it up and platformed there, something I tried so hard to do and failed every time. And Noah somehow managed to land his ship upside down on the ceiling/floor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I did same as Noah.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I spent a while trying to do that before I thought of the real way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

By the time I was done I was pretty good at flying around inside Brittle Hollow in general, I did most of it the proper way once but then when going back to places I was lazy and just used my ship as a shortcut and forcibly jammed it in somewhere.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I brute force platformed my way up the broken elevator purely on foot because I'm stubborn and kind of an idiot

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

By the time I was done I was pretty good at flying around inside Brittle Hollow in general, I did most of it the proper way once but then when going back to places I was lazy and just used my ship as a shortcut and forcibly jammed it in somewhere.

It's "any landing you can walk away from", not "any landing the ship can fly away from" :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Echoes of the Eye:

:lol: at the dialogue reaction of,"What amazingly convenient timing you'd tell me this now!" to Slate telling you about how to use the log to set markers on your map :allears:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Sometimes one doesn't mind the hand of the architect giving a nudge.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Feeling a bit stuck on the base game, looking for a vague hint about where to go next! About ~13 hours in and:

-I've recently been exploring the Ash Twin portals and gotten into the Ash Twin Project, removed the big warp core thing, had no idea what to do with it, and triggered a "You died for real" ending. Then I re-loaded the save, explored the Sun Station and Black Hole Forge which I thought would give me my next lead but nothing there really helped me.

-I have a few leads pointing me towards going into the electric orb within Giant's Deep, but I don't know how to get past the electricity after going through the special tornado.

-Most of the remaining Question Marks on my computer are related to the Quantum Moon and the Dark Bramble, and I don't really know what to do about either of those yet. For the Quantum Moon I think I need to get into the Quantum Tower on Brittle Rock but I can't figure out how to get past the exit. For the Dark Bramble (and the seed) I keep throwing scouts into the holes and don't really understand what I'm seeing. The other Question Mark I haven't addressed is the supposed fissure on the sunside of the Interloper which I can't find (I assume it's not there anymore??).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well there's a lot of directions you could go, but here's a very vague hint:

The Interloper is covered in ice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
On navigating Dark Bramble: it's easier if you use the signalscope. One of the few mechanical things that carries over between runs is identified signals - are there any unidentified signals left in the system?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

mancalamania posted:

-I've recently been exploring the Ash Twin portals and gotten into the Ash Twin Project, removed the big warp core thing, had no idea what to do with it, and triggered a "You died for real" ending. Then I re-loaded the save, explored the Sun Station and Black Hole Forge which I thought would give me my next lead but nothing there really helped me.

Those are big beats that are at the “end” of their paths. You’ll know when to use the information you got.

mancalamania posted:

-I have a few leads pointing me towards going into the electric orb within Giant's Deep, but I don't know how to get past the electricity after going through the special tornado.

You’ll find out more about this elsewhere. Keep an eye out for things that look Giant’s Deep-ish elsewhere, like how you found out about the tornado.

mancalamania posted:

-Most of the remaining Question Marks on my computer are related to the Quantum Moon and the Dark Bramble, and I don't really know what to do about either of those yet. For the Quantum Moon I think I need to get into the Quantum Tower on Brittle Rock but I can't figure out how to get past the exit. For the Dark Bramble (and the seed) I keep throwing scouts into the holes and don't really understand what I'm seeing. The other Question Mark I haven't addressed is the supposed fissure on the sunside of the Interloper which I can't find (I assume it's not there anymore??).

Quantum Moon: You’re right about getting into the Quantum Tower. It’s tricky to get into it, but do remember that it’s on Brittle Hollow. Relatedly, but a little more of a spoiler: There are other places to learn more about quantum things, too.

Dark Bramble: Just fly in. It’ll be fun :)

Interloper: Remember that it’s on an elliptical orbit.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

For Dark Bramble, you can just go in directly, and have to to get all the information you need. It's not free of hazards or anything, but being there won't kill you unless you're outside your ship without your spacesuit.

Also, have you been using the Signalscope to follow signals to their sources? It's very helpful for finding points of interest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also tell us how things work out! I'm on the other side of that equation now and I wanna see how it's going for you!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Also tell us how things work out! I'm on the other side of that equation now and I wanna see how it's going for you!

Welcome to the club.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just recently learned that the ship computer is made with a part of a Nomai statue at its core and that's why it remembers things through loops

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man what a great game, i played like an hour of it 5 years ago apparently and moved on, now im a bit further in, gonna savor this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please livepost anything you feel like sharing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i have no idea what im doing, but i did see cool things im on giants deep, checking out the islands here and saw some cool jellyfish, i think i explored all of brittle hollow and found a shuttle but it just shot me into space

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol that's the outer wilds experience

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i couldnt find a way into the quantum tower on brittle hollow, but now im on giants deep and there's one here it looks like?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok i explored that, which was amazing taking a picture of something quantum locking it in place is cool as hell, also riding a jellyfish into the planet core and findin the probe module and getting the eye coordinates was amazing i explored the orbital cannon too and i think i did everything but its telling me there's more to explore there but i explored the control room and the launch room by going outside and around in the broken glass, maybe i missed a translation or something in there

the music is so good

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The "You missed something" prompt doesn't distinguish between plot-relevant info and a sign saying Gents

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kazzah posted:

The "You missed something" prompt doesn't distinguish between plot-relevant info and a sign saying Gents

lmao ok good to know, I think I got what i needed from there. I think im going to head to the twin planets next, seems like a lot points to there. dark bramble scares me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

queeb posted:

dark bramble scares me

:hmmyes:

Think I left that place till last for a proper exploration and good Lord that a deeply tense experience.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kazzah posted:

It actually does, that only comes up for items the game considers of core importance.

What it doesnt consider is whether you've already learned the same information elsewhere.

But there's plenty of stuff you can completely miss, some of it quite cool, and your computer will say nothing because its not relevant to any of the core mysteries.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

the music is so good
hell yeah it is

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

GlyphGryph posted:

It actually does, that only comes up for items the game considers of core importance.

What it doesnt consider is whether you've already learned the same information elsewhere.

But there's plenty of stuff you can completely miss, some of it quite cool, and your computer will say nothing because its not relevant to any of the core mysteries.

Oh GOD, are you serious? I've told so many people that!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think it's just a simple matter of "is there anything still in the area that will add a line to the ship log".

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kazzah posted:

Oh GOD, are you serious? I've told so many people that!

It's okay, if the people you told that are anything like the average OW player they'll be back to 100% their ship log at some point anyways :v:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God Ive been to so many places. Explored ember twin and did the sunless city, landed on the quantum moon but don't know what to do with the tower I found, explored ash twin and played with the teleporters there but I'm not sure what to do, did dark Bramble but that just told me how to get to the core of giants deep which I did already.

I feel like I'm circling around the next step which has to be something with the ash twin project

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

queeb posted:

God Ive been to so many places. Explored ember twin and did the sunless city, landed on the quantum moon but don't know what to do with the tower I found, explored ash twin and played with the teleporters there but I'm not sure what to do, did dark Bramble but that just told me how to get to the core of giants deep which I did already.

I feel like I'm circling around the next step which has to be something with the ash twin project

More in dark bramble.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

queeb posted:

There's definitely a lot more in Dark Bramble than just the clue for how to get to the center of Giant's Deep. When in doubt, you can always look at your ship log to see if a certain point of interest has more to explore.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ok I did the sun station and inside ash twin, that was cool as gently caress

Lol got the bad ending

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Oh ok yeah I forgot all about my other frequencies, now I'm on to something in the Bramble

Edit: I poo poo my pants

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 26, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

queeb posted:

Lol got the bad ending

Which one? The special musical instrument ending is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

queeb posted:

Oh ok yeah I forgot all about my other frequencies, now I'm on to something in the Bramble

Edit: I poo poo my pants
the outer wilds experience