Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rolo posted:

Ok I’m an idiot who missed the whole thing.

Any of the rumors for new cool Carplay stuff in 13 get talked about?

CarPlay Stuff was there. I actually tuned out what they said though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rolo posted:

Ok I’m an idiot who missed the whole thing.

Any of the rumors for new cool Carplay stuff in 13 get talked about?

There was new car play stuff like split screen but most stuff was a refinement

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welp. Everything is becoming more obnoxiously overpriced and nothing I really want.

Is the next Apple event in September?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
60Hz. I understand there are limitations of the DisplayPort standard but that is unforgivable.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shammypants posted:

There was new car play stuff like split screen but most stuff was a refinement

Sweet that’s all I want is maps and music up!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tab8715 posted:

Welp. Everything is becoming more obnoxiously overpriced and nothing I really want.

Is the next Apple event in September?

I mean it was like one device that no ones buys being shown. All the other stuff they're releasing is free.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Over There posted:

All the other stuff they're releasing is free.

Look at this rich millennial with money to burn

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Its pretty cool that I'll be able to use my AppleTV as a Steamlink, now that the Steamlink app is a thing and they're adding Xbone controller support.

One less device connected to my TV (sorry Steamlink. :()

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Over There posted:

I mean it was like one device that no ones buys being shown. All the other stuff they're releasing is free.

I’d throw the non Xr iPhones and new iPad pros in that mix as well from last year. Since the X came out it’s seemingly more an experiment to see what they can get away with pricewise. Then let’s throw some monthly services on top.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
$1,000 for a stand just seems like the most petty thing possible for a $5,000 monitor

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Astro7x posted:

$1,000 for a stand just seems like the most petty thing possible for a $5,000 monitor

Agreed. But I would vesa mount it anyway...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Meanwhile no companion display for the iMac.

In hindsight it makes the weird height discrepancy between it and the Cinema/Thunderbolt displays seem deliberate.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The fact you have to buy the official Apple VESA Adapter to even mount it all is the most egregious offense in the entire consumer electronics marketplace.

No other hardware manufacture has ever done such a thing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

The fact you have to buy the official Apple VESA Adapter to even mount it all is the most egregious offense in the entire consumer electronics marketplace.

If you’re complaining about that you’re not a pro :agesilaus:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Lol, no big company buying these will give a poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked this keynote. I have serious doubts about desktop level Safari on the iPad, but I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. The new multitasking features looked good, although I'm poo poo at remembering how many fingers I need on the screen at once to perform an gesture.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Meanwhile no companion display for the iMac.

Ahem...iPad???

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

eames posted:

i just realized that buying a bunch of mac minis are going to be more cost effective than a single mac pro for some workloads.
The $6000 of the base level MP would buy you five hexacore mac minis (=30 physical cores) with $500 budget for a KVM, switch, etc.

Truth. The only real Mac Pro Required workload will be shoving around 8K video in realtime. Anything else could be front-ended with a Mac Mini or some other box of modest means and dumped out to a PC built with a beast threadripper and a shitload of RAM for rendering or whatever the hell it is you do, all for less money.

KingEup posted:

60Hz. I understand there are limitations of the DisplayPort standard but that is unforgivable.

Yeah, this is not a joke. Using a 144Hz monitor all day really is nice, one of those things that's hard to get until you use it.

LionArcher posted:

$200 for $8 worth of machined aluminum is also really fuckin' bad.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I was only able to follow parts of it but does this mean that we soon can use the ipad properly?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Xabi posted:

I was only able to follow parts of it but does this mean that we soon can use the ipad properly?

Yeah, can I share an iPad with my wife with individual logins yet? We're not going to buy two of these drat things, nor are we going to read each other's text messages

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

ratbert90 posted:

Absolutely, that level of specification is 100% completely bypassing any prosumer / enthusiast by a country mile and is going after a market apple really did abandon, the actual working professional in vfx/color intensive work.

If you want an actual reference monitor with any level of mobility, you're spending ten thousand dollars on something that has the design equivalent to a tv from the early 90's -- these are hardcore workhorse units that you toss in a pelican case, work on site / remote then go back to the office and continue the same poo poo on -- this with a vesa mount immediately gives that professional or company infinitely more mobility and ergonomics, along with being apple to walk into an apple store with it and hopefully get a decent turn around on a new device, instead of calling canon and waiting 3 weeks for them to loan out a device to you while they repair yours.

slightly similar competing devices:

https://www.omegabroadcast.com/panasonic-bt4lh310-31-4k-production-monitor/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278466-REG/canon_1884c002_a.html

I would normally like to absolutely beat the poo poo out of this company for making another tone deaf decision, but going after this marketplace is something that actually makes sense, they're providing a ton of value in a very tired and abandoned marketplace.

A+ for once apple.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

LionArcher posted:

That one is $200, so not exactly cheap, either.

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, because no big company will be buying these things.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

nerdrum posted:

Absolutely, that level of specification is 100% completely bypassing any prosumer / enthusiast by a country mile and is going after a market apple really did abandon, the actual working professional in vfx/color intensive work.

If you want an actual reference monitor with any level of mobility, you're spending ten thousand dollars on something that has the design equivalent to a tv from the early 90's -- these are hardcore workhorse units that you toss in a pelican case, work on site / remote then go back to the office and continue the same poo poo on -- this with a vesa mount immediately gives that professional or company infinitely more mobility and ergonomics, along with being apple to walk into an apple store with it and hopefully get a decent turn around on a new device, instead of calling canon and waiting 3 weeks for them to loan out a device to you while they repair yours.

slightly similar competing devices:

https://www.omegabroadcast.com/panasonic-bt4lh310-31-4k-production-monitor/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278466-REG/canon_1884c002_a.html

I would normally like to absolutely beat the poo poo out of this company for making another tone deaf decision, but going after this marketplace is something that actually makes sense, they're providing a ton of value in a very tired and abandoned marketplace.

A+ for once apple.

Is this a monitor actually useful to that segment, or are you just imagining markets this thing could possibly be targeted at? The resolution alone seems to make it completely useless for use as a reference display.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lambert posted:

Yeah, because no big company will be buying these things.

Now that's a funny statement.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

Now that's a funny statement.

It's a true statement.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lambert posted:

It's a true statement.

Sure, if you ignore all historical market data.
But do tell, I am sure you have done far more research for whom this will sell than Apple has. :allears:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

Sure, if you ignore all historical market data.
But do tell, I am sure you have done far more research for whom this will sell than Apple has. :allears:

Ah yes, tell me more about your amazing insight into "historical market data". With how much of a roaring success the trashcan mac was, Apple can obviously do no wrong.

BTW, Historical market data clearly shows this new mac pro is a dead end.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Ipad mouse support wasn't mentioned, but apparently it is real

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/ipados-13-includes-support-for-usb-mouse-input/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I work at a huge retailer that does everything in house, so if we're making a promotional video or graphic design it's all done within the company. You can be certain someone's going to find the money for a new Mac Pro because how else are we going to make an 8k video with 1000 audio tracks of the company picnic. $100k in new Mac Pro's is a rounding error in the IT budget.

I am profoundly disappointed by the lack of user accounts on the iPad. Otherwise all the changes and updates look really good.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Video editing on a mac is some retro poo poo, nice blast of the past.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am profoundly disappointed by the lack of user accounts on the iPad. Otherwise all the changes and updates look really good.

I never realized I want this. drat, that would be awesome.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Apple TV getting user accounts before the iPad is pretty bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/apple-tv-xbox-one-ps4-controller-support/

So uh those Xbox controllers are gonna work on iOS as well. That’s gonna be loving huge.

Please Tim I need this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 4, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, I like that Mac Pro, but 6K for the entry system is just dumb.

I bought a top of the line Octo 3.1 for 2200 Euro's ( most I ever paid for a computer ) and that was good value. This, along with the rest Apple is doing recently, just screams price gouging.
Shame really.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm not mad about the pricing because the updated mac mini exists. The Mac Pro just isn't for consumers and that's fine by me. :shrug:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

eames posted:

I'm not mad about the pricing because the updated mac mini exists. The Mac Pro just isn't for consumers and that's fine by me. :shrug:

Well I used it for freelancing work because it was just stupidly fast compared to other workstations at the time. But even for prosumers this is just ridiculous.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The only people with opinions on Mac Pro pricing that Apple cares about are the people in various purchasing, procurement, or business expensing departments who need to sign off on the purchases. They don't care about some random person on the internet or whether a developer at Twitter thinks it's too expensive or not because the former isn't their target and the latter isn't who's gonna be footing the bill.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I look forward to acquiring the new Mac Pro the same way I acquired my current Mac Pro: out of a Craigslist seller’s trunk for $250, a decade after release.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only people with opinions on Mac Pro pricing that Apple cares about are the people in various purchasing, procurement, or business expensing departments who need to sign off on the purchases. They don't care about some random person on the internet or whether a developer at Twitter thinks it's too expensive or not because the former isn't their target and the latter isn't who's gonna be footing the bill.

Oh, I don't think they will lose sleep over me not buying it. Don't worry.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can anyone on the iOS beta (or macOS, I guess) tell me if they allow emails to be "shared" now? I had to switch from Mail to Spark because Mail for some reason has no easy way to open the Share Extension/Actions to make reminders or notes and what not. Spark is pretty great, but I'm getting really annoyed at it because my badge counters don't update on time like Mail does, and for some reason they don't let you disable push notifications while keeping badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Truth. The only real Mac Pro Required workload will be shoving around 8K video in realtime. Anything else could be front-ended with a Mac Mini or some other box of modest means and dumped out to a PC built with a beast threadripper and a shitload of RAM for rendering or whatever the hell it is you do, all for less money.

Haha, Apple knows.

Screenshot taken from a video of the WWDC demo setup where they recreated a "video studio workflow room" with ingest-, editing-, coloring-, rendering-stations, etc. All the work stations were Mac Pros and then they briefly panned to this in an unlit corner...

Only registered members can see post attachments!