Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only people with opinions on Mac Pro pricing that Apple cares about are the people in various purchasing, procurement, or business expensing departments who need to sign off on the purchases. They don't care about some random person on the internet or whether a developer at Twitter thinks it's too expensive or not because the former isn't their target and the latter isn't who's gonna be footing the bill.

A huge amount of vfx and cgi production is done by contractors, both freelance and smaller teams. This is prohibitively expensive for them compared to a solution where they can just slot more quadros into their system for their viewport/simulation rendering as their needs suit.

There are big gargantuan sweatshops too, but they are also typically contractors and have thinner margins than you’d think. Don’t you IT guys like, do cost-benefit analysis stuff on big purchases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Depends on the toolset. A lot of VFX is done on Linux which makes Macs not even an option. At least for big studios. I can see them in medium to small studios doing edit and sound work. No one is going to be working on big budget VFX on a Mac. It’s not that you can’t but the industry is already neck deep in proprietary tools that are designed for whopper PC workstations running Linux.

Yep. The person I had in mind when I wrote that post created the matrix bullet dodge effect, and as you say, it’s wall to wall Linux in her office.