Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Release us from this tragic demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ZeeBoi posted:

old-man-yells-at-cloud.png

Nah, it is stupid. We've seen this type of demo plenty of times now, it never gets more interesting.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shammypants posted:

It’s always amusing to see people respond to these events. The father looking through photos of his kids is effective for a very large market of parents. The workflow poo poo for the expensive Mac Pro is going to be going over very well for the monied developer or creative crowd. If someone seems silly or not worthwhile it’s often because it isn’t marketed for you rather than just being dumb.

The existence of "monied developers" or a "monied creative crowd" doesn't change the fact the Mac Pro is insanely expensive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

LionArcher posted:

I want it but shouldn’t get it but it’s obvious who this is for. Pros.

We should vote for this display because it's more electable to people that aren't me, even though I personally don't like it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

LionArcher posted:

Agreed. But I would vesa mount it anyway...

That one is $200, so not exactly cheap, either.

ratbert90 posted:

Lol, no big company buying these will give a poo poo.

Yeah, because no big company will be buying these things.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

nerdrum posted:

Absolutely, that level of specification is 100% completely bypassing any prosumer / enthusiast by a country mile and is going after a market apple really did abandon, the actual working professional in vfx/color intensive work.

If you want an actual reference monitor with any level of mobility, you're spending ten thousand dollars on something that has the design equivalent to a tv from the early 90's -- these are hardcore workhorse units that you toss in a pelican case, work on site / remote then go back to the office and continue the same poo poo on -- this with a vesa mount immediately gives that professional or company infinitely more mobility and ergonomics, along with being apple to walk into an apple store with it and hopefully get a decent turn around on a new device, instead of calling canon and waiting 3 weeks for them to loan out a device to you while they repair yours.

slightly similar competing devices:

https://www.omegabroadcast.com/panasonic-bt4lh310-31-4k-production-monitor/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278466-REG/canon_1884c002_a.html

I would normally like to absolutely beat the poo poo out of this company for making another tone deaf decision, but going after this marketplace is something that actually makes sense, they're providing a ton of value in a very tired and abandoned marketplace.

A+ for once apple.

Is this a monitor actually useful to that segment, or are you just imagining markets this thing could possibly be targeted at? The resolution alone seems to make it completely useless for use as a reference display.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

Now that's a funny statement.

It's a true statement.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

Sure, if you ignore all historical market data.
But do tell, I am sure you have done far more research for whom this will sell than Apple has. :allears:

Ah yes, tell me more about your amazing insight into "historical market data". With how much of a roaring success the trashcan mac was, Apple can obviously do no wrong.

BTW, Historical market data clearly shows this new mac pro is a dead end.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Video editing on a mac is some retro poo poo, nice blast of the past.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

I'm not mad about the pricing because the updated mac mini exists. The Mac Pro just isn't for consumers and that's fine by me. :shrug:

I mean, the updated mac mini is insanely priced as well. Also, tends to get uncomfortably loud. Also, it's okay to want products made for you instead of some hypothetical other user that would be perfectly served by this machine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

wooger posted:

Yep. There is no GPU on that thing even, it’s such poor value compared to the equivalent NUC. And those upgrade prices... £540 to go to 1TB £540 to go to 32GB.

It remains the case (as for 10+ years) that most potential (and many actual) Apple desktop users would prefer an xMac (desktop CPU, mini tower, 2 GPU slots, upgradeable ram/SSD) over anything they sell.

This would also make Macs an option for anyone who wants to game.

Yep, would love an Xmac. Of course, they're never going to sell one. Looking at small cases like the Dancase A4 or a Streacom DA2, quite small cases are possible while still retaining full-size GPU support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Expect the next update to the mac pro some time in 2025, going by historical precedent.