Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I got a feeling about this used-lei salesman.

Mostly because I want to see him try and kill us with a lei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I definitely trust the used lei salesman!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Used lei

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[33] Interrogation - Used-Lei Salesman

The used-lei salesman turns out to be a plant. The lei is a traditional flower garland that is a symbol of peace, but this salesman is trying to strangle you with one!
You're not so easily caught, though. You kick him in his shin, and while he hops around in pain, you land a good right hook to his jaw. He's lei'd out cold. If this is a V.I.L.E. henchman, then you've got to be close! Back to the airport, fast! [123]

Where next?

Is the key to this whole mystery:

• The used-lei salesman?
• The guide at the volcano? [56]
• The sailor? [147]

Score: 30 • Case: Great Wall • Warrant: Carmen Sandiego!!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Volcano guide because I wanna see him try and throw us into the volcano. And fail.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

quote:

He's lei'd out cold.

Oooooooooooooooooooof

The guide who is definitely not going to try to throw us in a volcano

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[56] Interrogation - Guide at the Volcano

The tour guide at the volcano explodes in anger, when you approach him. He looks at you and realizes he's not going to win. You frisk him, and find what you're looking for — a list Carmen's gang and their hideouts. The thief you're after is one of the people on this list!

It could be...
• 'Auntie' Bellum? [163]
• Justin Case, (in jail)
• Ernest Endeavor? [114]
• Clare d'Loon, (in jail)
• Kari Meback? [20]
• Chuck Roast, (in jail)
• Luke Warmwater? [51]

• Carmen Sandiego? [46]

Score: 31 • Case: Great Wall • Warrant: Carmen Sandiego!!

Yep, we've already got a warrant, but this one's for all the marbles, so I'm just gonna ask it for the look of the thing.

:siren: Are we sure the thief is  Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? :siren:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 21, 2019

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Let's do it! Arrest Carmen Sandiego!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Arrest Carmen

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Carmen, sorry, it’s been fun.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Where in the jail is Carmen Sandiego?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Arrest Carmen!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Its time to catch Carmen Sandiego

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Complications posted:

Great Lp and now I’m thinking about the old tv show and the song!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rujasu posted:

Let's do it! Arrest Carmen Sandiego!

achtungnight posted:

Carmen, sorry, it's been fun.

Complications posted:

Junpei posted:

Arrest Carmen!

grandalt posted:

Its time to catch Carmen Sandiego

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[46] Arrest - Carmen Sandiego

You were dead right! The villainess behind the theft was none other than Carmen Sandiego herself. You find her tanning on the beach at Waikiki. You throw her a towel.
She catches the towel and suddenly dashes into the ocean. You expected this. Right on cue, members of the Hawaiian police force stand up on their surfboards and surround Carmen.

"I've got you covered, Carmen," you tell her. "Better give yourself up."
"You win, this time," she says with a sigh. "But next time — watch out!"

When the police take her away, you call the Chief to tell him that you've captured Carmen.
"Excellent work!" he tells you. "I'm sure you're going to get that promotion now!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wooooooo! We DID it! WE CAUGHT CARMEN SANDIEGO! Now let's check our Score.

Score: 32

Wow. Looks like we're well on track to win the grand prize: A trip to anywhere in the Continental United States The good will and jubilation of all our forumites, everywhere!

Carmen's character card was the other misprinted card. Originally, it said she had brown eyes - just like Kari Meback! Any kid playing through this book would be at a loss to catch our master thief.

That's all for our cases, but stay tuned for some cool bonus materials! A hearty CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who followed this through to the end.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:toot: We came here to arrest Carmen, and to explain ourselves at length to the FBI and Interpol. And we're alllll out of Carmen's to arrest.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Quackles posted:

Carmen's character card was the other misprinted card. Originally, it said she had brown eyes - just like Kari Meback! Any kid playing through this book would be at a loss to catch our master thief.
So what you're saying is that Carmen Sandiego stole the correct card template from the publisher.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did she hack her profile at ACME?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Woohoo!:toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so glad the lei guy tried to strangle us with a lei. I love it. I love this book, it's stupid in all the right ways. Thank you for LPing it!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Complications posted:

So what you're saying is that Carmen Sandiego stole the correct card template from the publisher.

Basically! When you read the actual book, you can tell that it wasn't proofread very well. I've corrected a few minor typos in the book and left in a few more major ones (as well as fixing the card errors that were necessary to beat the cases properly).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content - The Other Interviews, Case 4

It wouldn't be a proper Let's Play if you didn't get to see all the other witnesses and others we didn't originally talk to in pursuit of justice.

quote:

[47] Interview - Newspaper Vendor (United States)

You arrive at the roadside stall of the newspaper vendor. "I'm looking for news," you tell him.
He gestures at the large display of papers. "I got lots," he responds.

"Do you have any news about the woman who stole the Great Wall of China?" you ask.
"Yeah, I've seen her," he says. "She bought a paper. Then she said she was going somewhere where it was legal to make steal. Didn't make any sense to me."
But it does to you. "She didn't mean steal," you tell him. "She meant steel. As in iron and steel." You both have a good laugh. Then you make your way back to the airport. [63]

[92] Interview - Carriage Driver (United States)

You arrive at the south side of Central Park. There is a line of horse-drawn carriages ready to take the tourists around. You find the carriage you're looking for, and feed the horse a lump of sugar. You turn to the driver and ask, "Have you've seen this woman." You show the driver a photograph.

"Yeah, I've seen her. She said she always wanted to ride around the park, so I took her. After the ride was over, she asked where the nearest bank was. She said she wanted to change her dollars into pounds."
A clue! You head back to the airport [63] to check it out.

[162] Interview - Sitar Player (India)

You find the sitar player. The sitar looks like a guitar with a long neck and seven strings. When the sitar player stops, you talk to him about the woman you're looking for.
"Yes, I remember her," he says. "She said she loves music played on string instruments. She also said she was going where they play the Spanish guitar."
You thank him for the information and music and head back to the airport. [170]

[4] Interview - Police Officer (India)

As you arrive in India's capital city of New Delhi, the police officer is directing traffic. You ask him about the suspicious woman he saw earlier.
"Ah, I recall her," he tells you. "She was an elegant woman with brown hair."

"Did she let slip anything about where she might be going?" you ask him.
"Not a word," he says. "But I did see part of the folder that held her plane tickets. I couldn't make any words, but it looked like the ticket was in Spanish."
An airline ticket in Spanish. Not much to go on, but it's something. Time to head back to [170].

This is the only time in the whole case when they mention Carmen's hair color.

[147] Interrogation - Sailor (Hawaii)

You find the sailor at Pearl Harbor naval base. It's a very large place, filled with people working away on the ships. However, the sailor you find is a V.I.L.E. henchman who tries to throw you off the dock.
You struggle together, but he goes overboard instead, when you do a clever judo toss. The local Military Police fish him out and take him off to a cell to dry out.
Head back to the airport because you're getting very close! [123]

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content: Ranks and Statistics

This post has both a few stats about our globe-trotting adventure, as well as the text of all the possible ranks we could have gotten.

Statistics

• Farmers we talked to: 2

• Fishermen we talked to: 2. 3 if you count all possible branches

• Commercial fishermen we talked to: 0

Of the locations we visited...

• We visited 6 twice, and went elsewhere both times afterwards: China, India, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, Uganda, and the (continental) United States.
• We visited 2 twice, but one of those two times was only to catch a crook: Argentina and Italy.
• We visited 6 once, and went elsewhere afterwards: Canada, Greenland, Japan, Puerto Rico, the Soviet Union, and the United Kingdom.
• We only visited Australia to catch Justin Case, and Hawaii to catch Carmen.

Ranks by Score

Here's the full score table in the back of the book, edited slightly to give the ranks titles.

0 - 18: V.I.L.E. Double Agent?!
You really didn't do it in this few steps, did you? Either you're boasting about your abilities, or you're actually working with Carmen's gang. Be honest, and try again. If you dare!

18 - 40: Super Sleuth!
You work very well and don't waste time. Well done — you deserve the new rank and the nice big bonus you'll get next payday!

41 - 60: Private-Eye Material
You're a good steady worker, and you get your man (or woman). Still, there's room for improvement, and you can always try again to get another promotion.

61 - 80: Detective First Class
You're not quite a world-famous private eye yet, but you'll get there. Try again, and see if you can't make it up a grade or two!

81 - 100: Rookie Material
You're taking too long to track down these crooks. Next time, they're going to get away from you. You'd better study a little harder and try again. You really are better than this!

100+: Shoe Salesman
Are you sure you're really cut out to be a detective? Maybe you'd be better off looking for an easier job — a shoe salesman, perhaps? But if you're determined to be a detective, why not try again. Maybe this was just an off day? Better luck next time!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! Where on Earth could she beeee~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content - Carmen's Nastygrams

Usually, when you go to a dead end, you get a fairly bland message telling you to go to [18], which chastises you and tells you to backtrack. The delay mostly adds to your score, with no other issues.

However, in Case 4, Carmen decided to spice it up a bit.

quote:

[154] Dead End - Italy (from United States)

The plane touches down in Italy. You head for the information desk. "Anyone been asking for me?"
"Here's a postcard for you," says the desk clerk. You see that it's a picture of the Great Wall of China. On the back is a short poem:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
You're in the wrong place —
So phooey to you!

You sigh with disgust. Tricked! Better head for [18].

[135] Dead End - Saudi Arabia (from China)

When you get off the plane in Saudi Arabia, there's no one to meet you. Checking in at the airline desk, you find a message for you. It's a postcard from China with a message on it:

"Fooled you!"

Curses! You've come to the wrong place. Better head for [18] right away.

[25] Dead End - Puerto Rico (from India)

You arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico. As you get off the plane, a smiling girl hands you an envelope. There's a card in it. Funny, it's not your birthday. You open it, and read the verse:

Roses are red, violets are blue,
Boy, have I made a sucker out of you.
You've certainly come to just the wrong place,
So head for [18], and you'd better make haste!

Quackles fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 2, 2019