Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ask the Bantu if Roland the Thompson Gunner is still battling his tribe to their knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Quackles posted:

It's possible mini-you wasn't calculating the score properly. I did the math on the book before starting the LP, and with the way the score brackets line up, it's pretty clear you're supposed to mark one point each time you move to a new numbered section... which includes backtracking to the airport after an interview. So each interview counts for 2 points, not 1.

Gameplay mechanics spoiler: If you interview only one person in each location, always go to the correct destination each time, make the correct choice of who to arrest, and don't hit any dead ends, you will end up with a score of exactly 18... which happens to be where the best 'normal' score bracket starts. But you have to be pretty lucky for things to work out that way.

Huh, that makes sense, I probably wasn’t counting trips back to the airport when I was younger.

Anyway, speak to the Bantu guy.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Ask the park ranger.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Bantu

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[14] Interview - Bantu Tribesman

You're in luck. The Bantu tribesman is a ranger at the Kidepo Valley National Park. The park is world famous and contains herds of rhinoceroses, elephants, and giraffes.

"Can you tell me anything about this man?" You show the ranger a photograph.
"I didn't see this man," the ranger replies. "But I saw his tracks. He's a heavy man with black hair." The tribesman grins. "He dropped his comb, and I found it."

"Any idea where he might have gone next?" you ask.
"Well, I understand it was to be an island somewhere."
You thank him for his help, and ponder your next move. Go back to Kampala [79] while you think about what you'll do next.

Where next?

Do we want to talk to:
• The Bantu tribesman?
• The park ranger? [83]
• The banana picker? [101]

Or are we ready to leave for:
• Canada? [60]
• Australia? [157]
• New Zealand? [39]

Score: 27 • Case: Violin • Suspect: Male, blue eyes, black hair • Destination: island

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Canada is packed with islands, so obviously the suspect is headed there.

Talk to the Park Ranger next.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ranger, we need your help!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks, Carmen. Glad to know he’s outlived his usefulness. [hangs up phone]

Get a warrant for Justin Case and fly to New Zealand.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
This map I’m looking at doesn’t contain any place called New Zealand. That can’t be a real country. Let’s go check it out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Ranger

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[83] Interview - Park Ranger

Uganda has lots of parks full of wonderful animals. But they have serious problems with poachers — hunters who kill animals for their skins and tusks. So there are park rangers to keep their eyes on whoever comes in and out of the parks. That's good news for you, because one ranger saw the man you're after.

"Yes, he was here," the ranger says. "A black-haired man, right? He looked pretty suspicious to me, so I threw him out. He was very annoyed, and said he was going somewhere to look for diamonds."

You head back to the airport [79] as you think about this clue.

Where next?

Do we want to talk to:
• The Bantu tribesman?
• The park ranger
• The banana picker? [101]

• Canada? [60]
• Australia? [157]
• New Zealand? [39]

Score: 29 • Case: Violin • Suspect: Male, blue eyes, black hair • Destination: island, has diamonds

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Australia has diamonds and our suspect (Justin Case).

Edit- just checked Wikipedia to be sure and Australia has natural diamonds but NZ doesn’t. I’m not sure if I would count Australia as an island though. It’s awfully big. Changing vote to Australia. Game standards may be different.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 7, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

achtungnight posted:

New Zealand has diamonds and our suspect (Justin Case).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
NZ, Justin Case

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Aussieland, Justin Case people forgot what the book says

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Australia and Justin Case, its time to catch a crook.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

G'day, Mr Case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[157] Australia

You've arrived in Canberra, Australia. Australia is an island so huge that it forms a continent all by itself. It also contains some of the most unusual animals in the world. Among these strange creatures that live on an island off the southern coast are the wombat, the koala bear (not really a bear, though often called one), and the ferocious Tasmanian devil (which is really a just meat-eating mammal that looks like a large dog.)
And off the eastern coast stretches the Great Barrier Reef. You read in your guidebook that a reef is a rocky shelf near the shores of great bodies of water. You also read that the Great Barrier Reef is actually a whole host of small reefs in a line almost 1,250 miles long! Too bad you can't take some time off to study the local wildlife.

You look around for the local agent, but he's nowhere to be seen. That's odd. Then you hear a noise from a broom closet. When you open the door, you find the agent tied up and gagged. Quickly you free him.
"Thank goodness you've arrived!" he gasps. "I think you're on to something! I spoke to three people who've seen the crook you're after. One of them must have knocked me out and stuck me in here to keep me from talking to you. Good thing you heard me."

You agree, and study the list of contacts that he hands you.

Should we interrogate:
• The kangaroo wrangler? [3]
• Mick from Melbourne? [124]
• Crocodile Humphrey? [70]

Score: 30 • Case: Violin • Suspect: Male, blue eyes, black hair, here somewhere!

Fun fact: Back when I was a kid, pretty much every schoolbook I had described Australia as an 'island continent'.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
These three contacts seem awfully similar... Start with Crocodile Humphrey. Get the ripoff artist out of the way.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Crocodile DundeeHumphrey

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If you think about it, all the continents are islands.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Crocodile

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[70] Interrogation: Crocodile Humphrey

Crocodile Humphrey is sitting by his pool, feeding his toothy pets when you arrive.
"I've been waiting for you, snoop," he snarls. "And I think it's time you got what's coming to you?"

"Don't I even get a last meal?" you ask, thinking fast.
"You are the last meal," he laughs. "For the crocodiles."

You pull a bottle from your pocket, but it's not pills — it's a smoke bomb. You drop it on the ground and dive for cover. Humphrey is overcome by smoke and collapses in his chair.
You take this opportunity to go through his pockets. You find a list of the hideouts for the members of the game. Success! Your suspect is one of these.

Do you want to arrest:
• 'Auntie' Bellum? [94]
• Justin Case? [50]
• Ernest Endeavor? [146]
• Clare d'Loon? [67]
• Kari Meback? [26]
• Chuck Roast? [115]
• Luke Warmwater? [129]

• Carmen Sandiego? [165]

Score: 31 • Case: Violin • Suspect: Male, blue eyes, black hair, arrest warrant ready

This is it, folks! We've got our shot at arresting the thief — but the question is, whodunnit?! We only get one chance at making the arrest, so let's get the right person the first time! Remember, you can always backtrack and do more interviews if you need to.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's our lad Justin Case.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
drat the law, get Carmen now!

Just kidding. Let’s grab Justin Case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

achtungnight posted:

Australia has diamonds and our suspect (Justin Case).

Junpei posted:

NZ, Justin Case

Scalding Coffee posted:

Aussieland, Justin Case people forgot what the book says

grandalt posted:

Australia and Justin Case, its time to catch a crook.

Ibblebibble posted:

G'day, Mr Case.

[50] Arrest: Justin Case

As you deduced, the criminal you're after is none other than Justin Case! You surprise him in his hotel room, trying to play the stolen Stradivarius violin. He's not very good at it— he's trying to play rock 'n' roll!

"I want a lawyer!" he starts yelling, and then suddenly stops. "Wait a minute, I am a lawyer."
"Better come quietly," you tell him, while putting the treasured violin in its case.

Soon the local police arrive to arrest him. When they take him away, you call the Chief, to let hm know that you've solved the case.
"Good work," he tells you. "Acme is proud of you. Now add up those travel points, and head for the back of the book. I'm sure you've earned yourself a promotion and a raise!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Total Score: 32

You work very well and don't waste time. Well done — you deserve the new rank and the nice big bonus you'll get next payday!

That was a fun warmup, wasn't it? And just imagine the headlines: Thief Gets 20 Years In Violin Case.
But Carmen's just getting started, and the principal portion of her pilfering partners are still very much at large. Tune in soon for our next case:

Case 2: Gorilla in Our Midst

To Be Continued...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Funny, I heard some members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra rocking out on violins a while back and they were great. Justin must not be of such caliber.

This was fun. Looking forward to the next case.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Coda: Smooth Criminal

achtungnight posted:

Funny, I heard some members of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra rocking out on violins a while back and they were great. Justin must not be of such caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0xCI1jaUM

I can confirm that a smooth criminal is what Justin Case was not.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 30, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s220Yey_CoY

Falcom proved that violins can be an essential part of an epic track.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bonus Content: The Other Interviews, Case 1

The nature of an investigation is that it's pretty fast-paced, and we may not end up interviewing everybody. So, I'm starting these bonus content posts - where I put the interviews we didn't get to see the first time around.

Now, without further ado...

quote:

[38] Interview: Cosmonaut (Soviet Union)

The cosmonaut is the Soviet version of an astronaut. He's in training at Star City, not far from Moscow, where the Soviets launch their space missions. Your contact takes time off from his training to talk with you.

"I recall the man you're after," the cosmonaut tells you. "He had shifty blue eyes. He told me he always wanted to see how rice was grown, because he loves rice pudding. I told him that we don't have rice plants here in Star City, and he said that they did have them where he was going."
A clue! You head back to the airport to check everything out. [21]

[57] Interview: KGB Agent (Soviet Union)

The KGB agent is hiding in the shadows of the Kremlin. He hisses, and you go over. "I hear you're searching for the blue-eyed man who stole the Stradivarius violin from Rome," he says.
"You hear pretty well," you tell him. "You hear anything about the man?"
"Yes. I heard he bought rupees on the black market."

You thank him, and he melts away into the dark shadows. But he's given you a hot tip about where your prey may be hiding out. You go back to the airport to check it out. [21]

[101] Interview: Banana Picker (Uganda)

Bananas are a big crop in Uganda, and there are lots of banana pickers getting them ready for market. You find the man you're looking for, and ask him about the thief you're tracking down.
"Yes, he was here," the picker points out. "He had black hair. I caught him stealing some of my bananas, and chased him out."

"Any idea where he went?" you ask.
"Nope," the picker replies. "But I hope he never comes back here."
What a bummer! You head back to the airport [79] to see if you can find more clues.

[3] Interrogation: Kangaroo Wrangler (Australia)

As you come closer to the kangaroo wrangler, he whips out a boomerang and throws it at you. You dive to the ground just as the boomerang whizzes over your head. Then it spins back to the wrangler. He's so amazed that he missed you, he forgets to duck. The boomerang knocks him out. You go over, and find a V.I.L.E. membership card in his pocket. You're definitely getting close now! You'd better head back to Canberra [157], fast!

[124] Interrogation: Mick from Melbourne (Australia)

Mick from Melbourne turns out to be a sheep shearer. He's busy stripping the fleece from a sheep when you arrive. He's using what looks like an oversized electric razor. When he seems you, he drops the sheep and lunges for you with the clippers. You quickly throw some cut wool into his face, blinding him. He drops the clippers.

The ranch owner apologizes and calls the police to have Mick picked up. Meanwhile, you head back to the airport [157], certain you're getting very close to solving your case.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 22, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought we would have scored worse since each interview hop was next to worthless.

He got blue eyes.
And the rest of him?
He look like a man.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

A Note on the Scores

The scoring is as follows:

0 - 17: Double Agent?! (You can't obtain this score honestly.)
18-40: Super Sleuth
41-60: Private Eye Material
61-80: Detective First Class
81-100: Rookie Material
101+: Shoe Salesman

Using the normal book scoring rules:

• If you never hit any dead ends while traveling, but arrest the right person, the worst score you can get is 42.
• If you hit every dead end exactly once while traveling, and still arrest the right person, the worst score you can get is 72.
• Normally, choosing the wrong thief adds a total of 11 extra points to your score - and the crook gets away, of course.

• So, if you try every branch (including dead ends) once, completely bumbling through the case and getting the wrong culprit at the end, the worst score you could get would be 83.

For the purposes of this Let's Play, and also comedy, letting the thief get away nets you the rank of 'Shoe Salesman'.
However, getting 'Shoe Salesman' naturally would require you to interview the same witnesses twice - a lot— and/or go to the wrong destinations repeatedly even after being told they're the wrong ones.

Fun fact: There was once a Sherlock Holmes text adventure that, if you ended your game with a score of exactly 0 points, would award you the rank of 'Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard'.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Excellent we have one down. And I suspect that we don't have repeating crooks, so we won't be seeing Justin for a while here. (Until perhaps the next book.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Case 2: Gorilla in Our Midst

Background: There are three different families of gorillas and the mountain gorilla is the rarest. Probably less than 450 are alive today. They are impressive apes standing almost 6 feet tall and can weigh up to 450 pounds. Despite their ferocious looks, they are gentle plant-eating animals. Baby gorillas weigh only 5 pounds when they are born.

To investigate this crime: Go to [106].

A note about the Mountain Gorilla. At the time this book was written, the gorilla was Critically Endangered. Conservation efforts have raised the population to between 880-1000, but that just bumps them up from 'Critically Endangered' to just 'Endangered'. There's a long way to go.

[106] Uganda (Scene of the Crime)

Uganda is famous for its national parks. There are three major ones — the Murchison Falls National Park, the Queen Elizabeth National Park, and the Kidepo Valley National Park.
Among the rare animals that live in these parks are the small forest elephant, both the black and the white rhinoceros, the giraffe, the eland, and the chimpanzee. Among the rarest of these animals is the mountain gorilla, and one has been stolen! It's vital that you find and return it before any harm comes to it.

A local agent comes to brief you. He's already found three people who saw the thief, and has discovered that only three planes took off before the police sealed the airport.

Should we talk to:
• The cattle herder? [77]
• The banker? [95]
• The travel agent? [164]

• The United States of America? [29]
• China? [119]
• Argentina? [141]

Score: 1 • Case: Gorilla • Suspect: ? • Destination: ?

We're off once more! Will we prevent the plans of the pernicious primate pilferer? Or will the gorilla-grabbing gangster get away?

Good luck, Acme detectives!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's ask the banker.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe the thief bought a ticket through his travel agent

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

The travel agent, we need to make some booking plans to keep up with our tickets.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Travel agent.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yes, Travel Agent, what are the rules for internationally transporting a gorilla anyway? Or traveling in a gorilla costume you never take off? Asking for a large friend who needs to travel to fight Godzilla sometime next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[164] Interview: Travel Agent

The travel agent you visit is a cheerful man, who tries to sell you seventeen different package tours — from going over Niagara Falls in a barrel to climbing Mount Everest. You finally manage to tell him that you're just here on business, tracking down a stolen gorilla.

"Yes, I remember that lady," he tells you. "She said she was going to look for some marble when she left here."
You thank him for his help and leave before he offers to book you on a flight to the moon! You go straight to the airport. [106]

Where next?

Should we talk to:
• The cattle herder? [77]
• The banker? [95]
• The travel agent?

• The United States of America? [29]
• China? [119]
• Argentina? [141]

Score: 3 • Case: Gorilla • Suspect: Female • Destination: has marble