Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Everything on the Selected Quotations page reads like a paragraph out of a middle-schooler's notebook.

Chapter 41--Gilbert-Rocher triumped against a myriad army. posted:

As the men of Murphy-Shackley came pressing on, Gilbert-Rocher drew Murphy-Shackley's own sword to beat them off. Nothing could resist the Blue Blade Sword. Armor, clothing, it went through without effort and blood gushed forth in fountains wherever it struck. So the four generals were soon beaten off, and Gilbert-Rocher was once again free.
I definitely did not pick this because I am 12

Anyway maybe the tea picker has something interesting to say. Even though

StrixNebulosa posted:

...Also since it's the final case there's no way it's not Carmen. I'll wait for one more clue, but like, c'mon. It's her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[81] Interview - Tea Picker and Packer

The tea picker is working hard. You watch with fascination as she quickly pulls the best tea leaves off their bushes. Seeing your interest, she smiles at you.
"Tea is one of the oldest drinks in the world," she says. "The Chinese have been drinking it since early times. It wasn't until the seventeenth century that the Dutch introduced it to Europe.

"I love tea," you tell her. "There's nothing like a cup of tea with breakfast. And iced tea in the summer ... ah, well! Down to business. I think you've seen the woman I'm looking for."
"Yes, she stopped by for a cup of tea," the picker answers. "She said she had a long trip ahead of her, and that where she was going, they grew corn, not tea." You thank her for her help and head back to the airport. [27]

Where next?

Do we wish to talk to:

• The museum guard? [32]
• The tea picker and packer?
• The chess player?

The suspect may have gone to:

• The United States? [63]
• Saudi Arabia? [135]
• Puerto Rico? [12]

Score: 5 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: uses US Dollars, grows corn

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Museum guard

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Museum guard, then off to the (mainland) United States.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zenostein posted:

Everything on the Selected Quotations page reads like a paragraph out of a middle-schooler's notebook.

The best name in there is Looby-Hurtado and I will never change my mind about it.

Anyway, let's go to the museum.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
United States

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[32] Interview - Museum Guard

China has a long history that stretches back to 5000 BC. There are lots of museums all over the country, with plenty of fascinating relics to see. Your orders are to go to the local museum and contact the museum guard. Trouble is, which museum? When you finally find the right museum, you run up to the guard at the door.
"I understand that you saw the woman I'm after," you say, trying to catch your breath.

"That's right," he agrees. "She was acting very suspiciously. I think she was trying to steal a priceless Ming vase. When I went over to investigate, she ran out quickly. I didn'tget a chance to see what she looked like, but she did drop this."
It's a book called Teach Yourself Oil Drilling. Great! It has to contain a clue about where your thief might be going next. You go back to [27] to check out your options.

Where next?

We've talked to everyone. Now has the suspect gone to:

• The United States? [63]
• Saudi Arabia? [135]
• Puerto Rico? [12]

Score: 7 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: uses US Dollars, grows corn, has oil reserves

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

:patriot:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Usa! USA!!!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[63] United States

You're in New York City. You love being here, in the historic five boroughs of the largest city in the United States — Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. You read in your guidebook that it was the capital of the United States from 1785 to 1790. It may not be the capital anymore, but it's still a great city to be in.

You meet your contact here, and he hands you a list. "The woman you're after talked to these people," he tells you. "And she left for one of these three places. See you around." You examine the list.

Is it time to talk to:

• The Wall Street broker? [122]
• The newspaper vendor? [47]
• The carriage driver? [92]

Or is it time to fly to:

• China? [17]
• The United Kingdom? [136]
• Italy? [154]

Score: 8 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: ?

I wonder why every other country is (usually) represented by its capital, but the US is represented by New York?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 18, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Might as well go to Wall Street

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's check the newspaper

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wall Street Broker

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have seen this before, and it never gets old. :allears:

Wall Street Broker please! I suspect we're in NYC instead of Washington DC because NYC is so much more iconic.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Broker

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's go into the dark heart of American Capitalism

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I suspect we're in NYC instead of Washington DC because NYC is so much more iconic.

Oh, sure, but you'd think that if you wanted to find a crook, you'd go to Washington DC instead. :rimshot:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[122] Interview - Wall Street Broker

New York City is home to the New York Stock Exchange, one of the biggest financial organizations in the world. Many of the brokers who work at the exchange have their offices on Wall Street. Your guidebook tells you that a broker is someone who arranges sales for real estate companies or banks. Your contact is a broker, and you find him staring out the window of his big office.

"Yes, I remember the woman you're looking for," he tells you. "She had this idea of making money by cheating people out of stocks. She wanted to pay me in pounds, rather than dollars, but she had a big roll of cash on her. I threw her right out."
You thank him for his help and head back to the airport. [63] You're on a roll!

Where next?

Is it time to talk to:

• The Wall Street broker?
• The newspaper vendor? [47]
• The carriage driver? [92]

Or is it time to fly to:

• China? [17]
• The United Kingdom? [136]
• Italy? [154]

Score: 10 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: uses pounds

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Off to the United Kingdom!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Newspaper vendor

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
To the UK!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's probably because NYC was the site of a crime in another case?

Let's get some news.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

London calling

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

To the UK

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Quackles posted:

Oh, sure, but you'd think that if you wanted to find a crook, you'd go to Washington DC instead. :rimshot:

It's way easier to come up with iconic jobs for NYC than DC, though. Although they could've probably slipped in a Mr. Smith, which takes care of one interview, at least.

Anyway, might as well head to the UK. I doubt the carriageman's going to give us a hair color or anything useful, may as well keep the points down.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[136] - United Kingdom

You're in London, capital of the United Kingdom. It's one of the cultural capitals of the world and has many museums, libraries, and art galleries. There are plenty of historic sights, too, from the Houses of Parliament to Buckingham Palace (where the Queen lives) to St. Paul's Cathedral. A great deal of the city burned down in 1666 AD, and was rebuilt. Then, during World War II, it suffered through the Blitz, when the Germans attacked the city, using planes and very early rockets. Since that time, though, it has again been rebuilt.

But you've got very little time to even think about seeing the sights. You're here with a job to do. The local agent arrives, and he's got a list for you.
"Terribly sorry I'm late," he tells you. "The traffic's very bad at this hour, you know." He hands you the list. "But I've narrowed your work down to three people and three possible destinations for you to check out. Ta-ta for now!" With a cheery wave, he sets off again.

Should we speak to:

• The businessman? [43]
• The fish and chip shop owner? [110]
• The bobby? [10]

Or are we ready to track the thief to:

• China? [131]
• The United States? [59]
• India? [170]

Score: 11 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female • Destination: ?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I bet we’re going to India next, but let’s sample the local cuisine first. Fish n chips, guv’nor!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Fish and chips!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Fish and chips

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I need my Friday Fish n Chips earlier this week.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

[110] Interview - Fish and Chip Shop Owner

The fish and chip shop is a British tradition, and you see a lot of people buying fried fish and thick french fries. The shop owner offers you a helping, but you decide to just stick with getting some information.

"I saw the woman you're after," he says. "A lovely blue-eyed lady. She was heading for another country when she stopped in for a helping of fish and chips. Someplace with a lot of rice. Sure you don't want some fish at least?"
You take the hint and buy a large portion. On the way back to the airport [136] you munch it — absolutely delicious!

Where next?

Should we speak to:

• The businessman? [43]
• The fish and chip shop owner?
• The bobby? [10]

• China? [131]
• The United States? [59]
• India? [170]

Score: 13 • Case: Great Wall • Suspect: Female, blue eyes • Destination: has a lot of rice

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Female, blue eyes?

:siren: :siren: Warrant for Carmen Sandiego Time! :siren: :siren:

also bobby

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought they were gonna jerk us around with the brown hair so we can pick between two people, but this is a pleasant surprise.
Warrant for Carmen

C'mon Bobby

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought they were gonna jerk us around with the brown hair so we can pick between two people, but this is a pleasant surprise.

It should be noted that in the uncorrected book... remember how we established there were misprints in the character cards? Well, as printed, there were no female characters with blue eyes. Let that sink in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So Carmen Sandiego has access to a powerful technology known as colored contact lenses....

Get a warrant for her! And go to India!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Quackles posted:

It should be noted that in the uncorrected book... remember how we established there were misprints in the character cards? Well, as printed, there were no female characters with blue eyes. Let that sink in.

Are we sure that's a misprint? Look at the picture of Carmen. You can't even see her eyes!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rujasu posted:

Are we sure that's a misprint? Look at the picture of Carmen. You can't even see her eyes!

Maybe not from a story standpoint. But as the bios on the cards were originally printed, both Carmen Sandiego and Kari Meback have brown eyes and brown hair. The book says the thief had blue eyes and brown hair. Even if the book had meant to say 'brown eyes', us readers would still have been left with a 50-50 choice on making the arrest.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Quackles posted:

• China? [131]

Maybe this has happened previously and I didn't notice it, but if we go to China will the book call us out for going back to the scene of the crime?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zaroff posted:

Maybe this has happened previously and I didn't notice it, but if we go to China will the book call us out for going back to the scene of the crime?

Try it and find out. :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's ask the Bobby. Both India and China have a bunch of rice (although maybe the book disagrees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Bobby.