Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The game
Pokemon Snap is one of the many Pokemon spin-off games that came out on the Nintendo 64, and it's one of the handful based specifically on the anime. Combining the concept of a photography game with a rail shooter, you drive through several locales on Pokemon Island, find Pokemon in their natural habitat going about their pre-programmed lives, harass them with objects and noise, and take pictures of the results for points and science. It's a quick and simple game, but it garnered enough affection from players that we're still clamoring for a sequel decades later.

The story is such:
You are Todd Snap Snaphat, a Pokemon photographer and recurring side character from the early seasons of the anime. You've been hired by Professor Oak to drive through Pokemon Island and snap the best photos of every Pokemon there. Along the way, you both discover clues as to the location of the rarest Pokemon of all at the time.

The LP:
This will be a 100% LP: every Pokemon snapped, though I may not go for the best possible score because that often doesn't matter. I'll also try to show off as many special, secret Pokemon photos you can get, like all the random crap Pikachu gets up to. Updates are on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday for two weeks.
JigglyJacob joins me as co-commentator while our friend Mugiwara Yoshi is in the middle of moving.
The footage is recorded from a modded N64 that outputs an RGB signal through SCART, which bypasses the N64's built-in blurring and can be upscaled to HD. It may not look as good or run as smoothly as a ROM, but at least all of the graphics are still there.

----------------------------

----------------------------

Fanart

(By GreenGuy)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A majestic eevee.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I never played this and I'm sad about it.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Man, this game was my childhood, it was so good. Everything about it is just so well done, and it's a great way to get a rail shooter to work with Pokémon.

Razer K
Oct 19, 2012

Eaten by a Yoshi
Oh, right in my childhood. I'm pretty sure I spent hours playing this game trying to figure out how to get every special shot. And that Meowth got what it deserved!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This is certainly a face

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, Snap. I didn't play this as a child because i thought it was really dumb idea. I played it as an adult instead and it was just more proof of how dumb a kid I was, because this game is great and the franchise is worse for never making a sequel.

I love just how stupidly aggresive you can get, and how much Oak seems to enjoy the violence. It truly is a Pokemon game in that way, but with all the advantages of not being turn based and actually showing results!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Good that we're establishing Snapchat as a sociopath from the start.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Oh man, I played the hell out of this game when I was growing up. My sisters and I filled out the album, and even made little captions for them. I'm still one of those clamoring for a sequel.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

As a kid, my brother told me that if you beat the challenge scores on all the stages you unlock the rest of the 151 original Pokemon. I believed him for a few years and it broke my heart when I found out that he was lying and I actually had completed the game 100% just like I thought. :(

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah the nineties is when they really started to crack down on violence in schools so the only form of asserting dominance we had then was loving with each other over video game secrets.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

You feed through your face, anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Charizard score was just unfair. That photo deserved more.

Also I didn't know about the Charmander swarm. I've learned something new.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
One day, I revisited this game and went for a grand total score of 250k or more.

Staryu made me hate life but I got there eventually. You can really get some fun shots in this game. I know I'm begging for a sequel.

You got some pretty good ones, too. I had no idea the Vulpix could walk out that far.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You can actually coax the first Vulpix into meeting the other two by throwing a path of food onto the track to them though you'll want to do this as early as possible not screw yourself over.

I try to do this so I can keep a photo of them in the album named "The Three Caballeros".

agreatdivorce
Jun 4, 2019
Snap was a nice, quirky side game for Pokemon that tried something a little different. I think the rail shooter/photography combination worked decently well, and I enjoy the different mechanics they introduce overtime as you progress. I just wished they'd included Ekans here. 1 Pokemon away from 64. They already had it, just use it!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
God, the Charmander Swarm is great. You feed them, and they call to their buddies like "OI LADS! THERE'S FOOD OVER 'ERE!"

Then when they run out they start yelling at you to throw more. It's adorable.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is certainly a face

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Now we're just getting cruel.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Put me in the crowd of "this game should have gotten a sequel" people. It's a crime they didn't make one for the WiiU because that console was practically designed for games where you do stuff with a camera.

Porygon was one heck of a weird choice to show up in this game, let alone this level. An island where pokémon live in their natural habitats,? Here's a man-made pokémon made from computer code chilling out in the jungle! :psyduck:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Icedude posted:

Put me in the crowd of "this game should have gotten a sequel" people. It's a crime they didn't make one for the WiiU because that console was practically designed for games where you do stuff with a camera.

Porygon was one heck of a weird choice to show up in this game, let alone this level. An island where pokémon live in their natural habitats,? Here's a man-made pokémon made from computer code chilling out in the jungle! :psyduck:
They still have a chance; the Switch does have gyroscopes.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, but they missed out on the opportunity to do stuff like having you driving the car-thing around on the TV while taking photos using the gamepad as a viewfinder. It could have even been co-op with the driver using a Wiimote.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the only Pokemon game where they show the Slowpoke-evolving-with-Shellder thing other than just in pokedex flavour text?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As far as I know yeah and much like with leading Vulpix to its buddies, you want to lead Slowpoke to its fishing as early as possible if you want a good shot.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, even the 3DS would have been a great choice!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The island never stops going down.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
To this goddamn day, nearly twenty years later, I sometimes get the valley theme stuck in my head.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm still just trying to grapple with the camera using film.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Fish Noise posted:

I'm still just trying to grapple with the camera using film.

This was before digital cameras became the standard.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Oh, I know, it's just

I keep looking at that film counter and thinking "god it's been a long time"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fish Noise posted:

Oh, I know, it's just

I keep looking at that film counter and thinking "god it's been a long time"
It's like the save option on computer programs being a floppy disk. It's been a while since I've seen a floppy, let alone had to actually use one. Kids born since the turn of the millennium would probably be as confused seeing a floppy disk or camera film as they would be seeing a vinyl record, cassette tape, or VHS tape.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Commander Keene posted:

It's like the save option on computer programs being a floppy disk. It's been a while since I've seen a floppy, let alone had to actually use one. Kids born since the turn of the millennium would probably be as confused seeing a floppy disk or camera film as they would be seeing a vinyl record, cassette tape, or VHS tape.

I was cleaning out my house and remembered that the box I stick old ink carts in is a case designed to hold floppies. I started feeling real old, real fast.

E: ironically, an ancient pair of film cameras from when I was a kid popped up too. Can you even find film rolls any more?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FoolyCharged posted:

I was cleaning out my house and remembered that the box I stick old ink carts in is a case designed to hold floppies. I started feeling real old, real fast.

E: ironically, an ancient pair of film cameras from when I was a kid popped up too. Can you even find film rolls any more?

It seems so! Apparently it's a photography hipster thing. Though I do wonder how long that industry can support itself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Real hipsters use the Game Boy Camera, and the Game Boy Printer.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Finally, those things we've seen this whole time mean something!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ignore this.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Are you ever gonna rescue that Jigglypuff?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Miz Kriss posted:

Are you ever gonna rescue that Jigglypuff?

I wondered the same. You've shown a lot of bonuses I didn't know yet not one of the better-known ones. I get it's nowhere near as cool as Pikachu on a Stump that was a lot of points holy poo poo but it's neat too.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

FoolyCharged posted:

Fujifilm's just recently resolved some raw material supply issues and is resuming production of black and white film in response to high demand, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm wondering if he's going to show what happens after taking a picture of Dugtrio.