Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
As you know people, as you learn about things, you realize that these generalizations we have are, virtually to a generalization, false. Well, except for this one, as it turns out. What you think of Oracle, is even truer than you think it is. There has been no entity in human history with less complexity or nuance to it than Oracle. And I gotta say, as someone who has seen that complexity for my entire life, it's very hard to get used to that idea. It's like, 'surely this is more complicated!' but it's like: Wow, this is really simple! This company is very straightforward, in its defense. This company is about one man, his alter-ego, and what he wants to inflict upon humanity -- that's it! ...Ship mediocrity, inflict misery, lie our asses off, screw our customers, and make a whole shitload of money. Yeah... you talk to Oracle, it's like, 'no, we don't loving make dreams happen -- we make money!' ...You need to think of Larry Ellison the way you think of a lawnmower. You don't anthropomorphize your lawnmower, the lawnmower just mows the lawn, you stick your hand in there and it'll chop it off, the end. You don't think 'oh, the lawnmower hates me' -- lawnmower doesn't give a poo poo about you, lawnmower can't hate you. Don't anthropomorphize the lawnmower. Don't fall into that trap about Oracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

You need to think of Larry Ellison the way you think of a lawnmower. You don't anthropomorphize your lawnmower, the lawnmower just mows the lawn, you stick your hand in there and it'll chop it off, the end. You don't think 'oh, the lawnmower hates me' -- lawnmower doesn't give a poo poo about you, lawnmower can't hate you.

hahah

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
so are you saying I should work for oracle?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I find that deeply offensive. But at the end of the day, I don’t believe that our platform should take that down because I think there are things that different people get wrong. I don’t think that they’re intentionally getting it wrong, but I think-

It’s hard to impugn intent and to understand the intent. I just think, as abhorrent as some of those examples are, I think the reality is also that I get things wrong when I speak publicly. I’m sure you do. I’m sure a lot of leaders and public figures we respect do too, and I just don’t think that it is the right thing to say, “We’re going to take someone off the platform if they get things wrong, even multiple times.”

What we will do is we’ll say, “Okay, you have your page, and if you’re not trying to organize harm against someone, or attacking someone, then you can put up that content on your page, even if people might disagree with it or find it offensive.” But that doesn’t mean that we have a responsibility to make it widely distributed in News Feed.

what a visionary!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Perplx posted:

so are you saying I should work for oracle?

it depends on the organization but oracle is a pretty cushy gig thats almost impossible to get fired from. for example:

i got re-org'd from under one manager, to another manager. this guy didnt talk to me for an entire month. when he does contact me, he says he got put on another team, so i would have another new manager. the new guy is in the UK and doesn't talk to me once for a three month period. i literally did nothing for months. i was working from home too so i'd just play video games/shitpost all day. and when i was quitting they were doing another re-org to move some of the 'classic' public cloud staff to the 'new' public cloud

for the 3 years i worked at oracle i was engaged in some kind of actual, designated work for like 1/3rd of the time

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also my title was hilariously inflated 'principal programmer analyst' lol

i swear to god i never saw anyone below 'senior whatever'

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
oracle's giving up the ghost doing cloud poo poo in seattle and i've seen a whole bunch of resumes cross my desk lately. they poached a poo poo tonne of folks from fuzzywife's old team at amazon a few years back, mostly off of gross overcompensation as far as i could tell cuz i've never heard anyone say they enjoyed working there.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

pram posted:

for the 3 years i worked at oracle i was engaged in some kind of actual, designated work for like 1/3rd of the time

if you are an underworked remote employee and you work on your own projects using your own hardware can they still somehow hang you for doing projects using company time / resources

like do you have to sit around on your rear end for eight hours before doing anything else

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

if you are an underworked remote employee and you work on your own projects using your own hardware can they still somehow hang you for doing projects using company time / resources

like do you have to sit around on your rear end for eight hours before doing anything else

you cant moonlight without permission and if you make a software product theres maybe a chance they can litigate for ownership

but i worked on lots of random things so idk

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pram posted:

As you know people, as you learn about things, you realize that these generalizations we have are, virtually to a generalization, false. Well, except for this one, as it turns out. What you think of Oracle, is even truer than you think it is. There has been no entity in human history with less complexity or nuance to it than Oracle. And I gotta say, as someone who has seen that complexity for my entire life, it's very hard to get used to that idea. It's like, 'surely this is more complicated!' but it's like: Wow, this is really simple! This company is very straightforward, in its defense. This company is about one man, his alter-ego, and what he wants to inflict upon humanity -- that's it! ...Ship mediocrity, inflict misery, lie our asses off, screw our customers, and make a whole shitload of money. Yeah... you talk to Oracle, it's like, 'no, we don't loving make dreams happen -- we make money!' ...You need to think of Larry Ellison the way you think of a lawnmower. You don't anthropomorphize your lawnmower, the lawnmower just mows the lawn, you stick your hand in there and it'll chop it off, the end. You don't think 'oh, the lawnmower hates me' -- lawnmower doesn't give a poo poo about you, lawnmower can't hate you. Don't anthropomorphize the lawnmower. Don't fall into that trap about Oracle.

it's even better in video form
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRN7XLCRhc&t=2040s

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

also better in video form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokNvbiRqCM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pram posted:

it depends on the organization but oracle is a pretty cushy gig thats almost impossible to get fired from. for example:

i got re-org'd from under one manager, to another manager. this guy didnt talk to me for an entire month. when he does contact me, he says he got put on another team, so i would have another new manager. the new guy is in the UK and doesn't talk to me once for a three month period. i literally did nothing for months. i was working from home too so i'd just play video games/shitpost all day. and when i was quitting they were doing another re-org to move some of the 'classic' public cloud staff to the 'new' public cloud

lol this sounds incredible

how reachable did you have to be? like did you have to answer calls or could you just answer emails next-day?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you just had to be logged into their messaging client (some xmpp nightmare called beehive)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
mega mega up loaaaaad~

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

compjuter

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
computer would make a good ceo 🤔

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
possibly bill hewlett for saying "i want a pocket scientific calculator. i don't give a poo poo if there's no market for it. we're making it because i want one."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my dad hoards those rear end backwards old hp calculators

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

cheque_some posted:

Worst is Leo apothecary for cancelling webos and then getting fired a month later after a year on the job

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
the only good ceo is a dead ceo. so steve jobs

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no hes disqualified. check the OP for more info (ℹ️)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

its marrisa, she finally killed yahoo. close thread

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

theodop posted:

the only good ceo is a dead ceo. so steve jobs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

its called reverse polish notation, op

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

also does he got a 15c. thatd b p dece

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
can it be toddd howard? he invented skyrim like 15 times

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

refleks posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

refleks posted:

also that picture of her sitting on teh yoga ball rawwwr

drwiii
Aug 23, 2005

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.
that guy from Takeshi no Chōsenjō

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

also that picture of her sitting on teh yoga ball rawwwr

same but for bill gates seductively draped over those computers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marry/gently caress/kill: zuck, bezos, musk?

You have to stay married to your choice through their and your natural life and you have to do any sex things they request if you choose them to gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in that order because zuck is a reliable robot bezos is a weird beef man with bland taste in his affairs so you know hes not going too weird and musk is musk

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sagebrush posted:

Marry/gently caress/kill: zuck, bezos, musk?

this is a difficult one. if i start killing evil tech billionaires i doubt i could stop at just one.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Agile Vector posted:

in that order because zuck is a reliable robot bezos is a weird beef man with bland taste in his affairs so you know hes not going too weird and musk is musk

its for this reason bezos probably has the weirdest sex stuff going on.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

gently caress zuck because he's a small plastic wimp and it would be easiest to get over with
marry bezos because all he cares about is conquering the world so he'd probably just give me an amex black card and never speak to me again
kill musk because he's probably a gross sexual pervert and whines a lot whenever he gets in trouble for his tweets

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
gently caress: Sex w/ Musk's rocket. He probs made a sex robot by now given how good he is at tech. Gonna have sex w/ that. It has the juiciest boobs and cooks and cleans for u. Makes even the primo ladies obsolete.
Marry: Marry Bezos for that sweet divorce money one week later. Half his money for a one week time investment is a steal of a deal.
Kill: Flip zucks power switch.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I HAVE GOUT posted:

He probs made a sex robot by now given how good he is at tech. Gonna have sex w/ that. It has the juiciest boobs and cooks and cleans for u. Makes even the primo ladies obsolete.
You are a gross idiot.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

You are a gross idiot.

youd rather have sex with musk than with a sex robot in this gently caress/marry/kill scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I'd insist on reversing the order and then kill myself before I have to gently caress or marry any of those douchebags.