Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
It's a testament to the quality of the companion writing that there are justifiable reasons for killing them on sight and raised eyebrows from those who left them alive against the compelling reasons not to.

I'm trying to see everyone's side quests and background this time around cause my first play of any big rpg like this always follows the mostly good against common sense approach, but next time around someone is definitely dying early. And there's so many companions that you aren't even screwing yourself over. Outside of honor mode it isn't even really a penalty to your combat capability, as it might be in another game of this sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Lae'zel is probably the most death-prone companion by a long shot, she would last as long as a toddler in a swimming pool on her own.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

exquisite tea posted:

Do you still get the good ending for the shadow-cursed lands if you do all the Halsin quests then anime betray him by recruiting Minthara now?

I’m in act 2, but so far so good. I finished his quests before rescuing her just in case and she’s in his tent in camp since it obviously isn’t sure where to put her but no one is yelling yet.

Cut Halsin some slack. A straight hottie appeared out of nowhere and solved the single biggest problem in his life. One that has been plaguing his conscience for a century. Of course he’s gonna shoot his shot. Manic pixie dream Tav.

As a person in a long-term, open relationship I do have to admit that Halsin is the polyamorous representation most of us deserve.

Minthara is infinitely more interesting and I don’t see myself ever picking him over her if it doesn’t have other story repercussions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like the right kind of Dark Urge character would have the appropriate amount of impulsivity to say "you know what, go for it" when Astarion tries to bite you.

Donating blood isn't that uncommon of a thing and at least here you can be sure it's getting used. In a world where you can talk to plants and animals that have their own inner lives, the difference between being a vegan, meat eater, and vampire is muted.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Geekboy posted:

I’m in act 2, but so far so good. I finished his quests before rescuing her just in case and she’s in his tent in camp since it obviously isn’t sure where to put her but no one is yelling yet.

Cut Halsin some slack. A straight hottie appeared out of nowhere and solved the single biggest problem in his life. One that has been plaguing his conscience for a century. Of course he’s gonna shoot his shot. Manic pixie dream Tav.

As a person in a long-term, open relationship I do have to admit that Halsin is the polyamorous representation most of us deserve.

Minthara is infinitely more interesting and I don’t see myself ever picking him over her if it doesn’t have other story repercussions.

The guy doesn’t take no for an answer

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Trevor Hale posted:

He's uses to loving things with less than 5 int

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tonetta posted:

He's uses to loving things with less than 5 int

Otto’s Irresistible Polecule

Or Tasha’s Hideous Polycule to keep the rules lawyers happy.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

quote:

Best Community Support

The Lord Bude posted:

and still no patch 5 for MacOS. Act 3 has been unplayably broken since patch 4 came out. Absolute loving assholes, we paid just as much for the game as people on other platforms, we deserve better than the total radio silence we’ve been getting.

wait so which one is it

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

wait so which one is it

I think both the mac players would agree there needs to be more of them before being called a community.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That sucks but imagine choosing to game on a mac and being somehow surprised or indignant that your patches come late

e: I bet long term Larian spends more on mac patches than they get from mac sales

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 8, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This game is so popular that, going by the Steam forums, there are somehow large numbers of people playing this on a Mac and running cross-platform co-op campaigns. The version incompatibility is a recurrent complaint right now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

This game is so popular that, going by the Steam forums, there are somehow large numbers of people playing this on a Mac and running cross-platform co-op campaigns. The version incompatibility is a recurrent complaint right now.

:aaa: I am unironically shocked tbh

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

where the gently caress is my Linux port

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And I do mean popular, it's currently the second best-selling game on Steam:

Four months after release, full price.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I bought it on GOG because it feels like my rpg platform.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The fix to the game not running on Mac is to use Windows like the rest of the world.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

This has not been my experience after 1100+ hours.

Shard posted:

I bought it on GOG because it feels like my rpg platform.

same

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Geekboy posted:

This has not been my experience after 1100+ hours.

same

On one hand people really need to chill out how romance interactions are done in this game since you can always say no. Halsin is also respectful about it, it just comes out of left field. On the other hand halsin absolutely could use an actual flirting/social scene instead of having both his dialogues at the tiefling party marked as [flirting].
I mean in all honesty everyone deserves a gale like friendship scene where we can be platonic with them.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Geekboy posted:

1100+ hours

loving hell, this makes me feel a little better about myself (but only a little)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Did they upgrade the Elfsong Inn camp room? It's a giant penthouse now and I recall people saying it was just a tiny room before?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I threw rocks at Halsin in his dumb loving cage in my current tactician run and then had Kalarch club him over the head with a badass permanent Bone Chill-imbued warhammer and everybody in the party was like "aw poo poo there goes our best lead we are doomed :smith:" and I only regret that I didn't have Astarion fire bolt his stupid rear end to ash and hear him screaming as he fried like bacon

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I tell myself it’s okay because like 350 of that was early access but

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lawman 0 posted:

On one hand people really need to chill out how romance interactions are done in this game since you can always say no. Halsin is also respectful about it, it just comes out of left field. On the other hand halsin absolutely could use an actual flirting/social scene instead of having both his dialogues at the tiefling party marked as [flirting].
I mean in all honesty everyone deserves a gale like friendship scene where we can be platonic with them.

I think with Halsin it feels weird because I feel like I did have to tell him twice? Like as far back as act 1 I was like "hey nope not into it thanks" and then in act 3 he still has to press the issue again. I don't think it was like that with any other companion.

Also are dialogues marked as [flirting] now? Or is it an option or something? I feel like by the time I start my next run I'll be playing a completely different game.

Starfield did that and I think the funniest one for me was "[flirt] I love you." That's how I flirt, yeah

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, that did happen to me the first time around, but you can just cancel the spell before triggering the dialogue.

Stupid question: how do you cancel spells? I just wait for them to time out, which is funny. I feel like you should just be able to stop concentrating if you want.

Also this

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

where the gently caress is my Linux port

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

I think with Halsin it feels weird because I feel like I did have to tell him twice? Like as far back as act 1 I was like "hey nope not into it thanks" and then in act 3 he still has to press the issue again. I don't think it was like that with any other companion.

Also are dialogues marked as [flirting] now? Or is it an option or something? I feel like by the time I start my next run I'll be playing a completely different game.

Starfield did that and I think the funniest one for me was "[flirt] I love you." That's how I flirt, yeah

Honestly people have been finding a bunch of weird poo poo through modding like how many bugged dialogue triggers there are.
Also that Alfria was at least under consideration as a companion.
Edit: Also how hilariously uneven some of the approval bonuses can be. Lots of +1/-1 and then a whole bunch of +10s and few negative ones that can match those.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Stupid question: how do you cancel spells? I just wait for them to time out, which is funny. I feel like you should just be able to stop concentrating if you want.

When you're concentrating on a spell there's a little button on the left below your hot bar with the spell icon and a little x, you can click the x to cancel it. No this is not highlighted or explained in game and I discovered it thanks to this thread about 50 hours in, of which roughly 20 were spent waiting for spike growth to go away.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I just bought my sister a Windows PC for Christmas mostly because I was dismayed at her use of a Mac and the death of our campaign.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The spells are listed under your character portrait in the bottom left corner, just click the x

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

space uncle posted:

I just bought my sister a Windows PC for Christmas mostly because I was dismayed at her use of a Mac and the death of our campaign.

Goddamn. My sister and I are probably getting each other socks or something. That's a great brother right there

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

When you're concentrating on a spell there's a little button on the left below your hot bar with the spell icon and a little x, you can click the x to cancel it. No this is not highlighted or explained in game and I discovered it thanks to this thread about 50 hours in, of which roughly 20 were spent waiting for spike growth to go away.

Tonetta posted:

The spells are listed under your character portrait in the bottom left corner, just click the x

Thank you very much!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, this is it. I had to tell him I'm not interested twice, and then he kind of makes reference to it in the epilogue, and then he gives me a loving duck that he whittled just for me "because you know of my love for whittling"

Sir, I do not because I only talked to you for quest-specific reasons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lawman 0 posted:

Edit: Also how hilariously uneven some of the approval bonuses can be. Lots of +1/-1 and then a whole bunch of +10s and few negative ones that can match those.

The negative ones barely do anything, yeah. You'd have to go out of your way to piss a companion off badly enough for them to have really low approval.

I guess they're afraid of players getting mad if not every companion loves them. Kinda silly though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trevor Hale posted:

Yes, this is it. I had to tell him I'm not interested twice, and then he kind of makes reference to it in the epilogue, and then he gives me a loving duck that he whittled just for me "because you know of my love for whittling"

Sir, I do not because I only talked to you for quest-specific reasons.

I really liked the dialogue option "does it do anything?" Because he's like "uh no it's a wooden duck." And I should be able to remind him that we're all walking around loaded up with all manner of crazy magical items that look fairly mundane.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The negative ones barely do anything, yeah. You'd have to go out of your way to piss a companion off badly enough for them to have really low approval.

I guess they're afraid of players getting mad if not every companion loves them. Kinda silly though.

It's genuinely one of my main complaints that they bent over backwards so hard to please gamers™️ that they made every companion not named lae'zel and astarion total doormats once you get then on side enough.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Speaking of romances I'm trying as hard as I can get to Astarion's approval, and after letting him bite me he wanted to start one of the romance scenes with him and my tactician character alone at a long rest, but instead it was the Lae'Zel dagger desperation scene and then the pro-parasite dream visitor. Is the next long rest the one that will trigger the 1-on-1 scene? Or did I just get cockblocked and it's cut off because I did too many things in act 1 without enough rests?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swen Vincke during the early days of Larian:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

It's genuinely one of my main complaints that they bent over backwards so hard to please gamers™️ that they made every companion not named lae'zel and astarion total doormats once you get then on side enough.

There's been several people in this very thread who couldn't handle Lae'zel being the slightest bit rude to them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, that did happen to me the first time around, but you can just cancel the spell before triggering the dialogue.

Daylight's not concentration so how do you do this? Asking for a friend

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

There's been several people in this very thread who couldn't handle Lae'zel being the slightest bit rude to them.

Honestly the first run through I didn't pick her up until the second half of the first half of act 1 because she was being rude, I was already a fighter at that point [would switch to bard] and I already was being far too trusting of shadowheart. and I was glad I decided to pick her up at the bridge.
I ended being extremely happy with choosing to recruit her permanently.
I appreciate the occassional subtle manipulation the game pulls on the PC when playing blind.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lae'zel's rudeness is just funny to me. For the first 15 hours she's all like "We are to be purified immediately, istik. If you do not comply I will NOT hesitate to end you," while I'm here like oh, you're such a kidder!