Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't watch that many movies in a year, but I appreciate the suggestions and I'll probably end up watching most of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should watch more movies. They're good, mostly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Chamale posted:

I don't watch that many movies in a year, but I appreciate the suggestions and I'll probably end up watching most of them!

make sure to watch X-Cross

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for b-movie action/sci-fi schlock that is bold, weird, bombastic, and/or action-packed throughout the entire runtime—or at least once the story gets going. I love terrible low-budget nonsense as long as it's not slow and boring, and unfortunately most of what I've been stumbling across on Letterboxd lately has had a lot of languid scenes between the good stuff. Bonus points for a unique setting like Raiders of Atlantis or Hell Comes to Frogtown, and for great over-the-top action. I just want to watch something that feels like they really went for it the entire runtime rather than just blew the budget on a few scenes.

Not particularly interested in horror, because I feel like I've got that pretty well covered already.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 22, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Drop whatever you're doing and watch Versus immediately

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Man I really need to see that still.

Scifi action:
Fury Road
Upgrade
Edge of Tomorrow

Balls out setting action that are the closest I can think to Frogtown where it just never stops escalating;
Tokyo Tribe
Yakuza Apocalypse
Nemesis (Pyun)

Weird mental state protagonist action
Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning
Hardcore Henry

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 22, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

Yes, this.

Six String Samurai if that passed you by. It’s pretty old hat now, but it was big at the time.

Doomsday is from Neill Marshall’s downswing, but it’s a love letter to John Carpenter and George Miller filled with great British character actors.

You also might be interested in the works of Albert Pyun. Dude was ridiculously prolific at cranking out pretty-good-B movies, and most of them should be up your alley. His whole thing was getting has-been stars to kick-fight stuntmen while wearing a lovingly-made cyborg costume.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Amazing film, I watch this once a year. It's like an insane mixture of Highlander, Resident Evil and Battle Royale.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Gripweed posted:

I am not going to watch this immediately but would also like to throw 'Tokyo Zombie' into the ring.

That movie cost me the trust of childhood friends and I am not 100% sure that I regret making them watch it.

databasic fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 23, 2024

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Girlfriend is a sucker for romance in movies. What would be a good date night suggestion? I'm a mafia / gang movie lover and never really lend myself in that direction.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

True Romance. You get both.

The Before series
Chunking Express
In the Mood For Love

I know a lot more but I cannot think of them at the moment

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

True Romance. You get both.

The Before series
Chunking Express
In the Mood For Love

I know a lot more but I cannot think of them at the moment

Oooooo, those Before movies look actually really good. I've never even heard of them. Adding all five movies to a note for date nights to come ;-)

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

virinvictus posted:

Girlfriend is a sucker for romance in movies. What would be a good date night suggestion? I'm a mafia / gang movie lover and never really lend myself in that direction.

My Cousin Vinny

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

virinvictus posted:

Wild at Heart ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
As Tears Go By

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Joe vs the volcano

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Carol, Brief Encounter, All That Heaven Allows, The Shop Around the Corner, The Age of Innocence, If Beale Street Could Talk, Desert Hearts. If she likes romance films she's probably already seen Moonstruck but Norman Jewison just died and is missing out if she hasn't. I second all the Wong Kar Wai suggestions and add Happy Together.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for b-movie action/sci-fi schlock that is bold, weird, bombastic, and/or action-packed throughout the entire runtime—or at least once the story gets going. I love terrible low-budget nonsense as long as it's not slow and boring, and unfortunately most of what I've been stumbling across on Letterboxd lately has had a lot of languid scenes between the good stuff. Bonus points for a unique setting like Raiders of Atlantis or Hell Comes to Frogtown, and for great over-the-top action. I just want to watch something that feels like they really went for it the entire runtime rather than just blew the budget on a few scenes.

I’ll add a suggestion for Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Some good suggestions here. Adding:
When Harry Met Sally
The Princess Bride
Last of the Mohicans (sort of)
I happen to love Intolerable Cruelty, which is a rom-com, but many don’t.
A Very Long Engagement

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gonna add "Your Name" to the romance list too

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Moonlight
The 1968 Romeo and Juliet

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

virinvictus posted:

Warm Bodies / Life After Beth - zombie romcoms

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

virinvictus posted:

First Love! Its about this boxer who meets a girl on the run from the mob, you can figure out how it goes from there. It's a really wonderful little movie, fantastic action, good humor, it gets dark dealing with all the poo poo the characters have gone through but it's fundamentally a very sweet movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

virinvictus posted:

Oooooo, those Before movies look actually really good. I've never even heard of them. Adding all five movies to a note for date nights to come ;-)

Warning: The Before movies are excellent, but they are also heartbreaking and soul-crushing at times.

It's like how I watched Scenes from a Marriage right when my divorce was happening and I spent the rest of the night in my bedroom, in the dark, sobbing.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Can someone recommend a movie about heroes saving people?

Specifically, I mean "saving people" in the most literal sense. Less "fighting a war against Nazi Germany" or "Saving the galaxy from destruction," more "Running into burning buildings to pull people out."

"Heroes" is broadly defined: anyone who puts others first even in the face of danger is a hero. Bravery.

Invulnerable superheroes are not brave.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LiterallyATomato posted:

Specifically, I mean "saving people" in the most literal sense. Less "fighting a war against Nazi Germany" or "Saving the galaxy from destruction," more "Running into burning buildings to pull people out."

"Heroes" is broadly defined: anyone who puts others first even in the face of danger is a hero. Bravery.

Ride Your Wave

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hacksaw Ridge

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LiterallyATomato posted:

Super-cheesy, but Backdraft.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LiterallyATomato posted:

First three that came to mind:

-The Abyss (1989)
-The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
-The Towering Inferno (1974)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh yeah, Daylight is a great choice too. Very underrated movie. No villains, just people trying their best in a bad situation.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

LiterallyATomato posted:

Premium Rush is a superhero movie

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Timby posted:

Super-cheesy, but Backdraft.

That's my first choice.

What about something like Last of the Mohicans? There's a ton of individual bravery and repeared rescues in that albeit in a war setting. And the penultimate scene fits exactly what you're describing.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I was going to say Seven Samurai, but I think Yojimbo and even Red Beard hit the spot better.

EDIT: I seem to remember more after sleeping and I'm the type to forget the glasses on my face.

Schindler's List if that's not too fighting-a-war-against-Nazi-Germany.
World Trade Center, no caveat

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 30, 2024

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll work through the list. Just saw Hacksaw Ridge and it did NOT disappoint!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LiterallyATomato posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll work through the list. Just saw Hacksaw Ridge and it did NOT disappoint!

Good. There’s a whole heap o’ rescuing there alright.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Guardian

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Why Don't You Play in Hell (2013) might fit the bill. They aren't weird, but Free Fire (2016) and One More Shot (2024) have action throughout.

virinvictus posted:

That is a tough bridge to gap! For a couple non-stereotypical romance picks, I would say Cold War (2016), Baby Driver (2017), and Palm Springs (2018). Also, Paddington 2 (2017) and Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2021) aren't romance, but very safe picks for a date night.

LiterallyATomato posted:

The Rescue (2021) is a great documentary. For Sama (2019) is another excellent doc, about hospital workers in the Syrian civil war - fair warning though, it is perhaps the most graphically violent footage you'll ever see. The Guilty (2018) is a drama based around a 911 dispatcher. And in that same vein, Bringing Out the Dead (1999) is a wild ride along with a burned out EMS crew.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Thread, I need help finding something for friends&family Movie Night. I have some past successes/failures to help triangulate a bit:

-Repo Man went over well, with a great soundtrack and generally cool stoner attitude, while Tuff Turf was met with open derision
-Phantom of the Paradise was a favorite, while Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was hated but in a way that made for an amazing viewing experience
-Theater of Blood and Shaw Bros. martial arts films are probably the comfortable upper limit on violence/gore
-Ideally less offputtingly horny than Barbarella
-My Dinner with Andre was rejected as an option, because while unquestioningly a good movie it demands attention to a point that stifles conversation

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Clue
Abominable Dr. Phibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Nice Guys