Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Lost Coast Tapes is about a documentary crew who travel out into the forest to see the corpse of a Bigfoot, that a hunter has killed - and it gets more crazy from there. It's found footage style and I really enjoyed it.

YellowBrickRoad is an okay film but has a much smaller budget and it shows. It's about an entire town that went missing. It's been years since I've watched it.

Altitude is another good film and while it might not be exactly the kind of thing you're looking for it has some Coast to Coast AM tropes like missing planes, time loops, and a giant Cthulu rip-off in the sky.

The Mothman Prophecies looks beautiful and there are so genuinely creepy moments but it's not a great film overall.

The Fourth Kind (a documentary/drama hybrid) is an interesting concept which doesn't translate too well. I wonder if a superior director could have made it better.

Altered is an underrated horror film about some guys who were abducted by aliens when they were kids and now they're grown up, one of them has killed an alien. The other aliens are not pleased about this and things get progressively worse for everyone. It's much better than I've just described.

And I know these aren't movies but old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries are available on YouTube and some of the UFO segments (Guardian, Gulf Breeze, Rendelsham) and the Big Foot segments are very Coast To Coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Just watched the 1992 Wicked City film and I need more of this beautifully lit, hyperkinetic style in my life. Would be cool if some suggestions were wuxia films as that's not a genre I'm super familiar with. Bottom line, looking for colorful/colorfully lit gonzo films that will make me :psyduck: but in like, a good way.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I’m looking for Coast to Coast AM style horror movies. That’s horror movies that cover the same sort of topics, (aliens, skinwalkers, secret government projects, etc) or that give you that same feeling where the night is deep and full of mystery.

So far I’ve thought of
The Vast of Night
The McPherson Tape
Legend of Boggy Creek
Phoenix Forgotten

As others pointed out, Mothman Prophecies and Fire in the Sky are the mandatory spot-on watches for that, but for that feeling of credulity and, well, unsolved mystery in the face of the supernatural, also check out Jacob's Ladder and especially Picnic at Hanging Rock. The last might be a bit too classy if you want thrills or scares, but it's probably the godfather and The Godfather of this type of thing.

If you were looking at TV too, you might check out The Bellero Shield episode of The Outer Limits because it arguably spawned a lot of the mythos you're interested in, but the episode itself is not the kind of thing you're looking for.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Oh yeah Picnic at Hanging Rock is just fantastic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thinking about this, Resurrect Dead would fit with the spirit of the ask, even though it's a documentary and the horror vibes are slight. Absolutely feels like a descent into a C2CAM world of conspiracy and pursuit of an elusive cryptid.

And the whole thing is up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYTK6QicICo

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 7, 2024

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody recommend any good political thrillers? I've recently watched The Parallax View and Three Days of the Condor and they've been great. Bonus points if they're from the 70s because I love the aesthetic but this isn't a necessity.

Similar films I've enjoyed are The Ghost (Writer), Day of the Jackal, early seasons of US House of Cards and the original British House of Cards.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can anybody recommend any good political thrillers? I've recently watched The Parallax View and Three Days of the Condor and they've been great. Bonus points if they're from the 70s because I love the aesthetic but this isn't a necessity.

Similar films I've enjoyed are The Ghost (Writer), Day of the Jackal, early seasons of US House of Cards and the original British House of Cards.

Z by Costa Gavras is a hugely engaging thriller that manages to be bleak but offbeat and even playful at times. If you're into it you could follow it up with State of Siege and Missing by the same director. I'd also recommend The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, which definitely centres the politics more than most le Carré adaptations I've seen (not to say you wouldn't enjoy others).

If you're keen on the 70s vibes, strictly speaking The Conversation isn't overtly political (but is a paranoid thriller) and The Conformist is more of a drama (but is overtly political) so I'm going to throw them in anyway in case you haven't seen them. They're fantastic films, not least aesthetically.

Lastly, if you want to cap things off you probably should see Winter Kills, which isn't quite a solid-gold classic like the above but works pretty well as both an example and satire of the genre, and features an absolutely stacked cast.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
The Conformist is incredibly good. Good rec.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Seconding the The Conversation rec, that one’s excellent and absolutely nails the same conspiracy vibe as the ones the OP mentioned.

It’s earlier, but Seven Days in May (1964) is a very good Frankenheimer (with a screenplay by Rod Serling!) about a military conspiracy to take over the presidency.

Capricorn One (1977) is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s nowhere near the caliber of the other movies mentioned here, but it has the fun angle of centering around a NASA conspiracy to fake a launch and subsequent Mars landing because the craft they’ve built is actually faulty and would accidentally kill the astronauts en route. James Brolin, Sam Waterston, and uhhhhh OJ play the NASA astronauts who won’t go along with the conspiracy and end up being hunted by the government after they escape custody. Meanwhile, Elliot Gould plays a Houston journalist investigating the mission after being tipped off that something’s not right. It nails the conspiratorial tone you’re looking for and it’s basically a dumb fun popcorn watch.

I always see Marathon Man (1976) come up in recs for conspiracy thrillers but I’ve never actually seen it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 11, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blowout for an incredibly well made but still schlocky political thriller in the vein of The Conversation and Snake Eyes for a film that doubles down on that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, did nobody seriously say Chinatown? We should be ashamed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All the president's men
The manchurian candidate

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
There was a film series at BAM last month called The Paranoid Style in American Cinema, 1974-1999.
https://www.bam.org/film/2024/the-paranoid-style

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve never thought of Body Snatchers as a conspiracy, but I guess it definitely is.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Not 70’s, but you should check out The Ides of March.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Blowup, The Conversation, and Blowout form a triptych, so if you like one you should make your way to the other. Blowup came first and, in the tradition of the director's L'Avventura, is too into ambiguity to make things definite enough to count as a political thriller; The Conversation is great like Blowup but also so generally mysterious it's not a political thriller (but vaguely corporate?); Blowout just isn't quite as good, but the ambiguity or unknowability it sacrifices makes it explicitly a political thriller. And a good bit of fun.

The Conformist could be watched on mute just for the colors, but yeah unmute it for Fascist politics.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
If you don't mind something a little less grounded in reality there's Terry Gilliam's Brazil

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Blowout for an incredibly well made but still schlocky political thriller in the vein of The Conversation and Snake Eyes for a film that doubles down on that.

what I love about Blow Out is that it's De Palma doing a not-so-sneaky remake of Anthonini's Blow-Up, and kicking Anthonini's rear end.

as for political thrillers -I'd recommend Polanski's The Ghost Writer, the Cumberbach vehicle and based-on-a-true-story The Courier and, despite the marketing selling it as a tragic romance film, Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardener

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

what I love about Blow Out is that it's De Palma doing a not-so-sneaky remake of Anthonini's Blow-Up, and kicking Anthonini's rear end.

Naw, Blowout is a good movie. Blowup is a transcendent piece of art that forces you to reflect on the very nature of the medium.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's an adventure movie that blends sci-fi and fantasy in a cool and fun way like KRULL?

My buddy and I watched KRULL a while ago, and he's always asking me for something similar, but that movie's weirdly specific in tone and style. Beastmaster kinda scratched the same itch, although it doesn't have the sci-fi elements with the fantasy.

I watched Zardoz, thinking it'd maybe work, and while that movie is a lot of things, it's not in the same vein.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Masters of the Universe?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Battle for the Lost Planet

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Franchescanado posted:

What's an adventure movie that blends sci-fi and fantasy in a cool and fun way like KRULL?

Yor, the Hunter From The Future....fair warning it really really really sucks though.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yor, the Hunter From The Future....fair warning it really really really sucks though.

Ha. I thought of this one too but chose to not recommend it.

It's a tough mix to find because usually fantasy is reactionary (we need to fight this change to the status quo) whereas science fiction usually treats change as a fait accompli and the conflict is more about preventing a negative change or transforming it to a more benign one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

Flash loving Gordon

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Highlander II: The Renegade Cut. :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

My buddy and I watched KRULL a while ago, and he's always asking me for something similar, but that movie's weirdly specific in tone and style. Beastmaster kinda scratched the same itch, although it doesn't have the sci-fi elements with the fantasy.

I watched Zardoz, thinking it'd maybe work, and while that movie is a lot of things, it's not in the same vein.

You, my friend, are looking for Quest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypg397JqKk

An incredible sci-fi/fantasy film short from Saul Bass, his only major film work outside of Phase IV.

You also may enjoy Wizards of the Lost Kingdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_glxORVlRx0

Mostly fantasy, but at least scratches the itch a bit more than Beastmaster.

e: Other things that I assume are too obvious or not as trashy:
- Dark Crystal and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance
- The Secret of NIMH
- Tron
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ralph Bakshi’s Wizards

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

There's a bunch of anime series that would fit the bill too. Aura Battler Dunbine, Turn A Gundam, and Panzer World Galient spring to mind. Hell, the theme song to Panzer World Galient should scratch that itch quite nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkqp4d38qY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Escaflowne too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

looking for foreign (im American so foreign is anything not American or UK) vigilante movies like Rolling Thunder, Death Wish, Harry Brown, etc

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust.

In a post-apocalypse ruled by vampires, the half-human son of Dracula is a professional vampire hunter, killing mutants with a giant sword and rescuing nubile young women. The apocalypse happened after a sci-fi future so there’s all sorts of ridiculous scrounged laserguns and the horses are all cyborgs.

It honestly kind of rules.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

There's a bunch of anime series that would fit the bill too. Aura Battler Dunbine, Turn A Gundam, and Panzer World Galient spring to mind. Hell, the theme song to Panzer World Galient should scratch that itch quite nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnkqp4d38qY

Hell, to go back, Castle in the Sky counts, too.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

looking for foreign (im American so foreign is anything not American or UK) vigilante movies like Rolling Thunder, Death Wish, Harry Brown, etc

I'm saddened UK doesn't count but for more modern takes there's The Rover, Dheepan, Elle sort of

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I'm saddened UK doesn't count but for more modern takes there's The Rover, Dheepan, Elle sort of

i was more just saying no American/UK bc Ive seen a lot of them but feel free to toss out recs!!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

i was more just saying no American/UK bc Ive seen a lot of them but feel free to toss out recs!!

Have you seen Only God Forgives?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kvlt! posted:

Chopper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSELr4Dk3eo
Mad Max

Or are you lumping Australia in with the UK?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Have you seen Only God Forgives?

Yup, i love that movie!!

Bald Stalin posted:

Chopper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSELr4Dk3eo
Mad Max

Or are you lumping Australia in with the UK?

last i checked Australia wasnt part of the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kvlt! posted:

In Order of Disappearance is fantastic.