Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Gonna recommend Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) because that's my default recommendation to anyone my mam enjoyed that when we watched it during lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I will say it every time : the Ang Lee Sense and Sensibility is one of the most beautiful movies ever made and your mom should watch that.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Into the Woods

EDIT: I'd forget the glasses on my face. The current Oscar winner Everything Everywhere All at Once might do.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 20, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody recommend any horror movies for kids 12 years old? They don't have to be particularly good. We've watched Brahms the Boy II which was awful but they enjoyed it. I was gonna say nothing with too much blood and gore but remembered we watched 30 Days of Night recently and they loved it.

Monster or ghost or killer doll movies would be ideal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How's the kid feel about goop and cartoonish gore? Any aversion to "old" movies?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That's fine, any suggestions are welcome.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Psycho Goreman

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can anybody recommend any horror movies for kids 12 years old? They don't have to be particularly good. We've watched Brahms the Boy II which was awful but they enjoyed it. I was gonna say nothing with too much blood and gore but remembered we watched 30 Days of Night recently and they loved it.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, back to back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

M3GAN.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

All 10 canonical Friday the 13th movies

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

All 10 canonical Friday the 13th movies

Jason Lives might actually be a good shout because it's hilariously over the top.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jason Lives might actually be a good shout because it's hilariously over the top.

All 10. In order.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Tremors
Child's Play
American Werewolf in London

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

All 10. In order.

If you want the actual speedrun version, it’s 3, 4, 6 and X.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you want the actual speedrun version, it’s 3, 4, 6 and X.

You forgot 5 man.

Thank you for the suggestions, Tremors is a great idea for next time.

We went with The Faculty tonight, they loved it.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

From Onomarchus's childhood:

X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes (I mainly remember the ending, and if you're young enough you just try and forget it)
The Fly (er, I meant the first but you can try Cronenberg films if you think they can handle it. If.)

I'm not sure I even saw The Pit and the Pendulum, the memories are so dim, but a child's horror exposure should include Vincent Price, and that one's another Roger Corman too.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gripweed posted:

My mom was given a DVD player by a friend and mentioned she might try getting into DVDs, so I want to get her a couple DVDs. I got her What We Do In The Shadows (the movie) which I think she'll really like, but I want one more. Here's my list of specifications

A movie, not a TV show. to the best of my knowledge she never had much interest in serialized stories, and if I got her like a big Columbo box set I think that would be too big and she'd end up never starting it.
Not too long or sad or gory. I thought about The Nice Guys but I think that would be too violent.
Nothing that's just straight up for old ladies. I think she'd be bored by something like Mama Mia
Ideally something from this millennium
Nothing subtitled

She was never really into movies before so I can't think of any she's specifically mentioned she really liked. But she did really like Star Trek The Next Generation, for the ethical situations, not so much for the sci-fi. And Monty Python, and Mystery! on PBS.

Something pleasant. But not saccharine. A movie that's a good time but not in a dumb way

A Fish Called Wanda
Ruthless People
Pleasantville
The Truman Show
Human Nature
Being John Malkovich
I heart Huckabees
Other People's Money
All of Me
Brewster's Millions
Ghostbusters

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The Ring
Poltergeist
The Visit
Old
Signs
The Sixth Sense
Mama
M3GAN

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Shoot, forgot Gremlins, Little Shop of Horrors (1986), and Gremlins 2, for a slight change of pace.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Thinking on it further, I'd also add:

Tobe Hooper's Invaders from Mars remake (1986)
House (1986)
The Hidden (1987)

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I just watched Hotel Artemis which was a pleasant surprise and a sneakily stacked cast.

Any recommendations for recent well made/sufficiently budgeted sci-fi that might have slid under the radar?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

glasnost toyboy posted:

I just watched Hotel Artemis which was a pleasant surprise and a sneakily stacked cast.

Any recommendations for recent well made/sufficiently budgeted sci-fi that might have slid under the radar?

Vast of Night! Absolutely loving exceptional little movie that nobody talks about.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gripweed posted:

Vast of Night! Absolutely loving exceptional little movie that nobody talks about.

It's fantastic!

Other suggestions: Coherence, Prospect

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

glasnost toyboy posted:

Triangle (2009) is an absolute whopper of a little time travel-Twilight Zone thing. Not a huge budget, but they wrote to fit what they had. Really well done, knocked my socks off.

It’s older, I know, but it flew waaaay under the radar even back then.

Just chilling on Tubi too.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

glasnost toyboy posted:

not sci-fi, but another sneakily stacked cast is Operation : Endgame. A smorgasbord of funny people doing awful things to each other. The cast : Rob Cordry, Adam Scott, Zach Gallifanakis, Bob Odenkirk, Ellen Barkin, Maggie Q, Tim Bagley, Emile De Ravin (Claire from LOST y'all), Jeffrey Tambor and goddamn Ving Rhames. it's also a solid flick wherein a super secret assassin's guild start killing each other after the death of their leader, leading to some really brutal moments of interoffice politics gone awry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

not sci-fi, but another sneakily stacked cast is Operation : Endgame. A smorgasbord of funny people doing awful things to each other. The cast : Rob Cordry, Adam Scott, Zach Gallifanakis, Bob Odenkirk, Ellen Barkin, Maggie Q, Tim Bagley, Emile De Ravin (Claire from LOST y'all), Jeffrey Tambor and goddamn Ving Rhames. it's also a solid flick wherein a super secret assassin's guild start killing each other after the death of their leader, leading to some really brutal moments of interoffice politics gone awry.

Heads up, this movie loving sucks. Easily the worst movie I saw this year. Despite the cast there is not a single decent joke in the whole thing. Absolute dogshit.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Heads up, this movie loving sucks. Easily the worst movie I saw this year. Despite the cast there is not a single decent joke in the whole thing. Absolute dogshit.

noted, anyone who wants to see it, be warned it's apparently not for everyone

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Gremlins is always a solid horror for kids

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

noted, anyone who wants to see it, be warned it's apparently not for everyone

It's the first movie I've seen in a long time that was so bad I actually got angry at how bad it was. Like, Ving Rhames plays a character called Judgement, and he always tries to work the words "judgement" or "judge" into everything he says. We know he does this because Rob Cordry says he does it during the character introductions. We are told he says judgement before he ever does, and then in the course of the movie he only does it like two or three times. Other characters talk about Judgement saying judgement significantly more often than he actually says it. They had an idea for a joke but instead of actually writing the joke into the script, they just have characters explain the concept of the joke as if that is as good as actually doing the joke. It's loving terrible. Goddamnit!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

glasnost toyboy posted:

Ad Astra

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Thanks friends, some solid recs. I'd seen Coherence and Triangle, very much my jam.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
You seen Resolution?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How bout Timecrimes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Timecrimes is legit quite solid. Just a cute little time travel movie that’s actually well written for a change.

I think it’d be better known if it weren’t for that awful title. Los cronocrimenes sounds way cooler.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
DOA

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is this an abbreviation? All i can find is a martial arts action movie about a fighting tournament

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kvlt! posted:

is this an abbreviation? All i can find is a martial arts action movie about a fighting tournament

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042369/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ah that looks great! thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about people facing the end of their lives, either by their own hand or unwillingly.

Bieutiful, Lucky, Dallas Buyers Club, Ikiru, Leaving Las Vegas, stuff like that
Melancholia is a pretty interesting one, I was reminded of it because I'm watching Carol and the End of the World on Netflix