Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ornithology posted:

Any ideas for lesser known dark crime thrillers/mysteries? Bonus points if it has a neo-noir feel. I'm thinking in the vein of Memento, Seven, Prisoners, maybe Zodiac? I've seen all the popular Korean ones too.

I don't know if any of these are super obscure but the Pusher trilogy, A Prophet, Blue Ruin, Elle, Good Time, Killing Them Softly, Animal Kingdom, Martha May Marcy Marlene, maybe Dead Man's Shoes?

Seconding Cure. I guess you've already seen Burning but it's good enough that I'm mentioning it in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
To Live and Die in LA and Point Blank are solid recommendations. I'd also add Straight Time, Blood Simple, Get Carter, as well as Drive if it's not utterly obvious. Maybe Nightcrawler?

There are a few other directions you could go beyond that really. I think a lot of Mann's focus on the criminal as amoral hyperskilled professional came from the wave of French post-noir crime films, which didn't lack for mood or style. If subtitles aren't an obstacle you might check out Jean-Pierre Melville's work, e.g. Le Doulos, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Kill List for sure, Videodrome, maybe I'm reaching here but also Barton Fink and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

If you're up for dark comic takes on the genre, Under The Silver Lake has some solid Epstein vibes and Winter Kills is an interesting counterpart to JFK.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

vincentpricesboner posted:

Looking for more movies like Chinatown. Want high production values and literary themes and great acting / directing. Being a "detective movie" is a plus but not a requirement. Similiar ones I've seen and enjoyed : Seven, LA Confidential,Memories of Murder.

The Conversation, Klute, Night Moves, Burning, The Conformist.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

On a recommendation from a recent Cum Town episode I saw The Long Good Friday and Day of the Jackal. Both were great, I'm amazed I'd never heard of either one. Any similar movies, which I guess would be 70s/80s European crime thrillers?

Z
State of Siege
Army of Shadows
Le cercle rouge
Get Carter
The Hit

Also this is cheating but in terms of American directors working with that sort of material/feel:
French Connection 2 (I think it's really underrated, although admittedly you'd probably want to see the first one if you haven't)
Sorcerer

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Akapursch posted:

I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me. Try-hard "cheesy" cool is fine. I find Payback to be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it just works for me (despite Gibson's real-life antics souring the rest of his filmography for me). Also doesn't matter if it's an "obvious" one, below is all I can think of currently and I don't mind rewatches of stuff I've simply forgotten (besides anything else Tarantino that isn't on the list, I'm aware of all of them).

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this).

Stuff I can think of that I've seen and enjoyed (in order of preference):

Payback
Snatch
Jackie Brown
The Nice Guys
The American
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
The Ocean's Series
Leon
Drive
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Long Kiss Goodnight

I'm sensing you're generally after crime films so: La Haine, A Prophet, Layer Cake, Grosse Pointe Blank. The King of New York, Fresh, Clockers, Ronin, Amores Perros.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Dekko posted:

I'd like to watch some Westerns, but mountain/snowy ones. I can think of The Revenant, Ravenous, Hateful Eight and maybe the True Grit remake off the top of my head.

McCabe and Mrs Miller is a great one.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

I really want to second Manhunter and Name of the Rose, which are films I really love, plus add:

- True Stories - David Byrne of Talking Heads fame presents a quirky portrait of small-town Texas folk
- Down By Law - Lowkey Jim Jarmusch indie comedy about three men jailed in New Orleans who plot their escape
- She's Gotta Have It - Early Spike Lee about a free spirited Brooklyn woman who has three very different men each trying to win her affection
- The Color of Money - Martin Scorsese directs Paul Newman reprising his poolhall shark role from The Hustler after 25 years, with Tom Cruise as his cocky protege
- At Close Range - Sean Penn is a troubled teen who's brought under the wing of his career criminal father, played by Christopher Walken

The Mosquito Coast is also one with a positive rep that I've been meaning to see.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

I'd recommend Fish Tank and American Honey from Andrea Arnold, Naked from Mike Leigh, and La Haine from Mathieu Kassovitz. Also seconding Tangerine if you haven't seen it.

piratepilates posted:

So now I'm curious about movies that play up the voyeurism aspect, particularly with the camera work playing up the voyeurism aspect, where it feels like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I'm thinking of something like (the excellent) The Conversation, with the intro being a super telephoto lens spying on someone with the park, and the movie being focused around a guy whose job is to just snoop in on other people without them knowing. Anyone have any recommendations on that vein? With or without the previous criteria.

Maybe obvious but Blue Velvet, Klute, Being John Malkovich and Peeping Tom? I'd also say In The House and Andrea Arnold again, especially Red Road.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Professor Shark posted:

I rewatched Eastern Promises last night and could use some more Russian Mafia films. Any good ones?

I don't know of that much that focuses on them, but I'd suggest Little Odessa, and (if you'd like an actual Russian one) Brother.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good

These are in categories I made up just now, each arranged in rough descending order of how confident I am that they're comedies (some are probably more comedy-dramas). Apologies if these aren't your tastes.

Just generally loose and fun and violent
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Nice Guys
Wild Tales

Dark and morbid European things around ageing and/or dying
Death of Stalin
Toni Erdmann
The Lobster
The Favourite

Baumbach/Anderson things
Grand Budapest Hotel
Isle of Dogs
Mistress America
The Meyerowitz Stories

Glorious American trash persons with severely impaired impulse control
Uncut Gems
Good Time
Tangerine
Florida Project
American Honey

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

On top of the other suggestions, I'd add City of God, Consequences of Love, Killing Them Softly, La Haine, King of New York.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Blood Simple
Sling Blade
One False Move
Shotgun Stories
Joe
(I'd also definitely second Winter's Bone)

Slightly further afield vibe-wise but still good, bleak and Southern set:
Angel Heart
Cape Fear (I'd start with the original)
Days of Heaven
Deliverance
Southern Comfort
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
Hud
The Last Picture Show

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

This is a little scattershot but most of these are newer.

Carlos (there's a 3-part miniseries version of this that I really enjoyed as well as a shorter film)
The Conformist
Investigation of a Citizen under Suspicion
The Hit
Le Trou
La Haine
The Lives of Others
A Prophet
Gomorra
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
The Pusher trilogy
Il Divo

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

I'd say for modern things The Town and Hell Or High Water might be to your taste. In terms of small bands of heisters fending off waves of enemies in giant gunfights, I'd actually go for older stuff like Bonnie & Clyde or The Wild Bunch, which have plenty of blood squibs but nothing I'd describe as gory by modern terms, especially since it's so stylised - it reminds me somewhat of videogame gunplay even if it predates it by decades.

I don't like to give anti-recommendations but I have to say Dragged Across Concrete is brutal and sporadically gory and I cannot imagine you'd be into it if you were bothered by Heat. It's not an especially serious film but I'd say it's one that is meant to actively repel the sensitive viewer.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 29, 2022

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
If you're interested in more recent Russian output, then Andrey Zvyagintsev's films Loveless (from 2017) and Leviathan (from 2014) are both very good social dramas that take on the pre-war Putin era

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Spermando posted:

We're doing a movie night tonight. Any recent-ish Korean film recommendations?

Burning is very good. Also depending how much room recent-ish allows for, Memories of Murder and 3-Iron.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

oceanside posted:

I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

I'm reasonably confident that The Last Picture Show, McCabe and Mrs Miller, Paris Texas, and Winter's Bone match the criteria and general vibe. Maybe American Honey and any of Jeff Nichols' films too.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like Boiling Point which are thrillers but have relatively low stakes and deal with subject matter that isn't the usual fare.

I'd say Good Time and Uncut Gems from the Safdies, Martha May Martha Marlene from Sean Durkin, Red Road from Andrea Arnold, arguably anything else from those directors too. Also the Pusher trilogy from Refn. And I'm sure Locke fits the profile but I have to confess I haven't seen it

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies where the main character or a central theme is being extremely, incredibly and/or maniacally dedicated to a cause or belief (whatever that may be). Doesn't matter what the specifics are or if the cause/belief is positive or negative. Some stuff I've seen recently seen that's what I'm looking for

Silence (dedicated to religion)

Letters From Iwo Jima (dedicated to Japanese empire)

Hostiles (main character's beliefs that Native Americans are evil)

Changeling (belief that son is an imposter)

King of Comedy (belief that main character has regarding his comedy career)

As you can see it's a pretty broad/open question so feel free to toss out whatever you think applies.

This is an interesting one. Some of my faves that I think qualify:

The Innocents (1961)

Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Bug (more Shannon)

Whiplash

Hunger

The Swimmer

The Red Shoes

First Reformed

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

feedmyleg posted:

Particularly melancholy film noir pre-70s? Slow, atmospheric, moody kinda stuff.

From the classic noir era I'd think of Criss Cross, Act of Violence, Hangover Square, Out of the Past, Night & The City, The Reckless Moment.

I'd also think Marcel Carne's run of Port of Shadows, Hotel du Nord and Le jour se lève would fit.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

I recently watched Rebel Without a Cause and the Wild One and while the angst and broodiness was great what I really enjoyed was the depiction of car/motorcycle culture from that era. Are there any other movies from that era or set in that era that are focused on car/motorcycle culture?

I'm kinda looking specifically for the feel of old school American speedways, more americana and less motorsport movies like Le Mans or Grand Prix.

These are all a bit later but Pit Stop from 1969 is a fun, sharp B-movie about drag racers that's more about it as a compulsion than a sport.

I'd also suggest Two-Lane Blacktop from 71, about drag racing as a sort of drifter lifestyle, and maybe The Loveless from 81, which is about a 50s greaser motorcycle gang inflaming the emotions of a repressed Southern town, although it's very much a dark and moody hangout film.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can anybody recommend any good political thrillers? I've recently watched The Parallax View and Three Days of the Condor and they've been great. Bonus points if they're from the 70s because I love the aesthetic but this isn't a necessity.

Similar films I've enjoyed are The Ghost (Writer), Day of the Jackal, early seasons of US House of Cards and the original British House of Cards.

Z by Costa Gavras is a hugely engaging thriller that manages to be bleak but offbeat and even playful at times. If you're into it you could follow it up with State of Siege and Missing by the same director. I'd also recommend The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, which definitely centres the politics more than most le Carré adaptations I've seen (not to say you wouldn't enjoy others).

If you're keen on the 70s vibes, strictly speaking The Conversation isn't overtly political (but is a paranoid thriller) and The Conformist is more of a drama (but is overtly political) so I'm going to throw them in anyway in case you haven't seen them. They're fantastic films, not least aesthetically.

Lastly, if you want to cap things off you probably should see Winter Kills, which isn't quite a solid-gold classic like the above but works pretty well as both an example and satire of the genre, and features an absolutely stacked cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

looking for foreign (im American so foreign is anything not American or UK) vigilante movies like Rolling Thunder, Death Wish, Harry Brown, etc

I'm saddened UK doesn't count but for more modern takes there's The Rover, Dheepan, Elle sort of