Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Puppetmaster, if you can find it. I adore the first segment of Three Times, am cooler on the other two. Bounced hard off of Flowers of Shanghai (saw it when I was 18), but many consider it to be one of his best, and I think you'd be into it. Bounced hard off of Goodbye South, Goodbye and saw it in recent years, so if you're not familiar with his milieu, you could save this "gangster film" for later. Same with The Assassin as a "martial arts flick", but that ended up very fine if you knew what to expect. I think that's all I've seen. A lot of fans talk about A City of Sadness, Millennium Mambo, and Café Lumière as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.
Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Mandy, The Neon Demon, Only God Forgives, Tropical Malady, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Evolution (Hadzihalilovic), Climax (Noé), mother!, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, Safe (Haynes), look up Andrzej Zulawski's filmography

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Any recommendations for documentaries about weird people?
herzog's probably your man: woodcarver steiner, little dieter, grizzly man, god's angry man, land of silence and darkness (kind of), dark glow of the mountains

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?
most of my suggestions are contemporary w/ an exception:
-medicine for melancholy & moonlight from barry jenkins
-weekend from andrew haigh
-support the girls from andrew bujalski
-the rider from chloe zhao
-the works of charles burnett
-the works of debra granik

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Arbitrage (2012)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

For some reason, I've taken to unwinding by re-watching Bi Gan's Long Day's Journey Into Night pretty much every night before I fall asleep. I really like the sort of metaphysical mystery/noir tone that reminds me a little bit of the works of David Lynch/the writings of Paul Auster/Borges, but I also really like how... hazy it feels? It kind of just drifts around and not a lot happens. I guess I'm looking for recommendations like that. Kind of slow drifting movies where the plot unfolds pretty slowly, if there's even a plot at all. Bonus if it's got some kind of broad metaphysical theme, but I don't think there's quite that many of those kinds of films out there.

Stuff I've seen that kind of scratches that itch:

Kaili Blues (same director. I also watched his short film the Poet and The Singer, but it didn't grab me as much. Loved Kaili Blues though)

Uncle Bonamee Who Can Recall Past Lives

Still Walking

Paris Texas

Stalker

Calendar (Atom Egoyan. I watched most of his other films and while good, this one I really enjoyed.)

I have Criterion, Netflix, and HBOMax, so if your recs could be on one of those three streaming services that would be awesome.

Thanks for any recs you guys can scrounge up for me!
Since you like Uncle Boonmee, give Apichatpong Weerasethakul's other films a try, they all feel similarly like that

Kelly Reichardt's Old Joy

I don't think she's on any of the streaming services you listed, but Angela Schanelec would be a director to keep in mind

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

magic cactus posted:

I'm gonna watch the Three Colors trilogy as soon as I'm done with my current film, Satantango. I'm actually really enjoying this one despite it's 7-hour runtime (I'm watching it in hour-two hour chunks, or an act-break, whatever comes first.) It's bleak but in a way I find strangely... comforting. Reminds me a lot of Stalker.
The mention of Tarr reminded me to recommend you Gus Van Sant's Gerry and then from there, see if you want to watch Elephant or Last Days.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Among contemporary filmmakers, have you seen anything by Asghar Farhadi or Kenneth Lonergan? Those two would be my go-tos

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

Army of Shadows
gripweed already had plenty to say about army of shadows

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Americanization of Emily is Paddy Chayefsky's take on the sanctity of WWII

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Alright, gaspar noe's vortex bowled me the gently caress over, so now I want recommendations for films/documentaries about an elderly parent/relative's deterioration like from Alzheimer's, dementia, stroke, etc.

Remember seeing:
Amour
The Savages

Heard about:
Away from Her
The Father
Relic

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

oceanside posted:

I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?
Wise Blood and Lucky (2017)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Cast Away, to get the obvious out of the way
All is Lost
In My Room (Ulrich Köhler, 2018)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Not a documentary, but I think Le Quattro Volte captures the spirit of what you're describing

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i've seen locke and it does qualify

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Berberian Sound Studio
Bigger Than Life

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!
Aguirre the Wrath of God
The Leopard
The Favourite
Zama
The Draughtman's Contract
Let Joy Reign Supreme

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Devils on the Doorstep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Sunrise (1927)
L'atalante (1934)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Le ciel est à vous (1944)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
The Apartment (1960)
I fidanzati (1963) and La Cotta (1967)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)