Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

How weird will you go? Maybe try The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. Warning... It's highly surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

Insomnia ticks some of those boxes.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

..."desperate journalist turns to crime"

The Passenger (1975)

Not action or sci-fi though. It's slow and full of existential dread/despair. Awesome if it's your cup of tea. It is very much mine.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
If you're good with just spooky and not outright scary then 2001 or Solaris.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Virginia Slams posted:

Looking for a good horror movie or show.

To give you a better idea for what I'm looking for:

Things I enjoy in horror -
-body horror like the thing/the void
-hopeless/depressing stories like apocalypse/dead world scenarios
-cosmic horror like color out of space
-more grounded zombie movies(as overdone as they are) like dawn of the dead 2004, 28 days/weeks later, black summer etc
-slow burn like hidden, 10 cloverfield lane etc

Thing's I am not looking for -
-generic movies like the conjuring or sinister style spooky haunted house/man in the walls type stuff
-comedy/campy stuff(I enjoy the evil dead/ash vs evil dead series but thats about it)
-found footage(though REC 1+2 were good)

Some of these are slightly off from what you describe, but there's some crossover so I'm going to throw them out anyway.

- Hereditary
- Suspiria (2018 remake)
- Mother!
- Beyond the Black Rainbow
- The Descent

I normally don't like horror much, but I was on a kick not long ago and really liked some of the above.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
It isn't a sex comedy per se, but Real Genius has some crossover and holds up better than most of the comedies from that period.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Crumb is very good if you can stomach the seedier side of it. Anybody who likes docs is probably already aware of Errol Morris’s stuff...But if not then check out

Tabloid
Dr. Death
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I looove Grizzly Man. Good call.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Some of the earlier David Gordon Green movies might work for you, particularly George Washington. Undertow is good as well. All the Real Girls is one of my favorite movies ever too and has some crossover, but thematically it may not be what you’re looking for.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I thought about Old Joy too for a minute. That's a really good show. I wish Will Oldham did more acting, even if that meant he was making less music. He's so ridiculously prolific that he can spare a couple of records.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Origami Dali posted:

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

Lone Star by John Sayles is a strong partial fit and an absolute wonder of a film. The main character never left town here, but it’s still very much about revisiting the past to sort out the present. It centers on a murder mystery, but there’s a ton more to it than that. Cannot recommend highly enough.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?

Probably not what you have in mind, but The Platform meets your criteria and is very good. It’s also on Netflix.

Edit: ^^^ I am evidently incapable of reading.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 17, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Origami Dali posted:

Doesn't get much darker than late 90s indies like Happiness or In The Company of Men.

These are great selections. I love In The Company of Men. Really, any of LaBute’s earlier stuff would work.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I haven’t seen it yet, but it sounds like The Wanting Mare might fit the bill. I’m very much looking forward to that one.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Antonioni is a great suggestion. The Passenger a favorite from him and is a great fit.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Lost Highway is one of my favorite movies, so you may want to take any of my recommendations with a grain of salt. Wild at Heart is another Lynch film that's more of a road movie. I find it to be among the more polarizing Lynch films, so it's hard to say if you'll go for it. Straight Story is a great road movie, but not creepy or very surreal. Strangely, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a good fit, but it's probably not what you're looking for.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Not as dark as the stuff you’ve mentioned, but you might try some of the earlier David Gordon Green films. In particular, Undertow would be a good choice. George Washington has elements you might like, but it’s more sad and weird than dark.

You should watch All the Real Girls too even though it is not a good fit in any way other than setting because it is wonderful and I love it.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

FunkyAl posted:

What is something that's solid that it feels like only you (the poster) have ever seen.

I contribute His Master's Voice from 2018-ish

I'll throw Zero Effect out there. I don't know if this fits entirely because this film got some small traction on release and landed on a couple of best of the year lists, but it has seemingly disappeared of everyone's radar since then and it's still one of my favorite movies. It's a mystery/comedy/drama thing and it's a load of fun. Bill Pullman is a weirdo Sherlock Holmes-ish private detective working on a case but in a modern day setting (as of 1998 when it was released at least). The movie is a minor miracle. The mystery is clever and effective, the drama is touching and provocative, and the comedy is very funny. Highly quotable dialogue too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm. Does Logan's Run have other planets or reference Earth? Been a while since I watched it.

Logan’s Run takes place on Earth. It ends up in the ruins of Washington DC, if I remember correctly.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Not a movie, but On the Air fits otherwise as I recall. It's a very short running sitcom by David Lynch and Mark Frost.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

tuyop posted:

Looking for more genuinely hilarious and weird low budget movies, sci fi is a plus. I loved The American Astronaut and Dark Star for example.

History of Future Folk. It’s on Netflix.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Kvlt! posted:

I think a similar question was asked itt but I cant remember.

I'm looking for some movies/docs about people who are the BEST at what they do. Like just top level professionals.

Some examples of what I liked that fit:

For All Mankind/Apollo 13/First Man

I love the professionalism and expertise.

Heat is another great example. Bank robbers at the absolute top tier.

The subject interests me less as much as "these people are the BEST at what they do"

Zero Effect is about the world's best private investigator who is a train wreck in all other areas of his life. It's a comedy/drama/mystery, so maybe not what you're after. However, it is wonderful.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

escape artist posted:

need recommendations for what's good on the criterion channel. i got a month because I thought it had Straw Dogs but apparently it doesn't.

You can throw a stone and find something great, but here's a variety pack of things I love:

- George Washington
- Me and You and Everyone We Know
- Old Joy
- Funny Games (This one isn't for everyone, but if you can stomach violence and meta stuff then you might dig it. I'm a fan.)
- Fog of War (Basically you should watch everything available by Errol Morris though.)
- American Movie
- Run Lola Run
- Tetsuo: The Iron Man
- Naked
- Paris, Texas

Recommended with heavy reservations:

- Antichrist (The violence depicted is extreme and the film is incredibly unpleasant and cruel in general. It isn't one you watch for entertainment value, but it has value and was well worth enduring for me. I probably won't ever watch it again though.)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Not sure if you’re only looking for period pieces, but… If you’re game for something more relatively contemporary but with an older throwback style of dialogue then Brick may be worth your time.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

whiskas posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight. I went back and saw it 3 times. And ever since then I started to lose touch with cinema. Recommend me notable movies since 2008.

- Blade Runner 2049
- Looper
- Ex Machina
- Moon
- The Arrival
- Pineapple Express
- Tree of Life

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Melancholia
No Country for Old Men

Edit - lol god drat it. That’s what I get for not refreshing.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 28, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Mulholland Drive

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Time Bandits
Highlander

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
The Conformist is incredibly good. Good rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Kvlt! posted:

looking for foreign (im American so foreign is anything not American or UK) vigilante movies like Rolling Thunder, Death Wish, Harry Brown, etc

Irréversible

Don't actually watch Irréversible unless you know what you're getting into. It's intentionally incredibly hard to watch and not the same style of vigilante film as what you have above.