Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Really surprised Harry in your Pocket isn't on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

Western talk got me thinking "Why did westerns die again?" Then I remembered Heaven's Gate. I recall a few years ago some people were saying it's actually a good movie and is unfairly maligned, but I don't know if they are just contrarians. Anyone seen it recently?

Yeah. It's good. Slow, but good. Absolutely bonkers cinematography and setpieces.

edit: "Overindulgent" would be the one word summary, but "disaster" is off the mark.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 24, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

feedmyleg posted:

If you like space truckers, check out Outland. More like Alien in tone and pacing, though, and not much action. Very good.

Another blue collar space movie is Prospect, with Pedro Pascal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Most movies have the hero get roughed up, but not actually get persistent, meaningful wounds. They just look like poo poo but still fight at 100%.

The one that pops right out at me is Karate Kid but that, of course, is both given and resolved within a couple of minutes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for an action movie with soul. Good action, but also something underpinning it - relatable character motivations etc. I feel Point Break is a good example of this despite how ridiculous the concept is.

Man From Nowhere is an obvious choice
Kill Zone 2 is harder to find but has a shitload of heart

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

Heaven's Gate fits this perfectly if you will accept an 1890s Western as a period piece.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Flashpoint is a frequently boring HK cop movie with a Demon Yen minute beatdown in the middle and an absolutely incredible, best in class martial arts slugfest at the end that feels like a continuous highlight reel.

SPL is my favorite work and the last of the truly great HK heroic bloodshed movies.

Special ID and Kung Fu Killer are both pretty good, there is some quality Yen in there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Biggest problem I have here is that you're using a bunch of terms that don't mean anything. Not enough information given.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No trying to be a prick but Kung Fu Panda was a heavily promoted massively successful decade-and-a-half old mainstream animated blockbuster that spawned a handful of sequels and a TV show - recommending it feels like earnestly recommending Star Wars, and if you're interested in a darker science fiction movie, watch the sequel, The Empire Strikes Back. That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xiahou Dun posted:

Timecrimes is legit quite solid. Just a cute little time travel movie that’s actually well written for a change.

I think it’d be better known if it weren’t for that awful title. Los cronocrimenes sounds way cooler.

That's funny. I thought the same. My wife is Mexican and speaks Spanish and when I pitched it to her I too called it Los ChronoCrimenes (which sounded way cooler to my gringo rear end) and she looked at me and said "The Time Crimes? That's a silly name for a movie." so I suspect it only hits different if you're not very fluent in Spanish. We enjoyed the movie though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

What's an adventure movie that blends sci-fi and fantasy in a cool and fun way like KRULL?

Yor, the Hunter From The Future....fair warning it really really really sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fighting Elegy posted:

I got a fun one for you

I've been addicted to 90's thrillers lately. The more outlandish the better!

My friend, you are looking for Judgement Night and Blown Away and Arlington Road.